Options

Giving back to the community! --Contest Entry Thread

TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
edited January 2, 2009 in The Big Picture
When I first joined Dgrin, I was welcomed with open arms and the veterans of this forum poured knowledge into me without any restrictions. I followed their advice, accepted criticism with an open mind and I am where I am today. My friends and family always say to me, "I never knew you took photography classes, these are great!" Dgrin is my photography class. Everything I've learned about photography, I've learned from this forum. This is my humble contribution, to this great site, that taught me so much.

The Contest: This is a photo and essay based contest. This is open to our newest Dgrin members (signed up this summer or after). For this contest, you'll write a short essay on the topic, "This is why I became a photographer." You must also attach a photo that you feel is your best, and explain why you love it so much. The contest will run from Tuesday December 16th until Tuesday December 30th. The community will decide via a poll, after the finalists are selected.

The Prizes: One year subscription to Smugmug standard. If you don't know what smugmug is, please visit the site. I'm not affiliated with smugmug in anyway, but I do feel this is a great tool worth having. And I'm giving this to the winner from my own pocket.

Nikolai contributed his own designed application Star*Explorer what works cohesively with smugmug!

The Details: You can enter with any original picture you wish. There is no restriction on the date of capture. EXIF information is not needed, but if you would like to include things like shutter speed, aperture and ISO/ASA please feel free to do so.

The judging of the short essay, isn't based on grammar, it's an essay based on how best you answered the challenge question. The photograph will be judged on title, composition, and impact. The finalists will be selected by the total points their essay and photograph accrued. It will be a 10 point based system, for both the photo and the essay. That will then be tallied and the three people, who score the highest, will continue to the finals and have an open vote from the Dgrin community.

Good luck to all the participants and welcome to Dgrin!

I'd like to thank Stephanie over at smugmug for the sponsoring details, DavidTO for allowing me to do this, and Nikolai for his extra contribution.

***Contest amendment***
Due to the great entries we received, I'm going to up the number of finalists to 5.
Frank Martinez
Nikon Shooter
It's all about the moment...

Comments

• Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    define "new" im still new to dgrin....IMO and love your idea...though i wont enter because i have already received a prize from smugmug (not that i would win, im just sayin)...
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2008
    New as in, anyone that signed up to dgrin from the summer until the end of this contest. And you have an unfair advantage Aaron. rolleyes1.gif
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited December 16, 2008
    Frank,

This is a very nice gesture. clap.gif

Might I make one suggestion? Open a separate thread for the entries and give it a title that will tell the world exactly what it's about. I'm afraid some people will miss it otherwise.

Regards,
  • Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    Guess that lets me out....GOOD LUCK to all the Newbies, I look forward to seeing and reading!!
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2008
    Can a moderator add "Contest entry thread" to the end of the title?
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Options
    AutonomousAutonomous Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    do we post it in here or what? or do we send it to you via email/private message?
    Rawr. Mwarr. Woof~
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    Trevlan wrote:
    Can a moderator add "Contest entry thread" to the end of the title?

Done.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Done.

Thanks David!

You guys can post here. If you don't have means to upload the photo, send them to me with your name, and I'll upload them for you. My email is TrevLan@gmail.com

Looking forward to all of the entries!
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    You got a sponsor: free Star*Explorer Standard Edition (or $15 off Power/Pro) for the said winner!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    You got a sponsor: free Star*Explorer Standard Edition (or $15 off Power/Pro) for the said winner!

Hey Nik, thanks for chiming in. You are one of the many vets here that has helped me over the months.

Info on Star*Explorer

Star*Explorer (S*E, formerly Smugmug Explorer) is a very small, fast, robust and efficient Windows application designed to facilitate certain smugmug-related activities, such as unlimited persistent image upload, download, customized gallery settings, reports, etc.
    It has been created and is fully supported by a person who loves digital photography, smugmug, and, most importantly, has more than 30 years of hardcore programming experience behind his belt.

Nik, thanks for the contribution! You are too kind.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    Good luck to those who qualify!
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited December 16, 2008
    from one bronx boy to another... rock on thumb.gif
  • Options
    rajdeeprajdeep Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    Trevlan wrote:
    New as in, anyone that signed up to dgrin from the summer until the end of this contest. And you have an unfair advantage Aaron. rolleyes1.gif

That's great Frank!! this also reminds everyone that every veteran was once a rookiebowdown.gif
    Still looking for a good signature...
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    Hi Frank,

First I have to say that what you are doing here is very generous and very nice.
    The idea of helping new Dgriners on their photography paths is really fantastic
    and I personally have to say a big thank you for this :)

However, I have few comments and questions here:

1. I see that your self joined Jul 2008 at Dgrin... but obviously you are not a beginner,
    especially considering what you are saying...
    When I first joined Dgrin, I was welcomed with open arms and the
    veterans of this forum poured knowledge into me without any restrictions.
    I followed their advice, accepted criticism with an open mind and I am where I am today.

Sorry but this is a little confusing... rolleyes1.gif

a. BTW: you were so fortunate to receive that welcome full of knowledge...

b. Myself, I learned a little or I may say a lot from the few contests I participated on since I joined (Aug. 08)

- that's why I participated, to put myself to a challenge....

- that was also the reason why I asked for more explanations if possible on judging the
    entries and the winners, so I can learn what I'm doing wrong.

2. The date of joining Dgrin is not relevant at all for somebody's level in photography.

There are people who joined recently but have been doing this for years - people who can say
    they are photographers, even though their are not considering themselves professionals.

* I personally, don't consider myself even a photographer - I may become one eventually,
    but for now, I'm an amateur who like to take shots, because I like to capture those nice sceenes I see :)

3. Related to the statement above: What this contest will prove actually: - that I cannot dare to continue participating to Dgrin?

- Since there are people (at SmugMug/Dgrin) like Michael, for example (http://www.micalngelo.smugmug.com/) ,
    who actually as I see joined Dgrin in Sep 2008 (after me headscratch.gif ), it will be a total lack of good sense
    from my side to even think participating to this contest alongside of him...

These above are just few quick thoughts after seeing your thread. I may come with others later...

Hmm... Now I feel ashamed that even I entered into those contests, when I don't even understand what is all this about rolleyes1.gif

I hope you will not take my words wrong.

Thank you anyway for your offer :)
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    photo-bug wrote:
    Hi Frank,

First I have to say that what you are doing here is very generous and very nice.
    The idea of helping new Dgriners on their photography paths is really fantastic
    and I personally have to say a big thank you for this :)

However, I have few comments and questions here:

1. I see that your self joined Jul 2008 at Dgrin... but obviously you are not a beginner,
    especially considering what you are saying...

Sorry but this is a little confusing... rolleyes1.gif

a. BTW: you were so fortunate to receive that welcome full of knowledge...

b. Myself, I learned a little or I may say a lot from the few contests I participated on since I joined (Aug. 08)

- that's why I participated, to put myself to a challenge....

- that was also the reason why I asked for more explanations if possible on judging the
    entries and the winners, so I can learn what I'm doing wrong.

2. The date of joining Dgrin is not relevant at all for somebody's level in photography.

There are people who joined recently but have been doing this for years - people who can say
    they are photographers, even though their are not considering themselves professionals.

* I personally, don't consider myself even a photographer - I may become one eventually,
    but for now, I'm an amateur who like to take shots, because I like to capture those nice sceenes I see :)

3. Related to the statement above: What this contest will prove actually: - that I cannot dare to continue participating to Dgrin?

- Since there are people (at SmugMug/Dgrin) like Michael, for example (http://www.micalngelo.smugmug.com/) ,
    who actually as I see joined Dgrin in Sep 2008 (after me headscratch.gif ), it will be a total lack of good sense
    from my side to even think participating to this contest alongside of him...

These above are just few quick thoughts after seeing your thread. I may come with others later...

Hmm... Now I feel ashamed that even I entered into those contests, when I don't even understand what is all this about rolleyes1.gif

I hope you will not take my words wrong.

Thank you anyway for your offer :)

Kiki-

I think you have read too much into a simple gesture and a simple contest. The contest is Essay based not photo based therefore you are on a level playing field with anyone that has ever picked up a camera. Frank is just looking for people to share their story whether it occured 2 months ago or 20 years ago. The level of photography has absolutely no impact on what the contest is about.

The outcome of this contest will prove that those who choose to participate will probably learn more about themselves and definitely more about other members that recently joined this community.

There is no requirement to enter this or any contest on dgrin or even share any personal information. It is your choice.

Personally I would like to see a contest similar to this opened to all members of dgrin. I think it is a great idea and know first hand that posts are often misread or misinterpreted because people do not know each other or others cultures. Opening up yourself allows people to see us in a different light than how we post on a daily basis.

The best to you
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    Trevlan wrote:

haha, my writing skills are worse than my photog skills...i would have no chance at a win at this awesome idea of a contest.....good luck!
    if you need me for anything just send me a PM, i would be happy to help in anyway....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2008
    anwmn1 wrote:
    I think you have read too much into a simple gesture and a simple contest. The contest is Essay based not photo based therefore you are on a level playing field with anyone that has ever picked up a camera. Frank is just looking for people to share their story whether it occured 2 months ago or 20 years ago. The level of photography has absolutely no impact on what the contest is about.

Hmm... I'm not considering myself an Einstein, so sorry, but to me what you are saying is different than what Frank said:

"The Contest: This is a photo and essay based contest. This is open to our newest Dgrin members (signed up this summer or after). For this contest, you'll write a short essay on the topic, "This is why I became a photographer." You must also attach a photo that you feel is your best, and explain why you love it so much. The contest will run from Tuesday December 16th until Tuesday December 30th. The community will decide via a poll, after the finalists are selected."

Another thing I don't understand is this phrase:

"The outcome of this contest will prove that those who choose to participate will probably learn more about themselves and definitely more about other members that recently joined this community."

I would happily participate into a thread on this subject, telling about my self and learning about others,
    but, why do we need a contest for this?

Anyway, as I said, I'm not a photographer, so I'm not eligible and as AaronNelson said, my essay skills are worse than the photography skills.
    In addition, I'm not good in contests, because I panic and do things wrong - I do them much better when it's not about a contest.

Well, I know this is not about me - I just put my 2 cents in here...

Thank you anyway.
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    privateprivate Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    So I include my photo and a short essay - is a paragraph enough or do you need more than that? I have my photo in mind, and now I have to write the words...:)
    Pat
    www.pixiememories.com

Canon Xti, 17-85IS, Nifty Fifty, 75-300 (kit lens), 430ex II and waaay too many filters :D
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2008
    rajdeep wrote:
    That's great Frank!! this also reminds everyone that every veteran was once a rookiebowdown.gif

I'm far from a veteran. I just want to show my appreciation to the site. Maybe next year, one of the people who were once new, will do the same.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2008
    photo-bug wrote:
    Hmm... I'm not considering myself an Einstein, so sorry, but to me what you are saying is different than what Frank said:

"The Contest: This is a photo and essay based contest. This is open to our newest Dgrin members (signed up this summer or after). For this contest, you'll write a short essay on the topic, "This is why I became a photographer." You must also attach a photo that you feel is your best, and explain why you love it so much. The contest will run from Tuesday December 16th until Tuesday December 30th. The community will decide via a poll, after the finalists are selected."

Another thing I don't understand is this phrase:

"The outcome of this contest will prove that those who choose to participate will probably learn more about themselves and definitely more about other members that recently joined this community."

I would happily participate into a thread on this subject, telling about my self and learning about others,
    but, why do we need a contest for this?

Anyway, as I said, I'm not a photographer, so I'm not eligible and as AaronNelson said, my essay skills are worse than the photography skills.
    In addition, I'm not good in contests, because I panic and do things wrong - I do them much better when it's not about a contest.

Well, I know this is not about me - I just put my 2 cents in here...

Thank you anyway.

This contest, as Aaron pointed out, is not only about photography. It's not a contest to see who is the best photographer. It's a contest to see why you became a photographer.

I guess I might have been wrong for limiting this to only the new memembers. But If this were an open pool, I'm sure the new people wouldn't want to even attempt to join because of the intimidation factor.

I myself didn't post a single picture for 4 months because my best shot, was worthless compared to all of the shots I've seen here. So imagine, hypothetically speaking, this is an open contest. And Yuri comes in saying that he became a photographer because he loves to take pictures of beautiful women. Then he posts one of his pictures. Would you bother joining the contest?

When I first drew up this idea, I wanted to put in in the Challenges section. But I was advised to stay away from that becauase Dgrin already has challenges with it's own sponsorships. What I'm offering is no big deal to the members that have already been here a while. Most of them already have a smugmug account, or are using some other picture uploading site.

I could just go ahead and select a random person and give them a smugmug account. It's not about the prize, the prize is the incentive for you to participate. It's all about your stories of why you became a photographer. That's what's most important. Everyone wins, and everyone learns.

BTW Kiki, a photographer is a person that takes pictures. You're definately a photographer in my book. Please join the contest. And act like it's not a contest! ;-)

I'll post an example, I'll use the same version I sent to the approvers. I was actually going to do that first, but I didn't want someone to say, "Damnit! That's what I was thinking about writing." I'll be back shortly with it.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2008
    private wrote:
    So I include my photo and a short essay - is a paragraph enough or do you need more than that? I have my photo in mind, and now I have to write the words...:)

Yep, that's it. A short essay about why you became a photographer. If you can explain it in all in a paragraph, great!
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2008
    Trevlan wrote:
    This contest, as Aaron pointed out, is not only about photography. It's not a contest to see who is the best photographer. It's a contest to see why you became a photographer.

Well Frank, this is another story... nod.gif

I'm flattered now that you insist for my participation - Yes sure I would love to participate in these conditions iloveyou.gif

Now the only difficult thing for me will be to choose between so many wonderful photos I have :smooch

I'll be back shortly rolleyes1.gif

Thank you
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2008
    Here was the example I submitted when I was getting permission to do this.

A photograph is worth a thousand words. Each photo tells a story, and it's not up to the viewer to decide it, it's up to the photographer to produce it.

I became a photographer because I want to have that same impact. My dream is to have people look at one of my photos and say, "Wow, what a captivating image. This photograph is speaking to me!" I want to have the technical competence to produce a photograph exactly as I saw it with my eyes.

My included photograph, was taken when the economy started to plunge. This is my favorite shot because it was a daring one. You can tell that the gentleman in this photo recently became homeless. His face clearly shows that he's pondering the question, "Why is this guy taking a picture of me?" This photo shows that although our hero is down and out, he still has faith and believes that he will soon emerge from this problem he's facing. And that is true for all problems. Time heals everything. Some of us just don't have the patience. I've titled this one, "My Fortune"

377634879_uPLqN-L.jpg
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 17, 2008
    Three pages of stuff and not one single photo. Whats up with that? ne_nau.gif

If I were qualified to enter this contest, I would have.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    captain78 wrote:

15524779-Ti.gif

14326054-L.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2008
    I think it's because everyone is shy. Remember when you were hesitant to post your first photo for a contest? Ahhhhh. The good old days. Now, we're naked in our daily phots. Incredible.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2008
    Trevlan wrote:
    I think it's because everyone is shy. Remember when you were hesitant to post your first photo for a contest? Ahhhhh. The good old days. Now, we're naked in our daily phots. Incredible.

I also think that not too many people know about this.

I would like to put my pic right now, but I'm so extremely busy with my business that I almost totally neglected because of ... "this photography!"

It will also take time to right that "about" story, because as you may noticed English is not my main language...
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    Frank, this as awesome - what a great idea! thumb.gif
  • Options
    baldmountainbaldmountain Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    captain78 wrote:

We're all thinking carefully about what we want to write for our essay. I'm up to about 43 pages. :giggle

Seriously though, I have a picture in mind and just need to think a bit more about what I want to say.
    geoff
  • Options
    baldmountainbaldmountain Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    "Why I'm a photographer in too many words or less"

438675622_bLwqx-M.jpg

There are a couple parts to this essay so bear with me.

You may be wondering why I posted this picture. There are two reasons.

I work for a company called Mobicious. We have a website called SnapMyLife that is kind of like a version of twitter using pictures. Specifically, pictures from mobile phones. To help support the company I started taking hundreds of pictures to upload to the site. This picture is one of them. It’s a picture of my son sitting next to me on an ottoman. I took it with a camera phone. The only light was a small 40watt Ott light. The quality of the image is just wretched but I really like the image. This image made me realize that I was starting to visualize images before I took them. To think a bit about how the image was going to look and what I could do to make it better. This image also made me realize that camera phones are horrible. These both started me on a quest for good images. Not just decent family snapshots, but images at least as good as in any magazine.

The second reason is I don’t want to win. Yes, I’d like a free year of SmugMug. But I want to win it by winning one of the SharpShooter challenges. You see, I’m on a quest for the best images I can possibly make. I’m reading voraciously and taking scads of pictures. At least a few every day. I hunt places and things to shoot. I try shots I don’t have the equipment for and see if I can make them work. I test ideas and delete rubbish shots mercilessly. I jump into threads here that I have no right to expecting to be corrected. I submit shots to contests and challenges even though I know I’m going to have my hat handed to me. I’m leaping way out of my abilities so I can grasp something beyond what is expected...

So why do I like photography?

Hmmm... Growing up I wanted to be an artist. My parents were concerned that I wouldn’t be able to make a living as an artist so I chose Physics. My dad then convinced me that I’d end up as an engineer if I studied Physics so why not take Engineering instead?

In Engineering school as electives I took the music theory class the music majors took and got an A. I took the drawing class that the art majors took and got an A. I squeaked by my engineering classes and aced my art electives. I graduated and got a job as an engineer and still write software for a living. But my whole life I’ve been drawn to the arts. Music moves me like nothing else. (It kills me that I am tone deaf, have no rhythm and can’t sing a note. I’d love to be able to play but my brain just isn’t wired to make music.) The first time I saw Rodin’s Psyche at the MFA in Boston it made me weep. My family has to drag me kicking and screaming from the museum when we go...

Yeah, but why Photography?

After all I’ve said you still have to ask?

Well, here is a little more...

I was wandering through Barnes & Noble and came across a copy of “The Photography Book”. The one by Phaidon Press. It’s a short biography and a single representative image from 500 different photographers. I started flipping through it. I got to the end and started over... I had to go back to the beginning several times and slowed down to look closer. I spent an hour looking at the book and came away shaking. I had to put the book down and walk away because the images were so powerful I couldn’t handle it. That was when I realized that I was going to immerse myself in Photography...
    geoff