DSS #19 unofficial FEEDBACK thread

2»

Comments

• BobbyMarshallBobbyMarshall Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    I enjoyed the competition, it was my first time trying anything like this. What I enjoyed most, was having a goal in mind of what to look for, and the fact that is got me out shooting something. I have been unsuccessful in coming up with any interesting ideas by myself for a theme to shoot for. I know by entering these competitions here at dgrin, my vision will broaden; and that is my main reward I look for in this challenge and future ones.

As far as my favorites in DSS#19; I liked them all..

good luck.thumb.gif
    Canon 50D | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS
    2x White Lightning x1600 | 580 EXII
    Sekonic L-358 | 2x Pocket Wizard II | TC-80N3 Remote Shutter

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    I enjoyed the competition, it was my first time trying anything like this. What I enjoyed most, was having a goal in mind of what to look for, and the fact that is got me out shooting something. I have been unsuccessful in coming up with any interesting ideas by myself for a theme to shoot for. I know by entering these competitions here at dgrin, my vision will broaden; and that is my main reward I look for in this challenge and future ones.

As far as my favorites in DSS#19; I liked them all..

good luck.thumb.gif

great attitude & thoughts! you will find in time you have a bunch of great images that otherwise you would have never done...(thats my case anyway)

good luck, see you next round too
    Aaron Nelson
  • ilbcnuilbcnu Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    I think this challenge was the most fun my daughter and I have had in weeks!! She isn't allowed yet to wear alot of makeup so when I asked her to model I said she could do any makeup she wanted on 1/2 her face. Suddenly I had a willing and happy model!! She even asked and let me help her with eyeliner! We laughed and redid as going for contrived not halloweenish. I had an interesting lesson on what was "the in look" for eyeshadow at middle school.
    It took a couple of hours messing with lights as still don't have those down and heated the heck out of our living room as they are hot lights but learned from the past threads- brought her out away from the background (thanks Divamum as that is a throw from Ross just as you mentioned in previous thread). Watched for triangle shadows under nose and tried to use a hairlight as well as a reflector.
    Even got to use a new diffuser on the flash!
    Thanks to all who are always willing to help & comment! And since this years resolution was to enter all these challenges to broaden my knowledge and bring out some creativity thank you to anyone who comments or picks one of my entries as thier top picks!!
    Amanda
    It is never to late to become what you might have been.
    www.behindthezoom.com
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    Seriously nice set of photos! Thanks to everyone that included me in their top 10. Unfourtunatly I didnt make the final cut :cry I thought I had a good idea.

I figured I would share my make shift setup for my shot though. Thanks for looking

It included a bag of potting soil from HD, a trip through the organic section, a molested house plant, and a giant mess:D

lighting was a 550EX on camera bounced off the ceiling and a 430EX camera left shot with a 70-200 2.8 IS

IMG_4447.jpg

And here is the final result
    IMG_4420-2.jpg

I guess I was going for naturally contrived.
  • digidronedigidrone Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    I agree 100% with Mr. Marshall. Although this forum is quite intimidating, everything and everyone has been very informative.
    I am looking forward to these "challenges" simply for the constructiveness(?) that is offered by everyone.
    Thank you again!
    Royce
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    Thumbnails! Yay for thumbnails!!! clap.gif

I admit that being preoccupied with MC3 I didn't follow #19 quite as closely as usual, but it was kind of neat to come to the photos with less of the backstory in mind (but WITHOUT the pressure of officially being a judge!! :D)

As usual, more great pictures than 10 - especially since this was a very VERY diverse group of pictures - but here, in no particular order, my picks. Great job everybody!!

472608583_fje4n-Ti-1.jpg475287564_WaJLP-Ti-1.jpg475617872_Zsgq4-Ti.jpg476202833_pqpVX-Ti.jpg477418484_ihDXy-Ti.jpg

477977362_aaDfS-Ti.jpg477977409_jY68p-Ti.jpg478917830_2aCmZ-Ti.jpg478180082_MJc8x-Ti.jpg479072820_WJBGj-Ti.jpg
    edited February 24, 2009
    digidrone wrote:
    I agree 100% with Mr. Marshall. Although this forum is quite intimidating, everything and everyone has been very informative.
    I am looking forward to these "challenges" simply for the constructiveness(?) that is offered by everyone.
    Thank you again!
    Royce

Just a few short months ago, I was the new kid in town. Totally intimidated, convinced I could only be a lurker and.... people have been AMAZINGLY supportive. They prodded me to join in (at the time much against my better judgement), have nurtured my burgeoning skills and newly-discovered passion for photography and I'm 100% hooked (and very grateful!)!! You could'nt find a more generous group of teachers and cohorts - which is why I'm here to stay! (Yeah, you're stuck with me deal.gifrolleyes1.gif)
    edited February 24, 2009
    ilbcnu wrote:
    I think this challenge was the most fun my daughter and I have had in weeks!! She isn't allowed yet to wear alot of makeup so when I asked her to model I said she could do any makeup she wanted on 1/2 her face. Suddenly I had a willing and happy model!! She even asked and let me help her with eyeliner! We laughed and redid as going for contrived not halloweenish. I had an interesting lesson on what was "the in look" for eyeshadow at middle school.
    It took a couple of hours messing with lights as still don't have those down and heated the heck out of our living room as they are hot lights but learned from the past threads- brought her out away from the background (thanks Divamum as that is a throw from Ross just as you mentioned in previous thread). Watched for triangle shadows under nose and tried to use a hairlight as well as a reflector.
    Even got to use a new diffuser on the flash!
    Thanks to all who are always willing to help & comment! And since this years resolution was to enter all these challenges to broaden my knowledge and bring out some creativity thank you to anyone who comments or picks one of my entries as thier top picks!!

Ha! Let's hear it for cheapo backgrounds AND cooperative daughters (how old is yours? I have to resort to similar forms of "bribery" to get a cooperative model....!!)

Very fun shot :)
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    my other thought... i made a top ten of images that i felt moved/affected me... does that mean the others are less? ofcourse not...

i wanted to make a statement for the sake of Art... right?

so that also should be assumbed by me and everyone too.... right?

nobody is forming clicks , sp? clicques? whatever////

I feel that way to Aaron and I am so happy someone finally said err wrote it. I also agree with your previous statement but I worry so much about showing someone the courtesy of thank you because it's says to me hey, thanks for commenting, suggesting, etc.

Ya know what I mean?

Peace, gail
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    digidrone wrote:
    Thank you again!
    Royce

I felt the same way to. So much talent here it's overwhelming at times but...I have the most awesome brother. He is younger than I am and somehow was blessed with a multitude of patience and wisdom for someone his age. He has been a constant encouragement to me throughout my learning experience. He finally got me to the point of posting and being involved with this wonderful group of folks. Folks isn't just this group but Smugmug as a whole. The owners and moderators along with our fellow photographers is the best forum and group of people I have met.

Sit back, relax and enjoy the ride. It's a blast:D

Peace, gail
  • DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    Hey Everyone!! Great Challenge as always! Unfortunately on this challenge I just couldn't get a good idea to come to me, and I was running out of time, so I don't think my shot (Still Tides) fits the theme as well as something else could have. But hey it's all a learning experience right!! Im really stoked about the next theme! Im gonna be traveling around Asia for the next 6 weeks so I will be bringing you my entries from there!!!

My favorites in order they were submitted to the entries gallery.

472492119_yD7tk-Th-1.jpg475287564_WaJLP-Th-1.jpg475540513_dTQxa-Th.jpg
    477042009_Tzpfd-Th.jpg477333930_sH9a9-Th.jpg478180082_MJc8x-Th.jpg
    478917830_2aCmZ-Th.jpg478993131_3H6L4-Th.jpg479072820_WJBGj-Th.jpg
  • MUDDOGBOBMUDDOGBOB Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    How my photo was captured
    A good friend of mine raise Saint Bernards. They have several that they show.
    I went down to a show to see there saints and to take some shots to give to them and for them to use on there web site. It was hecktic trying to shoot inside, to much cluter and distrations. The background of the block wall was all I could find so made the best of it. Used a strobe on camera left and did a little PS as far as sharpening, vinetting and cloning out the leash. I like this shot as far as the saints position with the background and he was not looking straight as the camera. I do mainly people portraits and found shooting these saints in the enviroment they were in very challenging. Thats how I got this shot. Love this site.

Thanks
    Bobbowdown.gif
  • Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    Linda,

Thank you so much for sharing how you made your awesome enrtry. Now, I am going to go try that at home! :D
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    MUDDOGBOB wrote:
    A good friend of mine raise Saint Bernards. They have several that they show.
    I went down to a show to see there saints and to take some shots to give to them and for them to use on there web site. It was hecktic trying to shoot inside, to much cluter and distrations. The background of the block wall was all I could find so made the best of it. Used a strobe on camera left and did a little PS as far as sharpening, vinetting and cloning out the leash. I like this shot as far as the saints position with the background and he was not looking straight as the camera. I do mainly people portraits and found shooting these saints in the enviroment they were in very challenging. Thats how I got this shot. Love this site.

Thanks
    Bobbowdown.gif

beautiful saint you captured... now i understand why he/she was so groomed..thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    That was a Saint Bernard? eek7.gif I thought he was a Landseer, a B&W Newfoundland.

At any rate, he's gorgeous!
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    Karrie McD wrote:
    Linda,

Thank you so much for sharing how you made your awesome enrtry. Now, I am going to go try that at home! :D
    If we don't see you for a few days, we'll understand. rolleyes1.gif

You can also get cool-looking peeling effects with the Liquify tool but just as I got the effect to where I wanted it, my system crashed. rolleyes1.gif
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    My Top 10 Favs
    In no particular order and for many different reasons.

480698232_uGpLW-L.jpg

I'll make comments in the proper place as I can. Congrats to all who entered.

— Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2009
    Congrats to all, fabulous entries. I wish all the best.

Aaron, I am so honored to have my pic in your favs...Thank you...(Can you see me smiling from over there. :D )

I look forward to seeing the next entries.

Peace
    Donna P.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote