The Bay Bridge

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited April 9, 2009 in Landscapes
Was in the Bay area again :wink this week. April, sweetie that she is, picked me up from the airport Sunday afternoon and took me shooting at her secret location. I didn't bring a tripod (carry on only) so borrowed hers, sans head.

Learned a few things this time:

1. my sensor is really dirty
2. I can't shoot worth a hoot with my glasses on - progressives, and I just can't figure out focusing.
3. despite it being February, there are still biting insects on the Bay area, and I am still allergic!

4. April is a real doll - actually, we all already knew that! :clap :clap

5. climbing back up over the fence is WAY harder than getting down

So, I will share a few images from my Sunday adventure:

468789457_Yyv8v-L.jpg

468789822_PSVBh-L.jpg

468790384_9Uyh2-L.jpg

and a 3 shot pano:
468789210_7UBWX-L.jpg

If there are still dust bunnies, my apologies. I have a st00pid head cold and my eyes are watering like crazy!

ann

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited February 6, 2009
    Looks like you did pretty well Ann!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • AbiciriderbackAbiciriderback Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2009
    Very nice series really like #3 and #4 very nicely composed

Ray Still
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2009
    I love that pano - WOW!thumb.gif

And, you're right about April! A real doll!
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2009
    A great series. Very nice work! Love them all. clap.gif
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2009
    Beautiful looking shots Ann!!
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2009
    Those are all very well done. It's nice to see a different composition on the bridge.
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2009
    Nice Ann.

Because of your last series I'm scheduled to shot the moonrise on Mon 2/9. I'll have to search the Island for a good shooting site
    Rags
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    Looks like you did pretty well Ann!

Thanks Ian - it is hard to go wrong when you have great subject matter. Really beautiful sunset that night.

ann
    edited February 7, 2009
    Very nice series really like #3 and #4 very nicely composed

Ray Still

Thanks, Ray.

The third one was with April's amazing 120 - 300 - boy that is some nice glass!

ann
    edited February 7, 2009
    I love that pano - WOW!thumb.gif

Thanks!
    And, you're right about April! A real doll!
    thumb.gif
    edited February 7, 2009
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    A great series. Very nice work! Love them all. clap.gif

Thanks, Jeff.

ann
    edited February 7, 2009
    grimace wrote:
    Beautiful looking shots Ann!!

Thank you Adam, ... but they aren't eagles! Boy you guys got fantastic shots!

ann
    edited February 7, 2009
    bryanj87 wrote:
    Those are all very well done. It's nice to see a different composition on the bridge.

Thanks Bryan!

ann
    edited February 7, 2009
    torags wrote:
    Nice Ann.

Because of your last series I'm scheduled to shot the moonrise on Mon 2/9. I'll have to search the Island for a good shooting site

Hi Rags

April challenged me: "will you remember where this spot is?" Well, I am pretty good with maps and directions and stuff, so here is my hint:
    Yerba Buena Island, Forest Road->at a point perpendicular to the Bay Bridge, there is a clearing above a fence but there is also a hole cut in the fence near a dumpster that allows a bit better view......

Moonrise is like sunrise tho, right? so the pier 7 spot that we shot sunrise from in December might be better?
    edited February 7, 2009
    Ann you're a sweetheart (but you knew that :D).

As per moonrise. Each month the rise moves laterally & I haven't got the shooting sites worked out yet, cause I never know where its going to break on the horizon.

In the spring I got a good shot from the headlands thru the suspension wires of the GG. But last month & the 3 months before it rose over Oakland.

I'm hoping I can get the moon and the bridge in one frame. First time for the Island for me & seeing your shots, I'm getting very enthusiastic.

Thanks for the tips

Rags
    Rags
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2009
    torags wrote:

As per moonrise. Each month the rise moves laterally & I haven't got the shooting sites worked out yet, cause I never know where its going to break on the horizon.

In the spring I got a good shot from the headlands thru the suspension wires of the GG. But last month & the 3 months before it rose over Oakland.

I'm hoping I can get the moon and the bridge in one frame. First time for the Island for me & seeing your shots, I'm getting very enthusiastic.

Thanks for the tips

Rags

If you figure out the "where the moon will rise" information be sure to let us all know.

I was at the beach one day, about to drive off, when I saw a photographer climb down to the beach with tripod, he proceeded to set up facing south. I thought he was totally nuts, the sun had been down for awhile. As we drove away I saw a thin sliver of the moon over the bluff, and instantly knew what he was photographing.

So where did he get his information?

As for the secret spot, I'm not likely to visit it, I'll have to enjoy everyone else's photographs. I love the traffic on the bridge.

There's more to the island than the secret spot, lots of lovely old wood frame buildings with peeling paint and such, better photograph them before they are torn down.

Ann, how strange you got a break in traffic and all the 50s in each lane are clear! You probably couldn't do that again if you tried, unless it was like 3 a.m. or something.
    edited February 7, 2009
    I get my info from here

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.php

I like to get it the day the moonrise is at the end of civil twilight or dark. Sometimes it's too bright and it looks washed out. IMHO

Here's one two months ago (over Oakland). The horizon moon has such rich colors due to the atmosphere

395867658_RHYL3-M-1.jpg

Rags
    Rags
    edited February 8, 2009

Thanks for the tips

Thank you - my pleasure and good luck!
    torags wrote:

Here's one two months ago (over Oakland). The horizon moon has such rich colors due to the atmosphere

Rags

Great shot - I love those low moons that look like they are massive. In December we were running errands, driving along and suddenly the massive moon was no longer obscured by buildings. Took my breath away.

ann
    edited February 8, 2009
    There's more to the island than the secret spot, lots of lovely old wood frame buildings with peeling paint and such, better photograph them before they are torn down.

It does look very interesting, but it seemed to me that the homes were inhabited?
    Ann, how strange you got a break in traffic and all the 50s in each lane are clear! You probably couldn't do that again if you tried, unless it was like 3 a.m. or something.

Dee, April and I were laughing about this - these shots were right in the middle of the Superbowl, so no one was on the road! :D
  • pillmanpillman Registered Users Posts: 821 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Pics are nice. Yet enjoyed your humor more...
    edited February 8, 2009
    pillman wrote:
    Pics are nice. Yet enjoyed your humor more...

Well, thank you, Bill!

ann
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    It was so good seeing you again! I just can't believe I was able to find you at SFO without the aid of a cell phone! And for once, traffic was actually decent since it was superbowl sunday!

My heart stopped when I didn't see your lens and kicked it down the hill! Time stood still as I watch it roll downward!
    Ann McRae wrote:
    1. my sensor is really dirty
    Your sensor wasn't the only one....

I'm still getting rid of bunnies and worms out of this one:
    466248396_f7MTB-L.jpg

And the bunnies are winning... rolleyes1.gif
    Ann McRae wrote:
    468789822_PSVBh-Ti.jpg
    I just love the tones in the sky for this one. clap.gifclapclap.gifclap

Come back soon! I have other places to show you!!!!!
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    Fantastic captures, both of you!

This area seems to have no end of good places to shoot. Looks like the weather and the traffic were cooperating. :D
    edited February 9, 2009
    Hey Ann...

I found the road, I found the dumpster & I found the BIG step down. I didn't get the moonrise, it's on the other side of the hill "gettable" from the marina (w bridge in one frame)

That was my first time & I'll go back, thanks again for the tip.

471020413_Vvg8v-M.jpg

471020264_L6dMp-M.jpg
    Rags
    edited February 10, 2009
    I
    t was so good seeing you again! I just can't believe I was able to find you at SFO without the aid of a cell phone! And for once, traffic was actually decent since it was superbowl sunday!

Yeah, me no cell phone OR change for the pay phone! D'oh! Thanks for finding me! :)
    My heart stopped when I didn't see your lens and kicked it down the hill! Time stood still as I watch it roll downward!

Oh, that was totally on me - I mean who leaves a lens lying around on a dark cramped hillside! No worries, everything worked out fine!
    Come back soon! I have other places to show you!!!!

And I want to see them all!

Thanks April thumb.gif

When will you post your shots? I wanna look at your 120 - 300 shots for sure!
    edited February 10, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Fantastic captures, both of you!

This area seems to have no end of good places to shoot. Looks like the weather and the traffic were cooperating. :D

Thanks Steph - I just don't know how one can go wrong shooting in San Fran area. Absolutely the most gorgeous city I've been to.

ann
    edited February 10, 2009
    torags wrote:
    Hey Ann...

I found the road, I found the dumpster & I found the BIG step down. I didn't get the moonrise, it's on the other side of the hill "gettable" from the marina (w bridge in one frame)

Oh, excellent!!!!

Great stuff, let us see the result of the other trips!

ann
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    torags wrote:

I'm glad that you found this place. For the shot that you want, I think south of the bridge works better.

Like this -- photo by stargazer95050's on flickr
  • tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    I think while you were shooting bay bridge, I was shooting the Golden gate...
    edited February 10, 2009
    aktse wrote:
    I'm glad that you found this place. For the shot that you want, I think south of the bridge works better.

Like this -- photo by stargazer95050's on flickr

That is the one I want. I won't get the next moonrise on 3/10; I'll be in southern Utah shooting slots. But April.....

thanks for the link, I'll try to figure the shoot site from that.

edit: The shoot site was from Alameda and it was a moonset. Hmmm... the last time I wanted to spend a night in Oakland was... well.... never.

I'll work on the moon rises. But that shot was awesome
    Rags