Options

Giving back to the community! --Contest Entry Thread

13»

Comments

• Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    Trevlan wrote:
    That's exactly what I meant when I said we were all winners!

The moment of truth is now, I cheated and upped the finallists to 5. I don't even know how I'm going to pick 5 people. So much for the 10 point system, everyone got a 10. LoL.

Starting the poll in a new thread.

Trevlan, some people dont understand tongue-in-cheek, writing out literal seems to be best with some people. so saying "i cheated" would rub some people wrong...
    i understand not being able to select a winner within this group... i had a hard time voting (and i did it based on the story not anything else...)
    i enjoyed all the stories, but one sentence hit me hard, so i voted for that one...

i think Tataina may have not had a problem with something like: "out of these five i cannot choose, please vote for a winner" or something like that... anyway...

and i liked the simple fact that this brought out words from the photographer that otherwise would have never been written....

like one said they are using it for the bio...thats cool...

and also its kinda cool to know people better.... imagine if we all had to write out something like this to be part of a community....i would like that...
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    Well put Aaron. I agree. I often see this on the Net, where written words are misinterpreted and results in a big mess. I may be wrong, and please correct me if I am Tatiana, but I think English is not her first language. That makes it more important to be a bit more literal when explaining things. I am the first born in the US so I know first hand how things can get messed up in translation. I think of many funny examples of perfectly innocent things my parents have heard or read and taken offense to.

I just hope both you and Tatiana don't let this keep you from posting on our forum.

BTW, I think your "contest" was a very nice and cool gesture.

Alex
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    I'm glad we all benefited from this in the end. Very nice words Aaron.

This was my main plot. Who cares about a smugmug membership? It was all about the stories. Reading other peoples stories, we learn about ourselves.

Thanks again to all of the people who participated.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • Options
    privateprivate Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    I kind of understand where Tatiana is coming from. When there are 7 entries and you are part of the two that are not chosen - you KNOW you are dead last or at the very best least next to last. If three were chose as originally intended you could "fool" yourself into thinking that you were close to third place and that's not so bad.

IMO, its just not that great for the ego. I am really only speaking for myself b/c I was DEAD last or next to last.

All of that being sd, I am glad that I had the opportunity to put my thoughts in to words for my website. Its just that when you are just starting out in the business, you do not want to hear any negative words (even though they might be warranted) until your confinedence is at its peak.
    Pat
    www.pixiememories.com

Canon Xti, 17-85IS, Nifty Fifty, 75-300 (kit lens), 430ex II and waaay too many filters :D
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2009
    private wrote:
    I kind of understand where Tatiana is coming from. When there are 7 entries and you are part of the two that are not chosen - you KNOW you are dead last or at the very best least next to last. If three were chose as originally intended you could "fool" yourself into thinking that you were close to third place and that's not so bad.

IMO, its just not that great for the ego. I am really only speaking for myself b/c I was DEAD last or next to last.

All of that being sd, I am glad that I had the opportunity to put my thoughts in to words for my website. Its just that when you are just starting out in the business, you do not want to hear any negative words (even though they might be warranted) until your confinedence is at its peak.

No one is dead last. That wasn't the point of this. We are all in first place. This isn't about a contest. This was about you, finding out why you became a photographer.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Options
    privateprivate Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:
    No one is dead last. That wasn't the point of this. We are all in first place. This isn't about a contest. This was about you, finding out why you became a photographer.

Unfortunately, when there are 7 entries and 5 are selected there is a rating system... I'm not complaining, I am just saying. Now if there were 25 entries and 5 were selected 20% are in the top tier, with 7 entries and 5 selected approximately 71% are in the top tier. Now if there were 7 entries and three were selected 42% would have been in the top...

Yes everyone is a "winner" but when something tangible is offered there will be a loser - its no big deal, its the way it is...
    Pat
    www.pixiememories.com

Canon Xti, 17-85IS, Nifty Fifty, 75-300 (kit lens), 430ex II and waaay too many filters :D
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    private wrote:
    Unfortunately, when there are 7 entries and 5 are selected there is a rating system... I'm not complaining, I am just saying. Now if there were 25 entries and 5 were selected 20% are in the top tier, with 7 entries and 5 selected approximately 71% are in the top tier. Now if there were 7 entries and three were selected 42% would have been in the top...

Yes everyone is a "winner" but when something tangible is offered there will be a loser - its no big deal, its the way it is...

Here we go...

We may be "all winners" but this is seen differently from outside of the chosen list, and may even be a little harmful.

I anticipated this when I said in the first place that this kind of subject should not be made as a challenge.

Anyway, the past is past and as I said, I can live with this - hopefully the new year 2009 will make me and you less losers and more winners :)

Life is short - let's try to make it nicer for us and the ones around - eat, drink and be merry!

Here is a photo of the New Years' party last night in an Italian restaurant
    - everything was moving there, at that time :)

446440666_XcfRh-L.jpg

I can't wait to get dressed and go outside to take some photos :)

Happy New Year 2009 everybody!!!
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2009
    Tatiana and Pat:

I wasn't expecting anyone to get upset or feel that they have lost. This is the first time I'm doing this, and I'll do it again in 6 months if I'm granted permission. For the next time, I'll include all of the participants in the poll.

Why did I bump the number up to 5 and not 7, but up from 3?

All the entries were outstanding. Each and everyone of your deserve a prize. I figured 5 was a nice number for the following reason;

Mathematics. Not too many people are following this, nor care which 'newby' gets a measly smugmug membership. If we have 7 people to choose from, and only 7 votes were casted and everyone selected 1 person, then we wouldn't have a winner. But 7 votes on 5 entries there will definately be a winner or a tie. And a 2 way tie is easier to deal with than a 7 way tie.

Why didn't I select your entries?

I enjoyed Tatiana's entry, and I enjoyed Pat's entry. I didn't feel Tatiana's picture went with her story as much as the other 6 entrants. Pat's entry was great and so was the picture of her son. I literaly pulled names out of a hat because the 10 point system didn't work. All of you got a 10. All of you were in the hat, it was just the luck of the draw. And I'm sorry you weren't picked.

Next time, we'll include everyone. Have a great new year...
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter