Options

Saturdays Wedding (getting ready shots)

Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
edited June 1, 2005 in Weddings
Had a wedding at the Lyndhurst castle on Saturday, I am processing the gallery images now, probably won't finish until sometime tomorrow, but the getting ready photos are starting to show up, so here are a few:

lyndhurst126.jpg

lyndhurst137.jpg

lyndhurst134.jpg

lyndhurst142.jpg

lyndhurst143.jpg

lyndhurst179.jpg

More later as they become available
Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
"Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    yummy.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    Had a wedding at the Lyndhurst castle on Saturday, I am processing the gallery images now, probably won't finish until sometime tomorrow, but the getting ready photos are starting to show up, so here are a few:

lyndhurst134.jpg

Love this one shay clap.gif
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    If those are just the warming up pics ...

Fantastic Shay!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    Like emotions here, Shay!
    Last one is my favourite - just super portrait.
    Why dont you 'work with her skin', I wonder?
    Spasibo,
    Yuri
  • Options
    Dave DBDave DB Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    Very nice, love the third picture especially.

Dave DB
  • Options
    thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    Hi Shay,
    Love your pictures.
    -The first one I really like the idea. I don't so much like the bar code on the back of the mirror but that's easy to take off. The lighting is nice and warm... do you have any more poses of her with the mirror?
    -I'll do two and three together. I like the wide angle you have on the tying of the bride's dress but the intimate closer view and beauitful and a real keeper.
    -Four is a nice candid. I like that one.
    - Five and Six are very nice. Some really nice pictures of the the bride. I like the last one especially. It's like her groom just came around the corner or something. So, wistful.
    Overall, very good job. So, let's have more of the bonbardment of wedding pictures.
    Ashley
    Green is the way to be!
    ashleyharding.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2005
    Formal portraits
    Thank you for the comments everybody. Here is another small round of pics:

It was periodically raining, so we had to shoot much of the portraits between bands of medium to light rain. So we stuck pretty close to tree cover to keep everyone dry.

lyndhurst160.jpg

lyndhurst185.jpg

lyndhurst172.jpg

lyndhurst269.jpg

lyndhurst291.jpg
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    Awesome, Shay!
    I now look at your photos and asking "where did he put the light?":D
    Great work, I see that still have a lot to learn, but at least you provide such a fine learning material:-).
    I like the way you've used that mirrior:-)

Cheers, mastah!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    Once again, fantastic!

I may just consider marrying again... would you come over here to Israel Shay?

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    Absolutely fantastic clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

I'm shooting a wedding this Sat., your shots are inspirational.

Lee
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2005
    Ceremony time
    The ceremony almost got rained out, but just as people were starting to head for the trees, it let up and all went without a hitch.

lyndhurst211.jpg

lyndhurst218.jpg

lyndhurst228.jpg

lyndhurst232.jpg

lyndhurst242.jpg

lyndhurst249.jpg

lyndhurst256.jpg

lyndhurst261.jpg
  • Options
    binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    shay, i'm a fan of your work, it's beyond excellent. the wide shots are nice, but the shots with the 70-200 are abolutely stunning. i shot a confirmation/bat-mitzvah type thing this weekend and didn't use my 70-200 once, the tamron 28-75 was great. i kinda regret not using it, but it would've been difficult to use since the lens is basically as big as the whole restaurant we were in.

i'm assuming you were only using your 16-35 and 70-200 the entire time, i'm also assuming you use two bodies, but i could be wrong.

my favorite shot so far is the last shot of the first set you posted, it's beautiful.

EDIT: i noticed theres one you just posted that was apparently taken with the 18-55 kit lens, is that right?
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2005
    but it would've been difficult to use since the lens is basically as big as the whole restaurant we were in.
    The 70-200 is honkin' huge! I really debated on whether or not it would work for me, and it's really heavy too. It might not sound like it to some, but when you carry this all day for 12 hours, that adds up mwink.gif

But the results, like you mentioned, are worth it to me. I can't actually imagine not using the lens now. And with the IS (image stabilization) I can use it at 1/60th of a second in low light situations very reliably without getting camera shake at full zoom. Just amazing.

i'm assuming you were only using your 16-35 and 70-200 the entire time, i'm also assuming you use two bodies, but i could be wrong.
    I carry three lenses in my bag, the 70-200, 16-35, and the 50mm. I mostly use the 70-200 and the 16-35 for everything. I do use two bodies, and at times will use both at the same time, but my preference is to use one body and swap lenses. I do too much body movement to have two bodies swinging around my neck most times. When I am not using Jen for anything, she takes the second body with the kit lens. When she gets a good one, it finds it's way into the gallery (much to her delight hehehe)

EDIT: i noticed theres one you just posted that was apparently taken with the 18-55 kit lens, is that right?
    Yes, you are correct. As mentioned above, Jen shoots with the kit lens, and one of them found their way into this post by accident. Not that it's a bad thing of course, but I like to keep any confusion at a minimum mwink.gif

Jen is currently in training with the camera. In a while, she will start learning PS too. She is making good progress and the goal is to have her capable of doing a wedding all on her own.
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2005
    Hi Ashley, I don't usually do much spot editing for the proof gallery. People like to see their photos fast these days "donchya know". But here are the two other mirror shots and the first one posted that are cleaned up.

lyndhurst116.jpg

lyndhurst117.jpg

lyndhurst126a.jpg
  • Options
    tlittletontlittleton Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    Those are excellent photos Shay. Did you have a flash behind her when she's looking into the mirror, or is that natural background light?
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2005
    I did have a small softbox in the room to provide some fill, but the reflected light in this case is coming from a window from behind here (over her left shoulder). The room had three walls with windows all around. The fill light from the flash was placed in the corner of the wall that had no windows.

There was also some incandescent lights up in the ceiling that helped to impart the warm tones and the walls were an orange-y yellow which helped too.
    tlittleton wrote:
    Those are excellent photos Shay. Did you have a flash behind her when she's looking into the mirror, or is that natural background light?
  • Options
    T4TotsT4Tots Registered Users Posts: 198 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    I just enjoyed your entire gallery :)

These are really great. I love the colors. Glad the rain held off!
    Tina Folsom :lust
    Photographer and Mom of Four!
    edited May 31, 2005
    Beautiful work as always Shay... love the one where they're walking away from the altar, faces are priceless.
  • Options
    Peter DumontPeter Dumont Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    Shay, WoW !
    Thank you for the comments everybody. Here is another small round of pics:

lyndhurst172.jpg
    Really lovely pictures, Shay !15524779-Ti.gif

I have a few favourites from your posts and this is one of them.clap.gif
    Very nice capture ! What did you tell them to make them laugh like that ?:lol

Bye,
    Peter Dumont
  • Options
    BridgeCityBridgeCity Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    Yes, you are correct. As mentioned above, Jen shoots with the kit lens, and one of them found their way into this post by accident. Not that it's a bad thing of course, but I like to keep any confusion at a minimum mwink.gif

Jen is currently in training with the camera. In a while, she will start learning PS too. She is making good progress and the goal is to have her capable of doing a wedding all on her own.
    Good to know there is still hope for this lens! I have the 50 1.4 but am not talented enough to realize it's greatness. I still have a tough time taking the 18-55 off my camera... Which leads me to beleive that I need to upgrade to the 16-35 L.. or the 24-70 L

Wonderful set Shay... pictures like that are what inspire my to keep trying :D
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited May 31, 2005
    very sweet Shay. I admire your ability to work around bright windows and mirrors and maintain beautiful light. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2005
    i find this interesting, why don't you have someone working for you that already knows how to use the camera and photoshop? is she working for you and in return you're teaching her to use the camera and photoshop?
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    binghott wrote:
    i find this interesting, why don't you have someone working for you that already knows how to use the camera and photoshop? is she working for you and in return you're teaching her to use the camera and photoshop?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm 99% sure that she's Shay's wife :)
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2005
    Shima wrote:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm 99% sure that she's Shay's wife :)
    haha. oops, didn't know that ne_nau.gif
    sorry!
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    Gorgeous work, Shay, love the white balance especially. So nice when flash is really used correctly, and in this case despite variable light as well. I liked your creative poses, too.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    Shay, some absolutely wonderful images. I especially like the first mirror shot, that's just great. And one again I note that the good shooters always seem to nail the exposure - great stuff.

Hey lynne, are those two horses getting it on in your avatar?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    Shay I have some questions and was wondering if it would be ok to PM you with them.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2005
    Thank you for looking and commenting T4Tots, Shima, Lynne, and wxwax.

Peter, that's a trade secret....hahaha....no, really, it was as simple as just suggesting they all laugh and have a good time. They were already in a happy fun loving mood, so they did not need any other help than that. Also did a non laughing shot:
    lyndhurst171.jpg

BridgeCity: You can do a lot with the kit lens. The 50mm will let you do low light work. You don't need a bevy of lenses to get good work done ;-) but with that said, the 16-35mm is totally sweet and bright.

Angelo: I look for lighting and backgrounds almost as much as I look for subject matter. When both make themselves available at the same time, that's when the sparks fly :-)

binghott: As Shima mentioned, Jen is my wife.

dragon300zx: You may launch when ready mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2005
    The Reception
    The reception was held under a tent. Good thing too, because not long after everyone got seated, it started pouring cats and dogs.

lyndhurst307.jpg

lyndhurst346.jpg

lyndhurst351.jpg

lyndhurst359.jpg

lyndhurst364.jpg

lyndhurst369.jpg

lyndhurst388.jpg

lyndhurst407.jpg

lyndhurst413.jpg

lyndhurst464.jpg

lyndhurst474.jpg
  • Options
    simon bennettsimon bennett Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    The reception was held under a tent. Good thing too, because not long after everyone got seated, it started pouring cats and dogs.

lyndhurst359.jpg

lyndhurst364.jpg

lyndhurst369.jpg
    Hi Shay... would be keen to know what lens you used for the above shots.

I have to agree with Gus on the following shot. It's my fave from the series.

lyndhurst134.jpg

A wedding in a scenic location with photogenic people. That makes a difficult job a little easier. Looks like it was a fun shoot.

Simon.