Options

*ENTRY* THREAD: DSS Round #16 (The Big Wide World of Dgrin)

Comments

• Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,198 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    Well, I have what I hope isn't too dumb of a question. What if you post pics in another section of Dgrin, ask for feedback, but don't get any? Does that still meet the requirements of this challenge?

I have noticed that some people get a lot of feedback on their posts, but others (including me) get none to very little. I could assume this means my pictures reek, but I rarely get any suggestions for improvement from other Dgrinners. I'm certainly no pro. I know I have lots of room for improvement and need all the advice I can get, but I have actually found that I get more feedback and better advice from a different (non photography oriented) Forum that I frequent.

I'm not trying to complain (even though it sort of sounds like it) because I do read a lot of the advice that others receive and I have learned from it. I'm just saying I don't get much response to anything that I post here, so I rarely do it anymore.

One last little comment: I truly respect the judges and the effort that is required to choose finalists from all the great entries and then enter the feedback on those selections. I would like to say that (to me) the entries that are NOT chosen as finalists need the feedback much more than those that are chosen. I know that is more work, but that would be more helpful to me.

Thanks,
    Sherry
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    I think these are good points, Sherry.
    slpollett wrote:
    I have noticed that some people get a lot of feedback on their posts, but others (including me) get none to very little. I could assume this means my pictures reek, but I rarely get any suggestions for improvement from other Dgrinners. I'm certainly no pro. I know I have lots of room for improvement and need all the advice I can get, but I have actually found that I get more feedback and better advice from a different (non photography oriented) Forum that I frequent.

I can only speak for myself and my own experience, of course, but I've had the feeling it's as much to do with "familiarity" as anything - I know that initially I didn't get that many responses to my posts, but the more I have contributed and asked questions and become actively involved, the more people have stepped up to the plate to comment when I've requested C&C (not just in Challenges, but the other forums too).
    One last little comment: I truly respect the judges and the effort that is required to choose finalists from all the great entries and then enter the feedback on those selections. I would like to say that (to me) the entries that are NOT chosen as finalists need the feedback much more than those that are chosen. I know that is more work, but that would be more helpful to me.

Again, I can't speak for everybody, but as the first judge in this new format, I wasn't sure whether we were supposed to/allowed to/encouraged to do this without being asked. I do know that both Aaron and I posted independently that we would be happy to offer comments to any entrants of the round who requested it.

HTH!
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Again, I can't speak for everybody, but as the first judge in this new format, I wasn't sure whether we were supposed to/allowed to/encouraged to do this without being asked. I do know that both Aaron and I posted independently that we would be happy to offer comments to any entrants of the round who requested it. HTH!

Happy New Year, divamum!

If you wanted to make comments on all the photos entered, there's nothing stopping you from doing that. :D You weren't around when we started these challenges with Emily but in the first few challenges, she would comment on every photo that was entered. Yep, every single one. It was optional for the second judge to comment on every photo. But minimally, the second judge had to comment on the 10 that he or she picked. Many commented on all the photos. I was one of them. It's time-consuming :whew but good experience. I remember breaking it down in spurts of 10-15 comments at a clip. It took about a day and a half to get them all done.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 1, 2009
    slpollett wrote:
    Well, I have what I hope isn't too dumb of a question. What if you post pics in another section of Dgrin, ask for feedback, but don't get any? Does that still meet the requirements of this challenge?
    No, and in fact, you will be banned from Dgrin, and more likely than not, the internet altogether.

Happy New Year folks wave.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited January 1, 2009
    DoctorIt wrote:
    No, and in fact, you will be banned from Dgrin, and more likely than not, the internet altogether.

eek7.gifeek7.gifeek7.gifeek7.gifeek7.gif

headscratch.gif Jeez....I really hope you're joking.... eek7.gif

Otherwise, I'll probably have to leave....:cry :cry :cry :cry :cry

Sherry
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2009
    slpollett wrote:
    headscratch.gif Jeez....I really hope you're joking.... eek7.gif
    Would it have been clearer if I had added: "...and you'll be banned from the entire universe! Forever!!!!?"

I make jokes because it's what I do - my way of telling everyone to lighten up! It's just a silly little photo contest!

But I've been thinking... since most of you seem to love rules for everything, I propose a new one: every time you post a question about exif, or if you have to pat your head and rub your belly (clockwise, of course) while you upload your photo entry, you must post TWO constructive artistic or technique comments about a photo. Deal?
    deal.gif

(I'm joking, again, OK? lol3.gif)
    Erik

• Options
    edited January 1, 2009
    Hey...I knew you were joking. I guess I'm not clear in the way I joke back!!

We must both have warped senses of humor!! rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

All joking aside, honestly...if we post pics in another part of Dgrin, ask for feedback, and don't get any...I would then assume that the photo cannot be entered in the challenge? Maybe that in itself is the message not to bother, huh?

Happy New Year!

Sherry
  • Options
    HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    slpollett wrote:
    Hey...I knew you were joking. I guess I'm not clear in the way I joke back!!

We must both have warped senses of humor!! rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

All joking aside, honestly...if we post pics in another part of Dgrin, ask for feedback, and don't get any...I would then assume that the photo cannot be entered in the challenge? Maybe that in itself is the message not to bother, huh?

Happy New Year!

Sherry

My understanding of the requirement technically: You simply need to post in another forum for C&C. What happens from there doesn't matter from the standpoint of qualification for the round. You've done your part and can post in the contest thread.

From a non-technical standpoint: If you post a pic and you aren't getting feedback, give a shout-out and one of the participants in these contests is going to pay attention to you. I know I'll try. Good luck with the photo making!
  • Options
    samsplacesamsplace Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Would it have been clearer if I had added: "...and you'll be banned from the entire universe! Forever!!!!?"

I make jokes because it's what I do - my way of telling everyone to lighten up! It's just a silly little photo contest!

But I've been thinking... since most of you seem to love rules for everything, I propose a new one: every time you post a question about exif, or if you have to pat your head and rub your belly (clockwise, of course) while you upload your photo entry, you must post TWO constructive artistic or technique comments about a photo. Deal

(I'm joking, again, OK? lol3.gif)

How about rub your belly counter-clockwise with 1 1/2 turns followed by twist.
    Take Nothing But Memories:rofl
    Kill Nothing But Time :clap
    Leave Nothing But Footprints :thumb

http://www.samsplacephotos.com
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2009
    samsplace wrote:
    How about rub your belly counter-clockwise with 1 1/2 turns followed by twist.

Except in months without an R, in which case it's clockwise :D
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    Happy New Year, divamum!

If you wanted to make comments on all the photos entered, there's nothing stopping you from doing that. :D You weren't around when we started these challenges with Emily but in the first few challenges, she would comment on every photo that was entered. Yep, every single one. It was optional for the second judge to comment on every photo. But minimally, the second judge had to comment on the 10 that he or she picked. Many commented on all the photos. I was one of them. It's time-consuming :whew but good experience. I remember breaking it down in spurts of 10-15 comments at a clip. It took about a day and a half to get them all done.

Thanks Linda! With that knowledge, I'm going ahead and adding to the remainder of the entries - everybody, please remember these are only my (entirely subjective) opinion, ymmv, etc etc etc. If anything is helpful then great - if not, just smile and ignore me :)
  • Options
    Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    slpollett wrote:

Hi Sherry,

while I pretty much just lurk in the challenges section, I will post in the various other sections. I know what you mean about some posts not getting many comments. But if you take a bit of time and comment on some of the other posts in that forum, you'll likely get a bit of reciprocal posting back (and meet some new people too mwink.gif )

have fun.

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    I feel for the mods.
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    Ryan ArmbrustRyan Armbrust Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    The pic entered must be from the date range of the contest?
    Is this correct?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    The pic entered must be from the date range of the contest?
    Is this correct?
    Please read the rules. They are clearly linked in post #1:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=101453
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Please read the rules. They are clearly linked in post #1:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=101453

A simple "Yes" would have worked...
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited January 3, 2009
    Perhaps. But from your question, you may also have been unfamiliar with the rest of the rules.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    Ryan: my post was well thought out. You were unfamiliar with the basic rule - there are others, too - so I wanted you to be sure to see them.

I'm really sorry you are so upset over this :(
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009

Ryan, we are easy going over here.... it will be nice to have yet another style around here...love your site & work!

based on your reaction i think you might have been offened but thats the common reply to questions like yours... it works best that way.

now you have the rules we will see your entry soon?
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    baldmountainbaldmountain Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    Ryan, we are easy going over here.... it will be nice to have yet another style around here...love your site & work!

+1 Me too. Especially the nighttime, available light shots and especially especially the woman with the sparkler in your slideshow.
    geoff
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Ryan: my post was well thought out. You were unfamiliar with the basic rule - there are others, too - so I wanted you to be sure to see them.

I'm really sorry you are so upset over this :(

My post was not made in anger.
    Andy's reply to my original question just seemed a little harsh to me.
    As soon as I can figure out which pic I want to enter, I will start my post.

Thanks for the clarity.
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    It never ceases to amaze me the amount of hand holding seemingly required with regard to these challenges, some of the questions are just so left field I sometimes wonder if I live in a bubble of common sense.

I do feel for the organisers.

Charlie
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2009
    Charlie, your bubble is touching my bubble....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2009
    thebigsky wrote:
    I do feel for the organisers.
    rolleyes1.gif

thanks!
    Erik

• Options
    edited January 5, 2009
    oh great, i just found out my exif didnt trans with my upload... i will send it from the correct computer tonight...hahahaha

DoctorIt: EXIF EXIF EXIF lol3.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2009
    mods, please delete :
    http://challenges.smugmug.com/gallery/6945681_onzG8#449596983_VqWSz

sorry for the trouble, i didnt know my first entry didnt have exif, apologies!
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    shutterbunnyshutterbunny Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    My First Challenge Entry Ever
    Hi,

I just made my first entry into this challenge (just first ever i should say). I am hoping I didn't goof up. I just read the response re: EXIF. How can I check if mine uploaded?

thanks
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Hi,

I just made my first entry into this challenge (just first ever i should say). I am hoping I didn't goof up. I just read the response re: EXIF. How can I check if mine uploaded?

thanks

Welcome shutterbunny! Nice image and I do see your exif,
    only problem is that it has a date taken from Nov 2008, and for the
    challenges, it needs to be a current picture, taken within the dates of this
    challenge round. There's still plenty of time! Good luck!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    DoctorIt wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif

thanks!

I know some people sometimes find your responses a little curt, in my opinion you're a model of restraint.

Now if I didn't take the picture in the qualifying period can I upload some EXIF from another picture that I did...

Charlie
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2009
    mods, please delete :
    http://challenges.smugmug.com/gallery/6945681_onzG8#449596983_VqWSz

sorry for the trouble, i didnt know my first entry didnt have exif, apologies!
    first one deleted thumb.gif
    Erik

This discussion has been closed.