Any D3 users out there willing to help a newbie?

2»

Comments

• WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Pindy wrote:
    The obvious resolution issues aside, do you calibrate your monitor? I'm surprised nobody has asked this yet.

Sorry forgot this question. yes I calibrate, I have an xrite I-1 It is mainly calibrated for my printing at WHCC and I work on a 20" Mac display.
    Oh and thank you for commenting on my children galleries. This is really why I am sooo frustrated because they are so super sharp!!!
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Thanks for all the help so far.

Well, you now have a beautiful camera that you don't have to make excuses for—it's down to you. I'm sure a tool like that takes practice. Keep 'em coming.
  • NikonadamusNikonadamus Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited December 31, 2008
    Hey all I just went out and bought a D3 as a Merry Christmas to me! present. I made this decision kind of hastily as I was frustrated with my D300 so I really don't know ....other than it is top of the line... why I made the choice. Now I find that I have only one lens (the 70-200) that works full frame on it. And just about 6 weeks ago I purchased a 17-55 which I was using for most of my indoor portraiture, and now I find myself not understanding the concept of a dx lens on a FF sensor. Can anyone explain?
    I see that there is a crop box in the viewfinder. Does that mean that I should just shoot for that area and plan on post cropping to it?

Why does the zoom feel so far away? I can't seem to guage that so now when I crop in tight in PS there seems to be some pixellation.

Do I now have to go out and drop another 1500.00 for a 24-70 lens?

All of this started because I was taking shots at my son's wedding that were sub par with the d300. There seemed to be noise at 200iso and people were not as crystal clear as I am used to. This had happened only once before and I have no idea why. Otherwise my portraits are beautifully clear. I was shooting outside on like 3.5/125 on a cloudy day though there was some backlighting and was using a Gary Fong diffuser as I was the first time. But then it continued indoors.

So now the D3 and still the same problem. still having percieved noise on some pictures. I just can't figure it out and can't afford to keep spending all this money when I get frustrated. I have no local photogs I would be comfortable calling for help. Any suggestions here?

I looked through nikonians but coudn't find d3 custom settings spreadsheet like they had for the D300. HELPPPP:help

Hey there,

You sound exactly like me. I have been somewhat frustrated with some of the stuff I've shot with my D300s (I bought two in April instead of blowing my load on a D3).

As far as the cropping, unless you want to shell out more money for FX lens, I'd get used to working with the crop lines. I too have the 70-200 and 17-55 and that was another reason for me not jumping into the D3.

I checked out a few galleries on your site and your studio stuff is nice and clean. Noise is unavoidable and many location shoots like weddings and what not.

I too have noticed that stuff isn't as crystal clear as I think it should be. I consider myself to be pretty steady but handholding at 125 can produce some shake which, as you know, is magnified with the 70-200.

I'm afraid all I can offer is encouragement to keep shooting :D
  • LiquidityLiquidity Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    The pictures in that gallery where shot in jpeg for the outside shots. I never shoot this way but somebody had been playing with my settings. Not sure who or where.....and I didn't notice it until I had done alot of shots. If you had been at this wedding you would understand...anything that could go wrong did, so I was quite preoccupied. These were taken with my D300 and not a D3. Some were in Raw and I will change to allow camera data. All are pp'd due to my frustration and were cropped down to 10x14 or 5x7 but the originals are the same. unclear and pixellated. I will try to upload a few of the actual originals. I appreciate you all taking the time to look. It is too late to go back now and I am really sad that they aren't perfect as I would like them to be but I did blow one up to 11x14 and print at home on my wide format printer and it wasn't too bad. There was another photographer there...one they paid big money for so I was just taking shots for myself. She wasn't shooting with flash most of the time outside and the guy holding the light was her assistant. I really was just trying to stay out of the way. I will be redoing the pp on many. I was in a hurry for them to get up for review but would never print one like the overprocessed one you mentioned. It was all in haste.....I have to take the time to look clearly. Thanks again......

Sandy,

Just one more thought. You said that you were taking JPEGs because somebody changed the setting on your camera. Maybe the JPEG setting was not set to "fine" but at a worse setting???
    Wil
  • hiroProtagonisthiroProtagonist Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    I just read through this thread, and to be honest I think some of the advice may be going in the wrong direction. I do not mean to cause offense and if I come off that way I'll apologize here and now. I tend to be a bit direct sometimes a little to so.

Sandy, by your own admission ," What it really comes down to is my critical eye and lack of real knowlege of how it all works. I read books and go to seminars and still don't grasp alot of the science parts of it. My talents strictly lie in the creative." , and "I am going to rely on the D3's greatness..."

My fear here is that the assumption is being made "A better camera will make me a better photographer", nothing could be further from the truth. If your struggling with the technical aspects of the equipment, and it sounds like you are, then using the higher end Nikons, the D300, D700, or the D3, is the equivalent of jumping in the deep end of the pool. These cameras offer a great deal of flexibility and performance compared to the more consumer oriented bodies but at a price, namely much of the technical choices are pushed back on the photographer.

You purchase the D3 as I understand it because the D300 was too noisy at ISO200. Nikons entire range of cameras from the D40 on up should not be exhibiting any noticeable noise below ISO800. It's been recommended that you keep the D3. I'm going to suggest going the other way, sell the D3, buy a D60 or even a D90, and spend the savings on finding a means of learning the technical aspects of the game. Books and seminars do not work for every one. Hands on, one on one instruction may be the key to your problems.

Take heart though, you already have the creative part down so the moment the tech part clicks your well ahead of the game. I come from the other side of the fence, the tech stuff comes very easy to me, I drink the tech stuff down like water. It's the creative side where I begin to choke, so in a sense my problem is not so much one of how to take the picture as it is of seeing the picture in the first place.

I hope I have not offended you or anyone else, just don't make the mistake of thinking that higher end equipment in and of itself will make you a better photographer.
    "But you and I, we’ve been through that, and this is not our fate. - Dylan 1968"
    edited January 1, 2009
    I just read through this thread, and to be honest I think some of the advice may be going in the wrong direction. I do not mean to cause offense and if I come off that way I'll apologize here and now. I tend to be a bit direct sometimes a little to so.

Sandy, by your own admission ," What it really comes down to is my critical eye and lack of real knowlege of how it all works. I read books and go to seminars and still don't grasp alot of the science parts of it. My talents strictly lie in the creative." , and "I am going to rely on the D3's greatness..."

My fear here is that the assumption is being made "A better camera will make me a better photographer", nothing could be further from the truth. If your struggling with the technical aspects of the equipment, and it sounds like you are, then using the higher end Nikons, the D300, D700, or the D3, is the equivalent of jumping in the deep end of the pool. These cameras offer a great deal of flexibility and performance compared to the more consumer oriented bodies but at a price, namely much of the technical choices are pushed back on the photographer.

You purchase the D3 as I understand it because the D300 was too noisy at ISO200. Nikons entire range of cameras from the D40 on up should not be exhibiting any noticeable noise below ISO800. It's been recommended that you keep the D3. I'm going to suggest going the other way, sell the D3, buy a D60 or even a D90, and spend the savings on finding a means of learning the technical aspects of the game. Books and seminars do not work for every one. Hands on, one on one instruction may be the key to your problems.

Take heart though, you already have the creative part down so the moment the tech part clicks your well ahead of the game. I come from the other side of the fence, the tech stuff comes very easy to me, I drink the tech stuff down like water. It's the creative side where I begin to choke, so in a sense my problem is not so much one of how to take the picture as it is of seeing the picture in the first place.

I hope I have not offended you or anyone else, just don't make the mistake of thinking that higher end equipment in and of itself will make you a better photographer.

So I spent all night thinking about what you have written here and decided you are right....you have offended me being as direct as you are. If you had really read into things you would have seen that I started out with a D70 many years ago and have upgraded one by one and with no big jump to the D3. When I say that I struggle with the science, doesn't mean I don't know each camera and how to work it well. By technical aspects I mean lighting, aperature and shutter speeds in different conditions (mostly conditions that I haven't ever encountered before) and this has nothing to do with the camera itself. If you had taken time to look though some of my galleries you would see that most of the time I know what I am doing, and I make a pretty good 2nd living at it. In this thread I was simply asking for some advice on things with the D3 I might not know about and why maybe my wedding pictures didn't come out as well as I am accustomed to. I don't think that the higher end equipment will make me a better photographer, I just think that with the right tools that one's picture quality may be more superior to that of someone that has a lower quality tool. I hope to meld the creative and the picture quality all together for my clients. As it is I improve everyday. Just so you know.... I believe everyone has a right to speak their mind, and I don't hold grudges so I wish for you a prosperous New Year.......
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    I have been reading this thread with some interest. I think the last response should have been one of the first ones in regards to the level of your photographic skill. The way this thread originally started, it did sound like you bought the D3 on the spur of moment with the hopes it would improve IQ. Maybe it's a case of the message not coming across in this message board format, but the questions you asked in your original post came across as impulsive and not from an even accomplished hobby photographer.

Responders can only go by what you post and many including myself got the impression you really didn't know what you were doing and hoped the D3 would compensate. That is why you got the responses you did. I hope things work out for you.
    edited January 1, 2009
    jonh68 wrote:
    I have been reading this thread with some interest. I think the last response should have been one of the first ones in regards to the level of your photographic skill. The way this thread originally started, it did sound like you bought the D3 on the spur of moment with the hopes it would improve IQ. Maybe it's a case of the message not coming across in this message board format, but the questions you asked in your original post came across as impulsive and not from an even accomplished hobby photographer.

Responders can only go by what you post and many including myself got the impression you really didn't know what you were doing and hoped the D3 would compensate. That is why you got the responses you did. I hope things work out for you.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. The not even accomplished hobby photographer?....yea ok....how much did you make this year? I'm done here......
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited January 1, 2009
    Once again, I'll ask everyone to remain focused on the task; to help Sandy and other Nikon D3 camera users get the most of their cameras.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited January 1, 2009
    Any further posts not relating to the issue of D3 image improvement will be deleted.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    Hey Sandy, have you made any significant progress with the D3 since you started this thread?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
    edited January 11, 2009
    Hey Sandy, have you made any significant progress with the D3 since you started this thread?

Thanks for asking. It is working great since I bought the 24-70 2.8. Loving all of it. A learning curve with the full frame but the clarity is unmatched. Here is a link to some of the photo's I took with it in my studio.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=116843