Saturday tease, setup included

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited January 12, 2009 in People
Hear ye, hear ye!
Today, Saturday the 10th 2009 I finally came out of my holiday imposed photographic hiatus and had a regular studio shoot, first one this year:-) :clap
As always, a few setup pictures and a peek into the model's look:-) Sorry, no nudes today, that's on tomorrow's menu! :wink

#1: My current setup - front view. I specifically pulled up the gobo shades to allow the rim lights to be visible.

452682795_fWpBa-X2.jpg

#2: The same setup, with the gobos in position and the sitting cube in place.

452683180_tQAE7-X2.jpg

#3: Model's POV - view to her left (camera's right):

452682895_GtRAP-X2.jpg

#4: Model's POV - view to her right (camera's left):

452682989_vJC5p-X2.jpg

#5: Model's POV towards the camera:

452682637_eK4KM-XL.jpg

#6: Caren in position:

452683517_xpoTg-X2.jpg

#7: Going for princess/cinderella look:

452684143_uTwPi-X2.jpg

Enjoy, the finals are coming (albeit it may take a few days:-)
This post was made with the assistance of Star*Explorer
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• mayassamayassa Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    holly cow you have a lot of lights! niceiloveyou.gif
    You can use my Smug Mug coupon a0rrvSicVVqE2

Rick-Matassa.smugmug.com/
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    Many thanks, Nik. That's very informative. I have just set up my first "studio"(!) in a corner of a small room, just a cubbyhole. I'll send a pic.
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • lisaplisap Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    I'm so envious of the height you have to work with and the gorgeous fabrics you always use. iloveyou.gif (ok, ok....and the lights too....haha) My lower ceiling basement studio offers me quite a challenge when I have anyone over 5'8" or so and I love seeing shots of the really high ceilings :)

Can't wait to see the results.

-- Lisa P.
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    The framing is a little off, and it looks like you blew out some of the highlights in the first few pictures. It's a good effort though. Maybe next time you can pay more attention.

Just kidding!

I have read critiques of his teaser shots like they were actually the real deal. :D
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    mayassa wrote:
    holly cow you have a lot of lights! niceiloveyou.gif
    Thanks! thumb.gif
    edited January 11, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    Many thanks, Nik. That's very informative. I have just set up my first "studio"(!) in a corner of a small room, just a cubbyhole. I'll send a pic.
    You're very welcome Neil! Glad to be of help! And believe me, I know the struggles for space:-)
    edited January 11, 2009
    lisap wrote:
    I'm so envious of the height you have to work with and the gorgeous fabrics you always use. iloveyou.gif (ok, ok....and the lights too....haha) My lower ceiling basement studio offers me quite a challenge when I have anyone over 5'8" or so and I love seeing shots of the really high ceilings :)

Can't wait to see the results.

-- Lisa P.
    Thanks, Lisa!
    Yeah, I hear ya... You'd think initially that the height doesn't matter, but boy you realize quickly you can't have enough.. Studio portraiture is such a space hog: you need length to use long glass, you need width to have an ability to put the rim lights properly, you need the height to have the poper hair light and some shooting angles... Arrgh...
    edited January 11, 2009
    jonh68 wrote:
    The framing is a little off, and it looks like you blew out some of the highlights in the first few pictures. It's a good effort though. Maybe next time you can pay more attention.

Just kidding!

I have read critiques of his teaser shots like they were actually the real deal. :D

Laughing.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Thanks for stopping by! thumb.gif
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    Nikolia,

Thanks for taking the time to post photos of your set up.

I now feel like a strobe challenged photographer with only two strobes. :cry

Sam
    edited January 11, 2009
    Sam wrote:
    Nikolia,

Thanks for taking the time to post photos of your set up.

I now feel like a strobe challenged photographer with only two strobes. :cry

Sam
    Sam,
    you're very welcome! thumb.gif
    Don't I know the feeling... :sigh
    Yet even two strobes can get you some nice images if used creatively. Especially if you add a few really inexpensive (and often DIY-able) gadgets, like reflectors, diffusers, etc. One the my best (and most popular amongst modeling crowd, it also pops up here at dgrin banner occasionally) images was taken with ... Home Depot worklights. deal.gif
    So, as always, "it's not the size/gear..." mwink.gif
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    Hey Nik, i need something for my portfolio...this is the look im going for, can you help? http://www.enjoyart.com/single_posters/celebrity/george_timeless.htm
    Aaron Nelson
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    Hey Nik, i need something for my portfolio...this is the look im going for, can you help? http://www.enjoyart.com/single_posters/celebrity/george_timeless.htm

ROFLMA rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifrofl
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009

Where would you put the sunstar? mwink.gifwinkmwink.gif
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited January 11, 2009
    lol3.gif
    nice one! thumb.gif
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    i gotta find me some black socks.

anyway i dont mean to de-rail your thread, it is a very serious subject and i enjoy reading about you and your set-up etc...!
    Aaron Nelson
    edited January 11, 2009
    i gotta find me some black socks.
    totally!
    anyway i dont mean to de-rail your thread, it is a very serious subject and i enjoy reading about you and your set-up etc...!
    NP, there is nothing to derail to begin with, it's just a teaser anyway, and yours made it more fun:-) thumb.gif
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    You are killing me!!!!!!! :hang I wanna see the pics :D
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    Man, Nik- you must have one wonderful wife to let you do that to your livingroom all the time.
    I loved seeing your setup! (And I am trying hard not to be jealous of all your lights...)

Also I am really interested to see these photos- in the second one her dress appears so old fashioned compared to your usual I wonder where you are planning to go with it.

Waiting... waiting...
    edited January 12, 2009
    Agnieszka wrote:
    You are killing me!!!!!!! :hang I wanna see the pics :D
    Thanks, Angie! You will, I promise:-) thumb.gif
    edited January 12, 2009
    Man, Nik- you must have one wonderful wife to let you do that to your livingroom all the time.
    I loved seeing your setup! (And I am trying hard not to be jealous of all your lights...)

Also I am really interested to see these photos- in the second one her dress appears so old fashioned compared to your usual I wonder where you are planning to go with it.

Waiting... waiting...
    Thanks, Heather!
    Well, we didn't use that room like ever, so once I started to shoot on a regular basis it was a natural move...
    And I bet I have at least one surprise for you re: that pink dress:-)
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    Nikolai,

It's great to see the rest of your studio. I have to agree you have a lot of lights and gear.
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
    edited January 12, 2009
    Nikolai,
    It's great to see the rest of your studio. I have to agree you have a lot of lights and gear.
    Thank you! :-)
  • ZarathustraZarathustra Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    Nioolai, I am thoroughly impressed! I lurked here for about a year before joining and your work has always impressed the hell out of me. Your studio work always gave me the impression that you had something huge and expansive since nothing ever looks cramped in any way shape or form. That you are doing all of your shots in a room in your house astounds me! Thanks for the set up shots! thumb.gif
    edited January 12, 2009
    Nioolai, I am thoroughly impressed! I lurked here for about a year before joining and your work has always impressed the hell out of me. Your studio work always gave me the impression that you had something huge and expansive since nothing ever looks cramped in any way shape or form. That you are doing all of your shots in a room in your house astounds me! Thanks for the set up shots! thumb.gif
    "So sprach Zarathustra!" :-) rolleyes1.gif
    Thanks! thumb.gif
    As mentioned earlier, I'm lucky to have an available room with a high ceiling. It's a bit too narrow for what I'd like it to be, but I guess we all have to manage:-) mwink.gif
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    I will say I'm very envious of all your lighting equipment there Nik......wow...how cool.....pretty soon, you'll need scaffolding to place lights and modifiers for each muscle group of the model :D:D:D

Really looking forward to the final images.....great guns!
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    Nik do you do this out of your home?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
    edited January 12, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    I will say I'm very envious of all your lighting equipment there Nik......wow...how cool.....pretty soon, you'll need scaffolding to place lights and modifiers for each muscle group of the model :D:D:D

Really looking forward to the final images.....great guns!
    Thanks, David!
    RE: scaffolding and muscle-group specific modifiers: that's how PB does it, and that's my goal, I'm working on it!l:-) deal.gifmwink.gif
    Stay tuned, jut gimme a couple of days: new season "24" started yesterday, I *must* watch it:-) rolleyes1.gif
    edited January 12, 2009
    Nik do you do this out of your home?
    Did I ever mention any other place? mwink.gif I'm not that rich to rent a place for studio...
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    How much do you charge tenants? deal.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
    edited January 12, 2009
    How much do you charge tenants? deal.gif
    You mean my wife and kinds? mwink.gif It's a barter, but you *really* don't want to get into that... rolleyes1.gif