Saturday's Senior

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited December 21, 2008 in People
Taking time out from editing to share a few of these from this afternoon. This young man was voted Mr. Central High School by his classmates and will graduate in May of 2009.

Our location was downtown Baton Rouge....

Hopefully I can share more once I edit the set.

I think I have discovered why so many folks like using a 70-200 for portraits!

1-
413072228_L8LAd-L.jpg

2-
413071699_zakjE-L-1.jpg

3-
413070858_Ui58q-L-1.jpg

4-
413070088_UpQyP-L-1.jpg

6-
413068789_GXfyy-L-1.jpg

7-
413072641_THFYc-M-1.jpg

8-
413068321_taNrc-M-1.jpg

9-
413073751_2kbJj-L.jpg

10-
413072978_isH5Y-M-1.jpg

11-
413073302_VB6q9-M-1.jpg

12-
413069537_ssBi9-L-1.jpg

Comments

• jayegirljayegirl Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2008
    Awesome! As usual, I am out of adjectives!
    Jaye
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2008
    Honestly, Jeff, you're putting us all in the terrible position of having to repeat ourselves with the usual set of superlatives!

Yup, another awesome set! (Is this the kid who was in the band set last weekend and you said you were doing a shoot with just him?)

I love the processing in 2/3/4 especially - did you do anything particular with those, or was it just the light that was on offer?
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2008
    jayegirl wrote:
    Awesome! As usual, I am out of adjectives!

....Hmmmm....ne_nau.gif

good adjectives......or bad.....? eek7.gif

Thanks Jaye.
    edited November 9, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    Honestly, Jeff, you're putting us all in the terrible position of having to repeat ourselves with the usual set of superlatives!

Yup, another awesome set! (Is this the kid who was in the band set last weekend and you said you were doing a shoot with just him?)

I love the processing in 2/3/4 especially - did you do anything particular with those, or was it just the light that was on offer?

In 2,3, and 4 I had reflected light coming from his mother at my right...and I also used a squirt of shoe mounted fill. 3, and 4 use a "LOMO" preset in Lightroom. 2, and 3 have had texture overlays applied in photoshop.

His mom actually proved herself a very capable assistant. I showed her what I needed as far as holding the flash correctly before we began shooting and I had not a single misfire with the STE2.

Thanks for commenting.:D

...and yes.....he is one and the same from last weekends competition.

408009498_biFt7-S.jpg
    edited November 9, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    In 2,3, and 4 I had reflected light coming from his mother at my right...and I also used a squirt of shoe mounted fill. 3, and 4 use a "LOMO" preset in Lightroom. 2, and 3 have had texture overlays applied in photoshop.

Can you explain to the uninitiated what "LOMO" and "texture overlays" are? Thanks!
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2008
    Fantastic series! Love the B&W w/ the sax.....very Kenny G! :D
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2008
    I love his sly look in #2, priceless.

Also I really dig #9 (the first one, you accidentally labeled two in a row as 9, heh) he looks very mature in it and much like a professional player.

As always, awesome / amazing / inspiring work. (my three adjective choices for the day)
    edited November 9, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    Can you explain to the uninitiated what "LOMO" and "texture overlays" are? Thanks!

You can't fool me...I already know you are initiated!mwink.gif

"Lomo" refers to lomography. Heres a real definition... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lomography

It is a mimic of the look that can be obtained using the cheap russian cameras. My preset differs in others in that I have added warmth and desaturation. Its really just a vintage look that I refer to as "Lomo".

Clear as mud? rolleyes1.gif

As for textures, You just add a new layer in photoshop that consists of an image of a texture over your original layer and change blending modes on the new layer to achieve the desired effect. I will then use a layer mask to adjust the effect locally in areas of the image.

More on that here...
    http://www.lighting-essentials.com/magazine/2008/03/16/adding-texture-with-photoshop/
    edited November 9, 2008
    Idlewild wrote:
    Fantastic series! Love the B&W w/ the sax.....very Kenny G! :D

Thanks....evening is coming early ...and as we were leaving the downtown area I saw a bright light near the entrance to a business and decided to take advantage. That one is all existing light....with all its horrendous shadows.....that adds the moodiness.

Thanks for commenting.
    edited November 9, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    I love his sly look in #2, priceless.

Also I really dig #9 (the first one, you accidentally labeled two in a row as 9, heh) he looks very mature in it and much like a professional player.

As always, awesome / amazing / inspiring work. (my three adjective choices for the day)

This guy was pumped up and excited to be having me shoot his senior portraits. He is the very first guy I have shot who was actually looking forward to it. This really made it a pleasant afternoon....and aided me in getting so many different looks from him.

I tried to get that same mood...as in #9....during daylight, but none of those shots had the prescence that #9 has.

Ill fix the numbers......thanks for the heads up!
  • Scotty_RScotty_R Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2008
    Jeff, you did a great job with these. One of the things I hate about senior work is photographing guys--they're often so inhibited about having their photograph taken that it's difficult to get them to relax and enjoy the process. Your subject is confident and the images reflect that confidence. Great job.
    Scotty
  • SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2008
    Jeff...ditto to what everyone else has said here. These are probably the best I have seen that you have shared with us on Dgrin.clap.gif All you have shared have been great! Venturing into the textures and wanted to see if you would share where you get some of yours. I have found Deviant which has some nice ones. Anywhere else to look for some freebies?
    www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
    www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2008
    Well done...very well done. I especially like the pattern on his shirt and how the wall matches. Now, envision this.........70-200 on a 5D! :D
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited November 9, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    You can't fool me...I already know you are initiated!mwink.gif

"Lomo" refers to lomography. Heres a real definition... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lomography

It is a mimic of the look that can be obtained using the cheap russian cameras. My preset differs in others in that I have added warmth and desaturation. Its really just a vintage look that I refer to as "Lomo".

Clear as mud? rolleyes1.gif

As for textures, You just add a new layer in photoshop that consists of an image of a texture over your original layer and change blending modes on the new layer to achieve the desired effect. I will then use a layer mask to adjust the effect locally in areas of the image.

More on that here...
    http://www.lighting-essentials.com/magazine/2008/03/16/adding-texture-with-photoshop/

Awesome info - THANK YOU! Would you be willing to share a with/without texture example (by pm if you'd prefer not to post it)? I am loving the look of those (especially the vintage-y thing - thanks for the details and explanation on that!) and just trying to figure out the specifics. Thanks so much, as always :)
    edited November 9, 2008
    Scotty_R wrote:
    Jeff, you did a great job with these. One of the things I hate about senior work is photographing guys--they're often so inhibited about having their photograph taken that it's difficult to get them to relax and enjoy the process. Your subject is confident and the images reflect that confidence. Great job.

I know the feeling....sure....its a lot more fun to get a call saying "I want my photo taken" rather than..."my parents want me to get senior photos"....

It makes all the difference.
    edited November 9, 2008
    SitterS wrote:
    Jeff...ditto to what everyone else has said here. These are probably the best I have seen that you have shared with us on Dgrin.clap.gif All you have shared have been great! Venturing into the textures and wanted to see if you would share where you get some of yours. I have found Deviant which has some nice ones. Anywhere else to look for some freebies?

Other than DA...I have found some on Flickr. Just search for free textures...and be sure to get a large enough file that sizing to match wont be a problem.

I have also shot a few from time to time. Mostly rust, peeling paint, concrete...and broken glass.
    edited November 9, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Well done...very well done. I especially like the pattern on his shirt and how the wall matches. Now, envision this.........70-200 on a 5D! :D

Thanks Swartzy...

Yeah...I can't stop envisioning that!!!:D

...but I doubt I am steady enough for anything that thin!
    edited November 9, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    Awesome info - THANK YOU! Would you be willing to share a with/without texture example (by pm if you'd prefer not to post it)? I am loving the look of those (especially the vintage-y thing - thanks for the details and explanation on that!) and just trying to figure out the specifics. Thanks so much, as always :)

Well? headscratch.gif ....is this what you mean?...although I didn't do a vintage look here....the music is the texture.

413498579_ZU8zL-M.jpg413497595_AeU2V-M.jpg
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2008
    Piece of grass coming out of the wall bothers me. OTher than that...excellent as always.
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Well? headscratch.gif ....is this what you mean?...although I didn't do a vintage look here....the music is the texture.

413498579_ZU8zL-M.jpg413497595_AeU2V-M.jpg

Awesome! Where did you get the music background from? absolutely loving it! Since I shoot on a white wall most of the time I am always looking for ways to give somthing to spruce it up, I have some brushes but this is really cool, can you elaborate?

ps I live 2000 miles from you so I won't be any competition if you share:D
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
    edited November 9, 2008
    Seneca wrote:
    Piece of grass coming out of the wall bothers me. OTher than that...excellent as always.

That's not grass....that's a fern!!!!rolleyes1.gif ...don't see that every day around here.

Thanks for commenting.:D
    edited November 9, 2008
    Awesome! Where did you get the music background from? absolutely loving it! Since I shoot on a white wall most of the time I am always looking for ways to give somthing to spruce it up, I have some brushes but this is really cool, can you elaborate?

ps I live 2000 miles from you so I won't be any competition if you share:D

It is a texture downloaded from the deviantart website....and used as an overlay(layer) in photoshop.
  • HiI'mScottHiI'mScott Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    #12 is an awesome shot. I wish I had sweet senior pictures like this.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    Jeff,
    nice series! thumb.gif
    Yeah, that 70-200 is "da" ultimate portrait lens, especially outdoors, where putting a few extra yards between you and your subject is rarely an issue. mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited November 10, 2008
    HiI'mScott wrote:
    #12 is an awesome shot. I wish I had sweet senior pictures like this.

Hey Scott....Thanks for commenting and welcome to Dgrin! :D

about #12.... I knew when we set up the appointment that I wanted to do something with him "in uniform". The problem there is that the uniform looks oddly out of place in any setting other than a football field in front of a band. My "cure" for this was to purposely stand him...at attention....in the most unlikely of places I could find......in the middle of a downtown street. He was, luckily, all for it!

I have always liked "the look" of Urbanaries downtown street captures for her engagement and wedding clients. THough I cannot match what she does, I am pleased with my result.

Check out her work....here on Dgrin! Search.... urbanaries
    edited November 10, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Jeff,
    nice series! thumb.gif
    Yeah, that 70-200 is "da" ultimate portrait lens, especially outdoors, where putting a few extra yards between you and your subject is rarely an issue. mwink.gif

Thanks Nik,

I still used the 17-55 for a good many of the shots Saturday, but did find good uses for the 70-200...especially when I really wanted that isolation. I don't use a tripod...only a monopod....and I will need to learn to set the shot up....and then let the IS run a few seconds before pulling the trigger...to give it time to find me.....and also .....shutter speeds are still less forgiving than the short zoom (doh!)...just something I have to learn to watch for since I have never worked with a lens this long on portraits.

Ill keep it!:D
    edited November 10, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Thanks Nik,

I still used the 17-55 for a good many of the shots Saturday, but did find good uses for the 70-200...especially when I really wanted that isolation. I don't use a tripod...only a monopod....and I will need to learn to set the shot up....and then let the IS run a few seconds before pulling the trigger...to give it time to find me.....and also .....shutter speeds are still less forgiving than the short zoom (doh!)...just something I have to learn to watch for since I have never worked with a lens this long on portraits.

Ill keep it!:D

As anybody who ever shot with me can attest, I almost never use a tripod or a monopod. Even less so in portraiture. I am a big proponent of IS and I feel that extra support in fact makes me less mobile and limits my ability to find "the perfect angle".
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    As anybody who ever shot with me can attest, I almost never use a tripod or a monopod. Even less so in portraiture. I am a big proponent of IS and I feel that extra support in fact makes me less mobile and limits my ability to find "the perfect angle".

Jeff, practice the handhold with that lens. It's amazing. Maybe you just need to workout more with weights (the lens and body) ha ha. Actually, I use a handstrap on my camera as well as an Optech Binoculars Harness and it works pretty well. I can hold that lens for most of a wedding with a 2nd body now over my shoulder.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
    edited November 10, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    Jeff, practice the handhold with that lens. It's amazing. Maybe you just need to workout more with weights (the lens and body) ha ha. Actually, I use a handstrap on my camera as well as an Optech Binoculars Harness and it works pretty well. I can hold that lens for most of a wedding with a 2nd body now over my shoulder.

The weight doesn't really bother me. I have a perceptable pull when I press the shutter.....and use the monopod even with shorter lenses to counteract that motion. Something I need to work on!
    edited November 10, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    The weight doesn't really bother me. I have a perceptable pull when I press the shutter.....and use the monopod even with shorter lenses to counteract that motion. Something I need to work on!
    The heavier it is, the smaller your "pull" will be.
    And I have three words for you, my friend:
    "Practice, practice, and practice"! mwink.gif