My daughter's Bat Mitzvah reshoot

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited January 1, 2009 in People
My wife and daughter were very unhappy with the formal portraits taken by our pro photographer at her Bat Mitzvah two months ago.

Today we got dressed up and I had the pleasure of taking some of my own shots.

443749720_MEFXf-L.jpg

443749326_Tm4dy-L.jpg

443750231_Xm7A7-L.jpg

443750189_wSNxQ-L.jpg

443750468_ptixs-L.jpg

443751023_PzM2u-L.jpg

443750721_HAWxk-L.jpg
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Comments

• MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Just an interesting note about that torah she is holding.

That scroll was rescued from Poland during WWII. An entire village had all of it's Jews killed except for one young girl. She was hidden by the town's mayor along with the Torah scroll. The girl was eventually secretly sent to live out the war in England. The Torah scroll was recovered decades later. That little girl is now a member of my temple. She donated the scroll to our congregation. Wonderful that my daughter now reads from that Torah. What a story!!
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Wow! That is a cool story...I was about to ask about that Torah when I scrolled down and saw your tid-bit! great History! And what very very nice photos you did! Handsome family, all superb...but that Torah photo (Side view), with her reading it is just over the top in lighting and pose~

cheers, tom
    tom wise
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Mitchell wrote:
    Just an interesting note about that torah she is holding.

That scroll was rescued from Poland during WWII. An entire village had all of it's Jews killed except for one young girl. She was hidden by the town's mayor along with the Torah scroll. The girl was eventually secretly sent to live out the war in England. The Torah scroll was recovered decades later. That little girl is now a member of my temple. She donated the scroll to our congregation. Wonderful that my daughter now reads from that Torah. What a story!!
    That is some very great history - it brings the whole story to life.

I have to agree with angevin1 about the light in #4 - that is just way over the top.
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Great photos, and the story of the Torah is very moving!

ann
    edited December 29, 2008
    That is some very great history - it brings the whole story to life.

I have to agree with angevin1 about the light in #4 - that is just way over the top.

Thanks, Scott. Glad to cause a little religious thought provoking.

#4 was a lucky shot. I can't believe how the light has captured the detail and texture in the inscription in the parchment of that torah scroll. I fired the light into a shoot through umbrella 90 degrees from the camera. I really didn't think I'd be able to capture as much fine detail as I did.

That shot will be going into a special frame that was handmade for my daughter as a gift.
    edited December 29, 2008
    She's also holding a Yad in those torah photos. That is a ritual pointer used for reading the torah. That beautiful Yad was a gift from good friends of ours from Israel. It really is gorgeous!
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    thumb.gif Great job Mitchell!!

I agree that #4 is incredibly well done, and I also like #1 as well. Being the history buff that I am I can certainly appreciate the story of the scroll and child. What a treasure!

For the sake of critique...

Watch their feet. On full length shots, placing the back foot somewhat perpendicular to the camera while pointing the toe of the front foot toward the camera would be an area to improve those shots that contain feet. FWIW, your wife may be too set in her ways for that to become a natural for her(mine is!), but after hundreds of requests to my daughters each time we do a full-length photo they now orient their feet correctly without prompting. I even notice this when they pose for photos for other people. It cracks me up!:D

Also, did you honestly believe that any "pro" could capture her better than good old Dad? No way!thumb.gif
  • happysmileyladyhappysmileylady Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    I really like both four and five. Very nice.
    jeffreaux2 wrote:

Watch their feet. On full length shots, placing the back foot somewhat perpendicular to the camera while pointing the toe of the front foot toward the camera would be an area to improve those shots that contain feet. FWIW, your wife may be too set in her ways for that to become a natural for her(mine is!), but after hundreds of requests to my daughters each time we do a full-length photo they now orient their feet correctly without prompting. I even notice this when they pose for photos for other people. It cracks me up!:D
    Thanks for sharing this suggestion. Not something that I have ever considered before but I can totally see how that would work!
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Mitchell wrote:

443750189_wSNxQ-L.jpg

bowdown.gifbowdown.gif

Super, Mitch. Best I've seen from you! Awesome story.
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gif

Very special - especially with that cherished yad and Torah. Nice that your Rabbi allows images of the Torah. When I did the Bat Mitzvah last year although not orthodox, would not allow any photography during the time the Torah was open. Even before the service during the practice run.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Fabulous Mitchell. Yep, #4 absolutely ROCKS! Wonderful job!
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Very nice
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
    edited December 30, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    thumb.gif Great job Mitchell!!

I agree that #4 is incredibly well done, and I also like #1 as well. Being the history buff that I am I can certainly appreciate the story of the scroll and child. What a treasure!

For the sake of critique...

Also, did you honestly believe that any "pro" could capture her better than good old Dad? No way!thumb.gif

Thanks, Jeff.

Attention to details like this can make a huge difference. Great point.

I had kinda hoped that the pro I hired and paid good money to would produce photos better than mine! Unrealistic?

In the end I realize that taking these photos the morning of her Bat Mitzvah was a lost cause. Things were too rushed and there was not enough attention to detail to produce high quality photos that day. In the future, I will shoot these portraits on another day (like I did). It's a hassle to get all dressed up for these, but I was able to take my time and make sure I got all the shots I wanted.

Lesson learned.
    edited December 30, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gif

Thanks, Andy. I really appreciate your kind words.

Lots of pressure taking these photos with the Rabbi and Cantor hovering over me!
    edited December 30, 2008
    Mitchell wrote:
    Thanks, Jeff.

I had kinda hoped that the pro I hired and paid good money to would produce photos better than mine! Unrealistic?

Well Mitchell...

You are certainly well rooted enough in photography that you have developed your own style....your own sense of what is good to your eye. That plus the fact that you are very good at executing that style...that you like....is bad news for the hired guy at the start.

...and if you are like me....and also spend time looking at fabulous work from other photographers for inspiration....then your expectations may be even farther heightened.

A deeper truth, though, may just be the relationship that you have with your daughter. She will let her guard down with you behind the camera....and relax a bit....but maybe not with a stranger. A father's love surely shows through the lens.

Thats tough competition for any pro...at any price.eek7.gif

...so...now that we have that all cleared up....what are we going to do for a photographer when our daughters get married?....rolleyes1.gif ....Im not ready for that just yet, but have given that particular detail some thought...with no real answers.
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Do it yourself, Jeff! :D

I will have to +10th the reading the Torah photo!

Now call me clueless, but when son's/daughter's read the Torah during the Bat Mizvah ceremony, do they know how to read all of the text?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
    edited December 30, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Well Mitchell...

You are certainly well rooted enough in photography that you have developed your own style....your own sense of what is good to your eye. That plus the fact that you are very good at executing that style...that you like....is bad news for the hired guy at the start.

...and if you are like me....and also spend time looking at fabulous work from other photographers for inspiration....then your expectations may be even farther heightened.

A deeper truth, though, may just be the relationship that you have with your daughter. She will let her guard down with you behind the camera....and relax a bit....but maybe not with a stranger. A father's love surely shows through the lens.

Thats tough competition for any pro...at any price.eek7.gif

...so...now that we have that all cleared up....what are we going to do for a photographer when our daughters get married?....rolleyes1.gif ....Im not ready for that just yet, but have given that particular detail some thought...with no real answers.

Great insight. You are correct on many levels. The comfort level between subject and photographer can really break down barriers and lead to much better photos. I think that's why good pros can really put their models at ease.

Hiring a photographer was a surpisingly tough job. This was a big event in our lives. I've seen this guy work other events. He is good. He did a good job at our reception (the party), but his portraits were poorly executed.

I made it a point to stay out of this guy's way. I never even told him that I dabble in photography.

As to your question about weddings, you can shoot my daughter's in 15-20 years. You'd be worth the effort to fly you in for the event.thumb.gif
    edited December 30, 2008

Now call me clueless, but when son's/daughter's read the Torah during the Bat Mizvah ceremony, do they know how to read all of the text?

Ted, the preparation for Torah reading for Bat Mitzvah is quite lengthy. My daughter has been learning to read hebrew in Sunday school for several years. About 6 months before her Bat Mitzvah, she was given her torah portion. Her's was about two paragraphs on the scroll. She was then tutored by our Cantor and Rabbi who reviewed the text and also taught her the trope (musical notes that go along with the torah portion). Quite a bit of effort, but a major accomplishment on that great day.

It really is wonderful to see you child read from the torah. Something Jews have done for so many generations. That torah scroll is particularly special.
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    These are really nice. Numbers 4 and 5 are my favorite. They show off her beauty and we can see her rich heritage.
    edited December 30, 2008
    Mitchell wrote:
    Great insight. You are correct on many levels. The comfort level between subject and photographer can really break down barriers and lead to much better photos. I think that's why good pros can really put their models at ease.

Hiring a photographer was a surpisingly tough job. This was a big event in our lives. I've seen this guy work other events. He is good. He did a good job at our reception (the party), but his portraits were poorly executed.

I made it a point to stay out of this guy's way. I never even told him that I dabble in photography.

As to your question about weddings, you can shoot my daughter's in 15-20 years. You'd be worth the effort to fly you in for the event.thumb.gif

Well it sounds as if your approach to finding, hiring, and staying out of his way was a good one. From my own experiences I can assure you he had a gazillion things on his mind...."did I format the card?", "whats my iso", "histogram check", "what time is it?", " Is my cell on silent?"...and on and on and on....

While you...on the other hand...were solely concerned with capturing THE BEST possible images of your loved one....and...THAT was your distraction (although a pleasant one) from everything else going on in the world that day.

Either way, water under the bridge.....as you have certainly gotten the job done...and with excellent results.

As for weddings....

My guess is that your time table is mighty conservative. Who knows whether my skills will be up to task by then(will I still have my eyesight?)...and maybe we will just be capturing weddings on video....hi-def...and pulling stills out for albums?headscratch.gif

...but I'd be flattered

I have thought about getting someone to shoot the ceremony...particularly the isle shots and formals while I do the rest myself. Thats CRAZY thinking there!rolleyes1.gif
    edited December 30, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    This is a question I've been struggling with for a couple of years now. My son is in his late 20's and has been focused on career etc, but I figure when he re-racks his priorities things are going to get interesting in a hurry. But, having thought about it ahead of time I now have a short list of photogs (all of them DGrinners, BTW).
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I have thought about getting someone to shoot the ceremony...particularly the isle shots and formals while I do the rest myself. Thats CRAZY thinking there!rolleyes1.gif
    One thing I know for sure - I'll not be working the camera. I MIGHT bring a P&S but I wouldn't count on it.
    edited December 30, 2008
    This is a question I've been struggling with for a couple of years now. My son is in his late 20's and has been focused on career etc, but I figure when he re-racks his priorities things are going to get interesting in a hurry. But, having thought about it ahead of time I now have a short list of photogs (all of them DGrinners, BTW).

One thing I know for sure - I'll not be working the camera. I MIGHT bring a P&S but I wouldn't count on it.

You're not kidding me Scott.....I am sure your P&S will be something on the order of.....

Canon G15....21 mp.....with an STE2 and radiopopper attatched.....a few well placed 580's......capturing in RAW....rolleyes1.gif

My plan....for now resembles yours.......having a Dgrinner down here for the weekend. There are many very capable and highly talented folks here.....lets just hope I can afford them when that day comes!:D
    edited December 30, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    You're not kidding me Scott.....I am sure your P&S will be something on the order of.....

Canon G15....21 mp.....with an STE2 and radiopopper attatched.....a few well placed 580's......capturing in RAW....rolleyes1.gif

My plan....for now resembles yours.......having a Dgrinner down here for the weekend. There are many very capable and highly talented folks here.....lets just hope I can afford them when that day comes!:D
    No, I'm quite serious - I don't plan to be carrying a camera at my son's wedding - reallydeal.gif

Hey, I know how we (between the two of us) can cut the cost of wedding photography in half - introduce your eldest daughter to my son.

He's 26, well mannered, has a very good job (1LT Army, currently deployed), very well educated, smart, and good looking.mwink.gif In case you missed it deal.gif I'm quite proud of the son my DW raised!
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Dgrin
    I am sure that when the time comes for your daughters/sons to marry that you can find a Dgrinner who is willing to travel and shoot for you and create images you will all treasure.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
    edited December 30, 2008
    I think we've....strayed....slightly from Mitchell's daughter's lovely photographs. We will have to discuss this at some other time...placemwink.gif

...but I agree...it is something worth thinking about.(Scotts offer asiderolleyes1.gif )
    edited December 30, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I think we've....strayed....slightly from Mitchell's daughter's lovely photographs. We will have to discuss this at some other time...placemwink.gif

...but I agree...it is something worth thinking about.(Scotts offer asiderolleyes1.gif )
    Agreed - It was a joke!! Or, at least it was an attempt as such.rolleyes1.gif
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    These are fabulous photographs, and I agree with everyone else on #4 bowdown.gif

I really enjoyed the story about the Torah.
  • jdfaithjdfaith Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Great job! If you hadn't mentioned that you recreated the day, I don't think anyone would have been able to tell. Everyone looks so in the moment. Wonderful.

John
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Nothing much I can do except echo the other comments - simply beautiful, with the reading shot being *outstanding* (followed only by the one with the stained glass window).

Really, truly lovely - as is the sentiment, sincerity and commitment that shines through all of them. Congratulations to your daughter and your family!
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    These are really stunning, Mitch! Thank you for sharing the history of the scroll. What special memories you have captured here. I am so impressed with the clarity and light you managed...just gorgeous, outstanding, personal images.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography