Options

"insane" "new" Pro service coming?

124»

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Our pros get any and all upgrades we do, that's how we roll.
    For example, Easy Customizer: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=129182 a feature that has been asked (demanded!) by our pros. This is available to power users, but but make no mistake, we heard from almost every single pro that they want to be able to make a custom site, easily and quickly.

Voila!
  • Options
    JohnnycbJohnnycb Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited May 3, 2009
    Terrence wrote:
    At this point, Andy's "trust us", "you'll love it", "just wait" responses are disingenuous and I just get angry when I read them. I'm done commenting and asking questions, because I honestly don't see this policy/attitude/culture changing, so I'll change myself and get over it. I may stick with SmugMug, but I'm a little less of an evangelist now.

FWIW, I did read some of David Jay's comments on another forum where he hints that some of ShowIt's technology and features will be part of the new pro service.

I have to agree with you on this issue and it is not an easy choice on my side since I have been with SmugMug for years. But, I told myself I would give Smug a chance to roll out the "new" SmugMug Pro but as of this writing I can wait no longer. I have been really impressed with what Photoshelter has to offer especially their work with making their site offerings SEO friendly and their excellent live trainings they offer are very impressive. So far I have sat in on two of them and I have to say they are very informative.

I'll keep a basic site here but my business site will go elsewhere.

Johnny
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2009
    Johnnycb wrote:
    I have to agree with you on this issue and it is not an easy choice on my side since I have been with SmugMug for years. But, I told myself I would give Smug a chance to roll out the "new" SmugMug Pro but as of this writing I can wait no longer. I have been really impressed with what Photoshelter has to offer especially their work with making their site offerings SEO friendly and their excellent live trainings they offer are very impressive. So far I have sat in on two of them and I have to say they are very informative.

I'll keep a basic site here but my business site will go elsewhere.

Johnny
    What sort of live training are you looking for ear.gif What topics?
  • Options
    DanoDano Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    Hey Johnny I really like Photoshelter but I didn't like the fact that the check out was Pay Pal only. I went with Exposure Manager and their cart and gallery structure is pretty nice. I love the fact I can do as many sub-galleries as I want and the packages and coupons are great. Also they charge 10% commission. Granted it doesn't look as good as Smug but for event photography it works out great. I hope Smug Pro will roll out soon and be the perfect solution, but as you I could wait no longer.
  • Options
    Ryan ArmbrustRyan Armbrust Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    So, honestly, any real news on this SmugMug Pro thing?
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2009
    So, honestly, any real news on this SmugMug Pro thing?
    Honestly? Are we ever dishonest to you? :D

We began rolling out new SmugMug Pro features back in January with the Bay Photo announcement, adding a true professional's lab to our Site. Then we added SMUGs, SmugMug User Groups. We updated our terms to reinforce in plain language that your photos belong to you, and not us. We've added the Easy Customizer, making it easy for pros to sign up and have a custom site within minutes, not hours, days or weeks. And they don't have to know HTML or CSS. We made it so SmugMug can be removed completely from the footer on pro accounts.

Ryan, all these things are features that have been directly asked for by our Pros. And more are coming, including more pro branding, less Smuggy branding - coupons, packages, and more.

So it's not a big huge single release, guys.

Stay tuned deal.gif
  • Options
    Ryan ArmbrustRyan Armbrust Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    Gotcha!
    I guess I had it in my head that there was going to be some wacky release date for a slew of new features.
    iloveyou.gif You know I love me some Smugmug.
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2009
    Gotcha!
    I guess I had it in my head that there was going to be some wacky release date for a slew of new features.
    iloveyou.gif You know I love me some Smugmug.
    lol3.gif thanks Ryan.

We've more work to do on this SmugMug Pro stuff - I'm going back to it.
  • Options
    JohnnycbJohnnycb Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    What sort of live training are you looking for ear.gif What topics?

Andy.

They have live webinars (that last about an hour) thru Go To Meeting that cover:
    • Live Training: Intro to Basics 101
    • Sales Setup of Your Archive and using FotoQuote to generate on the spot pricing
    • Website Customization
    • Guide to SEO
    The two that I have sat in on have been very informative. Seeing someone
    actually using the interface live and being able to ask a question if need be is very nice.

Johnny
  • Options
    davisphotosdavisphotos Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    I will be excited to see what rolls out with this Pro service. SmugMug's service and design has been nothing sort of stellar. In the meantime, however, I signed up with Pictage. I just spent an hour today ordering prints for a client that bought a prepaid print voucher when I was using just SmugMug. Coupons would have made that a lot easier. And for the college graduation I'm shooting next month, being able to offer pre-registration, print packages, and custom promotions will make my workflow easier, and my bottom line fatter. Being able to offer coupons as promotions, easily set promotional prices (ie 10% off for 15 days), sell print packages and pre-paid print vouchers with portraits and weddings, are all important for my business.
  • Options
    FuronoFurono Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    Ustream them at first. Works great.
    jeffjochum wrote:
    Since SMUGs will ultimately be organized and run by the community itself, I don;t see any limitations for geography, at all. In fact, I think we'll have a few int'l SMUGs up and running by year end. w00t!

Regarding online... that's a bt more prickly since one of the key values of SMUGs is the personal interaction and "touch". Having said that, I'd ove to figure out a way to replicate this interaction online, but am not sure how to do that... suggestions anyone?

jeff
    Steve Nelson
    Tour Leader - DPRK
    Uri Tours
    SmugMug - photos.japanphotos.jp
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    We began rolling out new SmugMug Pro features back in January with the Bay Photo announcement, adding a true professional's lab to our Site. Then we added SMUGs, SmugMug User Groups. We updated our terms to reinforce in plain language that your photos belong to you, and not us. We've added the Easy Customizer, making it easy for pros to sign up and have a custom site within minutes, not hours, days or weeks. And they don't have to know HTML or CSS. We made it so SmugMug can be removed completely from the footer on pro accounts.

Ryan, all these things are features that have been directly asked for by our Pros. And more are coming, including more pro branding, less Smuggy branding - coupons, packages, and more.

So it's not a big huge single release, guys.

Stay tuned deal.gif

We just added this:

With our May 8 2009 release, now, for Pros only, if you add a custom page title via our Easy Customizer, or via your Advanced Site Wide Customizing, the "Powered by SmugMug" is removed from your page title.
  • Options
    BeachsidePaulBeachsidePaul Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    Very nice change Andy (and the Hero's who did the real work of course), thanks! Paul
    Light Dynamics Photography

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. " ... Ansel Adams
  • Options
    ewoldewold Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    We just added this:

With our May 8 2009 release, now, for Pros only, if you add a custom page title via our Easy Customizer, or via your Advanced Site Wide Customizing, the "Powered by SmugMug" is removed from your page title.

Fantastic!!! Thanks!!!
  • Options
    timeflighttimeflight Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2009
    Are payouts by paypal coming in this 'pro' update or is it all just fluff?
    This is the single thing stopping me signing up. I just cant be doing with having paper cheques snail-mailed across the Atlantic and the associated bank charges that go with it.
    I know you are primarily as US focussed company - but there's a big world out there chaps. Or maybe you don't need the money?
    I'm sticking with zenfolio until this happens.
  • Options
    brjphotobrjphoto Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2009
    timeflight wrote:
    This is the single thing stopping me signing up. I just cant be doing with having paper cheques snail-mailed across the Atlantic and the associated bank charges that go with it.
    I know you are primarily as US focussed company - but there's a big world out there chaps. Or maybe you don't need the money?

Smugmug has already sent information with some checks to pros that states that they are working on eliminating paper checks and having profits direct deposited into bank accounts.
  • Options
    Erick LErick L Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    We just added this:

Except it shows the same title on every page. If I don't want that, I'm still stuck with "Smugmug Photo Sharing - Your photos look better here" on the homepage and categories.
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2009
    Erick L wrote:
    Except it shows the same title on every page. If I don't want that, I'm still stuck with "Smugmug Photo Sharing - Your photos look better here" on the homepage and categories.
    Right. So you'll wanna wait till a near-term release when hopefully we have more to say about this subject :D

Small steps, Erick - c'mon - rejoice with me, we just removed "Powered by SmugMug" from your footers and page titles - in response to requests to do just that :D
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2009
    timeflight wrote:
    We'll have electronic payments, yes. US ACH Payments first, is the plan, then a method to pay international pros via another Service. We're not there yet but it's in the plans.
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    ...So it's not a big huge single release, guys.

Stay tuned deal.gif

I respect that. Maybe you could put some sort of newsfeed on http://www.smugmugpro.com/ to show what's been done so far. Having a static teaser site for months and months creates more frustration than buzz.

Malte
  • Options
    wirehuntwirehunt Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    We'll have electronic payments, yes. US ACH Payments first, is the plan, then a method to pay international pros via another Service. We're not there yet but it's in the plans.

It seems the US hasn't grasped the beauty that is internet banking, it works a treat thumb.gif
    Stephen Dickson: The one from the south island of New Zealand.

Work hard, play harder. bloggy
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2009
    wirehunt wrote:
    It seems the US hasn't grasped the beauty that is internet banking, it works a treat thumb.gif
    What you guys don't understand is that sometimes, we put other things first before ACH and epayments. We're a small, family company, with no debt or venture capital, bootstrapped - we pay for everything for you, our customers, out of our revenues. Sometimes this means that we'll improve the viewing experience, or the site performance, over adding electronic payments, since we're paying out millions now to our pros, each and every month.

But we'll get to it, we promise. We really will. In fact, this project has a sorcerer assigned to it thumb.gif
  • Options
    gtlukegtluke Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    Do debt? I applaud you, good work.
    I like smugmug a wee bit more knowing the management is running a tight ship :)
  • Options
    justusjustus Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    Debt
    As a family financial counselor (volunteer) for the military, I applaud SM's business plan of no debt.

Do you have ANY idea how rare that is for a company...any company? Bravo! I run my photo business the same way. Keeps me motivated!

Oh...and the freedom it allows! Bravo SM!!clap.gif :ivar
    Linda
    Justus Photography
    www.lindasherrill.com
  • Options
    David ManningDavid Manning Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    I also applaud SM on their commitment to financial stability. This will continue to pay off big for many years. I work for a privately held "family bakery" with 6500 employees and $1.1B in annual sales. I am very aware of working with limited resources. I also recognize the need for sound business decisions to ensure the maximum ROI. I believe items like coupons/gift certificates, packages, and mounted prints will have huge payback not only through additional sales, but it will make SM even more attractive to those who are holding out (or thinking of leaving). Personally, I don't mind depositing my own check. It's much less of an inconvenience than not having the products I like to offer. It's critically important to keep a voice in the forums, because each day managerial decisions are made which determine where the resources are allocated, and thus, the direction of the company we choose to do business with.
  • Options
    termina3termina3 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    Debt-free is great.

But before we get on one of our Smug-Love sprees (which are often deserved), let's not forget that this thread is a testament to SmugMug's inability (unwillingness, at best) to set and meet public deadlines, something that is expected of successful customer-based businesses.
    Please don't mistake my blunt, pointed posts as my being "angry," "short," or "rude."

I'm generally happy, tall, and fuzzy on the inside.www.NickensPhotography.com
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2009
    termina3 wrote:
    Debt-free is great.

But before we get on one of our Smug-Love sprees (which are often deserved), let's not forget that this thread is a testament to SmugMug's inability (unwillingness, at best) to set and meet public deadlines, something that is expected of successful customer-based businesses.
    SmugMug Pro has been coming out since January when we announced Bay Photo. Then Easy Customizer and also some de-branding stuff. More to come!
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    SmugMug Pro has been coming out since January when we announced Bay Photo. Then Easy Customizer and also some de-branding stuff. More to come!

Which brings us back to the teaser site. I think alot of the reason people believe nothing has launched is because that site is still upp there.. teasing. Attracting us like moths to a flame, staying tuned, tired of waiting, weary.

:D

Do something with it or take it offline.

Malte (Still tuned)
  • Options
    arpboyarpboy Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    Debt-free
    I also applaud SM on their commitment to financial stability. This will continue to pay off big for many years. I work for a privately held "family bakery" with 6500 employees and $1.1B in annual sales. I am very aware of working with limited resources. I also recognize the need for sound business decisions to ensure the maximum ROI. I believe items like coupons/gift certificates, packages, and mounted prints will have huge payback not only through additional sales, but it will make SM even more attractive to those who are holding out (or thinking of leaving). Personally, I don't mind depositing my own check. It's much less of an inconvenience than not having the products I like to offer. It's critically important to keep a voice in the forums, because each day managerial decisions are made which determine where the resources are allocated, and thus, the direction of the company we choose to do business with.

We also run both our home and business debt-free - the whole Dave Ramsey thing. Good to show that a successful business model is possible, and in these tight times, even more likely to flourish than a debt-based model. Bravo!
  • Options
    David ManningDavid Manning Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited August 12, 2009
    arpboy wrote:
    We also run both our home and business debt-free - the whole Dave Ramsey thing. Good to show that a successful business model is possible, and in these tight times, even more likely to flourish than a debt-based model. Bravo!

I love Dave Ramsey. I saw him speak live a few weeks ago, and he said three years ago people invited him to their talk shows to make fun of him, now they invite him because they think he's a genius. Same message then as it is now. We've been baby steppin' for about three years now. I even taught Financial Peace University at my day job. Great stuff but a little off topic.

David