Milky Way over Mt. Rainier

dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
edited April 20, 2009 in Landscapes
I took this shot after spending the evening hiking in Mount Rainier National Park. Just before going to sleep, I wanted to get a photo of the Milky Way, which had become very visible after the moon set. I only took two or three shots but at least this one turned out.
By the way, if you look closely you can see some climbers starting their early-morning ascent.

478300526_37fgC-L-2.jpg

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif

This is absolutely fantastic.
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    Thanks for your comments (here and in my gallery)!

Sorry about not posting the EXIF data along with my images. The main reason I didn't do this is because a lot of my images are blends of two exposures and the exposure values would be misleading. I don't mind at all sharing with other photographers how my photos were made. Feel free to ask on any picture you'd like to know about.

For this night image, I had to push my camera's settings to their limits. It was very dark out so the only way to expose for the scene was to use ISO 3200 and open the lens all the way up to f/4. I was shooting at 12mm and the longest exposure I could get at that focal length before star trails would begin to show was 30 seconds. The image was a bit noisy out of the camera but I managed to clean most of it up in post processing.
  • R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    Stunning +++ clap.gif

Cheers, Richard.
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    Absolutely brilliant!clap.gif
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
    edited March 9, 2009
    Thanks to both of you!
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    Fantastic! Wow! Amazing! clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    Absolutely incredible! A true work of art! Beautiful! iloveyou.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • fmeehanfmeehan Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    Amazing shot! Congratulations.
    François Meehan
    If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
    Isaac Asimov
  • scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    Great shot, Dan. This is a shot I've had on my list for this coming summer. Thanks for sharing your logic & technique about it.. thumb.gif
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    That's great!!!

I had a shot similar to that (not as good) of Mt. Shuksan right before dawn, unfortunately it was backlit and a little too bright. I like star trails shots but it's cool seeing them still like this too (someday, ISO 3200 won't be so noisy and make these types of shots more common).

I'm always amazed by how many stars there are near Rainier on a clear night.
  • zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    Wow. I'm at a loss for what to say, or where to begin on what I like so much about it.

I love the composition and glow behind the ridge. Just amazing.

bowdown.gifbowdown.gif
    Travis
    edited March 10, 2009
    Thanks everyone for taking a look! I really appreciate your comments.
    coscorrosa wrote:
    That's great!!!

I had a shot similar to that (not as good) of Mt. Shuksan right before dawn, unfortunately it was backlit and a little too bright. I like star trails shots but it's cool seeing them still like this too (someday, ISO 3200 won't be so noisy and make these types of shots more common).

I'm always amazed by how many stars there are near Rainier on a clear night.

I like star trail shots as well but still haven't given it a try. I think these shots will become much more common in the near future as well. This image was taken a few years ago with a 20D and things have already advanced quite a bit since then. The 5D MkII is pretty much my dream camera right now. I see that you've got one. How are you liking it?
    edited March 10, 2009
    zweiblumen wrote:
    Wow. I'm at a loss for what to say, or where to begin on what I like so much about it.

I love the composition and glow behind the ridge. Just amazing.

bowdown.gifbowdown.gif

Thank you! You should really check out Mount Rainier sometime if you haven't already. It's such a beautiful place.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    dseidman wrote:
    Thanks for your comments (here and in my gallery)!

Sorry about not posting the EXIF data along with my images. The main reason I didn't do this is because a lot of my images are blends of two exposures and the exposure values would be misleading. I don't mind at all sharing with other photographers how my photos were made. Feel free to ask on any picture you'd like to know about.

For this night image, I had to push my camera's settings to their limits. It was very dark out so the only way to expose for the scene was to use ISO 3200 and open the lens all the way up to f/4. I was shooting at 12mm and the longest exposure I could get at that focal length before star trails would begin to show was 30 seconds. The image was a bit noisy out of the camera but I managed to clean most of it up in post processing.

Thanks so much Dan thumb.gif
    Dan
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    dseidman wrote:
    Thanks everyone for taking a look! I really appreciate your comments.

I like star trail shots as well but still haven't given it a try. I think these shots will become much more common in the near future as well. This image was taken a few years ago with a 20D and things have already advanced quite a bit since then. The 5D MkII is pretty much my dream camera right now. I see that you've got one. How are you liking it?

I'm loving it, I just wish it was a little bigger, might need to get that battery grip. As far as IQ, it's very nice. The shots I've taken at higher ISOs (wildlife, primarily) look good without a huge amount of noise (certainly acceptable by my standards). The reason I got it was for the FF sensor, I like being able to shoot at 16mm effective.

The 20D was my first camera 3.5 years ago, it was probably more camera than I need now but that doesn't stop me from upgrading anyway :D
  • Allan FGAllan FG Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    Amazing shot clap.gif
  • steelephotography.comsteelephotography.com Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    fantastic image...
    As a photographer, I strive to creatively capture unique moments. You have certainly done it with this image. I have never seen an image like this.

Quick question, what is the light at the top? Is there a camp up there?

DS
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    Wow Amazing ! clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited March 11, 2009
    Thanks for all the comments that keep coming! :D
    As a photographer, I strive to creatively capture unique moments. You have certainly done it with this image. I have never seen an image like this.

Quick question, what is the light at the top? Is there a camp up there?

DS

I believe it was Venus. I'm telling you, I got really lucky with the placement of everything in this image. From having Milky Way positioned in the sky that allowed for Mt. Rainier to be part of the composition, to the planet that looks like it is sitting on the summit, to the climbers on the glacier. Oh and another lucky thing here was that the moon had just set minutes before taking this photo, allowing the Milky Way to appear much more prominently. I swear none of this was planned.
  • TharhawkTharhawk Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    Way to push your camera and still get a wonderful shot. I love it! BTW, was venus next to the moon in the seattle area a few weekends ago? If so, it was really bright!
    More photos: www.alpinestateofmind.com
    Ski Mountaineering stories: www.cascadecrusades.org
    Jason Hummel photography on:
    FACEBOOK
  • CoreheadCorehead Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    Now THAT'S large-format poster material!!!

Steve-o
  • YooperYooper Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 11, 2009
    This is a beautiful shot. congratulations.
  • gnoojgnooj Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    One word..... Wow! clap.gif
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited March 11, 2009
    Very nice indeed!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    It's almost too much to take in... bowdown.gif
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif with just about every comment so far in this thread. Amazing and fantastic work! And you are so modest about it :D
    edited March 13, 2009
    Tharhawk wrote:
    Way to push your camera and still get a wonderful shot. I love it! BTW, was venus next to the moon in the seattle area a few weekends ago? If so, it was really bright!

I have no idea. I'm not so good with planets and stars in the sky. Also, I must admit that I haven't really been outside much for the past few weeks. :cry
    edited March 13, 2009
    Corehead wrote:
    Now THAT'S large-format poster material!!!

Steve-o

I wish! I got a 12x18" print of it a while back and the noise was much more pronounced. I took this shot not too long after I got my first dSLR so I didn't really know what I was doing. Now I know about image stacking techniques so I'll have to retry this one of these days.
    edited March 13, 2009
    Thanks for all the friendly comments you guys keep leaving!
    schmoo wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif with just about every comment so far in this thread. Amazing and fantastic work! And you are so modest about it :D

Thank you, thank you. :D
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2009
    I love this! It looks like theres an avalanche going onne_nau.gif I really want to try something like this. Again great image.