Options

Saturdays Wedding (getting ready shots)

2»

Comments

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    70-200mm f/2.8 IS lens. It's the only one I can use in low light situations I find myself in. I am by nature a zoomer, and primes just make me feel restricted.

I find a beautiful location and subjects to be very inspirational, but not necessarily easier. They look good, and generally know it, and expect the photos to look better hehehe. The pressure to live up to that can be tough mwink.gif

Hi Shay... would be keen to know what lens you used for the above shots.

A wedding in a scenic location with photogenic people. That makes a difficult job a little easier. Looks like it was a fun shoot.

Simon.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    Shay,

You provided the greatest service a photographer could. You captured a wonderfull set photos of your clients wedding which will allow them to cherish this precious day for all times.

Simply a wonderfull and truely profesional job.

You have found your calling.

Sam
  • Options
    simon bennettsimon bennett Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    70-200mm f/2.8 IS lens. It's the only one I can use in low light situations I find myself in. I am by nature a zoomer, and primes just make me feel restricted.

I find a beautiful location and subjects to be very inspirational, but not necessarily easier. They look good, and generally know it, and expect the photos to look better hehehe. The pressure to live up to that can be tough mwink.gif
    Heh heh... I hear that. I don't earn a keep from photography so wedding requests are always met as a mixed blessing. Mostly due to the high expectations.

70-200 f/2.8 IS... nice lens. It's the next on my list. Once I've saved the AUS$2k+ for it that is. Went in to a camera store here in Canberra a couple of weeks ago and enquired about this lens. Was told 'Canon don't make it - it doesn't exist.' There's something to be said for the lost art of salesmanship (ie: knowing your product - not just pitching it).

There's always Ebay which'll shave about AUS$1k off the price. Definitely will be snapping one asap.

Thanks for the info, Shay. It's good to be reading your posts again.

Cheers,
    Simon.
  • Options
    tlittletontlittleton Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    I'm just so drawn back to the lighting. You did some great work with the lighting. Hardly looks as though you used any kind if flash at all. The outside shot of the castle at night is great too.
  • Options
    pepper44pepper44 Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    These are great pictures!! You should do the photography for my wedding...

-Amy
  • Options
    ashbyashby Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited June 1, 2005
    Shay, the photos in the tent are miraculous. clap.gif Tell us how you did the lighting. Remotes? Stands? And then, how did you manage to maneuver the subjects into the proper positions?
  • Options
    JazzyJakJazzyJak Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited June 1, 2005
    Every image is inspirational from a photographers point of view and some amazing captures for the B&G to enjoy, the rehearsal pic you posted and all of these are great. And it's great you're so open to questions from everyone.

Beautiful work Shay.
    Diving headfirst into photography!
    www.cloningerimagery.com
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2005
    Sam: Thank you, I really appreciate your comments. I just finished the DVD slideshow, and wow, it's 10x more powerful than a static gallery. It's my presentation of choice these days.

Simon: Once I gave up on STF, it freed me, and I realized I could post unfettered. Very liberating :-)

Thomas: Lighting is key. I can't stress that enough. Any photographer who wants to grow or feels stalled photographically and they have not yet began working with lighting should do so as soon as possible. It's a whole new world of creativity and results.

Amy: Thank you! Send me a PM with your date. You never know ;-)

Ashby: The reception was lit with three lights. Two fired up at the tent ceiling and one shooting across the venue parallel to the band. That created large areas of fill an highlights, allowing me to not have to pose or place anyone in the tent. Here is an overview shot showing where I placed two of the lights aimed up at the ceiling (they are on both sides of the band) and Jen was controlling the third light off to camera left (not visible in the frame)
    lyndhurst338.jpg

All three lights were triggered with Pocketwizards allowing me to wander about without being hampered by cords or optical lines of sight.

JazzyJak: Thank you very much for commenting, and I am glad you enjoyed the thread too :-)
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 1, 2005
    Shay - I'm glad I revisited this post to see your progress. I am truly overwhelmed with this remarkable series of photos. I can only imagine the tears of joy you'll witness when the bride sees her special day captured so beautifully.