Maine lighthouses (well two of them anyway)

cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
edited April 30, 2009 in Landscapes
Went out Sunday, what a great morning! The fog horn was going off, I didnt drop my camera, and I made it home to my wife and girls with donuts just after they woke up.

522804046_cbWog-L.jpg

522803802_FXiCA-L.jpg

522803692_B3YoJ-L.jpg

522803462_y4FHF-L.jpg

Comments

• redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    Great shots, Corey! I'm not crazy about the second one, I think because it's so soft. But I like the others a lot, especially that first one--WOW!!!

Cheers,
    Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    First and third are wow! I really like the perspective of that third one and the colors in the first are great. Really nice!
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 28, 2009
    Awesome shots! The subtle colors in the last one are excellent. Great job on these.

They're almost enough to make me miss New England. Almost. :D

Cheers,
    -joel
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    Great shots, Corey! I'm not crazy about the second one, I think because it's so soft. But I like the others a lot, especially that first one--WOW!!!

Cheers,
    Lauren

Thanks Lauren, the second isnt actually soft. its pretty far away (tiny spec in the first photo, kind of in the middle of the frame) so theres quite a bit of atmospheric interference (fog, and heat waves)

But you are right I guess, it is soft.

The first was the one I was after, its a 10 frame Pano. If I wasnt such a wimp Id post it huge. Thanks again!
    edited April 28, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    First and third are wow! I really like the perspective of that third one and the colors in the first are great. Really nice!

Thank you, I was really happy with how the third turned out as well.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    Come on, Corey--post it HUGE! wings.gif

. . . and send me a complimentary print to hang on my wall . . . a HUGE print. :D
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited April 28, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Awesome shots! The subtle colors in the last one are excellent. Great job on these.

They're almost enough to make me miss New England. Almost. :D

Cheers,
    -joel

Its OK your allowed to miss New England in the summer. I dont blame you from moving away for the winter:D

I almost didnt put that last one together after messing with the first one. its a 9 frame pano, but I probably cropped out 2 or 3 frames. Thanks for the feedback Joel.
  • PHOTOemptPHOTOempt Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    first one's the winner - a real wow, and you earned the donuts. colours, composition: fabulous. the others are good, but that lovely curve and the way the eye travels round beats out the rest. i like the second one, very gentle and beautiful, but it suffers next to the big drama before and after it. it needed a separate "gentler theme" post to win more friends. maybe a smidgin of contrast to help define the lighthouse, (maybe not, but it's a thought to play with?) and maybe not having the fence around the lighthouse overlapping the distant land mass? lovely images.
    cheers, sarah
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

+39 075 878 0642 or on the web at
    www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
    and if you are interested in our italian cooking school here in Monte Castello di Vibio check out www.umbriacucina.com
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    #1, 3, and 4 are great. Portland Head Light must be one of the most photographed lighthouses in the Northeast. You captured some great light.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    Great set. Really like 2 and 3 clap.gif
    edited April 28, 2009
    PHOTOempt wrote:
    first one's the winner - a real wow, and you earned the donuts. colours, composition: fabulous. the others are good, but that lovely curve and the way the eye travels round beats out the rest. i like the second one, very gentle and beautiful, but it suffers next to the big drama before and after it. it needed a separate "gentler theme" post to win more friends. maybe a smidgin of contrast to help define the lighthouse, (maybe not, but it's a thought to play with?) and maybe not having the fence around the lighthouse overlapping the distant land mass? lovely images.
    cheers, sarah

Hey Sarah, thanks for all the feedback! The first is definitely my favorite as well. I cant wait to print it, its a pretty big file (300mb tiff) your right about the second on, I just wanted to include another lighthouse, theres even one more 1/2 mile up the coast.

I assume your talking about #2 with the fence? if so, its part of the lighthouse.
    edited April 28, 2009
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    #1, 3, and 4 are great. Portland Head Light must be one of the most photographed lighthouses in the Northeast. You captured some great light.

Your probably right, but I just cant help myself:D it lends itself to photos so well, it is tough to get a unique perspective though. I think I managed some original ones though...... I hopeheadscratch.gif The light was great though! Thanks!
    edited April 28, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Great set. Really like 2 and 3 clap.gif

I take it you dont like panosrolleyes1.gif Thanks, heres the color version of three for you.

523180413_QZ8tU-L.jpg
  • Secluded ValleySecluded Valley Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    The first one is my favorite. I really like the clouds. I also like the perspective in the first one; it looks like you're about to get hit with the wave.

Kristine
    "How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains!" ~John Muir
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    Gorgeous! #3 is my favorite, like all of them though.
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    I really enjoyed the first and third. Good work!
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    Another "clap.gif" for 1 and 3.
    Care to enlighten me on how you managed a 10 shot pano with waves so as to not have them appear at various points of movement? I have yet to accomplish that with anything more than 3 shot panos...
    Thanks,
    E
  • PHOTOemptPHOTOempt Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    cj99si wrote:
    Hey Sarah, thanks for all the feedback! The first is definitely my favorite as well. I cant wait to print it, its a pretty big file (300mb tiff) your right about the second on, I just wanted to include another lighthouse, theres even one more 1/2 mile up the coast.

I assume your talking about #2 with the fence? if so, its part of the lighthouse.

hi there,yes i did mean #2 with the fence. i know that the fence is around the lighthouse, - it just bothered me that the fence of the lighthouse is merging with the landmass in the background. i guess you needed to be at a higher shooting position to avoid that - it it were possible, it would make a good photo even better. wow, i just saw colour image #3 - spectacular. i think i like the colour version better. i would have had a hard time turning such gorgeous light into a B&W image. that took some self control. bet you don't eat chocolate either...! sarah
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

+39 075 878 0642 or on the web at
    www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
    and if you are interested in our italian cooking school here in Monte Castello di Vibio check out www.umbriacucina.com
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    Like that first shot. I'd consider selecting and making the lighthouse a touch brighter to draw more attention to it.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    very very nicethumb.gifthumbthumb.gifbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    Great job really liked the 3rd one !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2009
    Agree #1 and #3 are my favorites. Love how you got yourself (what looks like) right in the water, to get such a great perspective.
    edited April 30, 2009
    The first one is my favorite. I really like the clouds. I also like the perspective in the first one; it looks like you're about to get hit with the wave.

Kristine

Thanks, yes there was a little bit of shoot and run going on.
    edited April 30, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Gorgeous! #3 is my favorite, like all of them though.

Thanks Ron, I really appreciate it.
    edited April 30, 2009
    dseidman wrote:
    I really enjoyed the first and third. Good work!

Thanks danny, looks those 2 are the definite favorites.
    edited April 30, 2009
    eoren1 wrote:
    Another "clap.gif" for 1 and 3.
    Care to enlighten me on how you managed a 10 shot pano with waves so as to not have them appear at various points of movement? I have yet to accomplish that with anything more than 3 shot panos...
    Thanks,
    E

Wait for a lull(waves generally come in sets) and shoot fast. I was surprised how well this shot did with the waves. I didnt have to touch them in PS. Also don't skimp on the overlap. Thanks for the comments E!
    edited April 30, 2009
    PHOTOempt wrote:
    hi there,yes i did mean #2 with the fence. i know that the fence is around the lighthouse, - it just bothered me that the fence of the lighthouse is merging with the landmass in the background. i guess you needed to be at a higher shooting position to avoid that - it it were possible, it would make a good photo even better. wow, i just saw colour image #3 - spectacular. i think i like the colour version better. i would have had a hard time turning such gorgeous light into a B&W image. that took some self control. bet you don't eat chocolate either...! sarah

I see what your saying. I thought you were saying you thought the fence(pier) was on another landmass.

Whats chocolatene_nau.gifrolleyes1.gif
    edited April 30, 2009
    Tee Why wrote:
    Like that first shot. I'd consider selecting and making the lighthouse a touch brighter to draw more attention to it.

I'll check it out, good suggestion, thanks.
    edited April 30, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    very very nicethumb.gifthumbthumb.gifbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif

haha, glad you liked them!
    edited April 30, 2009
    Great job really liked the 3rd one !

Thanks Awais! This is going to sound dumb, but how do you pronounce your last name? I see your name on here all the time and it bothers me that I cant pronounce it right in my head. I apologize if this is a rude thing to ask.