Lets Get Nikolai Up to Canada!

geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
edited March 7, 2009 in People
Everyone who has been on dgrin long enough knows Nikolai and his work. I for one think its high time he heads north. We have beautiful women up here too!

Who's interested in Nikolai heading up Toronto way? We would need a studio with lighting equipment (can be rented from Henry's or Vistek). Apparently, Nikolai has connections with some Canadian models :D.

Seriously though, anyone interested and who would attend?
"They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
My Photo Blog
Twitter Feed

Comments

• lisaplisap Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    I would VERY VERY MUCH be interested in Nikolai coming up to Toronto!!!!

-- Lisa P.
  • FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    Um, only if you'll put him on a plane going east after that wings.gif
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    Ok... we've got three people interested so far! We need more!
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    lol...
    Thanks for the vote of confidence guys! thumb.gif

Looks like North Coast/East Coast crowd is way more intersted in "Posing The Light" workshop than my fellow local West Coast gang, especially taking into account that the first attendee is coming all the way from East Coast to SoCal - hi Frank! mwink.gif

At any rate, the Very First Ever PTL class (Simi Valley, CA, June 13-14) is a go already. But I'll be watching this thread, and if we get enough interest in Toronto area - I don't see any reason why not to visit Niagara Falls again at some point in the future :-)

In the mean time I hope we get more than two people here in SoCal, too. There is certain je n'est sais quoi when at least 6 (the more the merrier :-) similarly minded folks get together to do what they like, it's way more fun!
    But even if it's gonna be only us three plus models - I promise I'll compensate the lack of crowd with the proper amount of alcohol from my personal bar :-) mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited February 10, 2009
    I might be able to even convince someone from my 'day' job to attend too. mwink.gif

-- Lisa P.
  • Dave CleeDave Clee Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    Pending the time frame and $$ I would consider attending.

Cheers

Dave
    Still searching for the light...

http://www.daveclee.com

Nikon D3 and a bunch of nikkor gear
    that has added up over the years :wink
  • BCSPhotoguyBCSPhotoguy Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    Great idea! I would be interested. I have a couple connections at Vistek that I am sure i could get needed items and as for space - they may be able to help out... And that very connection would probably want to join in the fun!

Keep me in the loop...
    ...more to come!
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    Hmm, seems what all you folk have forgotten is that I've got dibs here! Nik promised, long ago, that once he had his immigration stuff all sorted he would visit ME! Here in Alberta! Right Nik? :D

rolleyes1.gif
    ann
    edited February 11, 2009
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hmm, seems what all you folk have forgotten is that I've got dibs here! Nik promised, long ago, that once he had his immigration stuff all sorted he would visit ME! Here in Alberta! Right Nik? :D

rolleyes1.gif
    ann
    I did, I did... mwink.gif
    So, what do you think, is there a chance of having a PTL instance in Alberta, too:-)? I know for sure I have a few model friends there, so all we need is a place (hotel would do), some rental lights and some audience :-)
    edited February 11, 2009
    Ann McRae wrote:

rolleyes1.gif
    ann

Start your own thread you hijacker you! :D

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • GrlyGrly Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    Ann McRae wrote:

rolleyes1.gif
    ann

I like this idea!
  • Kyle DKyle D Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    I'd also be interested in a southern Ontario workshop, depending on the time period and money. Any chance at a student discount for University students? mwink.gif
    Kyle D.

Not allowed to enter Henry's alone anymore...

Kyle Derkachenko Photography
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    Wow....looks like lots of interest Nik.....better get a plane booked....we could do one here at my studio on the way through (Mpls) mwink.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • jethibodjethibod Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    I'm in Ottawa, but if I start saving now, I would probably be able to talk the Significant Other into a trip to TO! Please Nik, come to Canada!!! clap.gif
    Jen

Live today like you'll wish you would have 10 years in the future. You only get one life; this is it...live it up. -
    Joy Nash
    edited February 11, 2009
    Kyle D wrote:
    I'd also be interested in a southern Ontario workshop, depending on the time period and money. Any chance at a student discount for University students? mwink.gif
    I was actually thinking about that... But let's see how it goes first, OK:-)
    edited February 11, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    Wow....looks like lots of interest Nik.....better get a plane booked....we could do one here at my studio on the way through (Mpls) mwink.gif
    Yeah, who knew, eh? mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    edited February 11, 2009
    jethibod wrote:
    I'm in Ottawa, but if I start saving now, I would probably be able to talk the Significant Other into a trip to TO! Please Nik, come to Canada!!! clap.gif
    iloveyou.gifrolleyes1.gif
    By TO you mean Toronto or Thousand Oaks, where I am and where the first PTL is gonna be held? mwink.gif
    edited February 11, 2009
    Nikolai is giving me a list of things we will need to make this happen. When its finalized, i'll post it here and if anyone can help out with equipment or connections, please let us know! :D

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • tipsinartoktipsinartok Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    Are these workshops specific to modeling shoots or portraiture in general? I'd love to get into doing maternity and babies, and have been on the lookout for relevant workshops. I couldn't make it to Ontario but would definitely be interested in Alberta (or better yet, BC).
    Please don't be afraid to critique my photos, I'm here to learn and get better.
    Canon XS with kit lens, 50mm f/1.8, 55-250mm f/5-5.6, 420EX external flash
    edited February 11, 2009
    Are these workshops specific to modeling shoots or portraiture in general? I'd love to get into doing maternity and babies, and have been on the lookout for relevant workshops. I couldn't make it to Ontario but would definitely be interested in Alberta (or better yet, BC).

There is some part specific to model posing, but most of the material is about the studio lighting, general portraiture and the postprocessing...
    edited February 11, 2009
    Nikolai is giving me a list of things we will need to make this happen. When its finalized, i'll post it here and if anyone can help out with equipment or connections, please let us know! :D

Cool! :) Thanks for being the instigator!! :D

-- Lisa P.
    edited February 12, 2009
    lisap wrote:
    Cool! :) Thanks for being the instigator!! :D

-- Lisa P.

It's what I'm good at! :D

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • jethibodjethibod Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    iloveyou.gifrolleyes1.gif
    By TO you mean Toronto or Thousand Oaks, where I am and where the first PTL is gonna be held? mwink.gif

Sorry, Nik - TO is Toronto - if you come, I'd totally make the 5 hour drive!!
    Jen

Live today like you'll wish you would have 10 years in the future. You only get one life; this is it...live it up. -
    Joy Nash
    edited February 12, 2009
    jethibod wrote:
    Sorry, Nik - TO is Toronto - if you come, I'd totally make the 5 hour drive!!
    Gotcha, thank you for the clarification! thumb.gif
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2009
    And the Nikolai World Tour wheels are set in motion! mwink.gif

I call dibs on the roadie/groupie position! :D
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
    edited February 12, 2009
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    And the Nikolai World Tour wheels are set in motion! mwink.gif

I call dibs on the roadie/groupie position! :D
    oh come on, Lee, Simi Valley is your backyard mwink.gif
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    oh come on, Lee, Simi Valley is your backyard mwink.gif

Yes, it is, and I'd love to work with you. But I'd get the class for free (and often) if I was a roadie. rolleyes1.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
    edited February 18, 2009
    OK, guys, since organizing such things across the border and a few time zones is not an easy task, I's really like to get an idea of how deep these waters are. I'm sure a fair city of Toronto would have a place to host a few photographers. Lights can be either rented or I'll bring a few mines. And I already got some fairly hot interest from the local models who are very eager to pose in front of you guys. mwink.gif
    That been said, I guss this leaves us with only one big fat open question: when. While I'm fairly open during the summer, I'm sure everybody have at least some restrictions in this respect.
    Hence I have created a little preliminary form, where you can submit *your* personal favorites with regard to dates. I would really appreciate if you can provide your initial responses before March 1st. thumb.gif
    Let's fill out that form, shall we? mwink.gif
  • SammyCatSammyCat Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    Toronto welcomes Nik .... I'm in -- anytime, anywhere.
    edited February 18, 2009
    SammyCat wrote:
    Toronto welcomes Nik .... I'm in -- anytime, anywhere.
    Thanks, Andrea! iloveyou.gif Care to fill out the form, so I have a better idea what anytime is? ;-)mwink.gif