Options

*ENTRY* THREAD: DSS Round #15 (Family or Strangers)

Comments

• Options
    pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    it's really nice, sharp, and subject is food =c) only thing i'd do personally (and this just might be a pyro thing) but i'd bring up the blacks a bit
    Note: This photo is not an entry. This photo is me indulging myself in photography for a moment (imagine that!).

437998933_jj5iS-M.jpg

Dang! It's been so long since I posted a shot here, I had to think twice about what I was doing! Gimme a critique, oh guest judge of the round. Don't hold back now (not that I thought you would!).
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited December 18, 2008
    Ok...I am game. I added mine to the gallery. Just a side note though. I used the old standby of drag and drop downloader (which is the one I always use) and after it was done downloading it asks if I want to admire my album I just downloaded too. Well when I clicked yes. It took me to the page but my picture wasn't there. It also said I was logged out. So I logged back in and walla...my picture is there and I was able to add the caption.

So it all turned out ok in the end. But if it happens to you just log back in...there seems to be a little glitch.

So if anyone wants to give me a heads up on what you think of my image go to the gallery and let me know! Thanks! Hopefully I wont have to go back outside...its cold out there!
  • Options
    CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    Just curious If the COMMENTS section is also going to be live during the contest. ?? I thought that discussions were frowned on. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited December 18, 2008
    discussions are not frowned upon. Just look at the rest of this thread!:D
  • Options
    Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    CookieS wrote:
    Just curious If the COMMENTS section is also going to be live during the contest. ?? I thought that discussions were frowned on. ne_nau.gif

There is this discussion here for DSS #15, the pictures are in the gallery. I'm guessing no comments will be in the gallery until after the challenge has ended.
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    There is this discussion here for DSS #15, the pictures are in the gallery. I'm guessing no comments will be in the gallery until after the challenge has ended.

Why not? I was hoping you all would start commenting as the entries came in. Doc, is there any tehnical reason not to do this?
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 19, 2008
    Why not? I was hoping you all would start commenting as the entries came in. Doc, is there any tehnical reason not to do this?
    Why not? If gallery entry makes everyone relax a bit, about judges seeing comments and that sort of thing, I'm a happy camper.

Let's lay it out, DGrin challenges are about:
    1. Shooting
    2. Talking (here, on our forum, when possible)
    3. Learning

in that order. the rest of my list is something like...

72. turkey sammich
    823. judging
    1,127. exif
    1,128. prizes
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    Note: This photo is not an entry. This photo is me indulging myself in photography for a moment (imagine that!).

437998933_jj5iS-M.jpg

Dang! It's been so long since I posted a shot here, I had to think twice about what I was doing! Gimme a critique, oh guest judge of the round. Don't hold back now (not that I thought you would!).

Hi, Emily

C&C..... well i told you i could give you some comments.

but first let me point out Doctorit has Turkey Sammich way to low on the list...

anyway, there is quite a challenge in commenting on a image like this, its not like you can go back and reshoot...
    knowing all the images i have of my children that are really really special to me its easy for me to say you have a really good one here.
    I think Linda & Benjer had some great comments, i could not express myself that well within a post...

my only suggestion,... is,.... i believe a true contrast B&W would benefit this image best...and a little tilt adjustment like suggested by Benjer..
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Why not? If gallery entry makes everyone relax a bit, about judges seeing comments and that sort of thing, I'm a happy camper.

Let's lay it out, DGrin challenges are about:
    1. Shooting
    2. Talking (here, on our forum, when possible)
    3. Learning

in that order. the rest of my list is something like...

72. turkey sammich
    823. judging
    1,127. exif
    1,128. prizes

mmm, turkey.
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    baldmountainbaldmountain Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    KevXman wrote:
    mmm, turkey.

Ooooo, with leftover gravy, stuffing and cranberry sauce all on mountainbread. Yum! wings.gif
    geoff
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    Ooooo, with leftover gravy, stuffing and cranberry sauce all on mountainbread. Yum! wings.gif

What's mountainbread? It sounds delicious!!!
  • Options
    baldmountainbaldmountain Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    What's mountainbread? It sounds delicious!!!

My wife describes it as: "A cross between italian and a sour dough bread. It doesn't have that after flavor that regular sour dough read has. It's closer to a soft italian; but it's not exactly italian". Makes good sized slices. Imagine a perfect slice of turkey all the way across the big side of a turkey breast. That's about the size of a slice. Put a little mayo on one slice of bread, add said big slice of turkey, add some stuffing and gravy, spread a little cranberry sauce on the other slice and place on top. You have one yummy sandwich. :eat
    geoff
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2008
    thats it im going to lunch....:bread
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    thats it im going to lunch....:bread
    Dayum, I just got back from lunch but now i want something else.....headscratch.gif
  • Options
    MrsCueMrsCue Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    I haven't read the other posts so I may be repeating what has already been said but I can't log in to smugmug.
    Is this because I don't have an account there.
    Therefore, I can't enter the contest unless I get an account?
    Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector

• Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    MrsCue wrote:
    I haven't read the other posts so I may be repeating what has already been said but I can't log in to smugmug.

Login to the DSS #15 Gallery and use "challenges" as user name and password. thumb.gif

Dan
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2008
    MrsCue wrote:
    Well therein lies your problem. :D Please re-read the instructions in the first post of this thread.
    Absolutely not! Do you really think we'd do that?! Again, see the first post, as well as what Dan just posted above (although he made a slight typo, it's plural).

Anyone can log in:
    username = challenges
    password = challenges
    Erik

• Options
    MrsCueMrsCue Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    Thank you :)
    Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector

• Options
    edited December 26, 2008
    Missing photographer, "Sisters"
    In the holiday spirit, I'll post this here - however, please be advised, in the future, I will not be posting errors like this individually and everytime, they will simply be disqualified when the challenge closes.

"Sisters" is missing any photographer info. If we don't know who entered it, it's DQ'ed.
    Erik

• Options
    edited December 26, 2008
    where did all this niceness come from? did you get visited the other night from three ghosts?rolleyes1.gifthumb.gif:D

:ivar
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2008
    somehow i think i will pay for that last post:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2008
    somehow i think i will pay for that last post:D
    whoops, did I just delete that photo??? lol3.gif
    Erik

• Options
    fotoeffectsfotoeffects Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    Question about challenge.
    Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge #15

Welcome to Round #15 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges. This challenge is open to any Dgrin member. It will run from Monday, December 15, 08:00am, EST time (GMT -5) to Monday, December 29, 08:00am, EST time (GMT -5).

The topic ready for your interpretation:

Family or Strangers
    How do you portray relationships in an image? Please don't show us a standard studio family portrait with everyone wearing denim! This is a perect opportunity for candid work, street photography and informal portraits. Body language, facial expressions and environments can be keys to unlocking the story of relationships. Or perhaps none of this appeals to you, and you will search for alternative definitions...
    Your Judges:
    #1 Divamum
    #2 AaronNelson

IMPORTANT NOTE: We're going to try something new this time around - you'll be submitting your entry directly into a Smugmug gallery! It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page: Since this is the first go around, let's all relax and see how it goes, ok? Just so you know, the login we're giving you is "assistant" level, which means you can't really mess anything up too badly - read: you can't delete anything. There may be a few snags here and there, but our chief challenge-mechanic, DoctorIt, is going to work them out. Please PM him and only expect a reply on urgent issues. No more size, and hopefully no more exif issues! This thread, for the most part, is only here to give you this info. For this first go at gallery submission, we can try to address any common issues here.

Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your exif will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules, there have been some slight modifications.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    Are we allowed to submit a composite image?
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2008
    learnin wrote:

yes, all layers must be fresh within time frame. the idea is you must start from scratch....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    learnin wrote:

Yes, please read the Challenge Rules in full. thumb.gif
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    edited December 27, 2008
    Another potential DQ... no caption whatsoever ne_nau.gif

http://challenges.smugmug.com/gallery/6811595_a9n7K#443538835_tYsGN
    Erik

• Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2008
    I've noticed with other DGrin galleries that the caption I enter in the e-mail body doesn't carry over because I'm using e-mail over the Web instead of through a program like Outlook. I wonder if this is a bug and is affecting others like it does me? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    brocotbrocot Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2008
    This is the first time a post e photo to the challenge.
    The name of the photo is not appearing.

the name of the file "brocot_friends for ever"

Sorry, Ok "Ad caption"
    D7200/Nikon AF-S DX Nikkon 10-24mm/10-24dx/105mm prime/Nikon 200-500sb900/
    Hello, :thumb Mi Smug :
    http://erikgodderis.smugmug.com/
    http://www.godderis.be
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    I've noticed with other DGrin galleries that the caption I enter in the e-mail body doesn't carry over because I'm using e-mail over the Web instead of through a program like Outlook. I wonder if this is a bug and is affecting others like it does me? headscratch.gif
    works fine in our tests, but even if there is an email glitch for some, there's really no excuse, as you all have access to login and fix your captions.
    Erik

• Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2008
    How do you
    Hi Mods

Just wondering how do you delete a photo from the entry gallery?

I would like to keep the one with the * by my username, and delete the other...

Tried using the "tools" and the "delete" but it appears blocked.

Thanks
    Donna
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
This discussion has been closed.