Options

< Mini Challenge #72 – Urban Wildlife

Comments

• Options
    coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2009
    Interesting idea! Unfortunately I don't have many shots that meet this criteria, I've shot a lot of wildlife in urban areas, but almost always try and eliminate that urban connection.

Heron at sunrise:

346854285_GvMRY-L.jpg

Following directions:

379262721_sNWcj-L.jpg

Stanley Park (Vancouver, BC) Racoon:

295920755_8E6Dm-L.jpg
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    No kidding! Wow, a bobcat. I've seen a cougar in the wild before (before I started taking photos) but never a bobcat.

especially not one on a .....
    wait a minute, doesn't this make it a "pole cat"? rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Heron at sunrise:

346854285_GvMRY-L.jpg
    I love this one! (as far as urban wildlife)

Love the racoon to... and the hawk(?)
  • Options
    climbbikeclimbbike Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Interesting idea! Unfortunately I don't have many shots that meet this criteria, I've shot a lot of wildlife in urban areas, but almost always try and eliminate that urban connection.

Heron at sunrise:

346854285_GvMRY-L.jpg
    Wow Coscorrosa! That must be a popular spot for the Great Blue Heron. I took this photo last November. I wasn't entering it though because I wasn't happy with the sillouette of the heron. He just sat there not doing much for me. You mananged to get an excellent side shot.

_DSC4022.jpg
  • Options
    koushkoush Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    1. just walking by

sitting at a park bench and these 2 came looking for lunch
    792a41f2.jpg

2.kookaburra on my fence
    c038a53b.jpg
    don't get your knickers ina twist, it doesn't feel good and makes you walk funny
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2009
    koush wrote:
    1. just walking by

sitting at a park bench and these 2 came looking for lunch

2.kookaburra on my fence

Now there is something I never hear... Kookaburra on my fence, WOW. I have to go to the zoo.
    Cool pictures. The ducks are so perfectly clear and sharp.
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    I love this one! (as far as urban wildlife)

Love the racoon to... and the hawk(?)

Thanks! As for the bird, I'm not sure, I do believe it's some kind of hawk. My raptor identification skills basically are "Bald Eagle" and "not Bald Eagle" :D
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2009
    climbbike wrote:
    Wow Coscorrosa! That must be a popular spot for the Great Blue Heron. I took this photo last November. I wasn't entering it though because I wasn't happy with the sillouette of the heron. He just sat there not doing much for me. You mananged to get an excellent side shot.

_DSC4022.jpg

That's awesome! I love the light in your shot, beautiful. I really need to get out to West Seattle more often, once the sun rises a little earlier I can hit that spot before work.

My heron (who may be the same as your heron) was only perched long enough for a single exposure. But you're right, I did get lucky that I had the nice profile silhouette.
  • Options
    koushkoush Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    thanks Donna for your kind comments...believe me when I say when you HEAR a kookaburra you will know it. They don't sing, or chirp, or tweet....they laugh...truly

and they are well adapted to the urban environment cause they are perch and pounce type predators...and there are plenty of lizards and geckos around here
    don't get your knickers ina twist, it doesn't feel good and makes you walk funny
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    koush wrote:
    thanks Donna for your kind comments...believe me when I say when you HEAR a kookaburra you will know it. They don't sing, or chirp, or tweet....they laugh...truly

Normally the laughing begins just after I shank a 7-iron into the green. naughty.gif
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    1. Just stopping in for a bite
    483439272_pqncS-XL.jpg

2. Pigeon Hawk found on the city streets of Baltimore, MD
    483439243_y6NQF-L.jpg

3.Same Pigeon Hawk taken prior to the tree shot, the only way I could save this picture due to the focus off was to posterize it,
    trying to sharpen it wan't working by itselfheadscratch.gif If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be happy to post the original.
    This was just one of those in the right place, at the right time, but hurrry up and shoot kinda picture. Oh, and if this isn't a Pigeon Hawk, please correct me:D
    483439253_jFTSj-L.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    An epic chase around the fountain in battery park NYC.

483717105_zTci6-L.jpg
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    ic4u wrote:
    Oh, and if this isn't a Pigeon Hawk, please correct me:D

Thanks for looking!

I think it's a Coopers Hawk. Nice catch.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2009
    koush wrote:

and they are well adapted to the urban environment cause they are perch and pounce type predators...and there are plenty of lizards and geckos around here

:D It's funny because I can't tell you half of the sounds coming from my backyard. But I do know the sound of a kookabura! My son loved the kookaburra song when he was young and I can still remember seeing one at the zoo when he was about 5. The look on his face was priceless. I showed both my sons your picture and they agreed they would love to have them in our yard.
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    I found One

483884899_Umpw8-X3.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2009
    bfjr wrote:
    I found One

oh, that's a beauty!
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    bfjr wrote:
    I found One

oh, that's a beauty!

Thanks but I'll trade ya my GBH
    for Kooka.......... anyday :D
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    davev wrote:
    I think it's a Coopers Hawk. Nice catch.

Thanks Dave!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    LiveLifeFullThrottleLiveLifeFullThrottle Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 2, 2009
    "Sticky Landing"
    484207563_eKVbL-L.jpg
  • Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    Oh F*#%, Late For Dinner Again!!!
    484419129_7DCni-L.jpg

You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2009
    Tentacion wrote:
    484419129_7DCni-S.jpg

Now that's funny rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    RxRickRxRick Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    Hey Look a Squirrel!
    OK, so it's not exotic, but where I live they aren't all that common.

418576362_aU7dD-L.jpg

418570563_RB7WA-L.jpg

I'm changing one of my entries (I hope I'm allowed to do that). This was taken last summer. My daughter and her cousin "sneaking" up on some cows. I think they were detected.

352381211_mEDiF-L.jpg

--RxRick
  • Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    I love number 2 RxRicK....

Reminds me of the cowardly lion from Wiz..."Ok Puddem Up, Puddem UP"...lol

Thanks BFJR....glad you liked it....and I love Hawaiian Pizza Too !!
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2009
    :lol Not for the Squeamish
    I decided that I will not be finding that perfect shot, so here are my 3.

First the pretty:
    1. Where'd we leave that car? headscratch.gif

484727979_3bzds-L.jpg

Next the ewwwwww!
    2. Suet, not just for Woodpeckers anymore mwink.gif

484727965_8x7yD-L.jpg

And last the gross!
    3. Squirrel - Tastes just like chicken! :eat

484727998_QYGsj-L.jpg
  • Options
    jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    St. Louis Wildlife
    This mama wood duck was sitting on her eggs right under our front window! She dug a whole in the mulch. She actually laid and hatched two separate "litters" of little ones.

326695726_J83AG-L.jpg

He really was hanging upside down in our back yard.

291424958_6tVKx-L.jpg

A goldfinch.

295804651_5xtfP-L.jpg
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2009
    just a little info about Ron's bird.
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Thanks! As for the bird, I'm not sure, I do believe it's some kind of hawk. My raptor identification skills basically are "Bald Eagle" and "not Bald Eagle" :D

Ron,
    You may not have wanted this much info, so I hope you don't mind but I wanted to know. I am trying to learn more about birds and I guessed right! clap.gif Being a volunteer at a wildlife refuge has it's advantages. Knowing people, or knowing people that know people.... point being your picture was shown to the Professor of Biology at Austin College, Wayne Meyer. (bio at: http://www.friendsofhagerman.com/links.asp?cat=biographies) This is what he said:
    This is clearly a Northern Harrier. While we can't see the white rump patch that makes this an easy ID, the facial disk of feathers, similar to what you see on owls, clinches the ID. Northern Harriers, unlike most diurnal hawks, use hearing to locate prey instead of vision. The facial disk acts like a reflector, channeling sound to the ears. Some other clues are the raggedy patchwork of dark brown and rufous on the wings and the very long tail. No Buteo would show that combination.
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2009
    dnie wrote:

Ron,
    You may not have wanted this much info, so I hope you don't mind but I wanted to know. I am trying to learn more about birds and I guessed right! clap.gif Being a volunteer at a wildlife refuge has it's advantages. Knowing people, or knowing people that know people.... point being your picture was shown to the Professor of Biology at Austin College, Wayne Meyer. (bio at: http://www.friendsofhagerman.com/links.asp?cat=biographies) This is what he said:
    This is clearly a Northern Harrier. While we can't see the white rump patch that makes this an easy ID, the facial disk of feathers, similar to what you see on owls, clinches the ID. Northern Harriers, unlike most diurnal hawks, use hearing to locate prey instead of vision. The facial disk acts like a reflector, channeling sound to the ears. Some other clues are the raggedy patchwork of dark brown and rufous on the wings and the very long tail. No Buteo would show that combination.

No, that's great, thanks Donna! I really am clueless with respect to raptor IDs, it seems like there's so many subtle variations, and people a lot smarter than me can often disagree on an ID if not all the markings are there. I originally purchased a camera a few years ago to take photos of the birds I'd see out hiking. Unfortunately, the 18-55 lens didn't help with that, so I went to landscapes and never really got back into wildlife, though I do like shooting it occasionally, it's just harder :D
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2009
    the goodfeathers
    485022082_Ezkmq-M.jpg

green on white (not animals, but still...)
    485019861_UrdoM-M.jpg

a gator in hand... (I live in Florida and the best pic I have of alligators in human "territory" is of a gator demo at a museum that is several years old)
    485021110_hQUzJ-S.jpg
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2009
    "the goodfeathers"... rolleyes1.gif thats a real fun shot with the play with words..... haahhaahaa
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2009
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    291424958_6tVKx-S.jpg

Mission Impossible:D
    Aaron Nelson