Changing the EXIF

travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
edited December 16, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Well, this can be a very delicate subject...

I was just wondering if you guys are aware of this software
that allows people to modify the EXIF of photos, even the date...

I did a simple search by curiosity, a couple days before and this is what I found:

http://www.digital-photo-software-guide.com/exif-editor.html

"Zoner Photo Studio, a photo viewer and editor with some good EXIF editor abilities.
It is a user friendly photo viewer, album and photo editor that let you edit or modify the EXIF fields Author, Title, Copyright, Description, Time/date created, Time/date digitized, ISO, Exposure time, Aperture, IPTC fields, even in a batch process."

Sorry to post this, but I think it's good to know about... :rolleyes
Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
VegasGreatAttractions.com
Travelways.com

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 14, 2008
    Kiki wrote:
    Well, this can be a very delicate subject...

I was just wondering if you guys are aware of this software
    that allows people to modify the EXIF of photos, even the date...

I did a simple search by curiosity, a couple days before and this is what I found:

http://www.digital-photo-software-guide.com/exif-editor.html

"Zoner Photo Studio, a photo viewer and editor with some good EXIF editor abilities.
    It is a user friendly photo viewer, album and photo editor that let you edit or modify the EXIF fields Author, Title, Copyright, Description, Time/date created, Time/date digitized, ISO, Exposure time, Aperture, IPTC fields, even in a batch process."

Sorry to post this, but I think it's good to know about... rolleyes1.gif
    I hope after tomorrow I never see another post about exif!!!

stay tuned....
    :hide

But, yes, Kiki, of course we know that in a digital world, anything is possible. It's a photo competition, not a presidential election so we can hide in our puffy honest clouds and not lose too much sleep.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    oh my..... whats a' going on here'a??

i guess i should tune in tomorrow...
    Aaron Nelson
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:

But, yes, Kiki, of course we know that in a digital world, anything is possible. It's a photo competition, not a presidential election so we can hide in our puffy honest clouds and not lose too much sleep.

So... there were other posts about EXIF... I was not aware of any, but of course, I'm new to photography... ne_nau.gif
    Travelways.com
  • vintagemxrvintagemxr Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Paint Shop Pro X2 has the ability to change the EXIF image creation date. I'd seen the option before but never paid much attention. I just took a cull photo and changed the creation date to 12.28.08 and it now shows the 12.28 date and a "last modified" date of 12.14.08. Never occured to me that it was anything but some sort of a file management tool.

headscratch.gif

Doug
    "A photograph is usually looked at – seldom looked into." - Ansel Adams
    My B&W Photos
    Motorcycles in B&W
  • BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    And I'm still stumped, trying to understand why the "Date Taken" and "Date Modified" times are different on my SOOC shots, when I made no modifications! It appears that transferring the image file from the CF card to my HD is a "modification." But others' EXIF data shows identical Taken vs Modified times. Why is mine different???

Perplexed (and hoping I'm not disqualified!)
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    vintagemxr wrote:
    Paint Shop Pro X2 has the ability to change the EXIF image creation date. I'd seen the option before but never paid much attention. I just took a cull photo and changed the creation date to 12.28.08 and it now shows the 12.28 date and a "last modified" date of 12.14.08. Never occured to me that it was anything but some sort of a file management tool.

headscratch.gif

Doug

A lot of imaging programs can modify exifs. This is mostly about being able to correct for the situations where the camera's clock has been off, either reset or in the wrong time zone. I recently changed the capture times on a set of photos because there were two of us photographers and our cameras weren't set to the same time - and therefore showed up in a wonky order when I did the final pp and selections.

Obviously, fiddling with exifs just to make it fit a round of DSS is cheating. If your picture is old, put it in a mini challenge and go shoot something new - you might learn something while you're at it. :D
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Benjer,

I noticed the same thing with my entry and don't understand it either. I posted a thread about it hoping to make sure I wouldn't get disqualified and no one seemed to think it was a big deal. If it makes you feel any better, I guess if you go down, I'll be going down with you.
    edited December 14, 2008
    Benjer wrote:
    And I'm still stumped, trying to understand why the "Date Taken" and "Date Modified" times are different on my SOOC shots, when I made no modifications! It appears that transferring the image file from the CF card to my HD is a "modification." But others' EXIF data shows identical Taken vs Modified times. Why is mine different???

You should be fine I think. Something as simple as copying the file can show as a modification. An explanation for the entries with identical dates might be, say, uploading right off the card. I pretty sure this level of pedanticness isn't a requirement mwink.gif
    Creativity's hard.

• GastrocnemiusGastrocnemius Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    Pedanticness ?

Surely, you meant 'pedantry'.

(sorry)
    edited December 15, 2008
    Pedanticness ?

Apparently I did lol3.gif
    Creativity's hard.

• ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    Benjer wrote:

Is it possible that you did a "save as" when you gave it a file name? I did that on the last SOOC on a picture I didn't submit, but noticed that it changed the modification date. Just a thought
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    Pat664422 wrote:
    Benjer,

I noticed the same thing with my entry and don't understand it either. I posted a thread about it hoping to make sure I wouldn't get disqualified and no one seemed to think it was a big deal. If it makes you feel any better, I guess if you go down, I'll be going down with you.

I wonder if that date-thing is something specific to both your Nikons? I have a Canon and on my exif the create and modify time stamps are identical. headscratch.gif All I did was copy the pic from my card to my HD. Literally. I did not go through any 3rd party software to copy it to my HD.

For the last SOOC challenge I entered a photo that I shot in RAW and then converted to JPEG format so therefore the create and modify time stamps were different. I was not DQ'd for that. Apparently a few others had done the same thing but we were in the minority. I remember Emily mentioning that resizing a photo and/or converting to JPEG from RAW were acceptable edits because you were not modyfing the picture itself. I think that you guys will be OK.

eek7.gif Why on earth have these software propeller-heads allowed the create and modify time stamps to be editable?
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    Pedanticness ?

(sorry)

(psssstt Our beloved Pyry is not, believe it or not, a native English speaker, and he's too modest to mention it unless you ask. That we could all write in Finnish as he does in our language!! nod.gifbowdown.gif)
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    I had the same issue
    Benjer wrote:

For some reason, my images for SOOC had different Date Taken and Date Modified dates. The wierdest thing is that the Date Modified time was before the Date Taken time... go figure. headscratch.gif

BTW, I checked the date/time on my camera and it's fine. Same on my puter.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
    edited December 15, 2008
    For some reason, my images for SOOC had different Date Taken and Date Modified dates. The wierdest thing is that the Date Modified time was before the Date Taken time... go figure. headscratch.gif

BTW, I checked the date/time on my camera and it's fine. Same on my puter.

You also have a Nikon, my friend. It's looking more and more to be something peculiar to that make of camera. headscratch.gif
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    You also have a Nikon, my friend. It's looking more and more to be something peculiar to that make of camera. headscratch.gif

Quite possible. Now I'm curious... I am going to do some playing around with this to try to find the root cause.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • JDouglasJDouglas Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    Quite possible. Now I'm curious... I am going to do some playing around with this to try to find the root cause.

I also shoot Nikon. D70. My date-time stamps are identical.

For the SOOC, I shot RAW+jpg, transferred to computer using a card reader, and uploaded the .jpg to Smugmug.
    edited December 15, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    (psssstt Our beloved Pyry is not, believe it or not, a native English speaker, and he's too modest to mention it unless you ask. That we could all write in Finnish as he does in our language!! nod.gifbowdown.gif)

I have an advantage there, English is easier to learn than Finnish - which I've heard described as alien gibberish.
    Creativity's hard.

• vintagemxrvintagemxr Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    A lot of imaging programs can modify exifs. This is mostly about being able to correct for the situations where the camera's clock has been off, either reset or in the wrong time zone. I recently changed the capture times on a set of photos because there were two of us photographers and our cameras weren't set to the same time - and therefore showed up in a wonky order when I did the final pp and selections.

Obviously, fiddling with exifs just to make it fit a round of DSS is cheating. If your picture is old, put it in a mini challenge and go shoot something new - you might learn something while you're at it. :D

'scuse me? I hope that last paragraph wasn't directed at me personally. headscratch.gif Ah wait, I see that English isn't your first language. Might be a English grammer issue there. :D I work for a multi-national company and I always tell my colleagues that their English is better than my German/Spanish/Portuguese/Chinese or whatever. Translating thoughts from one language to another is fraught with errors, sometimes hilarious ones.

Resetting photo dates to match a specific date for some legitimate business or editing reason or another makes sense. Editing EXIF to cheat on a contest, minor or major, seems like foolish thing to. Reputations for honesty are easily lost and very tough to get back. Some in national politics are in the process of finding that out and I'm sure the DGrin family would be tougher to fool or live with than Congress, the media, and the voting public.
    :hang

Come to think of it, I value the honest opinions of people here more than I do those aforementioned groups! bowdown.gif

Doug
    "A photograph is usually looked at – seldom looked into." - Ansel Adams
    My B&W Photos
    Motorcycles in B&W
    edited December 15, 2008
    pyry wrote:

I have an advantage there, English is easier to learn than Finnish - which I've heard described as alien gibberish.
    To add to Pyry's comment Finnish sounds like jibberish because it's not related to any other languages spoken in Europe (except Estonian and Hungarian).

There are no gender nouns like "he" or "she", which simplify things somewhat but then, everything and everyone is an "it". rolleyes1.gif
  • liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    To add to Pyry's comment Finnish sounds like jibberish because it's not related to any other languages spoken in Europe (except Estonian and Hungarian).

There are no gender nouns like "he" or "she", which simplify things somewhat but then, everything and everyone is an "it". rolleyes1.gif

How do you say EXIF in Finnish?
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    liflander wrote:

Presumably something like "ellllxiiiiiifyy" (Finnish always seems to be i's, l's and y's) :D :giggle
    edited December 15, 2008
    liflander wrote:

No letter "x" in the Finnish alphabet. So I guess it would be "eksif". rolleyes1.gif Come to think of it, I don't think there's an "f", either....headscratch.gif. In that case it would be "eksiv". But then, Finns often like to add extra vowels at the end, so then it would become "eskiviä". :D

I'm sure that Pyry will chime in with the correct answer. rolleyes1.gif
    edited December 15, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:

oh i do believe we can always dig up the past....:D
    Aaron Nelson
    edited December 15, 2008
    vintagemxr wrote:
    'scuse me? I hope that last paragraph wasn't directed at me personally. headscratch.gif

Doug

Sorry Doug! That was meant for the world in general. 11doh.gif
    Creativity's hard.

• travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    I started this thread hoping to get a clarification from DGrin Challenges authorities on the subject
    of cheating by modifying the EXIF and also to learn about others opinions on this.

I certainly didn't need a lesson in the Finnish vs. English language, please... English is not my native language either,
    but I hope this will not make any difference in this community...

Should I start a new thread on this subject?

Going back, it seems that according to DoctorIt, changing the EXIF(mainly concerning the time) - on a photography during a challenge
    is an insignificant detail, since we are not competing for the "presidential election".

Why then the rules in the contest mention the opposite: "the image should be fresh taken during the time of the contest"

In addition, on this specific contest the time was very important because no alterations were allowed -

I'm not talking about those who had problems downloading their images to the computer, etc... it's out or my technical knowledge.

I'm talking about the possibility of cheating by tweaking the images to get a better quality while making them look fresh and unaltered, intentionally.
    Travelways.com
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    Kiki wrote:
    I started this thread hoping to get a clarification from DGrin Challenges authorities on the subject
    of cheating by modifying the EXIF and also to learn about others opinions on this.

If you look back at previous threads, you will see this topic has been brought up on numerous occasions, and it all boils down to "the honor system". If someone feels the need to cheat their exif info for a photography competition, well that doesn't say much for them.
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
    edited December 15, 2008
    Kiki wrote:
    I'm not talking about those who had problems downloading their images to the computer, etc... it's out or my technical knowledge.

I'm talking about the possibility of cheating by tweaking the images to get a better quality while making them look fresh and unaltered, intentionally.

It's probably out of the technical knowledge of nearly all of us. If we started to require identical capture and modification times, there would be a flood of DQs.

Even with elaborate precautions like providing originals (which would make taking part in the challenge something to consider very hard because of the possibility of the original escaping control and takes the mods' workload off the scale), it would still boil down to the honour system.
    Creativity's hard.

edited December 16, 2008
    it comes down to this:

you can cheat, anyone can cheat, we all know this... it is not new news...

theres more than one way to tell a cheat other than exif....

the point is, EXIF is not going to be an issue any longer to worry about...

who/what/where????...we are waiting for the new news, just hang tight...

dont get offended and ruffled your thread was taken over....its happend to all of us...

Kiki wrote:

I certainly didn't need a lesson in the Finnish vs. English language, please... English is not my native language either,
    but I hope this will not make any difference in this community...

Should I start a new thread on this subject?

Going back, it seems that according to DoctorIt, changing the EXIF(mainly concerning the time) - on a photography during a challenge
    is an insignificant detail, since we are not competing for the "presidential election".

Why then the rules in the contest mention the opposite: "the image should be fresh taken during the time of the contest"

In addition, on this specific contest the time was very important because no alterations were allowed -

Aaron Nelson
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    Entry gallery = no more exif worries :ivar

Honor system = no more exif worries wings.gif

No more exif worries = mods much happier campers to run this thing :D

Cheaters = you have to live with your own cold, sinful heart gerg.gif

Now please, let's focus on the fun stuff, worry less about the not-fun stuff and get shooting. 9496500-Ti.gif

With all of these recent changes and the awesome community efforts, I'm really excited about my role here again - and that, my friends is a wonderful thing!!! iloveyou.gif
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6