Light Sphere vs Studio Lighting on extremely low budget

Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
edited January 17, 2009 in Accessories
So, I'm starting my own little studio in my basement and I really dont have the money to get studio lighting. I've seen the videos on Gary Fong's website, and it looks like I could get by with just my flash and a light sphere.

So, now to my question. Is anyone else using a Light Sphere for studio work? If so, is that all you use? And also do you have the Clear Sphere or the Clouded one. I was going to get the Clear on because it looks like it would work better for me.

I just bought a new lens yesterday, so I dont have any money left. If I were to get studio lighting, it would be a cheap set, and I probably wouldn't like it very much. Like... under $300... and I wouldn't be able to get it for a couple months cause money is tight right now.

I just want to get some ideas on what I should be looking at getting and how much that would cost. Uses for the studio: Portrait sittings and still lifes. I need to get a backdrop before I even worry about lighting.. Darn canvas at $6 a yard... to most people thats nothing, to me thats really expensive cause I have no money right now.
Jer

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited January 3, 2009
    I have the cloud version and like it. If you are interested in studio work, the first thing you should do is get the flash off-camera. A radio trigger, light stand and umbrella will give you a good start. Check out Strobist for tons of information.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited January 3, 2009
    What Richard said.

A white shoot through umbrella will give the largest, softest light source for less money than a light sphere if you already have a light stand. And even with Fongs Sphere you will need some sort of stand, won't you?ne_nau.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited January 3, 2009
    Jeremy,

I moved this to Accessories since that's the more appropriate forum.

You're getting good information from Richard and Pathfinder. If you want studio type lighting you need to be able to move the light relative to the subject and camera. The larger the light source appears to be, relative to the subject, the softer the shadows. A large, diffused light source, like a shoot-through umbrella positioned close to the subject, produces very very pleasing quality for portraiture.

Our "SloYerRoll has a blog for lighting that is designed for all experience levels:

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=636109&postcount=1

We have lots of tutorials that relate to lighting:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=site%3Awww.dgrin.com+%2Btutorial+%2Blighting&btnG=Search
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    I'm just starting this journey myself, and believe me - getting the flash off camera is like a whole new world!

I actually made myself a softbox out of an old soda carton - took me about an hour (if that), and total cost was maybe $3. There's a thread about it here and here's one of the shots I took using it (first studio attempts with off camera flash). This was off-camera flash using the home made softbox and three sheets of white foamboard as strategically placed reflectors - that's it.

447895445_5VTvw-S.jpg
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    I know I need to get the flash off my camera, but I dont have the money for the wireless adapter. Its like $300 if i'm not mistaken. and if you watch the video of Gary Fong he gets the same effect of studio lighting with just his light sphere.. which is why I was thinking it could be a cheaper, temporary solution to not being able to afford studio lighting. since I have people that want me to take their portraits asap which is why I asked for input.

Which would you recomend Richard? the cloud or the clear? I liked what gary can do with the clear one, and I havent seen anything that was taken with the cloud. could you post some of your work that the cloud was used?

thanks everyone. I gotta go, I'm at work and its getting busy.
    Jer
    edited January 3, 2009
    I know I need to get the flash off my camera, but I dont have the money for the wireless adapter. Its like $300 if i'm not mistaken.

Actually, not necessarily. I'd been stalking the STE2 (Canon's infrared flash transmitter) both used and new for the last month or so and got SERIOUSLY lucky via Amazon last week - $165 brand new. I believe the price has gone back up now, but it seems to fluctuate a LOT, so if you're interested in that route, keep an eye open for one at all the online vendors to see if you can snag a similar deal at some point. They also seem to turn up on Fred Miranda if not often, not infrequently - anything from scratched up and hard used (although working) for about $120 to like-new for ~$180.

I'm totally sold on this little device (which was heartily recommended to me by several people in this forum including Jeffreaux2, cmason, pathfinder and a few others) - for my needs ie inside thus no sightlines issues it's perfect. Even if it's not possible just now, definitely worth considering it (or one of the other transmitter options) for the future.

Edited to add: can your 580ex take advantage of any of the less expensive radio transmittter options? I know a lot of people here use Pocket Wizards, but I believe there's another brand that's much cheaper which people recommend (I think under $50?) I'll let them comment specifically. The strobist blog also has loads of inexpensive and diy ideas for perusal.

Edited again to add: For a background I've been using an old white sheet (although you could use any colour) draped over an old clothing rack like the below picture - mine's an el cheapo from Target that was rotting in our basement, so I've repurposed it and it's actually not bad at all (plus since I'm not using the bottom crossbraces, it breaks down very fast and easily and takes up no space to store)

0230807_l.jpg

I've also seen sheets of white styrofoam used, and somebody else sugggested that pieces of drywall can work well for a neutral background too. If you do need material - particularly if you're considering painting it - sheets can be picked up dirt cheap at thrift stores...

I'm also on a SERIOUS budget, so I feel your pain. I could only add my recently acquired lens and ste2 because I sold some old gear, so I totally understand!
    edited January 3, 2009
    On a budget you can use simple auto/manual flashes with a Wein Peanut slave to get off-camera.

If you just want better light from a single on-camera flash, try both of these DIY approaches:

http://www.fototime.com/inv/908195739C4C0D3

http://abetterbouncecard.com/

Joe Demb also makes an interesting device for sale (reasonable):

http://www.dembflashproducts.com/flipit/

I own a FlipIt product and it works well and is very well made.

Some examples from my own use of the DIY "scoop" modifier:

143666541-L.jpg

116991254-D.jpg

233444706-L.jpg

The last image did have window light coming from behind the bride.

If you do get the flash off the camera, try this setup:

http://digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?t=92550
    ziggy53
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    I would not buy a lightsphere if you are on a budget. Particularly in the studio you can get better results cheaper with DIY solutions. Here's an exmple of a DIY project which will serve you better in the studio than the lightsphere. There are lots of great DIY projects for that class of modifier. If I was going to buy a small camera mount modifier, it would either be one of these or one of these.

Better, though, is to invest first in getting your strobe off camera--either wired or wireless. Add a stand, a cheap umbrella and a sheet of white foamcore as a reflector and you are good to go. The lightsphere and its bretheren are meant for shooting candids which is a very different set of techniques than studio work. If your goal is to develop as a studio shooter you'll learn a lot more working with a budget off camera rig than an on camera modifier.
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    I started with just the lightsphere, and I do like it. Having said that, you'll see a huge improvement if you can get your flash off camera. My camera has a commander mode, so I didn't need an adapter, but there are relatively inexpensive options. I get decent studio results with my one flash in a softliter umbrella with diffuser that cost about $80. I made a homemade reflector out of a box flattened and covered with foil, and I also use just a white foam board sometimes. It's just so great to be able to move the light source around. Here are some examples:

421892950_79MoH-M.jpg

421895716_32ic6-M.jpg

417694672_5ShFu-M.jpg
    edited January 5, 2009
    ok, I think I may of found a cheap studio light kit that I might really like.

Square Perfect SP160 Variable Power Professional Studio Flash Set

its on ebay, its a company not a person, brand new and its $300...

tell me if you guys think its worth it or not. cause I might save it on my ebay and buy it at some other time.

Heres info on the radio trigger: Sambesigroup Radio Trigger DRT-2G

I also found this made by them as well... only $20 for two umbrella's... : two photo studio lighting umbrellas

Also this light kit: 3 studio flash/strobe, 2 softbox, 3 backdrop, wireless
    Jer
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    I know I need to get the flash off my camera, but I dont have the money for the wireless adapter. Its like $300 if i'm not mistaken. and if you watch the video of Gary Fong he gets the same effect of studio lighting with just his light sphere.. which is why I was thinking it could be a cheaper, temporary solution to not being able to afford studio lighting. since I have people that want me to take their portraits asap which is why I asked for input.

Which would you recomend Richard? the cloud or the clear? I liked what gary can do with the clear one, and I havent seen anything that was taken with the cloud. could you post some of your work that the cloud was used?

thanks everyone. I gotta go, I'm at work and its getting busy.

I made it this far and had to post......1st page ...6th post
    for triggers....I have some of the ebay specials that you can get 1-transmitter and 2 receivers for under $50 .... they work great...but you have to shoot in manual mode with your speedlight.....I also use an ebay specvial wireless trigger.....around$30........as divamum stated you can make your own softbox likeshe did or since I needed something small lightweight, folds flat for carrying I spent under$30 for a LumiQuest Softbox....this is the original it is around 5 x 7 inches and works great (approx a 2 stop light loss)......I also have a clear fong style sphere with several caps....works great but will only fit one of my flash units so it is up for sale soon.....Love my Lumiquest Softbox because I can use it on my KM 5600H speed light or my Sunpak 622 handle mount flash units.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited January 5, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    I made it this far and had to post......1st page ...6th post
    for triggers....I have some of the ebay specials that you can get 1-transmitter and 2 receivers for under $50 .... they work great...but you have to shoot in manual mode with your speedlight.....I also use an ebay specvial wireless trigger.....around$30........as divamum stated you can make your own softbox likeshe did or since I needed something small lightweight, folds flat for carrying I spent under$30 for a LumiQuest Softbox....this is the original it is around 5 x 7 inches and works great (approx a 2 stop light loss)......I also have a clear fong style sphere with several caps....works great but will only fit one of my flash units so it is up for sale soon.....Love my Lumiquest Softbox because I can use it on my KM 5600H speed light or my Sunpak 622 handle mount flash units.....

ok... so I've been seeing you post about your ebay sales... but how do I get to it? Im not seeing any links in your sig, or in your profile, or in your other posts... so.... how do I get there? I may be intrested in some of your equipment. :D
    Jer
    edited January 5, 2009
    ok, I think I may of found a cheap studio light kit that I might really like.

Square Perfect SP160 Variable Power Professional Studio Flash Set

its on ebay, its a company not a person, brand new and its $300...

tell me if you guys think its worth it or not. cause I might save it on my ebay and buy it at some other time.

Heres info on the radio trigger: Sambesigroup Radio Trigger DRT-2G

I also found this made by them as well... only $20 for two umbrella's... : two photo studio lighting umbrellas

Also this light kit: 3 studio flash/strobe, 2 softbox, 3 backdrop, wireless

Save your money.....You will be drastically disappointed with those Lights I fear......also for what that one receiver and transmitter costs you can get at least 2 - 16 channel sets for the same money.....

For now I suggest learning to use 1 light and umbrella or Brolly box and then moving up to 2 and more....Your 580EX is a good powerful strobe....right now all you need is : a lightstand, universal flash adapter and either shoot thru umbrella or brolly box....I like the brolly box as it reduces light loss......

here is a strobist kit from ebay.....69.00 now add a Sigma flash or sunpak or another canon flash and you have a 2 light set up....oh and the wireless triggers i USE THE RD616 from photogearok on EBAY..........it looks like right now all they have are single units for $14 +$9 for sh and I bet if you ask for 2 they will make a deal at least on shipping.....send them a message asking when they will have some of the 2 reciever kits and how much they will be.......I have like 5 Transmitters and 8 recievers purposely bought extras just in case I had a prob at any type of event...also got extra set incase I contracted other photogs for an event.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited January 5, 2009
    ok... so I've been seeing you post about your ebay sales... but how do I get to it? Im not seeing any links in your sig, or in your profile, or in your other posts... so.... how do I get there? I may be intrested in some of your equipment. :D

I do not sell on ebay....I buy there.....I have a Sale thread in the flea market here.....linky .........HERE ..........i cannot add any photos at this time....I am waiting on a new computer case to arrive so I can put together a new machine....right now most i can do is email and forum talk like this.....

edited January 5, 2009
    Thanks scott...

I'll probably get one of those flash triggers since they're really cheap. and maybe that strobist kit. how much are those sunpak / sigma flashes? I can't afford another Canon flash... not even a 430ex or whatever the cheaper version is...

---

WARNING: For those viewers on here that can not handle sarcastic personalities, please read on at your own descretion. I am not liable for anyone thinking I actually mean what I say. For those that have a sense of humor, by all means continue. For those that dont, no offense but... you should reconsider. (I've gotten yelled at by people on here for being sarcastic, if you're also extremely sarcastic add me as a friend so I'll know who I can kid around with and who not too)

---

man... I spend so much money to get a flash... because people (not on here, in real life) tell me to get a flash and that it will be the best thing I ever do. Then I get yelled at for using it on camera by people on here... pshh somebody shoot me please. (please dont shoot me really, I dont want to die.) Oh well... in the end it hopefully will pay off... and hopefully more than what I paid for all this equipment.
    Jer
    edited January 5, 2009
    Thanks scott...

I'll probably get one of those flash triggers since they're really cheap. and maybe that strobist kit. how much are those sunpak / sigma flashes? I can't afford another Canon flash... not even a 430ex or whatever the cheaper version is...

---

WARNING: For those viewers on here that can not handle sarcastic personalities, please read on at your own descretion. I am not liable for anyone thinking I actually mean what I say. For those that have a sense of humor, by all means continue. For those that dont, no offense but... you should reconsider. (I've gotten yelled at by people on here for being sarcastic, if you're also extremely sarcastic add me as a friend so I'll know who I can kid around with and who not too)

---

man... I spend so much money to get a flash... because people (not on here, in real life) tell me to get a flash and that it will be the best thing I ever do. Then I get yelled at for using it on camera by people on here... pshh somebody shoot me please. (please dont shoot me really, I dont want to die.) Oh well... in the end it hopefully will pay off... and hopefully more than what I paid for all this equipment.

Jeremy.....go to the flea market and their is 2 SunPak 283's for $30 each....if they work they are fantastic manual flash units.....and will work with the radio triggers just fine.....make sure to get to sets to start with.........

here is a LINK to a whole page of Sigma Super 500DG flashes on Ebay.....they sale for just over $100

Good Luck

Art

edited January 5, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    Jeremy.....go to the flea market and their is 2 SunPak 283's for $30 each....if they work they are fantastic manual flash units.....and will work with the radio triggers just fine.....make sure to get to sets to start with.........

here is a LINK to a whole page of Sigma Super 500DG flashes on Ebay.....they sale for just over $100

Good Luck

Art

Couldn't find any sunpak 283's on the flea market.ne_nau.gif you sure they were there? could you post a link to it?
    Jer
    edited January 5, 2009
    Sorry....I should have pointed you to the sub forum....THE KITCHEN SINK .... it says they work but are misssing the battery holder ($5 each from camera store or ebay usually) and need a hotshoe trippger for the wireless trigger to plug into...another $5 off ebay

Link HERE also.........since I read it.....I advise you to spend double for the Sigma's off ebay.......by double 30 x 2 = 60 x 2 = 120 almost enuff for Sigma 500DG super......new and warranteed.........

edited January 5, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    Sorry....I should have pointed you to the sub forum....THE KITCHEN SINK .... it says they work but are misssing the battery holder ($5 each from camera store or ebay usually) and need a hotshoe trippger for the wireless trigger to plug into...another $5 off ebay

Link HERE also.........since I read it.....I advise you to spend double for the Sigma's off ebay.......by double 30 x 2 = 60 x 2 = 120 almost enuff for Sigma 500DG super......new and warranteed.........

Yeah, I dont want to mess around with things that are missing parts that you have to buy elsewhere to get them to work... I'll save up for the sigma. maybe I'll be able to get it in a couple paychecks...

business is slow at my work now, so I only work like 11 hours a week... ne_nau.gif Thats the only downside to working at a Photography Studio / Mini Lab... Hopefully I'll be able to make more money through my business I'm trying to get going here...
    Jer
    edited January 5, 2009
    Have you been reading The Strobist blog? Soooo many of the things you're asking about are covered in extreme depth there - his entire pov is "how to do this on the cheap, but with predictable, quality, professional results".

Yeah, it's kind of heavy sledding getting through THAT much information at first - I'm only just getting the hang of this too, so I get how much it seems like one wants to just "jump to the end" and start shooting - but after you've read it over a few days it seriously starts to not only make sense, but feed the artistic juices. And if you read the comments in the Lighting 101 section, there are often links to sources, great deals, DIY ideas... it's da BOMB (and if you have been doing this, then apologies for redundancy, but many of the questions you're asking are covered in depth over there)

He has a couple of sources for the cheaper transmitters, including a store out in the midwest (prices reasonable as far as I could see), a direct importer from the far east and ebay. He also lays out the PRECISE equipment needed to turn that 580exII of yours into a pretty amazing studio lighting source - because the 580 can run manually, you are already well on your way (in my case, my flash is ETTL only, so I had more hoops to jump through to get it off camera than you do. And more expensive hoops, too.)

Re: reflectors: What I think was being suggested was that instead of using a light modifier which attaches TO the flash and is pointed at the subject, or struggling with mismatched-temperature, underpowered domestic lighting (been there, done that - here's a thread with my own fairly mediocre first efforts that way and you'll read lots of good tips on WHY it's better to work on getting the flash useable instead, plus a bunch of other links and ideas about shooting portraits in general), it is more successful to point the flash AWAY from the subject onto some kind of reflective surface (the wall, the ceiling, a specifically positioned piece of white foamboard or foil covered cardboard) and let THAT light the subject - the reflector increases the apparent SIZE of the lightsource, instantly softens the lighting and creates the kind of gentle modelling shadows that are usually desirable in a portrait. Here's a diagram.

Again, I'm no expert and very much in the learning phase myself, but but hopefully something I say may help. Most important thing: read The Strobist. It's all there!

All the best with your project.
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009

I use my strobe on camera, but only when I have to. When taking candid shots often there is no other viable choice. On camera flash is not so much bad as it is a method of last resort. You use it because you have to, not because you want to.

However, you started this thread asking about studio lighting. Studio work, at least as I see it, is about having full control over the lighting. Working in the studio means you can easily control the ambient light and set up stands, modifiers, reflectors and gobos which are difficult and time consuming to use in the field.

If you were talking about shooting weddings, parties or other events where the environment is difficult to control, I'd say go for the on camera flash and the lightsphere. Its simple and works reasonably well in a lot of situations without much thinking. However, if you want a studio look to your shots, you need to go down the path of lighting control rather than a one-size-fits-all solution.

However, the world of studio-like photography is changing as the gear changes. Modern digital cameras need much less light than film bodies do, so you can get away with smaller, lower powered strobes in many situations. Ya, I'd love a set of 2400 WS Profoto packs, but I can do most of what I need with a couple 60 WS 580EX strobes. That, in a nutshell, in the heart of the Strobist approach: shoot at lower light levels with small battery powered strobes and you can get most of the benefits of a studio rig and still easily take it on the road. All you have to do it get your shoe mount strobe off camera and a whole world opens up.
    edited January 5, 2009
    LiquidAir wrote:
    ... you started this thread asking about studio lighting. Studio work, at least as I see it, is about having full control over the lighting. Working in the studio means you can easily control the ambient light and set up stands, modifiers, reflectors and gobos which are difficult and time consuming to use in the field.

..., the world of studio-like photography is changing as the gear changes. Modern digital cameras need much less light than film bodies do, so you can get away with smaller, lower powered strobes in many situations. Ya, I'd love a set of 2400 WS Profoto packs, but I can do most of what I need with a couple 60 WS 580EX strobes. That, in a nutshell, in the heart of the Strobist approach: shoot at lower light levels with small battery powered strobes and you can get most of the benefits of a studio rig and still easily take it on the road. All you have to do it get your shoe mount strobe off camera and a whole world opens up.

15524779-Ti.gif Excellent post LA. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    All that said by others ...very good info and good way to save money. That said , the fong sphere is much more durable then many of the diy projects and of course is very portable. It provides very good even lighting in many conditions thought not terribley dramatic.

I have been to several wedding and occasions/events..many of the "pros" had the fong sphere. It is over priced but I will give credit/money where it is due.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited January 5, 2009
    LiquidAir wrote:

If you were talking about shooting weddings, parties or other events where the environment is difficult to control, I'd say go for the on camera flash and the lightsphere. Its simple and works reasonably well in a lot of situations without much thinking. However, if you want a studio look to your shots, you need to go down the path of lighting control rather than a one-size-fits-all solution.
    Well, I am also doing weddings and stuff like that. Which is why I want to get one because it looks like it would work perfectly. But I also saw Garry using it for studio work, and it looks pretty much the same as studio lighting. I'm not saying thats all I'm going to use. Its just a temporary solution to one problem and a long term solution to my flash usage at weddings problem.

heres a digital copy of my business card. (being printed as we speak!! so excited to get them!wings.gif)

449591233_GwDBf-M.jpg
    Jer
  • Shootin1stShootin1st Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Jeremy

You can see some not-a-pro shots using the Lightsphere here.

The Rehearsal Dinner shots were my first shots using the Cloud Lightsphere (let alone full manual!)

50th Anniversary and the Work party were both in extremely dark rooms. By then I'd added the amber dome/tungsten WB.
    Constructive Criticism Welcome!
    All photos are Copyrighted and Registered. Please don't use without permission.

5DSR 16-35 2.8L III 24-70 2.8L II 70-200 2.8L IS II
    edited January 5, 2009
    Shootin1st wrote:
    Jeremy

You can see some not-a-pro shots using the Lightsphere here.

The Rehearsal Dinner shots were my first shots using the Cloud Lightsphere (let alone full manual!)

50th Anniversary and the Work party were both in extremely dark rooms. By then I'd added the amber dome/tungsten WB.

Thanks, they look great. I think next paycheck I'll order the clear one. I liked the results Garry gets with it.
    Jer
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    man... I spend so much money to get a flash... because people (not on here, in real life) tell me to get a flash and that it will be the best thing I ever do. Then I get yelled at for using it on camera by people on here... pshh somebody shoot me please. (please dont shoot me really, I dont want to die.) Oh well... in the end it hopefully will pay off... and hopefully more than what I paid for all this equipment.[/QUOTE]

I know, right? Yo buy one thing, then need another. The list of "must haves" is never completed. I have to say that so far my investment in equipment has paid off. I've been getting a little at a time, and still have more to buy, but each time I get a new piece my photography improves (and I make some money). The benefit of not being able to afford it all at once is that it gives you time to learn how to best use what you have, and to figure out how to prioritize your list. I've learned soooo much chatting with people in this forum, reading about what they use, and seeing their results.

Caroline
    edited January 6, 2009
    I know, right? Yo buy one thing, then need another. The list of "must haves" is never completed. I have to say that so far my investment in equipment has paid off. I've been getting a little at a time, and still have more to buy, but each time I get a new piece my photography improves (and I make some money). The benefit of not being able to afford it all at once is that it gives you time to learn how to best use what you have, and to figure out how to prioritize your list. I've learned soooo much chatting with people in this forum, reading about what they use, and seeing their results.

Caroline

yeah, I just wish I was making enough money off of my photography that I could even buy equipment over time. right now, I've made a total of $8.10 with my photography. YAY!!! not... thats not gonna get me any closer to that new _______ I need.

But as soon as I get my business cards, I'm giving some to my brother's fiance to give to her friends that are getting married... so I may have a couple weddings lined up soon, so theres like $300 a wedding. (I'm not famous enough to charge thousands like everone else... ne_nau.gif)
    Jer
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    LiquidAir wrote:
    I would not buy a lightsphere if you are on a budget. Particularly in the studio you can get better results cheaper with DIY solutions. Here's an exmple of a DIY project which will serve you better in the studio than the lightsphere. There are lots of great DIY projects for that class of modifier. If I was going to buy a small camera mount modifier, it would either be one of these or one of these.

Better, though, is to invest first in getting your strobe off camera--either wired or wireless. Add a stand, a cheap umbrella and a sheet of white foamcore as a reflector and you are good to go. The lightsphere and its bretheren are meant for shooting candids which is a very different set of techniques than studio work. If your goal is to develop as a studio shooter you'll learn a lot more working with a budget off camera rig than an on camera modifier.

Great link! Thank you!
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited January 6, 2009
    But as soon as I get my business cards, I'm giving some to my brother's fiance to give to her friends that are getting married... so I may have a couple weddings lined up soon, so theres like $300 a wedding. (I'm not famous enough to charge thousands like everone else... ne_nau.gif)

I charged $300 over 25 yrs ago, just starting out......even here a beginner gets way closer to 1K........it is way to much work, when you include the post processing and I understand your thinking ......HOWEVER.......if you shoot and the word gets around taht you did Becky's wedding and Janes wedding and Kathy's wedding for $300, then I can't possibley pay you anymore as we are all best friends...............see the thought train going on here...........buck it up to 750 for a basic no prints only online ordering so you don't get into a really bad RUTT here that you can't get out of ..............Normally overly low cheapskate pricing bring you the kmart, walmart $4.99 / 50 photo package kind of customer......and yes they do need to be photographed but not at your expense...........

If you keep pricing at a mid range (wedding start at 1K) there is an implied professionalism and cost = product worth stream of thought that seems to be in peoples minds..........

Good luck.............