Options

If you could only have 2 lenses...

swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
edited December 5, 2008 in Cameras
Just to make interesting discussion...
If money were no issue, and you could only choose two lenses to use for the rest of your life, what would they be (All systems please chime in!)?

Mine would be:
Zuiko 14-35 f2
Zuiko 35-100 f2
Man how awesome would it be to have those! Anyone want to give me $4000 so I can buy them?

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,849 moderator
    edited November 21, 2008
    If money were no issue, and you could only choose two lenses to use for the rest of your life, what would they be?

Mine would be:
    Zuiko 14-35 f2
    Zuiko 35-100 f2
    Man how awesome would it be to have those! Anyone want to give me $4000 so I can buy them?

15524779-Ti.gif Those are amazing lenses and alone are a compelling reason to choose an Olympus system.

Unfortunately, money "is" an object and a limited resource (for me at least) so "'tis just a dream and nothing more". :cry
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    MavMav Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    Please excuse the n00b questions - but wouldn't you want/need more zoom? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    Mav wrote:
    Please excuse the n00b questions - but wouldn't you want/need more zoom? headscratch.gif
    Well, more zoom would definitely be good. However, one benefit of the Olympus system is the 2x crop factor so those lenses together are the 35mm equivalent of 28-200mm.
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2008
    Well, more zoom would definitely be good. However, one benefit of the Olympus system is the 2x crop factor so those lenses together are the 35mm equivalent of 28-200mm.

Presumably that is the case for all digital SLRs, not just Olympus - correct?
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    I'd be happy with my 12-60 (24-120 equiv) and the 25 1.4 on the E-system. But I'd seriously miss my 50 macro and 50-200 (100-400 equiv) telezoom...
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2008
    Mav wrote:
    Presumably that is the case for all digital SLRs, not just Olympus - correct?

Not quite.

Nikon and Canon both have full-frame dSLRs now. Lenses used with these bodies perform with the same (or very similar) FOV as they would on a film 35mm camera body.

Nikon also has many crop 1.5x dSLRs while Canon has both crop 1.6x and 1.3x dSLRs. Sigma uses crop 1.7x imagers.

Then the Olympus, Panasonic and Leica "Four Thirds System" imagers use a different aspect ratio than the rest of the dSLR manufacturers.

Each of these can be compared to each other, but each has to also be considered a "system" of its own in order to really understand how it will work best for "your" situation.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Not quite.

Nikon and Canon both have full-frame dSLRs now. Lenses used with these bodies perform with the same (or very similar) FOV as they would on a film 35mm camera body.

Nikon also has many crop 1.5x dSLRs while Canon has both crop 1.6x and 1.3x dSLRs. Sigma uses crop 1.7x imagers.

Then the Olympus, Panasonic and Leica "Four Thirds System" imagers use a different aspect ratio than the rest of the dSLR manufacturers.

Each of these can be compared to each other, but each has to also be considered a "system" of its own in order to really understand how it will work best for "your" situation.

Holy crap eek7.gif That's a whole other variable that I wasn't aware of that I now need to learn about! I told you I was a n00b deal.gif
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    18-200, 200-400. :d
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    100mm macro
    mpe65

pp
  • Options
    GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    DA*16-50 2.8 L
    DA 100 Macro

I shoot primarily landscapes and nature, so I doubt there is a better combination.
  • Options
    hiroProtagonisthiroProtagonist Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    17-35mm f2.8 Nikkor
    70-200mm f2.8 Nikkor
    "But you and I, we’ve been through that, and this is not our fate. - Dylan 1968"
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    If money were no issue, and you could only choose two lenses to use for the rest of your life, what would they be (All systems please chime in!)?

Mine would be:
    Zuiko 14-35 f2
    Zuiko 35-100 f2

they havent made the two lenses i would choose yet....

but, the "Hubble" would suit me ok...
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    I've actually pretty much been there. I shot with a 17-55/2.8 IS and the 100-400 L IS for a while.

The mentioned pair has since been joined by an ultrawide and two bright primes - but I still have those two and those are probably the two I'd keep if I couldn't trade a leg for the rest of my current glassware.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2008
    This is a very hard question to answer as each kit you would put together would be focused on a particular task. My current kit is designed to provide me the tools I need for portrait/event/wedding photography. Hence, I don't have the EF 100-400 (but this might be pretty cool at an outdoor wedding:D).
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2008
    After carrying 12kg of equipment cross country, holding 3kg of camera&lens
    for hours, getting stared at and taked to by strangers because of big-o-
    white-lens syndrome, spending thousands of euros to do all this, I have come
    to the conclusion that all I need to enjoy this hobby is a fullframe camera
    with a big bright viewfinder. And the two lenses I would choose are:

Canon 24mm/2.8 (300g) and
    Canon 50mm/2.5 (260g)

thumb.gif
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2008
    From my own set, if I had to choose just 2 lenses:

Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f/2.8 IS USM
    Canon EF 70-200mm, f/2.8L USM

Plus I would add:

Canon EF 1.4x II teleconverter
    Canon 500D Close Focus diopter (in 77mm)
    Tripod and Panoramic head
    2-3 flashes plus a bracket or 2 and off-camera cords and RF slaves
    Several flash modifiers

That would give tremendous flexibility and there is very little that could not be done (assuming a competent camera body of course.)
    ziggy53
  • Options
    CatoCato Registered Users Posts: 287 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2008
    Ugh, what a difficult question! headscratch.gif

For me, as a Pentax user, it kind of boils down to "range or quality"?

So, since my photography skills kinda stink, as do my PP skills, and I shoot solely for my own amusement, I'll go for range.

Pentax DA*16-50mm F2.8
    Pentax DA 55-300mm F4-5.8

Can I add a Raynox macro adapter?
    http://catographer.smugmug.com/

Shooter on a shoestring.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2008
    With Full frameiloveyou.gif
    24-70 2.8
    70-200 2.8 IS

With Crop
    17-55 2.8
    70-200 2.8 IS

mwink.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    PixNWPixNW Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2008
    Right now I usually always have my 24-70 2.8L and 70-200 2.8L IS with me. The 24-70 limits me on the wide end, if I had to choose I may opt for a 17-40 4L instead of the 24-70 if I could only have two. I'd hate to give up the 2.8 for the 4 though. The truth is that most of us would never be satisfied forever with just two lenses. What if you like shooting sports and also landscapes and birds/wildlife, and maybe the occasional portrait?
    Canon 1D Mark IIN
    Canon 350D
    24-70 2.8L
    70-200 2.8L IS
    580EX II
    1.4x Extender
    Gitzo 3531 w/ RRS BH-55 Ballhead
    RRS L-Plate, quick release clamp and plates
  • Options
    BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2008
    With my D300: (the only 2 lenses I own)

* Nikkor 17-35mm
    I love this lens! I used it almost exclusively on a recent trip through Colorado and Utah. Super sharp, excellent color and great in low light situations.

* Nikkor 24-70mm
    This lens has been great for all kinds of portraits and "normal" range shots. I even got some decent macro-like shots with its relatively close focusing distance. Again, SUPER sharp and bright lens, best portrait lens I've used. Great bokeh, too.

My next two lenses: Nikkor VR 70-200mm (2.8) and 105mm VR macro. I used to have the 18-200mm DX zoom (bought with the D300 body) which was extremely versatile (changing lenses can be a drag, and I'm really missing the longer tele ranges right now!) but a bit disappointing in performance (lacking sharpness and detail). Of course, since all my lenses are now full frame, I find myself lusting after that D700...
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
  • Options
    InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    My choice of lenses would be:

1. Olympus 7-14 F4
    2. Olympus 14-35 F2.

I rarely need to shoot any longer but there is always the 40-150 which cames with the camera just in case.
  • Options
    Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    Fun question, I'll steal if for an upcoming party of photographers I'll be hosting.
    I would choose:
    Pentax DA 12-24--I like very wide to capture the ever-changing skies
    Mamiya/Sekor 60mm M42 Macro f. 2.8--There are always photo-worthy objects to shoot with a macro lens. This is my favorite of three macro lenses as its rendition is unique. As a preset, the handling action is very cinematic and fun.

M
  • Options
    PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    This is my question also.

I am planning a trip to Eygpt in late December. I want to travel light and just bring 2 lens (one mounted and the other standby).

Currently, my preference is the 24-105 F4 IS and 70-200 F2.8 IS.

The first one is a very useful wide range walk around lens for almost everything. Later on is great for portrait and some special landscape but a bit heavy.

I may bring along the 17-40 and the 2X TC "just in case"
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • Options
    PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    This is my question also.

I am planning a trip to Eygpt in late December. I want to travel light and just bring 2 lens (one mounted and the other standby).

Currently, my preference is the 24-105 F4 IS and 70-200 F2.8 IS.

The first one is a very useful wide range walk around lens for almost everything. Later on is great for portrait and some special landscape but a bit heavy.

I may bring along the 17-40 and the 2X TC "just in case"
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    On a Canon crop camera, a Tokina 12-24 and a Canon 28-300is.
    On a full framer, a Canon 17-40 and a Canon 28-300is.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    mountainhousemountainhouse Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    For travel (assuming FF), I'd prefer the 24-105mm and 70-200mm L f/4. Those would be the 2. I'd take the 17-40mm also.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    I have sorta been a 2 lens advocate for 25+ yrs I guess (and 2 body also)....so I have been using lenses in the 24-70mm f2.8 and 70-210mmf2.8 for quite some time....have I wished for something different at times ya bet if I could get a 10-70mm f2.8 and a 70-500mm f2.8 (these have to be tack sharp across the board) that would do it for me...but coming back to reality.....next setup will be 17-70 and again the 70-200 both f2.8......but I can't seem to get close enuff to the birds for great pics....so I am gonna have to a third lens in the upto 500mm range..... but the 17-70 abs 70-200 will always be staples in my stables so to speak.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    When going out for a "fun" day I pack the Nikkor 17mm-35mm and the Sigma "Bigma" 50mm-500mm
    Between the two they cover alot of ground... mwink.gif
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    Roaddog 52Roaddog 52 Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    A great question. For me, using a full frame Canon, it would be the 24-70mm f/2.8 and the 300mm f/2.8

On a recent trip to Montana and Yellowstone I practiced this very thing, when away from the van hiking in the hills I carried these two lenses. I zoomed by using my feet, and I accomplished ultra wide shots by shooting a series of images and stiching them together in CS3.

There are lighter lens and setups available but this combo seemed to work well for me.
    I don't know where I'm goin, but I'm goin anyway.
  • Options
    BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    10-22 & 24-105
    When I need to travel light with my Canon XTi, I go with:

EF-S 10-22
    EF 24-105 f/4L IS

I actually find this particular combination exceptional for travel photography. It gives me excellent coverage and descent low-light capability in most situations. It's very rare that I ever need anything longer than 105 on a crop body.

I love my primes for low light and portraits, but I can easily get by without them when space is limited.