Any D3 users out there willing to help a newbie?

WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
edited January 11, 2009 in Cameras
Hey all I just went out and bought a D3 as a Merry Christmas to me! present. I made this decision kind of hastily as I was frustrated with my D300 so I really don't know ....other than it is top of the line... why I made the choice. Now I find that I have only one lens (the 70-200) that works full frame on it. And just about 6 weeks ago I purchased a 17-55 which I was using for most of my indoor portraiture, and now I find myself not understanding the concept of a dx lens on a FF sensor. Can anyone explain?
I see that there is a crop box in the viewfinder. Does that mean that I should just shoot for that area and plan on post cropping to it?

Why does the zoom feel so far away? I can't seem to guage that so now when I crop in tight in PS there seems to be some pixellation.

Do I now have to go out and drop another 1500.00 for a 24-70 lens?

All of this started because I was taking shots at my son's wedding that were sub par with the d300. There seemed to be noise at 200iso and people were not as crystal clear as I am used to. This had happened only once before and I have no idea why. Otherwise my portraits are beautifully clear. I was shooting outside on like 3.5/125 on a cloudy day though there was some backlighting and was using a Gary Fong diffuser as I was the first time. But then it continued indoors.

So now the D3 and still the same problem. still having percieved noise on some pictures. I just can't figure it out and can't afford to keep spending all this money when I get frustrated. I have no local photogs I would be comfortable calling for help. Any suggestions here?

I looked through nikonians but coudn't find d3 custom settings spreadsheet like they had for the D300. HELPPPP:help
Snady :thumb
my money well spent :D
Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited December 28, 2008
    Sandy,

First of all, don't trust your monitor to determine random noise. I don't exactly understand why, but a lot of people seem to see random noise on the monitor, especially if it's an LCD monitor. Some software seems to compound the problem.

Do sample prints to determine the effects of noise. You can crop out a section at 100% and print that crop to see if there is true noise or not. If it doesn't show in the print then it is not a true problem, just a "perceived" problem.

I have a hard time believing that either the D300 or the D3 is that noisy at ISO 200, unless you are terribly underexposed and having to push the exposure in software.

For lenses, yes, you would do nicely to purchase a Nikkor 24-70mm, f/2.8G AF-S ED as a standard zoom for the D3. That is the additional cost of having 2 different format cameras.

BTW, your 50mm, f1.8 will also work fine on the D3.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2008
    A really nice sub for the Nikkor 24-70 is the Sigma 24-70 also a F2.8 for a lot less.....Ihave never heard any bad noise about the Siggy and I have owned it for over 4yrs and constantly use it on my Konica Minolta 7D........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    i'll try to simplify my answers into layman's terms.

DX and FX (aka: FF or full frame) sensors differ in size. if you can visualize looking through your eyepiece and seeing that greyed out section when you attach your 17-55mm lens? basically that area is the area in which your sensor is useless. putting on DX lens on an FX body is like throwing resolution out the window. how much?
    FX resolution: 4,256 x 2,832
    DX resolution: 2,784 x 1,848

there's no real reason to shoot DX lenses on an FX body; unless you're a newspaper shooter and you need the speed. you're getting that "zoom" perception because DX has a crop factor of 1.5. that equates to your perceived focal length changing by that aspect. so in this case, your 17mm lens shoots like a 25mm lens. this also happened on your D300 but since it has a DX sensor, you probably got acustomed to it right out of the box. you're thinking the images are getting pixelated because you're trying to zoom into an image that lacks the resolution you're looking for.

and why on earth were you shooting f/3.5 @ 1/125 outdoors on a sunny day and with a fong diffuser? either the day wasn't very sunny, you're shooting a macro shot in a shaded area, or you don't know what you're doing.

the D3 is an awesome camera; i have two of them. i've also shot over 40 weddings with one of them this year and know how it performs fairly well. there should be hardly any noise @ ISO200. now there are a couple of exceptions to this, however in normal usage, well lit images at ISO200 should be really clean. if you're consistently shooting at f/3.5 however, this would explain why your images appear to be out of focus or rather, not as sharp.

here are my suggestions:

shoot with only FF lenses such as the 70-200mm and 50mm that you have on the D3. take a class or seminar that would help you to better grasp the some more advanced concepts in photography and/or nikon equipment. i know one of the former nikon workshop instructors and they're really well suited for this. read the manual for the D3 from cover to cover and lookup all of the nomenclature that you don't know the definition of. play with the D3 at each step of the way so that you can see what does what. once you're done, do it again.

if you need to shoot at a low ISO for less noisy images at all times, plan on using DX lenses on the D3, or don't plan on getting further formalized instruction in photography, then return the D3. in all honesty, it's probably not the camera that best suits you. it's a feature-laden camera but so is your D300; however i don't think that you'll benefit from the differences. full frame vs. cropped for one and the D3 shines at higher ISO you know what you're looking at. i'm not trying to be mean, but it's like getting an exotic sports car and not knowing how to drive stick. you got it because you could, now you have to learn to use it.
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    What a rash purchase. You bought a D3 because you didn't like the photos produced by your D300?

I wish you had posted some of those photos for us to look at so we could try to make some sense of what the problem was. You have a collection of DX glass which will not be very well suited to your new FX sensor. Your D300 is a great camera, and if used properly, should produce excellent photos with your present glass.

I can understand the allure of an FX camera. It just seems that you are making the jump without a good reason. Why the D3 over the D700? Just because it is the "best"?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited December 29, 2008
    Folks, Sandy has some great equipment. Let's concentrate on helping her use it to the best. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Thanks for the replies so far. I was in a jam when it came to my purchase. I was frustrated with the D300 or I thought I was. I had posted some pictures of the problem I had the first time and everybody pretty much thought I was seeing something that wasn't there. After this happened at my son's wedding ( of all places) and there was another opportunity to take more photo's of the bride and groom I decided to do the D3. I did some research about the differences of the D3 and D700 and decided to go with the D3 for a few reasons.... one the full frame, two the extra card slot, 3 the noise issue, 4 the speed ( I do some sports and lots of candids of children on the go) plus as a professional, I wanted to have professional equiptment. Doesn't that make sense?

I didn't intially know about the dx glass. I will continue to use that as backup on my D300 which I will be keeping for times I want more lightweight and for my "helper" at weddings. I will use the D3 for everyday studio use.

I really just want to learn. I take some excellent pictures, my clients are happy, but I am not. I know I need to improve in many areas but I don't have many resources where I am though yesterday I did contact another photog for advice of where to learn. I have been to and will go to more seminars but for now I thought I could find some help here from all of you.

Dangin.....as far as the 3.5/125 outside it was a cloudy day out by the water. I didn't have time to meter as I was the mother of the groom and not the paid photog. The histogram was showing what I liked and the pictures were pretty well exposed but just having some grainyness to them which I hate. If you want to see some of them after pp they are on my site... www.wingsoflovephoto.com gallery is David&Jessica and the password is gia.

Thanks ziggy for your support. I really just need some direction of how to use what I have. Though I will be getting some non dx glass and just wondered which direction to take.
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
    edited December 29, 2008
    Sandy,
    I'd really like to view those photos and take a look at what you are seeing as an issue with noise.
    Unfortunately, your gallery is password protected and the hint "doggy" doesn't really help me gain access.

Nice work in the rest of your site. You've taken some great portraits.
    edited December 29, 2008
    I did some research about the differences of the D3 and D700 and decided to go with the D3 for a few reasons.... one the full frame, two the extra card slot, 3 the noise issue, 4 the speed ( I do some sports and lots of candids of children on the go) plus as a professional, I wanted to have professional equiptment. Doesn't that make sense?

Sandy,
    Just to clarify things. The D700 is also a FX (full frame camera). It has the same sensor and focus scheme as the D3. The D700 is professional equipment. The only difference is the fps speed with the D3 having an edge. This would be an issue for sports, but you might prefer the extra reach of your D300 (DX sensor) for sports.

You may want to consider returning your D3 for a D700 and buying a Nikkor 24-70mm, f2.8 lens with the difference. I love that lens!! It would be great for your type of portraiture.

Just something to consider.
    edited December 29, 2008
    Thank you Mitchell, I will definately think about it, it has been in the back of my mind to do so. The password for that gallery is gia
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Sandy,

It really sounds more like a lens issue vs camera issue. I shoot at ISO 6400 quite a bit with the D3 and there is very little noise.
    There are multiple things that change with using DX glass on a FF camera. First you are limiting your sensor that you paid so much for. You are also losing loads of megapixels.
    As Ziggy stated, you should try printing and see if the issue is really on the camera or if it is on the screen.

Before giving up on the D3, try renting some good glass.
    Steve

Website
  • LiquidityLiquidity Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Sandy,

A few more things to consider. If you decide on going the FX route, you may want to consider the AF-D 35-70 2.8 or the AF-S 28-70 2.8 lenses instead of the AF-S 24-70 2.8. Both are older lens. If you can get a decent clean copy used you can save some $$$.

The bad thing about the AF-D 35-70 2.8 is that it does not have the silent wave motor and it is the old push-pull design. That could be a turn off. The good thing it is fast glass and it comes relatively cheap.

The AF-S 28-70 2.8 has the silent wave motor and is heavy. A good used clean copy of this lens will be cheaper than a new AF-S 24-70 2.8.

Good luck.
    Wil
  • kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Sounds like all the technical issues have been addressed/answered already but I'll say this...if you can afford to keep the D3 and get the lenses you need (lenses for full frame), then I say definitely KEEP the D3. It's a wonderful camera and once you get used to it you'll be thrilled with it. The D700 (what I have) is nearly the same camera and I couldn't be happier with mine! The low noise at high ISO is still amazing to me. Sooooo much better than the D200 I came from. Fortunately I didn't have much invested in the 'DX' lenses so I didn't have to unload many of those.
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    If I may make a few observations:

The "originals" in your SmugMug gallery clearly aren't the original size for a D3 file. You appear to have post-processed them (Photoshop? Please let us know) and saved them as small files. I don't see any reason why you wouldn't upload the full-res JPEGs to SmugMug.

There is some pretty serious sharpening being done to these photos without it looking like you've acheived perfect focus in some cases. The thing is, you may have good focus, but the resolution change makes it hard to determine that for the viewer.

I'm not seeing "grain" or "noise" for the most part, but you're not providing the full-size files for inspection. Also, for this gallery, I would turn on "Camera Info" so we can see the EXIF.

Photo #77 (the interior with the guy holding up a flash it looks like) is noisy compared to the others, but in real terms, it shouldn't amount to anything in the prints. Again, if we could only see the EXIF...

A lot of your flash shots have the subject overexposed, but you could probably solve most of it in RAW processing.

#80 (Bald man and woman wearing eye shadow) is probably the most serious example of damage due to post-processing. It looks like it's been de-noised, removing all texture, then sharpened, both with an iron fist.

My feeling is you have decent "negatives" that need to be re-evaluated in your pp'ing. You need to let us know if you shot JPEG (and what size) or RAW. If I could download and evaluate a few of the files that came out of the camera, it would help immensely. Shooting RAW in this case could save a lot of what I'm seeing.
    edited December 29, 2008
    Based on where people are looking in those poses (away from your camera in many cases), I'm assuming there was another photographer there people were posing for? If so, were you both firing flash at the same time? I'm also trying to figure out the exposures because many of them look pretty 'hot' to me (near or actual overexposure). The D3 and D700 are known to be biased towards exposing to the 'right' though (from my experience with the D700 and hearing other people's comments as well). That's pretty easy to overcome though. I was just wondering if there was another source of light having an impact on your photos - like someone else's flash for example.
    edited December 29, 2008
    Pindy wrote:
    If I may make a few observations:

The "originals" in your SmugMug gallery clearly aren't the original size for a D3 file. You appear to have post-processed them (Photoshop? Please let us know) and saved them as small files. I don't see any reason why you wouldn't upload the full-res JPEGs to SmugMug.

There is some pretty serious sharpening being done to these photos without it looking like you've acheived perfect focus in some cases. The thing is, you may have good focus, but the resolution change makes it hard to determine that for the viewer.

I'm not seeing "grain" or "noise" for the most part, but you're not providing the full-size files for inspection. Also, for this gallery, I would turn on "Camera Info" so we can see the EXIF.

Photo #77 (the interior with the guy holding up a flash it looks like) is noisy compared to the others, but in real terms, it shouldn't amount to anything in the prints. Again, if we could only see the EXIF...

A lot of your flash shots have the subject overexposed, but you could probably solve most of it in RAW processing.

#80 (Bald man and woman wearing eye shadow) is probably the most serious example of damage due to post-processing. It looks like it's been de-noised, removing all texture, then sharpened, both with an iron fist.

My feeling is you have decent "negatives" that need to be re-evaluated in your pp'ing. You need to let us know if you shot JPEG (and what size) or RAW. If I could download and evaluate a few of the files that came out of the camera, it would help immensely. Shooting RAW in this case could save a lot of what I'm seeing.

The pictures in that gallery where shot in jpeg for the outside shots. I never shoot this way but somebody had been playing with my settings. Not sure who or where.....and I didn't notice it until I had done alot of shots. If you had been at this wedding you would understand...anything that could go wrong did, so I was quite preoccupied. These were taken with my D300 and not a D3. Some were in Raw and I will change to allow camera data. All are pp'd due to my frustration and were cropped down to 10x14 or 5x7 but the originals are the same. unclear and pixellated. I will try to upload a few of the actual originals. I appreciate you all taking the time to look. It is too late to go back now and I am really sad that they aren't perfect as I would like them to be but I did blow one up to 11x14 and print at home on my wide format printer and it wasn't too bad. There was another photographer there...one they paid big money for so I was just taking shots for myself. She wasn't shooting with flash most of the time outside and the guy holding the light was her assistant. I really was just trying to stay out of the way. I will be redoing the pp on many. I was in a hurry for them to get up for review but would never print one like the overprocessed one you mentioned. It was all in haste.....I have to take the time to look clearly. Thanks again......
    edited December 29, 2008
    kygarden wrote:
    Based on where people are looking in those poses (away from your camera in many cases), I'm assuming there was another photographer there people were posing for? If so, were you both firing flash at the same time? I'm also trying to figure out the exposures because many of them look pretty 'hot' to me (near or actual overexposure). The D3 and D700 are known to be biased towards exposing to the 'right' though (from my experience with the D700 and hearing other people's comments as well). That's pretty easy to overcome though. I was just wondering if there was another source of light having an impact on your photos - like someone else's flash for example.

I was using the D300 for these pictures. I tend to light brighter pictures for some reason and almost always expose to the right but usually not to the point of clipping. I don't think other people's flash were causing issues. It truly is my own fault. I wasn't paying attention to detail enough as I had other duties....I had to be the mom, not the photog :D
    edited December 29, 2008
    I was using the D300 for these pictures. I tend to light brighter pictures for some reason and almost always expose to the right but usually not to the point of clipping. I don't think other people's flash were causing issues. It truly is my own fault. I wasn't paying attention to detail enough as I had other duties....I had to be the mom, not the photog :D

Oh ok. Well in that case, I think you did good considering all the rest that was going on. It may have been hectic, but it sure looked like a fun event. Yeah I know...fun for those that only had to worry about sitting quietly for awhile then eating, drinking, dancing, etc. mwink.gif
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Sandy,
    I spent some time viewing the section you linked with others, and it really appears to be more of a photoshop problem than with the equipment. You have great DOF, and vivid colors. There is some oversharpening and some highlights blown, but these don't appear to be camera issues.
    You have other galleries that are spot on.
    Steve

Website
    edited December 29, 2008
    It truly is my own fault. I wasn't paying attention to detail enough as I had other duties....I had to be the mom, not the photog :D

Having to just be the mother is enough—don't be too hard on yourself! Your children galleries, of course, are all sharp images with good lighting so I can understand your frustration. If you get a moment, upload the originals for a few of your least (and most) favourites and we can have a go.
  • cabinetbuffcabinetbuff Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Hey all I just went out and bought a D3 as a Merry Christmas to me! present.

Do I now have to go out and drop another 1500.00 for a 24-70 lens?
    Keep the D3 -- it's an awesome camera. And you don't have to drop 1500 on a decent FX lens if you are willing to go prime. Nikon 35mm f/2.0 D-AF LENS (NI352DAF) is sharp, contrasty and built like a tank and it's only $299.95 (B&H). Here are some samples:

Nikon 35mm f/2.0 D-AF LENS - NI352DAF on Nikon D3

HTH!
    edited December 30, 2008
    Pindy wrote:
    Having to just be the mother is enough—don't be too hard on yourself! Your children galleries, of course, are all sharp images with good lighting so I can understand your frustration. If you get a moment, upload the originals for a few of your least (and most) favourites and we can have a go.

here is an original was shot in raw and just converted to jpeg for uploading. nothing done to it. and yes i know, the composition sucks but it is the best one to show what i am seeing as noise. especially noticeable in the mother of the brides eyes. Let me know what you think please :Dne_nau.gif
    445427731_cGqat-X3.jpg
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    headscratch.gif Do you have magnified eyes? Or maybe it is my monitor, but I am not really seeing a whole lot of noise in her eyes. Maybe crop closer towards the eyes might help showcase your troubles?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
    edited December 30, 2008
    maybe you could zoom in from your computer.? I don't want to loose the actual resolution by cropping. But thanks for looking! I am leaning towards a lens issue at this point because after reviewing some Christmas pictures taken with the D300 and some other wedding shots with the D3 i am encountering some of the same problems. Not all the time but often enough for frustration. Something with the autofocus of the 17-55 is my guess. Hoping to head to B&H today and check up on the 24-70 for the full frame then get out there for some test shots.
    edited December 30, 2008
    I would wager that no D300 RAW comes out at 1600x1063. There's no resolution to zoom in to! Perhaps you're inadvertantly down-res'ing somewhere in your PP chain? A RAW file I have in my Lightroom library from a D200 is 3872x2592. I wouldn't be so quick to blame your lenses. Again, can't comment on the "noise" issue until we see the FULL file.

This is a 100% crop from what you posted. It's the same size as the original:

445510141_u4Sj4-O.jpg

Anybody have any ideas? I have an iDisk you could drop the RAW inside. A JPEG conversion isn't as useful if you're trying to sort this problem because it adds a layer of doubt.
    edited December 30, 2008
    The obvious resolution issues aside, do you calibrate your monitor? I'm surprised nobody has asked this yet.
    edited December 30, 2008
    Here it is—the X3 was displayed, not the O(riginal). THe EXIF is intact in the Original size. Sandy, I never doubted you for a second thumb.gif

445427731_cGqat-O.jpg
    edited December 30, 2008
    First of all, I don't see any noise in your photo. I am viewing it on both an Apple Cinema Display 23" and a Dell 24" both calibrated with the X-Rite eye-one display LT. What I am seeing is a little bit of softness especially from the eyes back to their hair. The focus appears to be okay, possibly centered on her fingernails, which would put it a hair in front of the eyes. Either way, it's a trifle. But as they say, If you're unhappy with your photo, get closer.

At first, I thought the softness was the effect of the ambient exposure meeting the flash exposure, and the blur that can sometime result, but I see it was 1/250s so that's not likely. I'm going with "the 17-55 is a little soft wide open" with the proviso that I will revise my opinion easily, cowtowing to experience or another 17-55 nikkor owner disproving my statement about f/2.8. I did a minor lightroom adjustment (to the JPEG mind you) just for kicks—I'm meddlesome by nature.

Original Size HERE

445558593_RmP2F-XL.jpg

Temp +5
    Exposure +0.29
    Recovery 8
    Brightness -5
    Clarity -4
    Vibrance +6
    In the Tone Curve: Linear, Lights +4, Darks -11
    Sharpening Amount 20, Masking 79
    A wee bit of post-crop vignetting to bring them out from the BG.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    All are pp'd due to my frustration and were cropped down to 10x14 or 5x7 but the originals are the same. unclear and pixellated. I will try to upload a few of the actual originals....

When you crop do you first downsize the dpi in photoshop (or what ever processor you use)??

The way I was taught to do it:

Get all processing out of the way....then open the image tab.....clik image size....making usre that the only box ticked is constrain proportion......change the dpi tp approx 300 for 8x10 resolution.........a lot of times taht will show how near 8x10 quality your original actuall is.....my 6mp KM 7D is a little less than 300dpi to get as near an 8x10 as I can get......my KM A2 (8mp) is almost dead on at 300dpi for 8x10 quality.....

once I get the dpi changes from camera 72 to a working 300 dpi or so...then I crop...but always at least at 300dpi.....that way if for some reason I am not going to use my uprezing software (GF5) I will know how large I should be able to go..........

If you crop on the native 72dpi you are cropping on a 40-60+ inch wide photo...crop to an 8x10 and you've got a great deal of noise and no noise reduction software will fix it properly.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited December 30, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    If you crop on the native 72dpi you are cropping on a 40-60+ inch wide photo...crop to an 8x10 and you've got a great deal of noise and no noise reduction software will fix it properly.......

Art, I agree with your method of maintaining print resolution but if you crop any 72dpi image you intend to print to 8x10 inches, you're not seeing noise, you're seeing a lack of resolution for printing, but adequate for the screen with proper sharpening. Since we found the original size of the image, I don't think Sandy has a resolution issue anymore. Do you see any noise in the full-res pic? I have to say I don't.

Furthermore, I don't think it matters when you crop, so long as you end up with enough resolution for printing, if that's your goal. If you crop a 72dpi image to your liking, it simply becomes a smaller, albeit still huge, image (40-in x 60-in becomes, say, 32-in x 21.333-in). I'm not sure how that makes it noisier.
    edited December 30, 2008
    Thanks for all the help so far. All of your edits look great! What it really comes down to is my critical eye and lack of real knowlege of how it all works. I read books and go to seminars and still don't grasp alot of the science parts of it. My talents strictly lie in the creative. So I trial and error and in this case I err'd. I think my settings were not right on and I might have been less than steady in high heels on a dock with cracks in it in and a designer gown and 90% humidity. All that said...no excuses....I definately have been having focus issues. I went to B&H today and bought a 28-70 2.8. What a speedy focuser! I will be taking it out in the snow tomorrow to do some model shots and we will see. I am going to rely on the D3's greatness and get my flash off camera and hope that I can redeem myself mwink.gif I still wish I could be more concrete about what happened with that particular day so that it doesn't happen again, so if you have more ideas, please share.

As far as my cropping methods.... I do minor adjustments in CS3 raw, then I do the rest in CS3 then I crop using the crop tool at 10x14 and 300dpi. Many of my customers order only as large as 5x7, this way when I import them into Roes for printing at WHCC the crop is the same and the resolution should remain high. I have never had a problem with print quailty doing it this way. Of course if I am planning on printing 4x6's at home I just crop that way. I always save the edited version in jpeg and keep the raw intact as it came out of the camera. Does this make any sense?headscratch.gif