Options

Is it smart to jump ship to Nikon?

13»

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 12, 2009
    452663848_tPRcy-XL.jpg

... this picture also shows the faulty focus. the focus on this one was meant to be on the autofocus/manual focus switch. Not the rim of the lens.

This picture and the comment below it is indicative of a very common user problem. The autofocus system always gravitates towards high-contrast edges in the foreground. The areas of contrast in that little switch are almost non-existent as compared to that big sharp edge on the front rim on the lens. Also, as previously stated, the autofocus points are actually MUCH larger than the little red dots in the viewfinder. Wouldn't it be nice if the actual sensitive area of the AF point was equal do that little red square. However, it's NOT. If you want to see how big it actually is, set your camera to use only the center AF point, and point your camera up at a clear blue sky. Chances are it won't focus because there's nothing with contrast to lock on to. Now, holding down the shutter half-way, slowly pan down towards something with some contrast, maybe a tree or the moon. As you get close to that object, your focus will suddenly lock in. Pan away, and slowly back until you can see exactly where it starts to detect the contrasting edge. I think you will be shocked at how far away the edge is from the focus point. As I said, it's sensitive area is MUCH larger than you think. This most likely accounts for the perceived focus problems you're seeing.

Categorizing focus problems is a non-trivial effort and must be done on a tripod. Google "focus tests" to get some ideas, or I can give you some. I'm a bit of a pixel peeper, and have spent a lot of time devising focus tests and testing my equipment. Based on my findings, I did in fact send back some equipment for warranty calibration.
    focus_test_jig_small.jpg

I built my own test jig, but there are now commercial test jigs you can by. Also, the tests can be done with little more than just a ruler. The efforts will not only characterize any focus problems you may have, but will also cause you to become much more familiar with your equipment.

regards,
    -joel
  • Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    Do you have canisters that whisk around the building by vacuum in those tubes, like in an old bank or department store? AWESOME.thumb.gif
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    Looking at that and reading Pindy's reply reminds me of the episode of Lost where they found all those journals that were written and swooshed up to only be unread. lol3.gif

On topic. Find the receipt and try to see if you can get your current one replaced.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 12, 2009
    Pindy wrote:
    Do you have canisters that whisk around the building by vacuum in those tubes, like in an old bank or department store? AWESOME.thumb.gif
    Hehe, just chunks of wood and sawdust. :D

Actually, that was the basement shop I built when we lived in NY. We moved to AZ a couple of years ago, and I've been without a shop since. :cry
  • Options
    Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    The person that sold it to me said I give them my camera and they give me a brand spankin new one. I paid $200 for the warranty so they better let me. And if I can't find the reciept they keep it saved so I should be able to do it even without it.
    Jer
  • Options
    TelephotoTelephoto Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    The person that sold it to me said I give them my camera and they give me a brand spankin new one. I paid $200 for the warranty so they better let me. And if I can't find the reciept they keep it saved so I should be able to do it even without it.

And then you will have a new camera that you cannot operate correctly!

Let's see, so far you have said you read the manual - but you dont know how custom functions work. You shoot in burst mode, but complain when the camera correctly adjusts. You focus in a dark room at a low contrast item, with a slow shuttter speed, without a tripod and wonder why its blurry. You have low grade lenses, but expect superior results - and its all Canon's fault! eek7.gif

Sure, Nikon has an auto feature exactly for that.......on the D3X!

(Do you have $10K floating around?)deal.gif

Well, you said you invited scarcasm............wings.gif

Tele....
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2009
    There isn't any point to be ridiculously sarcastic to Jeremy, Telephoto.

They should have your info, Jeremy. But just in case they give you trouble, look for your receipt.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2009
    Telephoto wrote:
    Well, you said you invited scarcasm............wings.gif

Theres a difference between sarcasm and being an ass.

I know how the custom functions work, just not all of them. You can ask anybody if they know EXACTLY what EVERY SINGLE FRICKEN custom function does, and MAYBE just maybe you might find 1 person that MIGHT know everything. If thats you, then good for you I dont care.

You give me a fight, I'm not afraid to fight back.

Now that I'm done ranting.

:whip rolleyes1.gif

I've looked everywhere in my house, and I can't find the reciept, but Best Buy has been pretty good about no reciept in the past, cause they can look it up.

Now, do you think they would let me return it, and pay a little extra to get the 50D? that would be cool. I doubt it, but it would be cool.
    Jer
  • Options
    Shootin1stShootin1st Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    If you get to the point that you're calling the BB counter guy an ass you might want to try again with a different person rolleyes1.gif
    Constructive Criticism Welcome!
    All photos are Copyrighted and Registered. Please don't use without permission.

5DSR 16-35 2.8L III 24-70 2.8L II 70-200 2.8L IS II
  • Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    C'mon girls... rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2009
    Pindy wrote:
    C'mon girls... rolleyes1.gif

If Jeremy doesn't think my post was funny I'll apologize.

But, I think he'll appreciate the humor.

• Options
    edited January 12, 2009
    Shootin1st wrote:
    If Jeremy doesn't think my post was funny I'll apologize.

But, I think he'll appreciate the humor.

I'm trying to figure out what BB counter guy means... I'm sure I will think its funny as soon as thats cleared up. thumb.gif
    Jer
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2009
    Best Buy clerk
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2009
    Best Buy clerk

yep

• Options
    edited January 12, 2009
    Shootin1st wrote:
    yep

I used to be one! rolleyes1.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2009
    oh, well that one post... the upset part was aimed at that Telephoto guy. Is he a BB guy? idk I like best buy, I'm a silver rewards zone member... aka I spend hella monies there.
    Jer
  • Options
    EkajEkaj Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    :deadhorse
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2009
    Haha, priceless.
    Jer