DSS #19 unofficial FEEDBACK thread

TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
edited February 26, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
here is the official gallery to give your C&C for DSS#19: http://challenges.smugmug.com/gallery/7314703_DURRP#471646319_YbTsT

This unofficial feedback thread is a catch-all of sorts, lets make it happen:thumb

This thread is:
  • a place to post a list of your top ten favorites. (be heard, and let everyone know what images moved you.)
  • a place to post your "the making of my image"
  • a place to ask someone "how did they do that?"(for us all to see:D )
Aaron Nelson

Comments

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    This one's for Divamum and anyone else who wants to know how to peel an ediface
    First off, I had my doubts about entering this challenge because I could not come up with an idea. With no snow, anything in natural surroundings was in its ugly suit so I needed to think up something for contrived. I remember seeing a photo in an exhibit I was in that had a skyscraper in it with a peeling ediface. I though it looked really cool and thought I might like to some day try that. Well, some day came. I went into downtown New Hope and photographed a church steeple. I exposed for the building because I wanted the sky white so that I could easily select and remove the sky during post processing. I thought that might make it easier to work with the peeling effect.

So, here's what I started with:

477974426_7r28F-S.jpg

I was able to easily isolate the church and remove the background. Then I did a little cleanup work and cropped it.

479495204_oySuL-S.jpg

It needed some more "oomph" so I applied the perspective correction tool to it to make the building look a little taller. I called the layer this "straight". I duplicated the layer and called the duplicate copy "peeled".

Then the fun started!

I clicked the "peeled" layer to make it active, then selected Edit > Transform > Warp and just began playing with the tool to make it look like the ediface was peeling off. It took several tries to get it right.

Now I had to figure out how to the differentiate the two layers. I decided to play with Saturation levels. I made the "straight" layer active and boosted the saturation just enough to give it a slightly funky look. Next thing I did was to try and find some complementary way to contrast the peeled area. Per suggestions from this forum, I made the "peeled" layer active and desaturated by using the Channel Mixer. I liked the way the default Orange filter looked so I stuck with that.

So far, all we have are two layers with a transparent background. :whew

479499487_8VDYz-S.jpg

Now I needed a sky. My gradient sky and floating faces were a bit over-contrived so I needed to go another route. More on how I did that at the end. I found a blue sky from another photo and add it as a layer to that photo to see how it looked. It looked sort of ...ne_nau.gif.

Then I remembered reading a "how to" thread by Sean (sherstone) on how he created that fabulous photo of the person in the fetal position and how he used different elements to create what he wanted. I grabbed my camera and ran outside. It was cloudy and gloomy. Perfect! So I took several photos of the sky and found three that I liked well enough to blend and make into one image:

477497144_HsEUH-Th.jpg477497283_pPvSm-Th.jpg477497444_dZGFM-Th.jpg

This was the result:

479512971_z7NYr-S.jpg

It still was missing something so I found this tutorial on line to have be add light rays to the photo: http://photoshoptutorials.ws/photoshop-tutorials/photo-manipulation/ray-of-light.html

And this was the final result:

479515820_g5Mmw-S.jpg

I flattened the cloud image, converted it to B&W, and then copied it as a layer into the church tower image. I moved it around until the rays looked right and here's what I had:

479517743_gEDHi-S.jpg

It still didn't look right, so I flipped it horizonally:

479519730_YDxen-S.jpg

Hmmm...better but still missing something. I did a web search for PS brushes that are shaped like birds and found some, so I added some birds, dodged the front of the part of the church that faced the ray of light and burned the part that faced away from the light and there you have it!

477421018_Jjbp8-S-3.jpg

Now, to give this a shot of steroids, you can use a gradient background layer for the sky, find a mannequin face and add it as a layer to the photo. Then set the blending mode of the mannequin face to "Luminosity" to get a creepy-psychedelic-contrived-look-on-steroids to the picture. rolleyes1.gifAnd don't forget to play with the saturation levels on the "peeled" and "straight" layers.

475903112_CTvKi-S.jpg

That's it! And what a trip this has been. I've never tried anything like this with PS before. And yes, I had fun. :D
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    wings.gif yes!
    Aaron Nelson
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    This one's for Divamum and anyone else who wants to know how to peel an ediface

Wow, I almost understood that! (really that is a compliment)
    I have tried playing around with my nephews PS and have been shown how to use Gimp, but it has all been like a foreign language. Thanks for clearing it up some.
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    Wow Linda,

I knew you did a lot of hard work on your image but now I see that it was much more work
    than I thought.

The result is absolutely fantastic and this is from far my #1 favorite of the contest.

Congratulations!
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    First off, I had my doubts about entering this challenge because I could not come up with an idea. With no snow, anything in natural surroundings was in its ugly suit so I needed to think up something for contrived. I remember seeing a photo in an exhibit I was in that had a skyscraper in it with a peeling ediface. I though it looked really cool and thought I might like to some day try that. Well, some day came. I went into downtown New Hope and photographed a church steeple. I exposed for the building because I wanted the sky white so that I could easily select and remove the sky during post processing. I thought that might make it easier to work with the peeling effect.

So, here's what I started with:

477974426_7r28F-S.jpg

I was able to easily isolate the church and remove the background. Then I did a little cleanup work and cropped it.

479495204_oySuL-S.jpg

It needed some more "oomph" so I applied the perspective correction tool to it to make the building look a little taller. I called the layer this "straight". I duplicated the layer and called the duplicate copy "peeled".

Then the fun started!

I clicked the "peeled" layer to make it active, then selected Edit > Transform > Warp and just began playing with the tool to make it look like the ediface was peeling off. It took several tries to get it right.

Now I had to figure out how to the differentiate the two layers. I decided to play with Saturation levels. I made the "straight" layer active and boosted the saturation just enough to give it a slightly funky look. Next thing I did was to try and find some complementary way to contrast the peeled area. Per suggestions from this forum, I made the "peeled" layer active and desaturated by using the Channel Mixer. I liked the way the default Orange filter looked so I stuck with that.

So far, all we have are two layers with a transparent background. :whew

479499487_8VDYz-S.jpg

Now I needed a sky. My gradient sky and floating faces were a bit over-contrived so I needed to go another route. More on how I did that at the end. I found a blue sky from another photo and add it as a layer to that photo to see how it looked. It looked sort of ...ne_nau.gif.

Then I remembered reading a "how to" thread by Sean (sherstone) on how he created that fabulous photo of the person in the fetal position and how he used different elements to create what he wanted. I grabbed my camera and ran outside. It was cloudy and gloomy. Perfect! So I took several photos of the sky and found three that I liked well enough to blend and make into one image:

477497144_HsEUH-Th.jpg477497283_pPvSm-Th.jpg477497444_dZGFM-Th.jpg

This was the result:

479512971_z7NYr-S.jpg

It still was missing something so I found this tutorial on line to have be add light rays to the photo: http://photoshoptutorials.ws/photoshop-tutorials/photo-manipulation/ray-of-light.html

And this was the final result:

479515820_g5Mmw-S.jpg

I flattened the cloud image, converted it to B&W, and then copied it as a layer into the church tower image. I moved it around until the rays looked right and here's what I had:

479517743_gEDHi-S.jpg

It still didn't look right, so I flipped it horizonally:

479519730_YDxen-S.jpg

Hmmm...better but still missing something. I did a web search for PS brushes that are shaped like birds and found some, so I added some birds, dodged the front of the part of the church that faced the ray of light and burned the part that faced away from the light and there you have it!

477421018_Jjbp8-S-3.jpg

Now, to give this a shot of steroids, you can use a gradient background layer for the sky, find a mannequin face and add it as a layer to the photo. Then set the blending mode of the mannequin face to "Luminosity" to get a creepy-psychedelic-contrived-look-on-steroids to the picture. rolleyes1.gifAnd don't forget to play with the saturation levels on the "peeled" and "straight" layers.

475903112_CTvKi-S.jpg

That's it! And what a trip this has been. I've never tried anything like this with PS before. And yes, I had fun. :D

This is facinating and I love the final result.

Peace,gail
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    Oooo.... thanks Linda!

And thanks Aaron for starting a thread - official or not, I've missed these follow up discussions!!! thumb.gif
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Oooo.... thanks Linda!

And thanks Aaron for starting a thread - official or not, I've missed these follow up discussions!!! thumb.gif

What she said!!!

Linda that is so fascinating to me, even in my wildest dreams, I don't think I could pull something like that off. I really like how you put together your final imagethumb.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    Here is what I have to say about my entry:

While I truly appreciate a good PS work like Linda's, I prefer to stay with photos
    taken rather than created.

I also prefer by far live photos rather than studio photos - I don't have a studio,
    and I don't think I'll ever have one :)

This being said, I've been thinking every day for the past 2 weeks about the "contrived" theme,
    looking for the best subject to describe it.

I shot, artificial fruit and vegetables, mannequins, funny sculptures, decorations, etc, etc.

Some days ago, I suddenly saw 2 mimes in a plaza, and I knew I'd found my subject!.
    They where so nice and "posed" for me for few seconds (or less).

The one with the star painted eye, was more catchy, but the shots where far from being
    professionally done, or good for a contest.

I had to crop them a lot to get only the head and focus on the star and I also had to change
    the original cluttered background.

I also thought to use selective colors to emphasize the contrived elements; his eyes and the red lips,
    especially because he already had his face painted white.

I sharpened his beard and some hair details to give a more "natural" look to the non-contrived elements.

With a lot of help from the forum ( thank you so, so much), I chose the best version and improved the
    photo in a cleaner, more presentable manner.

I really liked the result and I was happy to see that others liked it too, so I posted it.

This is it:

477977409_jY68p-S.jpg
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
    edited February 23, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Oooo.... thanks Linda!

and ive missed doing collages with pasted copies of my favorites from the round...
    its just not as neat to write them out within a post...
    i remember many challenges where i was not selected but a few people had my image in their top tens...and that gave me the pick-up i needed...
    the collage is a easy form to express ones favorites without needing to write too much...(so for me that works great)

but somebody complained and our right-clicking was banned...deal.gif
    does, anybody have a solution?

anyway, maybe this thread will never be what it was in the past but will serve a new and maybe better purpose.... just as Linda and many others have done before...helping us understand what goes into a image!!!!!

for me i like to read about ones choice in adjustments just as much-so as reading about fancy layering and maskings.... i like to get into the mind of the creation, or Vision!

comments anyone?

btw, thanks for the PMs...just note a lot of what has been pm'd to me would be better on the forum because the comments ive read would/could do us all good...
    Aaron Nelson
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    does, anybody have a solution?

Can't you just embed the thumbs? E.g., 475540513_dTQxa-Th.jpg? (Used the "insert image" button and copied the image URL from the contest gallery, editing it like I do my own photo links. thumb.gif)
  • GrlyGrly Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    Oh poop! I just came here and saw this thread and I was all excited to go make my "top 10 collage"... I didn't realize that someone had complained! :(

Well, either way, these threads are still awesome! I love to see all the work that went into the entries. Amazing!
    edited February 23, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Can't you just embed the thumbs? E.g., 475540513_dTQxa-Th.jpg? (Used the "insert image" button and copied the image URL from the contest gallery, editing it like I do my own photo links. thumb.gif)

Now THAT is an elegant solution.

My only remaining question: how do you make collages (now or in the past) without downloading them to your own hard drive and creating them in ::insert software of choice::? headscratch.gif
    edited February 23, 2009
    photo-bug wrote:

While I truly appreciate a good PS work like Linda's, I prefer to stay with photos taken rather than created.

your missing out....creating a work with a vision is most rewarding, even if nobody likes it i have found to enjoy it even more sometimes after the comments are long gone...
    Aaron Nelson
    edited February 23, 2009
    divamum wrote:

My only remaining question: how do you make collages (now or in the past) without downloading them to your own hard drive and creating them in ::insert software of choice::? headscratch.gif

teach me too!
    Aaron Nelson
    edited February 23, 2009
    teach me too!

Me three!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • GrlyGrly Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    Let's see if this works! My top ten in random order:

475540513_dTQxa-Th.jpg475617872_Zsgq4-Th.jpg476202833_pqpVX-Th.jpg476894732_N95XH-Th.jpg

478180082_MJc8x-Th.jpg478651406_rXKxL-Th.jpg479230474_oAxeV-Th.jpg479107717_njixN-Th.jpg

477418484_ihDXy-Th.jpg477333930_sH9a9-Th.jpg
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    divamum wrote:

Why would you not download them and then collage them?
    tom wise
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    You can go here: http://bighugelabs.com/flickr/mosaic.php to make a mosaic of all your favorites without having to download them to your computer. You just use the URL of the image (the one you'd use for linking in a forum).

Here's my top 9
    mosaic1563755.jpg

(Here is the thumb/link to that mosaic because that url will eventually change)
    mosaic1563755.jpg
    ~ Lisa
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    Grly did exactly what I had in mind. thumb.gif
    edited February 23, 2009
    My Faves
    Hope this works.... Here were my favorites in the order they were submitted

475287564_WaJLP-Th-1.jpg475540513_dTQxa-Th.jpg475617872_Zsgq4-Th.jpg
    476202833_pqpVX-Th.jpg476894732_N95XH-Th.jpg477042009_Tzpfd-Th.jpg
    477418484_ihDXy-Th.jpg477977362_aaDfS-Th.jpg478180082_MJc8x-Th.jpg
    Karin

edited February 23, 2009
    Wooohoo! Multiple elegant solutions!!!!!

clap.gifclapclap.gif
    edited February 23, 2009
    ahhh...smart people...thank you for guiding me to a solutionbowdown.gif

here are my favs.. order of entry

472608583_fje4n-Th-1.jpg

477333930_sH9a9-Th.jpg

477977362_aaDfS-Th.jpg

478048832_zhKrz-Th.jpg

478651406_rXKxL-Th.jpg

478785668_bsUZJ-Th.jpg

478895028_X9Wk8-Th.jpg

478917830_2aCmZ-Th.jpg

478993131_3H6L4-Th.jpg

479072820_WJBGj-Th.jpg
    Aaron Nelson
    edited February 23, 2009
    ive got a question for everybody...
    would its seem weird for me to state this: ....

there is no need to thank everyone everytime for "including" them in a top ten?

if thats weird, then let me just stat this.... if im ever ever included in someones top favs...just know im thankful, and im not going to post ...

is that strange of me?
    Aaron Nelson
    edited February 23, 2009
    my other thought... i made a top ten of images that i felt moved/affected me... does that mean the others are less? ofcourse not...

i wanted to make a statement for the sake of Art... right?

so that also should be assumbed by me and everyone too.... right?

nobody is forming clicks , sp? clicques? whatever////
    Aaron Nelson
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    My turn!
    My 10 faves in no particular order:

471646319_YbTsT-Th-1.jpg475617872_Zsgq4-Th.jpg476202833_pqpVX-Th.jpg
    476894732_N95XH-Th.jpg477418484_ihDXy-Th.jpg477977409_jY68p-Th.jpg

478651406_rXKxL-Th.jpg477333930_sH9a9-Th.jpg472608583_fje4n-Th-1.jpg

479230474_oAxeV-Th.jpg
  • BillyTomBillyTom Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    Here's mine.....no particular order...

473229111_4RnRb-Th-1.jpg475287564_WaJLP-Th-1.jpg475540513_dTQxa-Th.jpg477333930_sH9a9-Th.jpg
    477977362_aaDfS-Th.jpg478651406_rXKxL-Th.jpg478917830_2aCmZ-Th.jpg479072820_WJBGj-Th.jpg

Great job all!!:D
    Bill James
    www.BillJamesPhotography.com
    Attempting to find beauty in the simple things!! :huh
    Nikon D80 - Nikkor 55-200 4-5.6 VR &
    Nikkor 18-70 3.5-4.5
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    Aaron, great job on starting this thread! I always enjoyed looking through the collages and "How-I-Did-Its" before the submittal system changed. Thanks for starting up the tradition again! thumb.gif

As for thanking everyone that puts your photo in their top 10, I agree... the thread might get overly cumbersome quickly, BUT... (there's always a "but" rolleyes1.gif ) now that I've said that, I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone that has put my image in their faves! I'm truly ecstatic right now about making so many top 10's! So much so that if it wasn't already 10pm and/or I had gotten more than 3 hours sleep last night, I would be grabbing my camera and heading out to get something for DSS #20 right now!

OK... I've gushed enough, time for sleep!

My photo was pretty simple, but if anyone's interested in the "nuts & bolts" of it, I would be happy to share tomorrow...
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    Top Ten!
    BillyTom - Orchid Sprite
    bfjr - An Unatural Position
    karinaboese - Sign of Spring
    psenior1 - lonely valentine
    cornfu - "death metal"
    ic4u - Gifted
    Gir - Handmade
    Michael Atkins - Frozen Sun Setting
    sdways01 - "Natural Winter"
    darkdragon - Man's Encroachment

There you have it folks!

Thanks dragon for including my valentine bouquet! I really think we should thank my husband... but I took the picture!
  • 300m300m Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    Excellent Thread Arron! I do like the nuts and bolts of how thing are done and why. Thanks for starting the thread and thanks to Linda for the description. My shot was straight from the camera as the kittens were besides themselves trying to get to that plant we had just brought home. I am at work and cannot do a top 10 as it blocks stuff like that here., but later tonight I can.
  • psenior1psenior1 Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    Great thread and some very nice entries, first time I've entered the DSS comp (normally I stick to the mini challenges) but my favs in no particular order are -

472492119_yD7tk-Th-1.jpg475287564_WaJLP-Th-1.jpg475617872_Zsgq4-Th.jpg

477072992_AkdyN-Th.jpg477977362_aaDfS-Th.jpg478651406_rXKxL-Th.jpg
    478993131_3H6L4-Th.jpg479061349_qgE2C-Th.jpg478638065_uKaCb-Th.jpg478690050_D64yx-Th.jpg
    website - http://www.snrmac.com
    facebook - my facebook page please LIKE me!