Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS#20 (Chaos or Serenity - Exclusive Black & White Challenge)

GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
edited March 14, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge #20
Welcome to Round #20 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges. This challenge is open to any Dgrin member. It will run from Monday, February 23, 08:00am, EST time (GMT -5) to Monday, March 9, 08:00am, EST time (GMT -5).

The topic ready for your interpretation: Chaos or Serenity - Exclusive Black & White Challenge

Getting your viewer to fully experience the emotive message of an image can leave a powerful and lasting impression. Sometimes photographs can be uncomfortable to view, and others make you want to hang them on your wall for escapism during times of stress. These themes can be expressed literally and obviously, or in a more abstract way. Some may even be humorous. Tell a tale with this one and make your image memorable…

PLEASE NOTE: Your entry MUST be in black and white, so pay attention to your black and white conversion if you're shooting in color (even most P&S cameras have the ability to shoot in black and white). Do a little research if you don't currently have a sound method for achieving optimal conversion results (Dgrin's own Tutorials section is a great resource!). Color and toned images will be disqualified.

Your Judges:
Flyinggina (Winner of DSS Round #18)
Greensquared (Guest Judge)

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a Smugmug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page: Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your exif will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules, there have been some slight modifications.<!-- / message --><!-- sig --><!-- / message --><!-- sig --><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
Emily
Psalm 62:5-6

Comments

• Options
    BillyTomBillyTom Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    I thought that only DSS#19 was closed to Mega DSS#3 entrants, and then this one would be opened to all....headscratch.gif
    Bill James
    www.BillJamesPhotography.com
    Attempting to find beauty in the simple things!! :huh
    Nikon D80 - Nikkor 55-200 4-5.6 VR &
    Nikkor 18-70 3.5-4.5
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2009
    BillyTom wrote:
    I thought that only DSS#19 was closed to Mega DSS#3 entrants, and then this one would be opened to all....headscratch.gif

Sorry, missed that in my copy and paste. Fixed.
    Emily

• Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    pls, just a little itsy bitsy bit of tone?....:D how about some grey?

j/k i know what the answer is....thumb.gif

"shut-up, sit-down, and use B&W conversion"rolleyes1.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    pls, just a little itsy bitsy bit of tone?....:D how about some grey?

j/k i know what the answer is....thumb.gif

"shut-up, sit-down, and use B&W conversion"rolleyes1.gif

HA! There are SOME of us out here who are dancing up and down in joy that's BW, because I luuurrrrveee it (even if I'm not that good at conversions yet.) Great practice!

And "chaos" is something that's really, really, REALLY easy to find in this house..... biggrinbounce2.gif
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2009
    but seriously, i would love to see a challenge with B&W allowing some slight tones....

thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    And "chaos" is something that's really, really, REALLY easy to find in this house..... biggrinbounce2.gif

And I've been sitting here all day wondering how I'm going to photograph the inside of my closet. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2009
    but seriously, i would love to see a challenge with B&W allowing some slight tones....

thumb.gif

Oh yeah? I'd love to go on a cruise...
    Emily

• Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009

I think you've been hanging around Doc too long... lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2009
    Anyone know how to contact the entire Firefly cast for a photoshoot? mwink.gif
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:

rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

even one would work if you could get access to the old set (if it still exists that is)
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:

I'm sure it could be done, but not in 2 weeks!

I mean, unless you have a really big contact in the biz :D
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:

If you figure that one out, can I go pleaseeeeee?
    I just wanna look mwink.gif
    and my son and nephews would think I was the coolest.
  • Options
    GirGir Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    If you figure that one out, can I go pleaseeeeee?
    I just wanna look mwink.gif
    and my son and nephews would think I was the coolest.

Take me with you, but I think I might pass out due to complete and utter awesomeness. I heart Firefly/Serenity. :D
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:

what the heck is a firefly cast? headscratch.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2009

:jose not funny. not funny at all miss funny pants.

:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:

Now there's an idea lol3.gif

Through the studio, and you might ask Nik - he may have done something for someone over there... mwink.gif
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2009
    :jose not funny. not funny at all miss funny pants.

:D

Actually...you did just give me an idea...mwink.gif
    Emily

• Options
    edited February 23, 2009
    what the heck is a firefly cast? headscratch.gif

I'm with you - I just had to google it....

I assume this is the one you mean?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly_(TV_series

(Diva, amazed at how Pop Culture Illiterate she sometimes is....)
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2009
    divamum wrote:

That would be it (fixed linky). :D

I haven't had cable in about 10 years, so I'm way out of touch. My geek friends keep me in the loop on the truly important things, though. :giggle

...but I'm now in fear of a "Funny Pants or Serious Pants" challenge in the future and too distracted to geek-out to my fullest ability. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    ...but I'm now in fear of a "Funny Pants or Serious Pants" challenge in the future and too distracted to geek-out to my fullest ability. mwink.gif

:lol rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2009
    divamum wrote:

I assume this is the one you mean?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly_(TV_series

(Diva, amazed at how Pop Culture Illiterate she sometimes is....)

I probably wouldn't have a clue what it was if my nephews hadn't got me hooked on it a couple of years ago. I was in the hospital for a month and the nurses, drugs and DVD player were my best friends. I watched the series over and over.

All this talk about Serenity/Firefly has me in the mood to re-watch it all... time to get out the DVD's. :D Maybe I'll find inspiration for the challenge in there somewhere.
  • Options
    BobbyMarshallBobbyMarshall Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    You could try sneaking into the set and pulling the fire alarm..
    Canon 50D | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS
    2x White Lightning x1600 | 580 EXII
    Sekonic L-358 | 2x Pocket Wizard II | TC-80N3 Remote Shutter

• Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    We never saw Firefly when it was on, but a friend gave it to us on DVD. Love it. So sad it didn't last. The movie's not as good as the series.
  • Options
    300m300m Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    very intresting. I am still trying to figure out how to get a shot of my daughters room (13 in 2 weeks) with out getting myself killed. Looks like a bomb blewup in there and she says that is cleanne_nau.gif . When I was talking talking about to Curious Camel last night mu daughter hollered out I heard that. It might be a mess, but I am not deaf and you cannot come in! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2009
    ha! I was taking pix of my daughter's room last night.... couldn't post because our modem appears tp have finally died (this from my phone), but watch this space.... rofl
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2009
    My son suggested I take a picture of him, because he finds serenity in chaos. I told him I had already thought of him. He is chaos.
  • Options
    dreamcometruedreamcometrue Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    Conversion
    Hey guys....strangers, I havent entered in a while and need to get back in. I love the theme, black and white photos are my FAVORITE. Now, I havent done much with conversion of black and white. Does anyone have any suggestions for a website that has good info on conversion? Thank for the help and cant wait to see the photos for this one:D
    Artistic Design Photography LLC
    http://www.adesignphotography.com
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2009
    Hey guys....strangers, I havent entered in a while and need to get back in. I love the theme, black and white photos are my FAVORITE. Now, I havent done much with conversion of black and white. Does anyone have any suggestions for a website that has good info on conversion? Thank for the help and cant wait to see the photos for this one:D

first tell us what tool you will be using for the conversion... if its LR2 or PS i can suggest some things...
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    That's something I am curious to as well.

Right now I use LR2 and CS3, I've always just used the "convert to grayscale" then played around with my values to get it to look good. Are there free plug ins or downloads or something that do something different to the photo to convert it to B&W? If so, what does it do differently...better...worse?
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2009
    That's something I am curious to as well.

Right now I use LR2 and CS3, I've always just used the "convert to grayscale" then played around with my values to get it to look good. Are there free plug ins or downloads or something that do something different to the photo to convert it to B&W? If so, what does it do differently...better...worse?

TONS of presets and plugins. Loads of 'em - just google "lightroom presets". And loads of them are free. Also, LR has those nice sliders to play with the various colour channels in greyscale - have found it very useful :)