Curious

Comments

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    My weather exactly.

Gonna have get to nifty headscratch.gif:D

Yeah, but in Finland you probably don't have to drive far to find snow at this time of the year. rolleyes1.gif
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    Yeah, but in Finland you probably don't have to drive far to find snow at this time of the year. rolleyes1.gif

Oh, field trip! Pyry, do you have room for 40 of your closest DGrinner friends? mwink.gif
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2008
    richtersl wrote:

More than half a thousand kilometers further north from where I am, actually.
    We have snow in the forecast for this morning though :D
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Oh, field trip! Pyry, do you have room for 40 of your closest DGrinner friends?

I don't have that many square meters, and only one guest bed, but how about I find you a hotel and rent the cars mwink.gif
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2008
    Turn to Port, Too Finland we ride....aarrrrrr!!!!!
    Aaron Nelson
    edited November 19, 2008
    Turn to Port, Too Finland we ride....aarrrrrr!!!!!

:dragon

Yarr, the last time a vessel flying foreign colours sailed past the naval fortress, we fired cannons at them, har har!

Gun salutes. Loud. lol3.gif
    Creativity's hard.

• GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    Thanks for all the great input, guys. I've been reading it all and am taking notes. :Dthumb.gif
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    Thanks for all the great input, guys. I've been reading it all and am taking notes. :Dthumb.gif

Including planning our field trip to Finland, right? :D I think that's exactly what these contests have been missing. :giggle
    edited November 20, 2008
    Field trip to Finland? I'm in! Airfares to Helsinki ought to be pretty cheap right about now. :Dheadscratch.gif

Hey, whatever happened to that field trip to Hawaii for MC #1? eek7.gif :giggle The one where we were going to try to get all elements into one shot?

Dang -- if we ever really could pull something like this off, it would so much fun. :cool

Divamum could keep us all entertained with her singing. mwink.gif
    edited November 20, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    Dang -- if we ever really could pull something like this off, it would so much fun. :cool

It would indeed - a field trip would be a prize in itself :D

The only possible problem is that all the hedgehogs are hibernating by now...
    Creativity's hard.

edited November 20, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    Field trip to Finland? I'm in! Airfares to Helsinki ought to be pretty cheap right about now. :Dheadscratch.gif

Hey, whatever happened to that field trip to Hawaii for MC #1? eek7.gif :giggle The one where we were going to try to get all elements into one shot?

Divamum could keep us all entertained with her singing. mwink.gif

That would be awesome, wouldn't it? I'd love a Sharp Shooters meet up! Of course, it'd have to be here...who wants to come to Georgia? Or maybe we could all meet up in Gatlinburg and shoot the Smokies!
    Emily

edited November 20, 2008
    can you send the Smugmug private jet to pick us up?
    Aaron Nelson
    edited November 20, 2008

i think my favorite was B&W Communications.....
    Aaron Nelson
    edited November 20, 2008
    That would be awesome, wouldn't it? I'd love a Sharp Shooters meet up! Of course, it'd have to be here...who wants to come to Georgia? Or maybe we could all meet up in Gatlinburg and shoot the Smokies!

I'd love to come to "Jaw-juh". iloveyou.gif How about a "Savannah Shoot"?
    edited November 20, 2008
    richtersl wrote:

Savannah is lovely too! I'll go anywhere there's a beach that I can drive to. :D
    Emily

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    Savannah is lovely too! I'll go anywhere there's a beach that I can drive to. :D

Pick somewhere with an opera company so I can make it a tax deductible trip ... :D
    edited November 20, 2008
    ::raises hand tentatively from the back row::

Been thinking about this, and the all the excellent comments made. So far, my views expressed have simply been how it all affects me in my little world, but moving on from that...

Isn't the achievement of really fine photography/art/whatever that it can make you see even the ugliest, most mundane and least "photogenic" thing(s) from a different point of view in a different way, and make it meaningful despite its lack of inherent visual beauty? I'll grant that this is a truly ugly time of year in much of the northern hemisphere, but... in a way, I think that's kind of the point - if we're talking about getting back to the *true* roots of photography, isn't this part of it? One thing I figured out during dusk/dawn is that it's much MUCH easier to take a good picture of something that is already pretty visually cool; I kept thinking at the time that REAL skill and talent was making even something ordinary stand out and be special. I was, in fact, frustrated that my eye and technique wasn't up to that yet and it was only when presented with something visually impressive (and already partially composed due to the way the place itself had been constructed to draw the eye to focal points) that I managed to get the kind of shot I wanted.

I have to equate to music because I know more about that, but I keep thinking of the pianist who can make even that ratty school instrument sound like a Steinway concert grand, or the singer who makes the simplest hackneyed folk song meaningful and fresh. THAT is a true artist.

Just musings.
    edited November 20, 2008
    you reminded me of the exercise of going into the bathroom with a camera for an hour to see what you come up with...
    Aaron Nelson
    edited November 20, 2008
    you reminded me of the exercise of going into the bathroom with a camera for an hour to see what you come up with...

What, that's your favorite place?!

:lol4:lol

(Sorry - given the banter of late, just couldn't resist responding to that in kind!!)
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    What, that's your favorite place?!

:lol4:lol

(Sorry - given the banter of late, just couldn't resist responding to that in kind!!)

Good one Diva!rolleyes1.gif
    Hey Aaron, care to share any of those images!:D
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
    edited November 20, 2008
    no, but i can tell you there was lots of steamyness involved...
    Aaron Nelson
    edited November 20, 2008
    Speaking of steaminess -- I just remembered that Finland has Saunas. eek7.gif Lots of them!!!!

We'll be the cleanest bunch of Dgrinners on record. lol3.gif
  • RebeccaHelmRebeccaHelm Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    richtersl wrote:

Steaminess, Savannah... hello!? AFRICA?! Just drop the "h" and come hang out with me :) ... it is summer here, after all mwink.gif
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    Steaminess, Savannah... hello!? AFRICA?! Just drop the "h" and come take pics of lions... it is summer here, after all mwink.gif

Now you're talking. iloveyou.gifiloveyou.gif Africa is #1 on my bucket list. Any suggestions on the best way to safari (luxury style) ne_nau.gif
    edited November 20, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    Now you're talking. iloveyou.gifiloveyou.gif Africa is #1 on my bucket list. Any suggestions on the best way to safari (luxury style) ne_nau.gif
    I'd say on foot and camping, but that's just me :D I worked for this company and would recommend them for sure:

http://www.krugerwalkingsafaris.com/

Nothing gets you "into Africa" like getting charged by elephants on foot mwink.gif
    (to be frank though, the rangers do everything they can to *avoid* that :D )
    edited November 20, 2008
    steamyyyness saunas.......oh ya:ivar
    Aaron Nelson
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    I'd say on foot and camping, but that's just me :D I worked for this company and would recommend them for sure:

http://www.krugerwalkingsafaris.com/

Nothing gets you "into Africa" like getting charged by elephants on foot mwink.gif
    (to be frank though, the rangers do everything they can to *avoid* that :D )

I'm a rhino fan, but love elephants as well. I would rather be in a jeep and camp luxuriously (if there is such a thing).
    edited November 20, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    I'm a rhino fan, but love elephants as well. I would rather be in a jeep and camp luxuriously (if there is such a thing).

You'll have no prob locating a lux place- that's most of the industry, actually! Believe it or not, now is a pretty good time to visit Africa. Xchange rate is so bad for emerging markets @ the moment. When I got to SA one year ago it was 6.5 Rand to the US$, last time I checked it was 10R to the $!
  • Michael AtkinsMichael Atkins Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    Well I've been reading all the posts over the last hour or so and I have to say lots of good stuff in here. Personally I love the challenges! I like the idea of going out to try and shoot something new. For the most part I love landscape photography more then anything else and would love to work for a travel magazine or "Outdoor Photography" or anyone who would want to pay me to travel to exotic beautiful locations.

I've never had any formal training in photography. So these challenges help me focus on other things and expand my abilities. Even though I might be cursing under my breath at times when I read the topics... no offense Emily I think you do a awesome job (sometimes too good). What I'm trying to say whithout rambling on for too long is I feel challenged here. I also think this forum makes me a better photographer for it.

Example: I took a day off from work Tuesday to shoot because the weather was supposed to be nice and we only get like 6 hours of sunlight now here in Alaska. I drove 50 miles to one of my favorite places and everything seemed just right for shooting. I don't want to give away too much about my entry just yet so. Lets just say I was gone for 7 hours alltogether and didn't get one good image. In my anxious excited state to get out there and get some good images I forgot one key thing. Checking all the settings on my camera before heading out. See the last thing I shot was my daughter in the evening under less then optimal lighting so my ISO was jacked up and I forgot to change it back. Needless to say every image looked great on my camera but when I downloaded them to my computer I found a whole lot of grainy images waiting. Needless to say I was pretty pissed but hey those things happen. But the 5 pr so hours in 15 degree weather, in wet clothes, walking through drifts of snow, left me tired and frustraited. Another newb mistake that I will never forget thanks to the challenges.
    :dgrin
    And the forcast for the next 3-5 days is overcast gloomy chance of snow!
    edited November 21, 2008
    Michael....hey i did that once....thumb.gif your in good company!
    Aaron Nelson
  • HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    Michael....hey i did that once....thumb.gif your in good company!

Yeah, I've had to add that to the checklist: fresh batteries, enough memory cards, ISO and other camera settings...