shooting macro with nikon

2»

Comments

• the supervillainthe supervillain Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2009
    Very cool! So is that a 50mm you reversed?

I was so close to getting my Sigma 105mm, but the guy on Craigslist decided to sell it to someone else before I could get off work to go pick it up. And so the hunt continues!!!

I can't wait!!

yup that was my 50mm 1.8d reversed.
    here:
    reversed%2050mm.jpg

are you definetly set on the sigma then? i think i am going to go with the nikon 105. i know if i compromise, i will wish i bought the nikon in the end :)
    --Craig...
    shoots things with a D80, an F1, and a Diana F+

My Gallery
    Sign the guestbook :)!!
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2009
    I could go with either lens. Just depends which I find the better deal on. I've reviewed many images taken with both and I really don't see a marked difference in image quality. I've seen tack sharp images with both lenses. Also, I have to other Sigma lenses that I could not be happier with. But again, if I happen across a good deal for the Nikkor, I will not pass it up.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • the supervillainthe supervillain Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2009
    Lens extension is not a big issue for me- I tend to preset the magnification I want on the lens and focus by moving the camera :)

Yes you can combine a set of extension tubes and a reversed lens - you'll get about 4:1 magnificatio with both.

With a reversed lens yes the shoter focal length the reversed lens is the more magnification you will get but it comes at the expense of focus distance. With too short a reversed lens you can end up with the focus point being inside the front elemement of the reversed lens :)

Brian v.

alright i am going to resurrect this thread!

i have been thinking more about the extension tubes + 105mm macro + reversed 50mm

i just went to the camera shop today and test drove the nikon 105mm macro VR. its a lovely piece of glass! its heavy though! i am not concerned about weight when i am handholding, but weight when its on the end of a set of extension tubes.

any one have any experience?? i tried searching the web, but i get a lot of results, but nothing really relevant!
    --Craig...
    shoots things with a D80, an F1, and a Diana F+

My Gallery
    Sign the guestbook :)!!