Options

"insane" "new" Pro service coming?

Comments

• Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    Roytp wrote:
    I am really annoyed with the security and the fact that the exif data is ripped out on upload and also the fact that someone sent me one of my images that they had downloaded, admitedly watermarked but still usefull.

exif data is ripped out? Every image I have uploaded still has the exif info intact.. Do you have a link to an image in one of your galleries where the exif info has been altered?
  • Options
    RoytpRoytp Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    CSwinton wrote:
    exif data is ripped out? Every image I have uploaded still has the exif info intact.. Do you have a link to an image in one of your galleries where the exif info has been altered?

This is the name given to the download.
    491208766_JKeQQ-XL

There are bits of information that you see in the Info over the image but the data refering to owner and copyright has been removed.
    Thank you
    Roy Palmer - Digital Images
    http://www.digital-images.org.uk/
  • Options
    bandgeekndbbandgeekndb Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    For everyone who might be looking at this, the link for the image he mentioned is here:

http://roy-palmer-photography.smugmug.com/gallery/7595773_9ot7y#491208766_JKeQQ

As for EXIF, here's the link for that too. It seems to have standard camera info, etc. intact, but no owner information like Roy is mentioning. Although, with no downloads enabled, I can't tell if it would appear in the original or a resized downloadable file.

http://roy-palmer-photography.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=491208766&ImageKey=JKeQQ
    Nikon D7000, D90

Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8
    Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    Roytp wrote:
    Do you mind telling me where you might migrate to?

Best

Roy

I just kinda took a glance but Exposure manager seems good (Saw someone mention it in another thread). There is a trade-off with everything so I will have to do more homework. However EM seems so good I may sign up for the trial now.

I didn't expect to find something so soon so I may not make it here another year.

I love the community here, so I'll be looking hard to find something wrong with EM. I really want to stay here but this is affecting my sales.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    mleemlee Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    I love the community here, so I'll be looking hard to find something wrong with EM. I really want to stay here but this is affecting my sales.

I tried EM, and still have an account there, but it's not for me.

There are many things that I think SM has over EM that take the cake and keep me here:
    -Speed. EM is horribly slow compared to SM - and SM continues to innovate in this area with the upcoming 'Akamai on custom domains'.
    -Look & feel. SM beautifully displays my photos and navigating through them is simple.
    -Ease of use. SM's shopping cart, including the customer _crop_ feature, is something EM doesn't have and doesn't look like it will have in the near future.

Don't get me wrong, EM has a good offering, it's just not for me.

All of this plus the community and friendly attitude keeps me at SmugMug with my fingers crossed hoping for coupons & packages.

Mike
  • Options
    DanoDano Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    I also like the $.75 price they charge for digital downloads instead of the 15% Smug charges. I had two big paying downloads from companies that I couldn't do through Smug because it would have been a few hundred dollars.

I think I'm going to open a trial and see how I like it.
  • Options
    davisphotosdavisphotos Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    Every service has its trade offs. I'm giving Exposure Manager a shot-it is definitely not as pretty as SmugMug, but it offers some great selling tools that will easily increase my print sales by 10-20%, conservatively. I do love the community, speed and design of SmugMug, but being able to offer promotions, packages and coupons is crucial to improving my bottom line, especially for low cost events, like the graduation I am shooting in June. With EM, I can offer print packages for reduced prices, 10% off orders over $50, and an easy to find URL, rather than the crazy long numbers that SmugMug gallery URLs are.
    I just paid for another year of SmugMug, and will probably keep the galleries I have here up for now, but I need to eke every dollar I can out of any event I shoot, and Exposure Manager has better tools for doing that, in my opinion.
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2009
    I also just renewed last month so I'm here until at least next March. I also agree that no service does it all but Smug could be almost perfect with a few changes.
  • Options
    termina3termina3 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    Smugmug offers a wonderful service, and I think we all agree it has the best customer service in the business (and we can also say that without having tested everyone else out).

And currently, I'm sure that Smugmug is great for lots of pros--I know that my personal photography 'business' does fine. I shoot community service trips, tag the photos with names, and price to cover costs. That's what I want, that's what I get.

But for the sports photography company I work for, Smugmug's lack of coupons and packages is becoming economically nonviable. Speed, looks, all that doesn't matter if photos are selling at half the rate they should be.

I'm adding to the din that many others (including me) have created; surely we all sound like broken records. The good news is, eventually us "records" will wear down (and leave) or we'll stop spouting because the thing that's bothering us has been fixed. I'm hoping, hoping, hoping for the latter, but there will come a point--looks like Fall '09 at the absolute latest--when hoping just isn't going to work anymore.
    Please don't mistake my blunt, pointed posts as my being "angry," "short," or "rude."

I'm generally happy, tall, and fuzzy on the inside.www.NickensPhotography.com
  • Options
    TalkieTTalkieT Registered Users Posts: 491 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    termina3 wrote:
    [snip] But for the sports photography company I work for, Smugmug's lack of coupons and packages is becoming economically nonviable. Speed, looks, all that doesn't matter if photos are selling at half the rate they should be. [snip]

At least you get to sell in your local currency...

Although I still offer prints through Smugmug, I've given up on the digital downloads and have added my own Paypal solution. I'm selling 3-4 TIMES the number of digital downloads through being able to offer $NZD as a payment option but of course I have to self provision.

Packages and coupons from Smugmug won't help me in the slightest in relation to my digital downloads, because they are only going to be in $USD.

I understand why SM won't support foreign currencies and they have confirmed that foreign currency support isn't a high priority for them, but it's unspeakably frustrating to have the best site in all other areas (for me) be utterly let down by the $$$$$$$

Sorry - had to vent :-)

Cheers - N
    --
    http://www.nzsnaps.com (talkiet.smugmug.com)
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2009
    But for the sports photography company I work for, Smugmug's lack of coupons and packages is becoming economically nonviable.

This is where I am. This is a snippet from an email from the boosters for a school I've given a price to do the varsity football next fall.
    Let's see what the packages & coupons are looking like and go from there. I just think that if we could offer photos at a reasonable price there would be a greater interest in purchasing
  • Options
    LightchaserLightchaser Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited April 3, 2009
    TalkieT wrote:
    At least you get to sell in your local currency...

Although I still offer prints through Smugmug, I've given up on the digital downloads and have added my own Paypal solution. I'm selling 3-4 TIMES the number of digital downloads through being able to offer $NZD as a payment option but of course I have to self provision.

Packages and coupons from Smugmug won't help me in the slightest in relation to my digital downloads, because they are only going to be in $USD.

I understand why SM won't support foreign currencies and they have confirmed that foreign currency support isn't a high priority for them, but it's unspeakably frustrating to have the best site in all other areas (for me) be utterly let down by the $$$$$$$

Sorry - had to vent :-)

Cheers - N

From another NZer - I couldn't agree more. (Love your site by the way!)

I would really love to even have the option for customers to use the shopping cart then have that list emailed to me instead of to the lab in the USA. No luck so far but I know the SM team are aware of the issues. Here's hoping...
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2009
    From another NZer - I couldn't agree more. (Love your site by the way!)

I would really love to even have the option for customers to use the shopping cart then have that list emailed to me instead of to the lab in the USA. No luck so far but I know the SM team are aware of the issues. Here's hoping...

Thanks for the compliment!

I know the SM team are aware of the issues, but when pressed quite hard, Andy has admitted that foreign currency isn't a high priority for them and in fact in the thread discussing new features, even after multiple posts, the foreign currency feature didn't even get added to the list of features under consideration.

See : http://dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1072193&postcount=143

I'm resigned at this point to Smugmug staying completely US-centric with regard to the shopping cart.

However, it speaks volumes about the rest of the site and the incredible top tier support that even missing this HUGE feature for me, that I'm not even considering going somewhere else... Everything else about SM is brilliant.

I do like your idea about having an option for the shopping cart just to be emailed to you instead of kicking off an order. I'd probably go for that and try and negotiate a deal with someone local like Frogprints to process the orders.

Cheers - N
    --
  • Options
    pecheneypecheney Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited April 7, 2009
    smugmugpro.com?
    What is this? http://smugmugpro.com/

Just curious.
  • Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2009
    pecheney wrote:
    What is this? http://smugmugpro.com/

Just curious.

A teaser for an upcoming smugmug feature roll-out... mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2009
    To be launched "soon" ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    termina3termina3 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2009
    Dano wrote:
    To be launched "soon" ne_nau.gif

i.e. don't hold your breath (as tempting as it is)

coupons have been coming "soon" for 9+ months…
    Please don't mistake my blunt, pointed posts as my being "angry," "short," or "rude."

I'm generally happy, tall, and fuzzy on the inside.www.NickensPhotography.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2009
    termina3 wrote:
    i.e. don't hold your breath (as tempting as it is)

coupons have been coming "soon" for 9+ months…
    Hi Termina, indeed. But as I've been posting in numerous threads, we have a full-time dedicated engineer on this right now.
  • Options
    R.LeonardoR.Leonardo Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2009
    Oh the anticipation!
    R. Leonardo
    www.RobArtPhoto.com
    Whether he is an artist or not, the photographer is a joyous sensualist, for the simple reason that the eye traffics in feelings, not in thoughts. -Walker Evans
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    We really don't pre announce stuff. But there've been lots of requests related to branding and such.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1100949#post1100949

As a primary example :D
  • Options
    wmmwmm Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited May 1, 2009
    minor explanation for new guy?
    I have read this thread about the great improvements for the "new" Pro service, and while I see all the good things that seem to be being added, my question is:

Is there a reason for me to wait to sign up for SM Pro until that "new" Pro service is up and running fully? Or do additions or changes just integrate into current Pro users as they become available?

thanks ahead of time...

-Mickey
  • Options
    wmmwmm Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited May 1, 2009
    i am assuming maybe this was a dumb question?
  • Options
    The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2009
    wmm wrote:
    I have read this thread about the great improvements for the "new" Pro service, and while I see all the good things that seem to be being added, my question is:

Is there a reason for me to wait to sign up for SM Pro until that "new" Pro service is up and running fully? Or do additions or changes just integrate into current Pro users as they become available?

thanks ahead of time...

-Mickey
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2009
    wmm wrote:

thanks ahead of time...

-Mickey
    Our pros get any and all upgrades we do, that's how we roll.
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2009
    There sure is a lot of complaining in this thread. No one site will do it all. There are always going to be sites that don't do something for you right, then throw in another 10,000 people and there are another 10,000 things wrong.

I mean really.
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2009
    Terrence wrote:
    At this point, Andy's "trust us", "you'll love it", "just wait" responses are disingenuous and I just get angry when I read them. I'm done commenting and asking questions, because I honestly don't see this policy/attitude/culture changing, so I'll change myself and get over it. I may stick with SmugMug, but I'm a little less of an evangelist now.

FWIW, I did read some of David Jay's comments on another forum where he hints that some of ShowIt's technology and features will be part of the new pro service.
    From a business stand point it's better then saying it'll be live May 1st and then a hickup comes here and there and it's pushed back to May 7th, then May 10th, then May 20th...

Respect that they are working hard on upgrades and new things while taking the time to not make promises they can't fulfill. So many businesses do that it's funny. I'd rather know something is coming then having to see a new date every time I log in.

Trust is key, have they ever let you down before?
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2009
    There sure is a lot of complaining in this thread

Should we just post how much we love Smug and they should change nothing. I'm sure even the Smug guys love the fact people are voicing what is important to them. You are right that no one site does it all and instead of leaving we make suggestions to make Smug the closest to doing it all.

Unfortunately the most important thing for me is a few of the things that are "coming soon" and can wait no longer. I'm tired of doing my own packages and will be leaving this weekend to another service. I will have my Smug account still as I just renewed a few months ago but will start selling from another.

I disagree about not putting a rough date on it. I would rather see a good explanation of why a date was missed and what the new estimated date will be instead of just soon. One man's soon is another man's lifetime.
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2009
    Dano wrote:
    Should we just post how much we love Smug and they should change nothing. I'm sure even the Smug guys love the fact people are voicing what is important to them.

nod.gifnod.gif
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2009
    This one seems pretty simple to me. I signed up with Smugmug because they offer the best service for my goals.
    Of course there are some additional items that I would love to see, but I did not sign up because of what may or may not happen at some future date. When new or improved services do pop up, I just consider it gravy. I get additional features for no extra cost. Not everyone offers that.
    On top of everything else, the big wigs at Smugmug are open to everyone's ideas and complaints, almost instantly.
    How many other companies can you think of that offer this kind of personal service?
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2009
    The Mack wrote:
    Trust is key, have they ever let you down before?

Not let down as in missed a date (cos they don't announce)... But most no-US pros feel let down that in today's global economy, Sumgmug is massively focussed on US pros. Unfortunately there (presumably) aren't enough overseas pros to be worth developing features for.

It sucks, but I respect the business prioritisation decisions behind it.

Recently (last couple of months) Smugmug has plainly admitted that multiple currency support isn't high on the list of requests - but the 2-3 years before that where they refused to comment on it at all gave false hope to many.

This however is pretty much my only complaint (and I do voice it often - I want as many overseas pros to chime in with "Hey, yeah, I want that too" as possible) - every other aspect of the service has been great for me...

The support especially, both here form the Heroes and the communit, and the post sales support for clients is just amazing.

Cheers - N
    --