DSS #12 Massive or Minuscule Feedback

2»

Comments

• GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2008
    Dave,

I checked all exifs from the entry thread, as usual. The feedback gallery at this point is a trial, and most of the entries do not have exif attached. I am not going to change any ways of uploading entries or rules regarding exif until we have determined that the gallery is a permanent feature.

If Joe or anyone else has a problem linking exif to their entry, I would encourage you to seek advice from myself, Doc, Dgrin/SmugMug support, or your fellow Dgrinners prior to the close of a round.
    davev wrote:
    Did you go to his site to get it then DQ it, cause when I click on the photo's "I", it's there.

If your putting the photo in your computer, then uploading it to a Smugmug site, doesn't the embedded info go with it?

Not trying to cause a problem, I'm just trying to understand.

Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2008
    Hey Joe, SM has a bug with the EXIF link that we pointed out a bit earlier in this contest. On the actual EXIF page, the green link it shows is a link to your homepage, not to the EXIF. So don't copy that green link until the bug is fixed.

To get around this, when you click on the "Info" button in the flyout, right-click on "Photo Information" and select "Copy Link Location." Then paste that link into your entry post. This way the correct link gets copied. thumb.gif
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2008
    imax,
    i've had a similar problem where the link provided doesn't actually link to the exif, but if you copy the link from the browsers address bar, it seems to work just fine =c)
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
    edited November 17, 2008
    Hey guys - I am reallowing Joe's entry for this round while he seeks support. We can all see that he does have valid exif, and I have searched many of your sites to verify insufficuient exifs in the past, so please, no complaints.
    Emily

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited November 17, 2008
    imax wrote:
    Emily, I have been in this contest for almost three years, I find it hard to believe that I forgot how to do something that I have continuosly done in the past. I would love to know where you got the exif info from because I still can't find it using this computer, the same one for two years. I click on exif and get my main page, so I must be stupid!

I'll contact smugmug and see if they can help me out, I just wish it would have been pointed out to me earlier. I know I know follow the rules right?

Best of luck to you all.......

Joe

Hi Joe,

I'm not sure what happened but it looks like you just need to embed your EXIF in the link. You can do that by doing something like this:

[noparse]

417527660_Q3g2D-M.jpg
    EXIF

[/noparse]

I'm sure there's an easier way but as you an see, everything before "_" is the ImageID and everything after the "_" and before "-", the "ImageKey".

Davev, I can see some images in the gallery have their EXIF in place while some others do not (for whatever reason). By linking back to the original image, you get the EXIF. Not sure why it doesn't transfer though.

The gallery is a new thing. I personally like it. There are some kinks to work out but overall, it's a step forward for certain. Thanks to GS for suggesting it!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2008
    Hey guys - I am reallowing Joe's entry for this round while he seeks support. We can all see that he does have valid exif, and I have searched many of your sites to verify insufficuient exifs in the past, so please, no complaints.

Good call. I have no problem with de-DQing him. nod.gif
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited November 17, 2008
    I pop in for the first time in probably 2 weeks to see how things are going, how you guys are being to Emily, especially with this new gallery initiative... and what do I find? Exif bickering!!!

lol3.gif

some things will never change.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• hamsterhamster Registered Users Posts: 361 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Hey Joe, SM has a bug with the EXIF link that we pointed out a bit earlier in this contest. On the actual EXIF page, the green link it shows is a link to your homepage, not to the EXIF. So don't copy that green link until the bug is fixed.

To get around this, when you click on the "Info" button in the flyout, right-click on "Photo Information" and select "Copy Link Location." Then paste that link into your entry post. This way the correct link gets copied. thumb.gif

I did not know this, and got disqualified. I saw the bug and wasn't sure what to do so I just added it. Bummer.

Edit: and this is not a gripe, it's the truth. DQ is fine with me, I will make sure next time I get it right.
  • kungalooshkungaloosh Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited November 17, 2008
    I am un able to comment on the photos. I would love to as requested, but I have tried several times this afternoon and have been unsuccessfull each time. I also cannot see any comments from anyone else.

Is this just me? or is anyone else having this problem?
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2008
    While I did not enter this challenge I see a potential issue with posting them in a gallery.

Currently the gallery is not set up with right click protect. deal.gif When they were posted on here it was not as big an issue because most of the viewers are participants. Now that it is on smugmug the viewers could be on a significantly broader spectrum.

We have had people have their photos taken- I would hate to see those numbers increase.

Please- for all the contestents- disable right click!
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2008
    kungaloosh wrote:
    I am un able to comment on the photos. I would love to as requested, but I have tried several times this afternoon and have been unsuccessfull each time. I also cannot see any comments from anyone else.

Is this just me? or is anyone else having this problem?

Plenty of us are commenting, so it seems it's a unique problem with your access - it's working fine for me (and I don't have a smugmug account). Perhaps one of the smugmug gurus can help you out....
  • liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2008
    kudos on the comments gallery
    Emily and everyone responsible for the comments gallery -- nice work! I had no problem posting comments. I was logged into my SmugMug account, and the posts automatically attributed to me. This is a great forum for sharing and commenting on the challenges. I like the idea of right-click protection.
    -Mark Liflander
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited November 17, 2008
    anwmn1 wrote:

Please- for all the contestents- disable right click!

Sorry this wasn't done earlier. I've gotten someone to take care of it for us.

Thanks for pointing that out!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited November 18, 2008
    Sean will be adding his feedback into the gallery, but here's his full report:

I took this round and my judging responsibility very seriously. I stayed away from all of the threads and after work I managed to download all of the images to a folder without knowing any of the artists names by covering the left side of the screen while downloading them. I decided to rate my picks by not looking at the titles of any of the images, in my opinion if the image does not speak the theme without a title then it doesn't really speak it. As it turned out two of my picks did not have any titles at all.

I went about choosing by going through three levels of judging; The first level was an initial rating system that took into account if the image fit the theme, my overall personal impression of the image, Composition, Originality and lastly Overall Quality. I decided not to add or subtract any “points” for title or lack of title but reading the titles after the fact was entertaining. The second level was to go over all the images again with my gut feeling picks and compare those to my tallied images to see how closely they matched. The third level was to decide which images to cull, I ended up with a tie between 6 images and in the end it was my emotional response, not the technical aspects of an image that made it stand out above the others.

The following comments are of course just one persons opinion and even my opinion may vary on a different day so please remember that it is not the be all or end all. What matters is if you as an artist like what you did.

#9 KevXman – Reaching For Heaven
    This dramatic image hit me right off as being one of my favorites, it plainly feels massive and I love the sense of both movement and permanence. The tonal balance and overall quality of the image goes a long way here although a bit more black would work even better. The only negative part of it for me is the very bottom strip of grass attracts more of my attention then I would like but it is important that it is there to maintain the balance. Maybe lowering the brightness of the grass would help?

#11 Divamum - We Hold This Tooth to be Self Evident......
    Without the people in this image it would not be anywhere near a good, right off it feels massive the title of massive molar just keeps ringing in my head. It has a very old feel to it and makes me think I'm looking at an oddity from the early 1900's. The only negative part of it is somehow the way it's cropped at the bottom bothers me. The green is growing on me. In the end it ended up being in my top 10 because of the very strong theme fit.

#17 pyry - Wonder
    This did not fit the theme as strongly as some of the other top 10 picks for me but the overall idea and execution won me over, this was a close tie with several others. Color and a tighter comp may have pushed it up a few notches. Really well done lighting!

#21 ic4u - "Mini Me"
    Another close tie among a few others. The human element and the way the image made me think about childhood and discovery is what hit it home for me. A tiny bit more on the bottom of the image so as to not cut off the heel of the shoe might have refined the leading bottom right to top left flow in the comp.

#23 Mnemosyne – my photo
    When I was choosing my picks, I was looking at each photo without the titles, titles did not weigh in at all in how each image ranked so the lack of title in this image was far outweighed by the obvious minuscule proportions within it. Great comp and it just makes me smile, those gloves are just so tiny! The background addition of the eye finished this off very nicely. The only detractor for me is the amount of noise in the background.

#29 Troy Raymond - Playin' Around
    I Love this idea! Looking at it with the title makes me like it even more with a possible intended pun in the title. The way you have manipulated the tonal values in this image to bring all the attention to the main subject works very well. Very clearly communicated and nicely composed, great depth. The big detractor in this for me is the bright line near the head of the person in the background, is it supposed to be the antenna of the remote?

#35 slowwalker – no title
    Once again lack of title did not hurt this as it communicates the enormity of the python skin very well. Reading the description now adds some background information but it was not necessary at all to hit home the theme for me. The wrinkly background sheet is my “pet” peeve in this one.

#39 liflander - Attack of the Giant Baby!
    Another image that immediately stuck out for me as a top 10 image, I feel like a bug looking up at this massive creature that could destroy my existence at any second. Nice black background and great perspective! The right foot being cut off is my biggest concern in this one.

#45 PaulThomasMcKee - Wall Street vs. Main Street
    Super balance and great story telling in this image, even without knowing the title I got it and you have hit the theme squarely on target! Even the reflection of white on the brief case makes me believe the illusion. If it wasn't for the shadows at the bottom of the frame, this image would be even better! It makes me think of a magazine cover.

#48 cmurph - A nice place to read
    I think this one has grown on me to be one of my top favorites this round. Initially I hated the treatment it just makes me feel like you didn't expose it correctly and pushed the details out of the shadows unnaturally. Where you have won me over is how much it screams the theme and a perfect 10 for originality! The more I look at it the more I like it and the treatment starts to feel right. It has a classic Norman Rockwell feel to it.
    Emily

• Troy RaymondTroy Raymond Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2008
    Sweet, as my first DSS challenge I find Sean's report quite interesting, I've never really had my work 'professionally' critiqued before.

And Yes, the line is the remotes antenna. I take photos for a club all the time and never even thought of the antenna being distracting. I will make sure to take this into consideration.

Everyone's photos were fantastic, this is really fun! thumb.gif

Troy
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2008
    I would like to take a moment to thank all who commented on my photo and selected me in their favs.....This mean't alot to me although it didn't make finalist selection, but as an Artist I am COMPLETELY satisfied with my entry....

Peace to all and good luck to all on future rounds!!

Donna P.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2008
    Tentacion wrote:
    I would like to take a moment to thank all who commented on my photo and selected me in their favs.....This mean't alot to me although it didn't make finalist selection, but as an Artist I am COMPLETELY satisfied with my entry....

Peace to all and good luck to all on future rounds!!

Donna P.

I really love that Coke bottle - I looked at it for a good few seconds before I could decide whether or not it was a composite and until you explained the backgrond I still wasn't sure! Great image :)
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    I really love that Coke bottle - I looked at it for a good few seconds before I could decide whether or not it was a composite and until you explained the backgrond I still wasn't sure! Great image :)

Thank you bunches Divamom, your vote of confidence means alot!!

Note To PTM: In answer to your question, photo was taken at the Nascar event this weekend in Homestead...

Peace
    Donna
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2008
    Tentacion wrote:
    Thank you bunches Divamom, your vote of confidence means alot!!

Note To PTM: In answer to your question, photo was taken at the Nascar event this weekend in Homestead...

Peace
    Donna

Donna, great catch or "eye" as its called....thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2008
    Love the new feedback gallery. Thanks Emily!
    edited November 18, 2008
    Hey guys...I haven't forgotten feedback (I think I'm through about 1/3). I'm going to do my best to finish up tomorrow. thumb.gif
    Emily