*ENTRY* Thread DSS Mega-Challenge #3 (Night)

GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
edited February 24, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Are you ready?!?!?! :barb Welcome to the third Dgrin Sharp Shooters Mega-Challenge!

This contest will run from Monday, February 9 8:00am EST (GMT -5) on through Monday, February 23, 8:00am EST.

Your theme ready for wide open interpretation: Night

Your awesome and gracious judges are:
David Jay
ivar
Ziggy53
ian408
Greensquared

The contest is open to the following eligible photographers ONLY:

AaronNelson
angevin1
cjmchch
coscorrosa
Divamum
dlplumer
flyinggina
JAG
jeffmeyers
jeffreaux2
Karrie McD
KevXman
liflander
Llywellyn
Manfr3d
micalngelo
MikeK
MrsCue
mtmillz
mycaptures
PaulThomasMcKee
pyroPrints.com
sherstone
The Curious Camel

Click here for the DSS Mega-Challenge #3 ENTRY GALLERY

Remember, 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period.
Please read the DGrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules.
All official stuff (entry thread link, etc.) are here.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
Emily
Psalm 62:5-6

Comments

• Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    Your links here aren't active...FYI.

No longer relevant, so I deleted. Thanks. thumb.gif
    Emily

• MrsCueMrsCue Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    *gulp!*
    What am I doing here?
    Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    MrsCue wrote:
    *gulp!*
    What am I doing here?

HA! I was just about to post the same thing, almost verbatim. Not only the Big Kid Playground, but the Big Kid Playground Tournament Finals.

We can go quake in a corner somewhere together, if you like :hide rolleyes1.gif
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    holy crap. "Night"? that is going to be amazing to see the final entries!

Diva & Mrs.C you will be fine.... lets see what that camera can do....

if i can suggest anything it is if you have NR "in-camera" use it.
    Aaron Nelson
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    If you're not familiar with night photography, do some research. There are some real specifics to getting the perfect exposure in camera. This is a total opportunity for exploration and experimentation, and don't get stuck on the theme meaning any one thing. It is WIDE open for interpretation.
    Emily

• TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    Now I'm really punching myself in the head. AHHHHH! Night photography is one of my strong points, if not the only one...

Lol. Congrats to the sharp shooters! Good luck.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • MrsCueMrsCue Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    Laughing.gif it's not the night I was gulping about. Although night photography isn't one of my strong points.
    I saw David Jays name and almost fell off my chair!!!
    His name is BIG in my circle of friends!

Thanks for the advice Aaron :)
    Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector

• LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    Crap. Need an idea ASAP to take advantage of the full moon! *planplanplanplanbegmuseplanplan* :D
    edited February 9, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Crap. Need an idea ASAP to take advantage of the full moon! *planplanplanplanbegmuseplanplan* :D

Not fair! Wahh... that was MY idea (yeah, me and everybody else in the northern hemisphere who's got clear skies tonight!!) rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes

Edited to add: well, so much for that ideal PERFECT orange moon... which I can only see from places where I couldn't stop and take a picture :lol
  • Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    This is going to be an awesome round. I am hoping not to screw this up as bad as I screwed up the last Mega Challenge round :cry Defiantly need to make up for that embarrassment :D

I am looking forward to seeing everyone's entries.

AND, I am looking forward to making my entry...it will be....magical. :D

If I can pull it off ne_nau.gif

GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY!!!!!!!
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
    edited February 11, 2009
    Karrie McD wrote:
    AND, I am looking forward to making my entry...it will be....magical. :D

If I can pull it off ne_nau.gif

I hear you on that! :giggle Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. :D
    edited February 11, 2009
    Well you ladies are well ahead of me - I'm not only feeling woefully out of my depth (how the heck did I manage to get this far?!?!?!) but have zero ideas at the moment. Zip. Nada. Here's hoping something comes to mind soon..... eek7.gifheadscratch.gif
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2009
    I'm sorry to be a bother. But I just uploaded the wrong version of my image into the gallery. Would the administor of the gallery please delete it. The first one, that is. Thank you!
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
    edited February 14, 2009
    And cue the rush to see the first entry. mwink.gif Very cool image, Jeff. thumb.gif
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited February 16, 2009
    :bash thinking....thinking.....thinking.....thinking....headscratch.gif thinking some more....thinking some more.....thinking some more.....
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Hi Joyce.

Could I borrow your wall to bang my head against? Nothing, and I mean nothing, that I have tried so far is working out. And tomorrow night is my personal deadline. Arghhhhhhhh.

The good news, though, is that I now have a dyi grid to use with one of my flashes. So something interesting will come out of this exercise, even if it isn't an entry for the mega challenge.

Back to the drawing board.

Virginia

Email
    edited February 16, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Hi Joyce.

Could I borrow your wall to bang my head against? Nothing, and I mean nothing, that I have tried so far is working out. And tomorrow night is my personal deadline. Arghhhhhhhh.

The good news, though, is that I now have a dyi grid to use with one of my flashes. So something interesting will come out of this exercise, even if it isn't an entry for the mega challenge.

Back to the drawing board.

Virginia
    I broke a hole in it Virginia...but its still usable. I have only made one extremely lousy attempt at shooting a night shot....I went out at midnight and drove an hour to get to a hilltop on the outskirts of Anchorage...the wind was freezing and I wasn't dressed well enough...but managed a few shots off. But the wind proved to be too much vibration for the most part and although the inversion layer of clouds over head made for an interesting glow they are nowhere close for this challenge level.
    eek7.gif Now I am still thinking....thinking....thinking....but I have a glimmer of hope of an idea and will try something tonight......
  • Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    JAG wrote:
    I broke a hole in it Virginia...but its still usable. I have only made one extremely lousy attempt at shooting a night shot....I went out at midnight and drove an hour to get to a hilltop on the outskirts of Anchorage...the wind was freezing and I wasn't dressed well enough...but managed a few shots off. But the wind proved to be too much vibration for the most part and although the inversion layer of clouds over head made for an interesting glow they are nowhere close for this challenge level.
    eek7.gif Now I am still thinking....thinking....thinking....but I have a glimmer of hope of an idea and will try something tonight......

Did you go to this hill?

457062431_gWMYE-L-1.jpg

It was a pretty good view when I was up there in late December, but we kinda got there too late and missed some of the spectacular colors...
    edited February 16, 2009
    Did you go to this hill?

457062431_gWMYE-L-1.jpg

It was a pretty good view when I was up there in late December, but we kinda got there too late and missed some of the spectacular colors...
    I was at Tabletop out by the zoo in Muldoon. You can see some of the images from that night HERE. They are too embarassing as I had never done night shots much.
  • BillyTomBillyTom Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    JAG wrote:
    I was at Tabletop out by the zoo in Muldoon. You can see some of the images from that night HERE. They are too embarassing as I had never done night shots much.

Joyce....I believe you're onto something with JMMed2620, it really is a good shot. thumb.gif You'll get it....Bill
    Bill James
    www.BillJamesPhotography.com
    Attempting to find beauty in the simple things!! :huh
    Nikon D80 - Nikkor 55-200 4-5.6 VR &
    Nikkor 18-70 3.5-4.5
    edited February 16, 2009
    BillyTom wrote:
    Joyce....I believe you're onto something with JMMed2620, it really is a good shot. thumb.gif You'll get it....Bill
    thanks for your vote of confidence. I am heading out in a few minutes to try some other night ideas.
    edited February 22, 2009
    :whew

i cant believe i got one entered... this last few weeks have been insane...

good luck everyone!!!! i cant wait to see the results!!
    Aaron Nelson
    edited February 22, 2009
    Mods:

I have uploaded my MC entry, but note to my horror that the exif date has been stripped - first time this has ever happend when I've uploaded a challenge entry. No clue why it has happened this time although I suspect it was something to do with running it through noiseware, since the previous version displays all exif data correctly rolleyes1.gif

I have thus added a link to an earlier version of the shot where the exif data, including date taken and date modified, is intact. Please let me know if I need to do anything else to avoid a DQ. Thanks!! thumb.gif
  • cjmchchcjmchch Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    I feel incredibly guilty for not getting an image into this my first MEGA opportunity but with working 7 days a week currently and a wedding in 20 days time (mine) I haven't even managed to get the camera out of the house. I have a need to dedicate all my spare time to helping my fiancee to organise things and a few last minute hitches.

Good luck to all the entrants,...and wow, aren't there some beauties!

On Friday I ordered the Canon 5D MkII (doing some work for the owner of a Canon store has its benefits) so hopefully will get the opportunity to put together some images that'll get me into another MEGA round in the future.

Thanks for the opportunity.

Chris
    Canon - Manfrotto - Pocketwizard - Sekonic - Westcott - Hoya - Singh Ray

http://chrismckayphotography.com
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    :whew

i cant believe i got one entered... this last few weeks have been insane...

good luck everyone!!!! i cant wait to see the results!!

Great job, Aaron. I think the title is perfect; it makes you look at the circular lens flares a bit differently! thumb.gif
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
    edited February 22, 2009
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    Great job, Aaron. I think the title is perfect; it makes you look at the circular lens flares a bit differently! thumb.gif

thanks man.... ya ET's spaceship really puts off some flares...hahaaaa
    Aaron Nelson
  • DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    Wow it's getting down to the wire, and there is still 10 possible pictures yet to be entered...Yikes!!
    edited February 23, 2009
    ok, im so glad i had a little time to make some adjustments, sorry Doc or Emily for making you manage another delete out of the gallery...

bowdown.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    Please remove the earlier of my entries. (I know you will do it automatically, but it just feels safer to mention it anyway.)

Mega thanks.

Virginia

Email