DSS #12 Massive or Minuscule Feedback

GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
edited November 18, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
All right...here's your awesome work in your very own gallery:

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/6578564_DiYqN#418968259_NVWkE

I will add the judges feedback to the images in the gallery as soon as I have it. :ivar
Emily
Psalm 62:5-6

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2008
    Thanks Emily. Well done. clap.gif
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2008
    This is terrific, Emily! I hope it works out for everybody - I really like it so far.

I'm starting to add comments, although it's going to take me a while! Will have to do this in installments. Also, I apologise if I commented as "guest" in some - didn't realise I had to manually enter my name until I'd already written a couple.

Also, I apologise to whoever posted the python. I'm COMPLETELY and irrationally snakeaphobic (sad, but true) and even looking at images weirds me out :oogle, so i just have to skip that one. My daughter says it's a really neat shot, but that's about as far as I can go with it :uhoh Sorry!

Also, just a general comment: when I first started following the challenges back in the summer, it seemed there was constant traffic from the day it was announced. Now, it seems really slow for the first 10 days or so, and then KABOOM! Lots of great entries in the final weekend. Not sure this is actually important, it just struck me as a changing trend.... ::muses::
  • HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    ...I'm starting to add comments, although it's going to take me a while! Will have to do this in installments. Also, I apologise if I commented as "guest" in some - didn't realise I had to manually enter my name until I'd already written a couple...

I wouldn't have realized that either. So if you're logged into Digital Grin, your name doesn't automatically show up with your comments?

I think it's OK to give/receive anonymous comments, but much better to know who's commenting since it helps to understand that person's perspective in interpreting the critique.

Emily: if we need to type our names to identify ourselves in our comments in the gallery, could you please highlight that fact in your lead-in instructions?
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2008
    My name came up automatically
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2008
    Ok guys, I'm going to start making my own comments in there. I will not be making my top ten selection until later, however.

Yes, this means I will now know whose image is whose, but that is unavoidable with this trial format. I will be doing my best to put unbiased, considerate thought into my selections.

The poll will be posted in the morning guys, so be on the lookout then. :D
    Emily

• TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    Also, just a general comment: when I first started following the challenges back in the summer, it seemed there was constant traffic from the day it was announced. Now, it seems really slow for the first 10 days or so, and then KABOOM! Lots of great entries in the final weekend. Not sure this is actually important, it just struck me as a changing trend.... ::muses::

In my opinion it depends on the challenge itself, and how fast thought processes come to mind, and how fast we can accomplish the composition.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
    edited November 17, 2008
    Halite wrote:
    I wouldn't have realized that either. So if you're logged into Digital Grin, your name doesn't automatically show up with your comments?

I think it's OK to give/receive anonymous comments, but much better to know who's commenting since it helps to understand that person's perspective in interpreting the critique.

Emily: if we need to type our names to identify ourselves in our comments in the gallery, could you please highlight that fact in your lead-in instructions?

Instructions post is here. thumb.gif
    Emily

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2008
    ugh, no spell check or edit tab....im doomed
    Aaron Nelson
    edited November 17, 2008
    lol3.gif
    Emily

• KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2008
    This was a fun challenge. Thanks Emily. There are some wonderful images. It is also nice to see a few new "faces" in the community.

Even with the new format, I would still like to present my favs.

418954833_ynYUJ-L

I will add the where-as and why-fors in the gallery on these and all the others as I can. Good job everyone!

— Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2008
    Nice and easy to get around - thanks! I left a comment while I was logged in but it did not show my name either. ne_nau.gif
  • achambersachambers Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2008

I'm with Aaron, already have my first mis-spell.
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

"The point in life isn't to arrive at our final destination well preserved and in pristine condition, but rather to slide in sideways yelling.....Holy cow, what a ride."
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif Me too!

rolleyes1.gif
    edited November 17, 2008
    Eia wrote:
    Nice and easy to get around - thanks! I left a comment while I was logged in but it did not show my name either. ne_nau.gif

Must be logged into your SmugMug gallery, not just Dgrin. When in doubt, sign your name. thumb.gif
    Emily

edited November 17, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif Me too!

rolleyes1.gif

Aww heckfire, we're all in the same boat on that one!
    Emily

edited November 17, 2008
    now ive left some c&c, some uplifting happy smiles stuff, and some nit pick stuff...after leaving the comments they dont seem to read as "nice" as i would like so i guess if anyone is offended...sorry, im just trying to give my perspective on your entry....

btw, the comment auto fills my name as my smugmug home page name which is "pictureworks".....

fyi.........
    Aaron Nelson
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2008
    achambers wrote:
    I'm with Aaron, already have my first mis-spell.

All a'yall need to start using Firefox: build in spellcheck
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2008
    Dq'd
    Hey Emily, I was just reviewing this process and notced a DQ by my picture in the gallery section. I have never been disqualified in the past and I'm just curious as to why I would be now? Please clarify......

Joe
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2008
    hehe a lot more image towards the beginning seem to have comments, i guess people are getting tired. I think I'll start from the back.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
    edited November 17, 2008
    hEY eMILY......
    Is it possible that you DQ'd me because I copied and pasted the exif data like I have in the past? Well I tried to get the exif data from smugmug like I have in the past and when I click on it at the exif button the link that they provide is this

http://imax.smugmug.com

So I should not be DQ'd for that, I provided it the only way I could have.

Joe

imax wrote:
    Hey Emily, I was just reviewing this process and notced a DQ by my picture in the gallery section. I have never been disqualified in the past and I'm just curious as to why I would be now? Please clarify......

Joe
    edited November 17, 2008
    imax wrote:
    Is it possible that you DQ'd me because I copied and pasted the exif data like I have in the past? Well I tried to get the exif data from smugmug like I have in the past and when I click on it at the exif button the link that they provide is this

http://imax.smugmug.com

So I should not be DQ'd for that, I provided it the only way I could have.

Joe

Joe,

I'm afraid your problem boils down to user error. I had no issues:

417527660_Q3g2D-M.jpg
    EXIF

Let me know if you would like further instructions, and as always, I'll do my best to help.
    Emily

• davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2008
    Joe,

I'm afraid your problem boils down to user error. I had no problem:

417527660_Q3g2D-M.jpg
    EXIF

Let me know if you would like further instructions, and as always, I'll do my best to help.

Emily, if you're going to put these pictures into a Smugmug gallery, why are the EXIF's needed anymore?
    When you put the photo in the gallery, all you have to do if click on the "I".

Now if the photo was stripped of the EXIF I could see the DQ, but if after it's placed in the gallery, why would you need it in the post also?
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
    edited November 17, 2008
    Like Kevin, I too would like to include a faves list. There were MANY near misses in this round for me - I could have picked two top-10s and been happy with either list! GREAT job, everybody!thumb.gif

In the order they appear in the Gallery:

AnnasPhotos - Crawling ToThe Top
    PaulThomasMcKee - Wall Street vs Main Street
    pyry - Wonder
    Lust - Story of a minuscule drop that ended to a massive splash
    Mnemosyne - My photo
    pyroPrints com - Sangre
    RebeccaHelm- Desert scale
    Tentacion - American Consumption
    jeffmeyers - Toy Town St Louis
    liflander - Attack of the Giant Baby
    edited November 17, 2008
    davev wrote:
    Emily, if you're going to put these pictures into a Smugmug gallery, why are the EXIF's needed anymore?
    When you put the photo in the gallery, all you have to do if click on the "I".

Now if the photo was stripped of the EXIF I could see the DQ, but if after it's placed in the gallery, why would you need it in the post also?

EXIF is not transferred when I place them in a gallery.
    Emily

• FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2008
    hehe a lot more image towards the beginning seem to have comments, i guess people are getting tired. I think I'll start from the back.

Excellent idea!!

Some of us should start in the middle too!

I'm trying to work out my top ten (it ain't easy) so have commented only on a few scattered throughout at this point. It will take me a bit longer just to get my top ten chosen, hopefully by the end of the day. Later I will try to comment on the rest. It is really good practice to try to make meaningful comments, but it takes a lot of thought.

Virginia

Email
    edited November 17, 2008
    Emily, I have been in this contest for almost three years, I find it hard to believe that I forgot how to do something that I have continuosly done in the past. I would love to know where you got the exif info from because I still can't find it using this computer, the same one for two years. I click on exif and get my main page, so I must be stupid!

I'll contact smugmug and see if they can help me out, I just wish it would have been pointed out to me earlier. I know I know follow the rules right?

Best of luck to you all.......

Joe

Joe,

I'm afraid your problem boils down to user error. I had no issues:

417527660_Q3g2D-M.jpg
    EXIF

edited November 17, 2008
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Excellent idea!!

Some of us should start in the middle too!

Virginia

how about "at random"?! Seriously, I'm just looking at the gallery and when the thoughts come together I post a comment :) I'm loving the system, though - it's a GREAT idea!

Btw, Emily, what's the protocol on responding to comments, or would you rather we reply to anything via PM or in the feedback thread itself? Just checking what you would prefer us to do (since I can imagine it might clutter it up a bit while you guys are deciding, and dno't want to make it any MORE complicated for y'all!! :)
    edited November 17, 2008
    if we download the image ourselves to the gallery the exif would be there (if a smugmug account)wonder if there is a way to do it that way...
    Aaron Nelson
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2008
    EXIF is not transferred when I place them in a gallery.

Did you go to his site to get it then DQ it, cause when I click on the photo's "I", it's there.

If your putting the photo in your computer, then uploading it to a Smugmug site, doesn't the embedded info go with it?

Not trying to cause a problem, I'm just trying to understand.

419130831_HE9GX-O.jpg
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
    edited November 17, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    how about "at random"?! Seriously, I'm just looking at the gallery and when the thoughts come together I post a comment :) I'm loving the system, though - it's a GREAT idea!

Btw, Emily, what's the protocol on responding to comments, or would you rather we reply to anything via PM or in the feedback thread itself? Just checking what you would prefer us to do (since I can imagine it might clutter it up a bit while you guys are deciding, and dno't want to make it any MORE complicated for y'all!! :)

Please respond in the feedback gallery! thumb.gif
    Emily