forays into #14...

BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
edited December 14, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
429158213_ceofY-L.jpg

Is this a "still life?" Clearly there is action taking place so I'm guessing no. But I had all of 4 minutes to get out my camera, tripod, and compose something before the reflection on the wall faded. Short days and regular work hours don't allow for much natural light shooting at home!

Note: for this challenge I decided I would try to come up with one "still life" shot per day, as a personal challenge. I promise I won't bore you by submitting all of them! But I will be asking for comments on at least a few of them. Cool?

Thanks,
Benjer
Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!

Comments

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    This is a really cool shot. But I'm just not sure if having a hand in the photo constitutes "still life". headscratch.gif
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited December 2, 2008
    Great capture of light! You did still a moment in life...not sure if that qualifies or not since there is an element of movement.
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    If I read the details correctly, "Still Life" is wide open to intepretation. If he can come up with a good title, I'm sure it'll be a great entry. Love the capture! I would submit it...
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    hey guys, thanks for your thoughts and encouragement :)

i'm working on more ideas for this challenge to better fit the theme...hopefully soon I'll have some more attempts for critique before I submit the final entry. In the meantime, I'll be thinking of a solid title...
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    Benjer wrote:
    hey guys, thanks for your thoughts and encouragement :)

i'm working on more ideas for this challenge to better fit the theme...hopefully soon I'll have some more attempts for critique before I submit the final entry. In the meantime, I'll be thinking of a solid title...
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif :ivar
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
    edited December 7, 2008
    432140205_nft9n-L.jpg

made several attempts at this one, different arrangements, etc. wondering if the spinning top should be sharp (fast shutter) or blurred with deepened DOF for contrast? headscratch.gif would like to reshoot with better light, if it's worth it. (i cropped and tweaked this out-of-camera to get better handle on composition and exposure for the next try.)

thoughts? ne_nau.gif
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    This is more of a still life and very nice, but doesn't have the "wow" impact of that first shot - that's a stunner! The question, of course, is whether or not it's really a still life, but no question that it's a great, great shot.

I love the reflections and colours in the new onethumb.gif; the thing that jumps out at me most is the item on the left is cut in half (I can't even tell what it is). The top might be better frozen, not sure; can you try it both ways to see?
    edited December 7, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    This is more of a still life and very nice, but doesn't have the "wow" impact of that first shot - that's a stunner! The question, of course, is whether or not it's really a still life, but no question that it's a great, great shot.

I love the reflections and colours in the new onethumb.gif; the thing that jumps out at me most is the item on the left is cut in half (I can't even tell what it is). The top might be better frozen, not sure; can you try it both ways to see?

I agree with all your points. I began shooting with the same light reflections as the first shot, as a background - hoping for that "wow" factor again. But it comes and goes so quickly that by the time I got a decent shot, the light was gone! I'm hoping to try again tomorrow, as long as the sun cooperates. Bringing in that chopped top with a better arrangement would definitely help. I think I need some lessons in Feng Shui!

I thought it would be cool to get some movement in this "still life," perhaps just my natural tendency to try and stretch the boundaries. But a "frozen" spinning top might be really cool, balanced on its point...?
    edited December 7, 2008
    idea number 3
    432217481_UCTct-L.jpg

here's an attempt at being "artsy." i wish i had a better feather specimen, but found this in the backyard a while back and held onto it for some reason. lit with a penlight and ambient room light. is this one going anywhere???
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    I love it. If you can reshoot, you should, but it works as is as well.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
    edited December 7, 2008
    I love it. If you can reshoot, you should, but it works as is as well.

15524779-Ti.gif

Love the stark impact - great shot!
    edited December 8, 2008
    Benjer wrote:
    here's an attempt at being "artsy." i wish i had a better feather specimen, but found this in the backyard a while back and held onto it for some reason. lit with a penlight and ambient room light. is this one going anywhere???

I really liked the one with the feather! thumb.gif The only thing I'd try to do is frame it so that 's not so vertically centered. But it's already pretty good "as is".
    edited December 8, 2008
    yet another idea...
    432890488_tttge-L.jpg
    runaway sushi!

I think I did about a hundred shots of this one, various angles and placements. the hardest part was keeping up with that runaway shrimp - it's a wascally one. lighting is just a window in front and an under-cabinet halogen light above.

I actually put some thought into the composition of what was intended as a visual joke, especially with respect to leading lines and DOF. At first I thought the whole thing should be in focus, but I wanted the eye to be drawn to the sushi up front, first - so it's sharp while the rest fades out a bit. Then I'm hoping the eye will follow up the curve of the plate toward the sushi wiggling away, then to the chopsticks, which again point to the runaway to reinforce the visual punchline.

what do you think? did your eyes follow the path I described, or were you drawn to something else first? when did you notice the sushi was "moving" away? and after all that, does this succeed as an image, apart from the joke??
    edited December 8, 2008
    Runaway Sushi
    Hysterical!! rolleyes1.gif

Your concept works, IMO. thumb.gif
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    Wow! These are really great shots!!
    The first is very, very well done but doesn't seem to fit the theme.
    The feather is my favorite. Unexpected and has great wow-factor.
    The sushi is a very nice 'product' shot. Though, again, I really keep going back to that feather.
    Can't wait to see what the other days bring...
    E
    edited December 8, 2008
    Benjer, these are all wonderful ideas and very well executed! The sushi is hilarious, and very original, while the "graphic" quality of the shadow (possibly still my favorite) and the feather are also very strong.

Geez, give the rest of us a chance, will ya?!?!?!

Great stuff clap.gif
    edited December 8, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    Benjer, these are all wonderful ideas and very well executed! The sushi is hilarious, and very original, while the "graphic" quality of the shadow (possibly still my favorite) and the feather are also very strong.

Geez, give the rest of us a chance, will ya?!?!?!

Laughing.gif, thanks for the encouraging words! It's the amazing work I've seen here from "the rest of you" that's really challenging me to work harder and open up creatively. bowdown.gif

Yeah, I think the feather shot is my best one for the theme so far, but there's always tomorrow! :D One thing I've learned so far is that even the not-so-good ideas are really worthwhile once attempted, because then I know what DOESN'T work, and I can let it go and move on to the next one.

These challenges are forcing me to stretch and try new things, and the practice of shooting and re-shooting is really helping me improve. The personal challenge I set of trying to shoot "something" every day is doing wonders, and most importantly is a lot of fun! I promise I won't post everything, but I really value all of your input and critique. I can't thank you enough!

Benjer
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    All nice Benjer.

Honestly, I like the last one of the Sushi. It's a perfect example of the traditional interpretation of a Still Life image.

Alex
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
    edited December 11, 2008
    All nice Benjer.

Honestly, I like the last one of the Sushi. It's a perfect example of the traditional interpretation of a Still Life image.

Alex

Thanks, Alex. I'm torn between that and the feather (which I've re-shot to try and improve the centering problem), and still entertaining more ideas...

Looking forward to the weekend to try them out!
    edited December 11, 2008
    untitled
    434881192_xdVoc-L.jpg

this idea has been composting for a few days. it's intentionally dark to fit the dark tone of the (fictional) backstory...but is it too dark??? headscratch.gif What do you think, overall?

Thanks for all the helpful comments so far!
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    First, let me say that you have quite an interesting imagination.

As for the pic, I think it's an amusing twist on the traditional still life photo. I do think it's a bit to dark. Maybe it's my monitor though. I find my self squinting to try and make out the details of the box. I like the idea though. But I also like your Sushi shot.

BTW, the first thing that came to my mind when I saw your photo is "Tyra Banks". Not sure why. Maybe it's the wig and the slightly psychotic feeling of the photo. ne_nau.gif

My Smug Site
    edited December 11, 2008
    1. Your thought processes rock my world clap.gif
    2. Newest image is creeeeeepppy :uhoh
    3. I still think the shadowplay first shot is the most interesting *photo* of the bunch nod.gif
    4. The sushi cracks me up and I think is the best challenge *entry* thumb.gif

All just mho, of course - take it with a grain of salt!
    edited December 11, 2008
    First, let me say that you have quite an interesting imagination.

As for the pic, I think it's an amusing twist on the traditional still life photo. I do think it's a bit to dark. Maybe it's my monitor though. I find my self squinting to try and make out the details of the box. I like the idea though. But I also like your Sushi shot.

BTW, the first thing that came to my mind when I saw your photo is "Tyra Banks". Not sure why. Maybe it's the wig and the slightly psychotic feeling of the photo. ne_nau.gif

Laughing.gif. Hey - who you calling :crazy ???

As for the alleged "interesting imagination," really I've just been grabbing random items and then trying to put some of them together in a way that tells a story or says something to me. Me, and the voices...the voices...biggrinbounce2.gif
    edited December 11, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    1. Your thought processes rock my world clap.gif
    2. Newest image is creeeeeepppy :uhoh
    3. I still think the shadowplay first shot is the most interesting *photo* of the bunch nod.gif

All just mho, of course - take it with a grain of salt!

Sorry if that last one creeped you out, Laughing.gif! And thanks for breaking it down with your vote for the challenge entry. I'm leaning that way too now, since the feather shot (my preference) really needs too much work in PS to make it "right." Here's how it looks now (not a valid entry) http://benjer.smugmug.com/photos/434901472_9jZkw-L.jpg
    edited December 11, 2008
    Benjer wrote:
    Sorry if that last one creeped you out, Laughing.gif! And thanks for breaking it down with your vote for the challenge entry. I'm leaning that way too now, since the feather shot (my preference) really needs too much work in PS to make it "right." Here's how it looks now (not a valid entry) http://benjer.smugmug.com/photos/434901472_9jZkw-L.jpg

Actually I'd forgotten about the feather - that's pretty cool too. But something about the sushi just cracks me up - alll that work for the perfect "stylist" food shot, and then the toy sushi waddling off... It just makes me LAUGH (something I need today - Operaland is VERY not fun at the moment, with the company where I hold, er, held, a couple of good contracts for next year declaring bankruptcy this week and that work and money now being goonnnnnnnnneeee... :cry)
    edited December 11, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    Actually I'd forgotten about the feather - that's pretty cool too. But something about the sushi just cracks me up - alll that work for the perfect "stylist" food shot, and then the toy sushi waddling off... It just makes me LAUGH (something I need today - Operaland is VERY not fun at the moment, with the company where I hold, er, held, a couple of good contracts for next year declaring bankruptcy this week and that work and money now being goonnnnnnnnneeee... :cry)

Oh wow, sorry for your troubles! Operaland, huh? Does that mean you're an Opera diva?? Brava! clap.gif Funny, you there in Operaland, and here I live just around the corner from Opryland. :tough Totally different animal!
    edited December 11, 2008
    Yep, that'd be me - I sing and I'm a mom = divamum :)
    edited December 12, 2008
    divamum wrote:

15524779-Ti.gif

That sushi pic will definitely capture some attention!!!
    edited December 14, 2008
    some last attempts
    okay guys, I've had some time to play more with this still life thing (I think I'm hooked!). Here's a couple from earlier today:

lucky sneaks
    436405173_hTy4c-L.jpg

ornamental
    436404697_sGHsV-L.jpg

So what do you think?
    Should I stick with "runaway sushi," or are either of these better?

oh, and as a side note - finally have a title for that "creepy" shot...

Homicide Blonde
    436417821_hhWZy-L.jpg
    I did some processing in PS so it's no longer eligible, but for some reason it calls to me...or one of my other personalities...Laughing.gif But really, I feel much better now. And so do I.
    edited December 14, 2008
    I really like the new version of Homicide Blonde. The PP made it much better.

My Smug Site