Shuttle night launch

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited November 23, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Hi Y'all,

I got to shoot my first night launch yesterday. I've shot daytime luanches before but this was my first night launch.

While waiting for the launch I took a few shots. There was minimal light so I was at ISO 3200 and shooting in manual.

417763440_dqYn5-L.jpg

we had a full moon
417763520_rbH5S-L.jpg

conditions changed dramatically when the launch started and I was able to go to ISO 400
417763803_DgbUQ-L.jpg

417763765_WzNZ4-L.jpg

417763979_LqMoA-L.jpg

417764158_yog2B-L.jpg

417764364_NcfGg-L.jpg

417764248_fuch9-L.jpg

417764626_VLLfz-L.jpg

417763402_AB7h5-L.jpg
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2008
    clap.gifclap.gif Sorry I couldn't be there, glad you could go :D
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited November 15, 2008
    Awesome set, Harry! :ivar I've never seen one of those live. Jealous.

I read that the door to the white room (astronaut prep room) at the top of the gantry-way didn't get sealed before the launch. 11doh.gif Won't be too much left inside there.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    clap.gifclap.gif Sorry I couldn't be there, glad you could go :D

I missed you last night. Sorry that you couldn't make it down.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • DCJarvisDCJarvis Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited November 16, 2008
    I was there too...

Really neat experience.

Nice pics.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2008
    Harryb wrote:
    Hi Y'all,

I got to shoot my first night launch yesterday. I've shot daytime luanches before but this was my first night launch.

While waiting for the launch I took a few shots. There was minimal light so I was at ISO 3200 and shooting in manual.

we had a full moon

conditions changed dramatically when the launch started and I was able to go to ISO 400
    Awwwwwwww how lucky were you to be able to see this Harry clap.gif
    I'd love to see a launch, and I'd really love to go to NASA, that would just be awesome.

Your really in a very cool part of USA for a lot of things aren't you Harry.
    A full moon just to top off your amazing event ... how lucky can ya get.

Ya did good thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2008
    Outstanding thumb.gif
    Michael
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2008
    Howdy Harry
    Morning Harry,

Wonderful series of images, your shots really show the enormous power and energy being released.

I really liked the B&W, it really had great contrast and detail.

It must be an awesome sight and sound to see this in person.

Very nicely done Harry!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2008
    I was wondering if you made it. thumb.gif Awesome shots! Not often you get a night launch with such a stellar full moon. I'm envious. clap.gif
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 16, 2008
    Wow, Harry, what a great experience and you captured it with stellar images ( well lunar images anyway!:D )

I'll bet you worried that they might call it off at the last minute, like they have done previously.

You shot from NYNY did you?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited November 16, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Wow, Harry, what a great experience and you captured it with stellar images ( well lunar images anyway!:D )

I'll bet you worried that they might call it off at the last minute, like they have done previously.

You shot from NYNY did you?

Hey PF,

I lucked out this time and got a VIP pass (thanks to Andy & Llywellyn) so I was only 3-4 miles from the launch site. I was terrified that they would call the launch off and I might never get that close again.
    Harry
  • BPCooperBPCooper Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2008
    Harryb wrote:
    Hey PF,

I lucked out this time and got a VIP pass (thanks to Andy & Llywellyn) so I was only 3-4 miles from the launch site. I was terrified that they would call the launch off and I might never get that close again.

These look great! Glad you got to see one up close, everyone should get that experience once.

Andy, hope you get the chance to come again.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited November 16, 2008
    There is an amazing amount of light. Both before and after the launch.

Very cool shots.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2008
    Wonderful ! clap.gifclap
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited November 16, 2008
    David_S85 wrote:
    Awesome set, Harry! :ivar I've never seen one of those live. Jealous.

I read that the door to the white room (astronaut prep room) at the top of the gantry-way didn't get sealed before the launch. 11doh.gif Won't be too much left inside there.

Thanks David, it was an awesome sight to behold. If anybody gets the chance to come down here and view a launch, before the program ends, should grab it.
    Harry
  • i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2008
    I watched on TV (from North Carolina...) and immediately thought to get on here and harass Harry about pics from the launch. Glad he delivered! :D
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 16, 2008
    Harryb wrote:
    Hey PF,

I thought your shots were much clearer than when we were shooting across the ICW.

What a great thrill to experience.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2008
    Is that the largest bird you have ever captured? rolleyes1.gif

Great set Harry clap.gif
    edited November 16, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    I thought your shots were much clearer than when we were shooting across the ICW.

What a great thrill to experience.

It was incredible. :jawdrop To be that close with the light and sound. Its just one of those experiences where words are not adequate and one that you don't ever forget.
    Harry
    edited November 16, 2008
    DCJarvis wrote:
    I was there too...

Really neat experience.

Looks like you were shooting from the same area I was. It was an amazing expereince.
    Harry
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2008
    Absolutely jaw-dropping gorgeous Harry! I'm so envious! Glad you were there to capture these images and you did an excellent job. And a full moon too, how cool is that? Congratulations!
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2008
    DCJarvis wrote:
    I was there too...

Amazing photos, what an amazing experience it must have been!
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2008
    One of the things I miss about living in Florida was getting out to the Cape to watch launches. I had a few of those 3 mile passes on occasion and it is down right indescribable to explain the power and fury that one feels. Even at nine miles it is incredible.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
    edited November 17, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    Awwwwwwww how lucky were you to be able to see this Harry clap.gif
    I'd love to see a launch, and I'd really love to go to NASA, that would just be awesome.

Your really in a very cool part of USA for a lot of things aren't you Harry.
    A full moon just to top off your amazing event ... how lucky can ya get.

Ya did good thumb.gif .... Skippy :D

Yep, I am lucky. I moved to a location where I'm 10 minutes from one of the prime wildlife locales in the country and a 40 minute drive to Kenndy Space Center.

If you can make sit back to the state before they end the shuttle origram it would be well worth the trip.
    Harry
    edited November 17, 2008
    DaddyO wrote:
    Outstanding thumb.gif

Thanks you very much.
    Harry
    edited November 17, 2008
    Panther wrote:
    Morning Harry,

Wonderful series of images, your shots really show the enormous power and energy being released.

I really liked the B&W, it really had great contrast and detail.

It must be an awesome sight and sound to see this in person.

Very nicely done Harry!!

Thanks very much Craig and it was something to see.
    Harry
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2008
    What beautiful photos thumb.gif

Bet is was awesome to see.
    edited November 17, 2008
    BPCooper wrote:
    These look great! Glad you got to see one up close, everyone should get that experience once.

Andy, hope you get the chance to come again.

Thanks it was an experience that will stay with me.
    Harry
    edited November 17, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    I was wondering if you made it. thumb.gif Awesome shots! Not often you get a night launch with such a stellar full moon. I'm envious. clap.gif

Many, many thanks Kerry. I've seen daylight launches before (not this close) but a night launch is in a whole separate category. My only regret was that the full moon was over the wrong launch pad. :D
    Harry
    edited November 18, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    There is an amazing amount of light. Both before and after the launch.

Very cool shots.

Thanks Ian, the light from the launch was astounding. It went from darkness to daylight in a few seconds.
    Harry
    edited November 18, 2008
    Wonderful ! clap.gifclap

Thanks Awais wave.gif
    Harry