Options

Moab 2008 Shootout Book (really!)

2»

Comments

• Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    We got ours a half hour ago... immediately put quinn down for a nap and snuggled up on the couch to look through it.

AWESOME content. Amazing job Schmoo on the design, and all the shooters on the images. I'm now a little afraid to have volunteered to do next years... going to be quite the tradition to live up to! :)

I'm a little less than satisfied with the production... not enough to return it, but enough to not buy a second copy like we had contemplated.

The issues I see:
    1. The cover is very washed out. We bought the imagewrap style cover. This might have been a mistake. The image in the preview pdf and in the online view schmoo has posted is very vibrant, and has a very dark black point. The book cover is much flatter, and the "black" is more a medium grey with a slight green cast. The back cover also has a few white streaks on it.
    2. white spots. Several pages have a few small white spots in the print, this is almost exclusively on the all black pages, of which there are a lot. air bubbles in the black ink supply line? Maybe it just can't keep up the supply for those all black pages? related to the streaks on the back cover?
    3. print banding. several of the images display a very slight vertical banding on about 1/3 inch separations. I've seen this in the past from an inkjet that was in need of a new print head. They're subtle very subtle.
    4. jpeg banding. a few of the images show very definite jpeg banding in the prints. I do not recall seeing any in the upload gallery... but since it's limited to M they maybe there in the larger images. UPDATE: all but one of the images show the same banding in the original.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    stuffjunkiestuffjunkie Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    Ordered!
    Will wait patiently w/ fingers crossed. :D
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    Got my copy today. For some reason I ordered the hardcover, cover image seems fine.
    Me and wifie looked it through, couldn't really see any defects.
    Thank you Steph, Blurb and whoever else was involved! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Got my copy today. For some reason I ordered the hardcover, cover image seems fine.
    Ditto.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Here too, hardcover, all is good. WTG Schmoo :smo
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    I'm so glad to hear that there are good copies out there! And it was a blast making the book. Cabbey's gonna totally reinvent the shootoutiness of it next year so just you wait. :D
  • Options
    cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    Just want to let you all know I got the replacement book today. It is light years ahead of the last one. The cover looks great and so far no color blobs. The printer must have been running out of ink when they did mine. Thanks Blurb. thumb.gif
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    cwphotos wrote:
    Just want to let you all know I got the replacement book today. It is light years ahead of the last one. The cover looks great and so far no color blobs. The printer must have been running out of ink when they did mine. Thanks Blurb. thumb.gif

wings.gif
  • Options
    stuffjunkiestuffjunkie Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2009
    I had a few minutes this AM FINALLY to sit down with my copy.
    What an amazing book!
    Thank you so much for putting this together!!
    I am inspired!
    I can't wait to go back...
    and I am SO looking forward to Acadia!
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    cover quality
    Since the single biggest complaint I have with the quality of the print is the cover, I wanted to post some details on it.

556315687_kRgeT-M.jpg

556315268_zeGPz-M.jpg

And just to give a side by side comparison, here's Schmoo's image from the start of the thread:

20090506-nmqtnm5hsw4fpurfdw2q5n426f.jpg

Honestly, in full sunlight, which is where this image was taken, the book looks better in the details of the rocks than I thought it did under "normal room light". Even in a brightly lit room.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    cabbey wrote:
    Since the single biggest complaint I have with the quality of the print is the cover, I wanted to post some details on it.
    Your cover is nicer than my original one:

546331866_AiZN3-L.jpg

-- look at the spine -- it's coming off and pulling off at the crease.

And the back...
    546331845_n4SKR-M.jpg

The spine is white at the crease even though it's been over less than five times.

The replacement is better, but I haven't had the chance to really look it over yet.
  • Options
    DougNorCalDougNorCal Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    Code doesn't work?
    cwphotos wrote:
    Amazing Schmoo. I ordered mine today as well. clap.gif

Here is a hint: hpfreeshipping
    The code gets you free shipping up to $10.

Schmoo, thou art awesome. wings.gif
    I was very slow to place my order (yup, trying to do it today), but the code doesn't seem to work. Tells me I can only use this for books that I've authored. Anyone understand the deal?

Thanks...Doug