Holy Snikeees

TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
edited December 15, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
I was just perusing the first 19 entries for DSS14 and for SOOC.... WOW! I think I'll put my camera back in it's bag now....... :bow

Comments

• pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    I think I'll put my camera back in it's bag now....

That would make a rather dull picture, wouldn't it? mwink.gif
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • achambersachambers Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    That would make a rather dull picture, wouldn't it? mwink.gif

As long as his white balance is correct he should have reaaaallllly deep blacks.
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

"The point in life isn't to arrive at our final destination well preserved and in pristine condition, but rather to slide in sideways yelling.....Holy cow, what a ride."
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    achambers wrote:
    As long as his white balance is correct he should have reaaaallllly deep blacks.
    rolleyes1.gif
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    rolleyes1.gif too funny!
    edited December 8, 2008
    achambers wrote:

Unless he forgets the shutter down, which should then produce a very neat map of hotpixels, amp glow, read-out and thermal noise - all wrapped into one psychedelic splash. I don't suppose that would fit 'still life' though...
    Creativity's hard.

edited December 8, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    Unless he forgets the shutter down, which should then produce a very neat map of hotpixels, amp glow, read-out and thermal noise - all wrapped into one psychedelic splash. I don't suppose that would fit 'still life' though...

It would have worked for Paul's mini challenge on Abstracts...mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    edited December 8, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    It would have worked for Paul's mini challenge on Abstracts...mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif

I was thinking abstracts too lol3.gif
    Creativity's hard.

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    And you thought 1-19 were challenging? The bar seems to be being raised with each image that appears! :hide Whoa nellie these are some amazing SOOC shots!
    edited December 8, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    And you thought 1-19 were challenging? The bar seems to be being raised with each image that appears! :hide Whoa nellie these are some amazing SOOC shots!

Wait 'til it's your turn to co-judge the next one. nod.giflol3.gif
  • RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    I was just perusing the first 19 entries for DSS14 and for SOOC.... WOW! I think I'll put my camera back in it's bag now....... bowdown.gif
    Ha Ha! how well I know the feeling, but I kept coming back and trying every so often, you learn nothing by not pushing yourself and its usually fun, if not sometimes frustrating when the great idea in your minds eye refuses to come forward.

Rocketman
    http://roadrunes.com
    "It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D
    edited December 8, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    Wait 'til it's your turn to co-judge the next one. nod.giflol3.gif

rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif So true!!!! Its hard to appreciate what they do until you are selected as a judge.
    edited December 8, 2008
    RocketMan wrote:
    Ha Ha! how well I know the feeling, but I kept coming back and trying every so often, you learn nothing by not pushing yourself and its usually fun, if not sometimes frustrating when the great idea in your minds eye refuses to come forward.

Rocketman

Definitely agree. I'm kidding about the camera in the camera in the bag (though the hot pixel shot sounds kind of interesting rolleyes1.gif) . These challenges have pushed my creative side more in the last year than I could have ever imagined.
    edited December 8, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    Definitely agree. I'm kidding about the camera in the camera in the bag (though the hot pixel shot sounds kind of interesting rolleyes1.gif) . These challenges have pushed my creative side more in the last year than I could have ever imagined.

I promise I won't breathe a word about that hot little pixel :tuesday to your wife. mwink.gif
    edited December 8, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif So true!!!! Its hard to appreciate what they do until you are selected as a judge.

Aaarrrrrgghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh................... eek7.gif :giggle
    edited December 8, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    I promise I won't breathe a word about that hot little pixel :tuesday to your wife. mwink.gif

I have a wife? :wow How many valentines/anniversary/Christmas/birthday gifts do I have to backorder to get out of trouble? Is the hot little pixel single? Geeezzzz, I need to start getting out more...... rolleyes1.gif
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    :lol4
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • achambersachambers Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    Aaarrrrrgghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh................... eek7.gif :giggle

That doesn't even begin to describe it.
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

"The point in life isn't to arrive at our final destination well preserved and in pristine condition, but rather to slide in sideways yelling.....Holy cow, what a ride."
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    Travis wrote:

cant wait to see your take on the hot pixel....thumb.gif we are talking camera sensors right?
    Aaron Nelson
    edited December 11, 2008
    cant wait to see your take on the hot pixel....thumb.gif we are talking camera sensors right?

Sadly....... yes :cry
    edited December 11, 2008
    Is it my imagination, or do the SOOC challenges seem to bring more (and new) people out of the woodwork to participate?

The entries are really awesome in this round, and it seems to me numbers are up again too!
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    Is it my imagination, or do the SOOC challenges seem to bring more (and new) people out of the woodwork to participate?

The entries are really awesome in this round, and it seems to me numbers are up again too!

i would bet people feel there is more of a level playing field when its SOOC....
    Aaron Nelson
    edited December 11, 2008
    divamum wrote:

Not usually but in this case....just to make your life more difficult rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    edited December 12, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    Not usually but in this case....just to make your life more difficult

Well all I can say is... thank goodness I'm not judging THIS one!!
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    divamum wrote:

I'm pretty new to the forum and aside from one of the minichallenges, this is my first DSS challenge. This one appealed to me because I knew it would challenge my basic photography skills. Being relatively new to the world of photography, I found the SOOC aspect of this challenge a really good way to try to apply the stuff I've learned from reading books and information on this forum.

The nice thing about this challenge too is that finding subjects to fit the theme was as easy as looking around the house. Photography is a hobby for me so I don't always have time to go out to find a specific subject to shoot. That has kept me from entering some of the challenges in the recent past. This challenge was convenient in that way.

I have to say that it has been really fun participating. I love a good challenge and this definitely fit the bill.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
    edited December 12, 2008
    I'm pretty new to the forum and aside from one of the minichallenges, this is my first DSS challenge. This one appealed to me because I knew it would challenge my basic photography skills. Being relatively new to the world of photography, I found the SOOC aspect of this challenge a really good way to try to apply the stuff I've learned from reading books and information on this forum.

The nice thing about this challenge too is that finding subjects to fit the theme was as easy as looking around the house. Photography is a hobby for me so I don't always have time to go out to find a specific subject to shoot. That has kept me from entering some of the challenges in the recent past. This challenge was convenient in that way.

I have to say that it has been really fun participating. I love a good challenge and this definitely fit the bill.

beer.gif Welcome to DSS, your new addictive form of personal torture...errrr....I mean growth! rolleyes1.gif
    edited December 12, 2008
    I found the SOOC aspect of this challenge a really good way to try to apply the stuff I've learned from reading books and information on this forum.

mwink.gif Actually, there's nothing stopping you from shooting SOOC for any of the challenges.

And you're right -- these challenges are a great way of applying the stuff you've learned. thumb.gif
  • WolftepWolftep Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    I'm pretty new to the forum...

Agreed. I'm new here too, and although I've owned a DSLR for a couple of years, I've just started getting into using it for more then just taking pictures of the kids. Originally I wanted a camera fast enough to take pictures of my son playing baseball and soccer. Now I'm using it more and more for just taking pictures of whatever is in front of me.

So far I've spent most of my time on Dgrin reading what everyone else has to say. As I get more comfortable, I'll start putting some of my own photos up and asking for advice on my own work. I'm sure this will never be more then just a hobby for me, but right now it is a hobby I'm really excited about. One could guess from the Christmas list that I gave my wife (over half of which included something to do with photography). :D
    edited December 12, 2008
    Wolftep wrote:
    One could guess from the Christmas list that I gave my wife (over half of which included something to do with photography). :D

Geeeezzzz, Linda was right - I DO need to get a wife! mwink.gif

Welcome to the game Tom. Trust me - the wish list will keep growing! deal.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    Hey Everyone...Big Hellos...

and

Welcome to the Newbies....

Peace
    Donna P.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • WolftepWolftep Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    Geeeezzzz, Linda was right - I DO need to get a wife! mwink.gif

Welcome to the game Tom. Trust me - the wish list will keep growing! deal.gifrolleyes1.gif

Thanks Travis, and you aren't kidding! :lol

I just upgraded from an Oly E-500 to the E-520 a couple of months ago, and already have added another lense and flash to the shoulder bag, which is now competely full. 11doh.gif

So a new bag is already needed, and I've got my eye on a faster telephoto lens. The lens just might have to wait until the tax refund comes in though.
    Tentacion wrote:
    Hey Everyone...Big Hellos...

and

Welcome to the Newbies....

Peace
    Donna P.

Thanks Donna!