Options

2nd shooter advice

2»

Comments

• Options
    Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    urbanaries wrote:
    I think when folks are hiring a photographer they're not just hiring *A* person, they're hiring a vendor's end product, vision as a whole. Just like husband/wife teams, maybe they work under "her" name, but does the client really care who took which photos? They are hiring for all things related to the wedding end product, and sometimes that includes the work of folks employed as second shooters.

I find actually pointing out that shots in my sample albums were of a second shooter (see, I couldn't be here because I was getting THAT shot) proves the point that they are worth the expense, which results in more work for my second shooters ;)

This sums the whole thing up for me. I think that how a primary uses their 2nd shooter has a lot to do with the primaries style of photography. Like Urbanaries I strive to tell the story of the whole day, and frankly I can not do that by myself. Its just not possible to be in two places at the same time to insure that all angles are covered. It is actually a big selling point to the B&G "I will have 2 photographers there to ensure that all of your day is captured".

Becuase of this style I also whole hartidly agree with Matt on the TEAM aspect. Communication is a must I spend a significant amolunt of time with the 2nd shooter going over the set up of the day, what shots I will get, where I want them to be and focus on. We need to work as a Team to ensure that the B&G get what they are paying for.

As far as rights to images. I have a clear written agreement with my 2nd shooter allowing them to use their images in a portfolio, but they can not sell the images independently. I absolutly retain the right to use the 2nd shooters images in my promotional materials mainly because I am not so much selling myself the "photographer of all images" as I am selling the complete package as delivered by Forever and a Day Photography, and Forever and a Day Photography always uses 2 photographers to capture a wedding. I gess my ego doesnt care if it was me or my 2nd shooter who took the shot that made the bride cry. I just care that the shot was taken.
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com