Hugely Frustrated!! Why wouldn't they like these??

2»

Comments

• TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    I have to admit to being a bit puzzled by this. I take it that you are a professional photographer and that the client is paying for your services. If the client would like smiles and giggles, or if the client would like full-length shots, then why shouldn't this be what is delivered? Why should your feelings be hurt when it is the client who feels she didn't get what she contracted for?

If you were not aware that the client wanted smiles and giggles, or full-length shots, then it would seem that the proper questions were not asked when the session was contracted for. You are not expected to be a mind reader, but a professional should know that the client should be prompted to give some guidance.

The photographs are excellent, but they fail in the most important area: they are not what the paying client wanted. Most of the comments in this thread are complimentary of the photographs, and rightly so. The comment not complimentary is that of the person who paid for the service and will be looking at these photographs for years to come wishing for smiles (even "cheesy" ones) and full-length shots.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    TonyCooper wrote:
    I have to admit to being a bit puzzled by this. I take it that you are a professional photographer and that the client is paying for your services. If the client would like smiles and giggles, or if the client would like full-length shots, then why shouldn't this be what is delivered? Why should your feelings be hurt when it is the client who feels she didn't get what she contracted for?

If you were not aware that the client wanted smiles and giggles, or full-length shots, then it would seem that the proper questions were not asked when the session was contracted for. You are not expected to be a mind reader, but a professional should know that the client should be prompted to give some guidance.

The photographs are excellent, but they fail in the most important area: they are not what the paying client wanted. Most of the comments in this thread are complimentary of the photographs, and rightly so. The comment not complimentary is that of the person who paid for the service and will be looking at these photographs for years to come wishing for smiles (even "cheesy" ones) and full-length shots.
    Had the client made this clear at the outset ... or even during the shoot ... then I would have to agree. We are being told the client hired the OP for her style and when she delivered, the client expressed dis-satisfaction. There's the rub.
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    They are all gorgeous.
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    I like the portraits - a lot! But then again, I'm not the paying customer.

This is why I could NEVER be a professional photographer. I don't have the ability to "let go". A friend of a friend (you know the type) once asked for a few portrait shots, and insisted on some cheesy poses. I was so disgusted I could hardly do the post processing.:nah

Likewise, this is why I will never raise my eyebrows at the prices a photographer charges.

I sort of have to agree with TonyCooper.
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    Had the client made this clear at the outset ... or even during the shoot ... then I would have to agree. We are being told the client hired the OP for her style and when she delivered, the client expressed dis-satisfaction. There's the rub.

That assumes that the client understood what "style" is. It's quite possible that the client thought that "style" is lighting, backdrops, setting, etc. If the photographer has a "style", then it's up to the photographer to communicate what the style entails.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    Guys, f&ckups are inevitable. You can explain everything in writing and request 100 signatures and provide tons of paperwork - yet still you will come to a dissatisfied client once in a while. In the wedding photography they are known as bridezillas or BZ moms. Sometime they are easy to spot, but sometimes things just happen. The more you work in the area, the better you will learn to discover those "timebomb" clients in advance.
    I say, count you losses and let it go.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"