Options

PC / Mac

13»

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited October 25, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:
    Very glad to hear it's going so well for you.

When you're ready there are plenty of tips and shortcuts that we could share that will make the experience even nicer.
    Thank you - Anytime - I am ready to learn more and do more with the Mac clap.gifclap.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2004
    My Powerbook is my best friend (that sounds sad...)
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2004
    damonff wrote:
    My Powerbook is my best friend (that sounds sad...)
    I am about to pull the trigger on a new 12" G4 iBook for my new girlfriend.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Well, I have had my new Mac G5 about 6 weeks now and like I promised, I am here to report on my experience so far... The short version is that it has gone much smoother than I even thought possible. The hardware G5 - 23 inch Cinema display is lovely. The displays always look nice in a store, but only when I compare it side to side with my previous LCDs do I really appreciate how nice the Apple display is.

. thumb.gif
    Oh, good lord! I needed (not) to find this thread. After my last bout with spyware, running scans, repairs, etc., I was ready to say it would be a Mac next time.

Now I have serious Mac envy NOW!

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2004
    Just switch... :)
    ginger_55 wrote:
    After my last bout with spyware, running scans, repairs, etc., I was ready to say it would be a Mac next time. Now I have serious Mac envy NOW!

ROTFL! I switched about six years ago and it has been great ever since. Things just WORK. And the famous price delta is not that great when comparing Apples to apples, so to speak. Rock-bottom Dell's are cheaper, until you throw in a nice monitor, some software, yadda yadda.

iBooks are a great value, as are eMacs (which has a lovely CRT as well, great for photos). My only complaint on my 12" PowerBook is I did not buy the Super Drive. Oh well.

And don't tell my employer, AMD, that I am telling people to buy Macintosh. ;)
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Oh, good lord! I needed (not) to find this thread. After my last bout with spyware, running scans, repairs, etc., I was ready to say it would be a Mac next time.

Now I have serious Mac envy NOW!

g
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif Come on over Ginger - the water's just fine! thumb.gif

• Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif Come on over Ginger - the water's just fine! thumb.gif
    I just upgraded to a SONY box with a sony 19 xbrite lcd monitor that is very impressive. I'm seeing my pictures in a new light. I'm sure it doesn't compare spec wise with the apple display, but this is a really great looking monitor. Cost about $800 at Best Buy. Resist the dark side Ginger. rolleyes1.gif
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2004
    mercphoto wrote:
    My only complaint on my 12" PowerBook is I did not buy the Super Drive.

I bought an 8x Lacie external DVD burner for about $200.00 a few months ago to use with my Powerbook, since the superdrive was only 1X. It has been great and it came with the full version of Toast 6. Something to add on if you have not already done it. It is so much faster than my old drive.
  • Options
    grinnergrinner Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited November 14, 2004
    but then, it's really just a flavor preference.
    I always kinda liked to mix chocolate with vanilla.
    Just felt like more freedom to me.
    CowSig.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Thank you - Anytime - I am ready to learn more and do more with the Mac clap.gifclap.gif

The first thing to make sure of is that you are running the basic maintenance.

You should do the following things regularly:

1)Repair Permissions
    2)Repair the disk directory
    3)Run the UNIX periodic maintenance
    4)Backup

There are many ways to get those things done, but I'm going to recommend only one. It requires that you buy three things.

First,Macaroni. This $9 app will repair your disk permissions and run the UNIX maintenance scripts on a schedule that you set in the background. You actually don't need to set anything, as the default settings are fine. Just install it, enter your serial number and let it go.

Second, get Disk Warrior. This does one thing, and it does it better than any other application. It repairs corruptions to your disk's directory that WILL happen over time. You should run this every 2-4 weeks, just to be safe. This will be your most expensive purchase, at $80. But it's well worth it.

Third, is SuperDuper! a great $20 app for backing up your data to a firewire drive. It will make an exact, bootable copy of your drive so that when your drive fails (they all fail eventually) you only lose the time it takes you to reboot on the other disk. Very nice. It's got lots of other features, too.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:
    Third, is SuperDuper! a great $20 app for backing up your data to a firewire drive. It will make an exact, bootable copy of your drive so that when your drive fails (they all fail eventually) you only lose the time it takes you to reboot on the other disk. Very nice. It's got lots of other features, too.

Those are some good links. I have been using Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable backup copy on a FW drive of my main drive. It works very well and is shareware (don't pay or pay $5.00). A real bargain. CCC reviews/info on versiontracker.
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2004
    I guess I'll stick with the viruses and worms in the dungeon....Wicked.gif[/QUOTE]

Want to chime in here... My first mac was a plus. A tiny little square almost box with black and white screen. But it smiled at me when I started it up.
    I have been hooked on macs since that time (1990). I went from plus to LC, to LCII color screen, with a giant HD of 40 MB.
    But my mac kept smiling at me, it knew me, and I knew it. I could adapt everything I wanted. I could add icons all over the place. I could play and fiddle with it. I took floppies of 400 K over to move stuff.
    I have now just bought the iMac G5, and I love it to death. I use photoshop around 14 hours a day. I say you have to have good shoes and a good bed. You are either in one or in the other.
    I forget my mac in that reasoning.
    I have converted my hubby to a mac. He works as a astro space ingeneer (I think... grin) and was pc only.
    Now we are both happy... on mac.
    Hmm, what was I saying? Photoshop... I used my ibook 12 inch for 3 years to do photostuff, with that little screen that had over time turned white into yellow.

The main reason I love apple mac is not because of the consumer friendlyness of the firm, but because it looks so good, and it works so smoothly. You can have fun with that thing. Consumerfriendlyness is a total different matter. If you ever had a problem with a mac you will know what I am talking about. Apple support is hell. You have to be switched through six automated voices before you actually get a person to speak to you. Here in UK we then are connected with some chap in bangladesh who has the most terrible accent and who probably doesn't understand what I am talking about just as I have no idea what he is talking about.
    If you know what you are doing and know the mac, you are better off with mac.

I love the fact that I still can adapt icons and the playful stuff. We do work on pc's in school, and it is a disaster for me. I have to look for everything.
    The mac is plug and play. (Hah! that is after you checked the voltage).

I believe in the mac as being user friendly and nice to look at.
    It costs more then pc's, but it is worth every penny I say.
    In general, your mac lives a lot longer then a pc.

I firmly believe that every photographer should have a mac.
    I have worked for a newspaper in Belgium for more then ten years, and the graphics companies all have mac.
    WYSIWYG is no lost word with mac.

If you work with pics you need a mac...
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    Those are some good links. I have been using Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable backup copy on a FW drive of my main drive. It works very well and is shareware (don't pay or pay $5.00). A real bargain. CCC reviews/info on versiontracker.

I moved from CCC to SuperDuper. CCC is great, and a great deal, but SuperDuper has taken it a step higher, and is a more polished app. You can even set it up so that you can easily revert to a prior system state (like if you find that 10.3.6 breaks something you need) through a simple restart. Very cool.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2004
    photocat wrote:
    I believe in the mac as being user friendly and nice to look at.
    It costs more then pc's, but it is worth every penny I say.
    In general, your mac lives a lot longer then a pc.

Some interesting articles on the subject:

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/36120.html
    http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/36964.html
    http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/37806.html
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:

Interesting reading material though I am no wizz kid, so there is lot that escapes me. Call me technically challenged.
    Thanks for the links. So the mac is not more expensive then the PC. What a positive note...
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:
    The first thing to make sure of is that you are running the basic maintenance.

You should do the following things regularly:

1)Repair Permissions
    2)Repair the disk directory
    3)Run the UNIX periodic maintenance
    4)Backup

There are many ways to get those things done, but I'm going to recommend only one. It requires that you buy three things.

First,Macaroni. This $9 app will repair your disk permissions and run the UNIX maintenance scripts on a schedule that you set in the background. You actually don't need to set anything, as the default settings are fine. Just install it, enter your serial number and let it go.

Second, get Disk Warrior. This does one thing, and it does it better than any other application. It repairs corruptions to your disk's directory that WILL happen over time. You should run this every 2-4 weeks, just to be safe. This will be your most expensive purchase, at $80. But it's well worth it.

I have purchased and installed Macaroni, and downloaded SuperDuper. I am not quite sure if it will clone to a DVD or multiple DVDs. I am in the process of adding a 2nd internal hard drive to my Power Mac to use for backup. I will order Disk Warrior soon - apparently it will not boot a G5 with the 30 Inch display - mine is 23 inches so this probably is not a problem.

I do have one question tho .... sometimes when I am copying and moving files into different directories I don't think I quite am doing it right.
    I can select files to move by using Apple-A to select all the files in a directory or shift-mouse click the first and last file in a group to select all the files in between. The click and drag should move them to the new directory. But occaisionally, after highlighting several files ( selected) in blue, when I try to click and drag the group, I will only get the single file the cursor is on even though numerous files were selected. I am not sure what is causing this to happen and it is not consistent. But when this starts, I cannt seem to move more than one file at a time in the affected directory. I think there must be something simple I am overlooking, but I can't seem to find it. Any suggestions?

The three articles you linked were very interesting. One point the first article pointed out was that in similarly equipped high end desk top machines - MAC versus Wintel - Dual G5 vs Xeon - The Wintel boxes were more expensive. This was exactly my experience when I began shopping for a dual processor high end desk top image editing computer. That was what first started me looking again at an Apple - I had thought they were more expensive - but when compared - Apple to Dell - I did not find that to be the case.
    One of the things that really irritated me was Adobe's requiring activation iin WIN XP. I lost several hours of work when Photoshop in Win XP would SUDDENLY shut down because it could not find the activation coding and any editing I had done was also lost - AND I did buy and own the activation coding - some software glitch I am sure but annoying big time . Macs, of course, do not require the activation coding for Photoshop.

Thanks for your suggestions. I am interested in any others you may think I need to be aware of.

• Options
    edited November 14, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    But occaisionally, after highlighting several files ( selected) in blue, when I try to click and drag the group, I will only get the single file the cursor is on even though numerous files were selected. I am not sure what is causing this to happen and it is not consistent. But when this starts, I cannt seem to move more than one file at a time in the affected directory. I think there must be something simple I am overlooking, but I can't seem to find it. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure what's causing the problem, could be a corrupted pref, bad permissions, or even a wanky mouse.

My one suggestion is to copy/paste. Simple type cmd-c to copy the files, navigate to where you're going and then hit cmd-v to pase.

What view are you in for the finder window? There are times when being in column view can be a problem when deleting files--and that is when you've got the preview activated. The finder thinks the file is open (I guess it is, really) and won't allow deleting it. If you go to another view or close the preview thing, it'll delete just fine.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2004
    more questions for the ages
    cletus wrote:
    Ahhh, a question for the ages. One of the true classics, right up there with

• Canon or Nikon?
    • Film or digital?
    • Dave or Sammy?
    • Less filling or tastes great?
    Although I'm a PC guy, for what you've described I'd say go with a Mac. I'll have to defer to someone else for the spec you would want in a Mac for photo work.

:lurk

d00d you left out:

• ginger or mary ann?
    • wilma or betty?
    • betty or veronica?
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2004
    andy wrote:
    d00d you left out:

• ginger or mary ann?
    • wilma or betty?
    • betty or veronica?

Geez, and I thought it was:

virus/spyware ridden mess or utopian bliss
    highly critical security flaws or tightly protected OS
    frustratingly poor user interface or pleasant user experience.

But I guess that's just me ;)
    Moderator Emeritus