Bay Photo's came out dark

mickimicki Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
edited July 27, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I have a client that bought pictures and I had no color correction on and my client says all the pictures came out dark. Here is the quote.

We got the pics the other day in the mail and for the most part love them.. When looking at them, compared to the web page, they are much darker. Case in point. The pic of the kids in the archway you have on your home page, on the one I got, you can barley see Kyle. Most of the darker pics are that way. Is there something we can do about this. I can bring the pics to Fergi or you can come by and look at what we have framed. Your printers just didn't do your work justice. Let me know where we go from here. Thanks for your effort.

My heart is just broken. I have an e-mail into support but I know without a doubt that my pictures would look totally fine printed with the EZ Prints but wanted to give Bay Photo's a try.

Has ANY ONE out there had this same problem with BAY PHOTO'S?

I need to know this quickly as I have so much out there right now (prom pics and senior pics) that I need to change over NOW.

My stomach is in a knot over this. Not to mention the fact that I now have to deal with getting him a total new set of pictures if the second set from Bay Photo's don't look right.

(sigh)

Thanks Andy for your feedback regarding this. I know you will wonder also. :)

~ micki

Here are some of the pics that were printed.

Picture ONE, TWO, THREE

Comments

• astockwellastockwell Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    Printed on Matte or Glossy? Glossy will usually give more "light" to a print, but I can see why the first two might come out dark, as they look a tad underexposed. I would hope though that Bay would catch it, and at least ask you if it was right. The third I really can't see why it would come out too dark.

-Andy
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    Hi Mickey. This photo is very dark:
    http://www.mvisionphotography.com/gallery/8135310_CfmYs/5/530119360_JDb6R/Large

and when printed, I'd expect it to be even darker. You ordered True which means we do no adjustments - just like you said.

Too-dark is the most common reason for a returned print:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-problems

here's why:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/too-dark

See how dark?
    20090522-ntr239yr59r2n7ttayw44str2m.jpg

This photo is underexposed by a stop or so in my book. Needs more light.

Would you like a refund, or reprints made from new files for this order? Or, we're happy to make them better than they are now, we'll hand-adjust. Let us know, you're fully covered by the SmugMug Guarantee.
  • mickimicki Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    Printed on Matte or Glossy? Glossy will usually give more "light" to a print, but I can see why the first two might come out dark, as they look a tad underexposed. I would hope though that Bay would catch it, and at least ask you if it was right. The third I really can't see why it would come out too dark.

-Andy

It's was printed in Lustre (can't get matte with Bay Photo).

I have had no problem printing anything like this anywhere else and this is actually pretty light for this type of thing (low light shadow pictures). I have printed many things like this from EZ with no problems.

This is why you get things printed at a "professional" lab in my opinion and not at walgreens. (sigh)

My client then sent me this in the next e-mail

While talking with Chel and looking a little closer. Almost all shots are darker then the web page. Just kind of sucks when you put a pic in a frame and can't even see the face.

Thanks for understanding. Also got one pic back with a big gray line about 1 inch on the bottom of a 5X7. It's the one of Chel and Stevo looking out the window. You also can barley see his face.

I'm sure we will get this resolved. Like I said before, I know you are very busy. I will help in any way I can.

(I will probably personally send him a whole other order from EZprints just to compare myself)
    edited May 21, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Mickey. This photo is very dark:
    http://www.mvisionphotography.com/gallery/8135310_CfmYs/5/530119360_JDb6R/Large

and when printed, I'd expect it to be even darker. You ordered True which means we do no adjustments - just like you said.

Too-dark is the most common reason for a returned print:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-problems

here's why:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/too-dark

See how dark?
    20090522-ntr239yr59r2n7ttayw44str2m.jpg

This photo is underexposed by a stop or so in my book. Needs more light.

Would you like a refund, or reprints made from new files for this order? Or, we're happy to make them better than they are now, we'll hand-adjust. Let us know, you're fully covered by the SmugMug Guarantee.

see it's not that dark on mine at all honestly

AND my computer is callibrated to you guys (just did it the other day).

He didn't buy anything that can't be adjusted and if this group of photo's does get adjusted by bay and that would get this group of photo's to him at a better quality that would be the best thing for him.

I normally don't do any adjustment for color purposes (I do different saturation and color artistic stuff). He didn't order any of that stuff.

I am concerned about the line that he did mention (you can see that in my other comment).

I'll have to see the pictures to know what he is talking about.

I'm going to have to order some pictures from Bay of my own stuff that I have bought from several other places to see the quality.

Do I just need to tell you to order the stuff again with the "let them make adjustments on the pictures please". :)

I promise I twitter you a thank you
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    micki wrote:
    see it's not that dark on mine at all honestly

I just wanted to point out that while monitors can be deceptive (even calibrated ones) histograms don't lie. I too am very interested to see the differences between Bay and EZP on this order but judging from that historgram and having "True" color selected I'd expect both to be too dark.
    edited May 21, 2009
    Pupator wrote:
    I just wanted to point out that while monitors can be deceptive (even calibrated ones) histograms don't lie. I too am very interested to see the differences between Bay and EZP on this order but judging from that historgram and having "True" color selected I'd expect both to be too dark.

I guess now is when I'm going to have to make a plug into the I wish we could make a choice to have only certain pictures be TRUE and certain pictures be hand or auto.

I can't go moving galleries and putting pictures in different folders (example these few pictures) to make sure they are light enough. I also can print them at home which is what I guess I might have to do now but they ordered 8x10s (I'll have to look) and I really don't have great printer for something bigger than 5x6 myself.

I guess I'll have to watch the low light stuff.

I will say I have printed "THIS" picture on 16x20 with EZ and it is wonderful. Also it looks GREAT in 4x6. So go figure.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    I was hoping this wouldn't happen....Mine are dark too :cry

I just received 4 photos printed by bayphoto letting them adjust them. The reason I did this is because I've used them before and my photos came out wonderful.

But...I had a different monitor then and it was calibrated. Now I have a new monitor..calibrated too, but the photos I just received are too dark. So I just ordered them again from bayphoto without them doing anything to them. It will be interesting to see the difference.
    edited May 21, 2009
    micki wrote:
    I will say I have printed "THIS" picture on 16x20 with EZ and it is wonderful. Also it looks GREAT in 4x6. So go figure.
    What order # was that? I want to see the order.
    edited May 21, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:

I just received 4 photos printed by bayphoto letting them adjust them. The reason I did this is because I've used them before and my photos came out wonderful.

But...I had a different monitor then and it was calibrated. Now I have a new monitor..calibrated too, but the photos I just received are too dark. So I just ordered them again from bayphoto without them doing anything to them. It will be interesting to see the difference.

well I'm not trying to be sour about this but it is business for me and I don't have time to wait and try for photo's to come back. (sigh)

I think I am going to just move my other galleries back to EZ.

Anyone else out there that has done BAY PHOTO'S had any feedback?

We are talking about all the pictures (not just my silly dark dungeon ones) ha

All the pictures that were bought were dark. Even the ones that were outside in the sun.
    edited May 21, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:

Order #s? I want to help.
    edited May 21, 2009
    Andy wrote:

Order # is 1000882
    edited May 22, 2009
    Andy wrote:

Order #990051

He told me that most of them were on the DARK side.
    edited May 22, 2009
    micki wrote:
    well I'm not trying to be sour about this but it is business for me and I don't have time to wait and try for photo's to come back. (sigh)

All the pictures that were bought were dark. Even the ones that were outside in the sun.

I wonder why you'd not use Bay Photo's color correction and leave it to them? I'm also wondering if you're comparing apples to apples (True Color @ Bay vs. True Color @ EZ, same orders?)
    edited May 22, 2009
    micki wrote:

Your not being sour about it....I know how you feel. Honestly my last order from bayphoto was awesome. I thought I had it made .. if I messed up on the "to light" or "to dark" in my editing they would fix it, but this time I'm not to sure. I'm sure Andy will check them out -- tell us our mistakes and we can try to correct them in our editing process.

Outside in the sun...I had a two that were in bright sun printed. Actually 3, but I edited one in sepia, but even that one I expected to be brighter when printed.
    edited May 22, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Order # is 1000882
    OK Larry is going to comment from Bay Photo.
    edited May 22, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    OK Larry is going to comment from Bay Photo.

Oh my...I must of made a real big mistake rolleyes1.gif
    edited May 22, 2009
    micki wrote:
    Order #990051

He told me that most of them were on the DARK side.
    I believe it. Many of the photos are underexposed. And when printed they'll be even darker, since prints use reflected light, and on screen they're backlit.

I really think Bay w/ Color correction will be best. OK with you?
    edited May 22, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    I wonder why you'd not use Bay Photo's color correction and leave it to them? I'm also wondering if you're comparing apples to apples (True Color @ Bay vs. True Color @ EZ, same orders?)
    I have never wanted to utilize EZ at all because of the AUTO color fix (like at walgreens) which I hate hate hate because it changes things like "this picture" that is something I do for people that is almost half picture/art.

When you do something like this and run it through the machines that are not TRUE color the colors come out all skewed.

I have no clue how the colors were (True Color) at Bay and honestly my prices are so low (how I charge people) I would almost go broke on some pictures if I used it.

Maybe an explanation if I used it on the picture I linked above would be a good idea OR if I used it on the low light pictures.

If it's not "auto" what is it? Will they adjust it to satisfy the norm?

See I want it to look like I made it. Want the saturation bumped etc...

This is why I use TRUE color.
    edited May 22, 2009
    micki wrote:
    I have never wanted to utilize EZ at all because of the AUTO color fix (like at walgreens) which I hate hate hate because it changes things like "this picture" that is something I do for people that is almost half picture/art.

When you do something like this and run it through the machines that are not TRUE color the colors come out all skewed.

I have no clue how the colors were (True Color) at Bay and honestly my prices are so low (how I charge people) I would almost go broke on some pictures if I used it.

Maybe an explanation if I used it on the picture I linked above would be a good idea OR if I used it on the low light pictures.

If it's not "auto" what is it? Will they adjust it to satisfy the norm?

See I want it to look like I made it. Want the saturation bumped etc...

This is why I use TRUE color.
    They'd be done by hand, Color Corrected. OK?
    edited May 22, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    I believe it. Many of the photos are underexposed. And when printed they'll be even darker, since prints use reflected light, and on screen they're backlit.

I really think Bay w/ Color correction will be best. OK with you?
    Yes, anything like that would be great.

At this point.

Add the price (if you have to) on to my account.

Can you tell Linda at Help smugmug (I made an e-mail before I remembered I could ask a question here)

She says it will take several days to have someone contact me etc...

I am telling her I am talking with you.
    edited May 22, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Oh my...I must of made a real big mistake rolleyes1.gif

lol ~
    edited May 22, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    They'd be done by hand, Color Corrected. OK?

Yes, Color Corrected by hand

Thank you

I'm changing the whole gallery right now just in case he orders more.
  • PapalouiePapalouie Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    micki wrote:
    Yes, Color Corrected by hand

Thank you

I'm changing the whole gallery right now just in case he orders more.

Hi all, first of all we want you to be successful and will do whatever we must to make that happen. In that regard we have reprinted both of these orders and are ready to send them out at no charge. They are ready to ship but I need to get your ok before shipping them. Please let me know directly at larry@bayphoto.com.

Micki, please take a look at the images I attached. The before is your original image and the after is after we corrected it. What we sent originally was lightened from the original you see here. I have lightened it more and ready to ship. There is nothing in our systems that would trigger any alarm. We can always work with you to resolve any issue and if you have something urgent you can email me directly.

Dogdots, some of your originals are light and some are dark. You chose no color correction on your order. What you see attached is the before and after we color corrected it tonight. Kind of a fun one that shows what we do. I have this order ready to send to the original recipient, I think that is you, at no charge, just say the word. This will be a good one to compare these new prints with your first un-color corrected order.

Thanks for the comments,
    Larry

542872973_Pb3Qo-X3.jpg
    542872975_FqpV5-X3.jpg
    edited May 22, 2009
    Papalouie wrote:
    Hi all, first of all we want you to be successful and will do whatever we must to make that happen. In that regard we have reprinted both of these orders and are ready to send them out at no charge. They are ready to ship but I need to get your ok before shipping them. Please let me know directly at larry@bayphoto.com.

Micki, please take a look at the images I attached. The before is your original image and the after is after we corrected it. What we sent originally was lightened from the original you see here. I have lightened it more and ready to ship. There is nothing in our systems that would trigger any alarm. We can always work with you to resolve any issue and if you have something urgent you can email me directly.

Dogdots, some of your originals are light and some are dark. You chose no color correction on your order. What you see attached is the before and after we color corrected it tonight. Kind of a fun one that shows what we do. I have this order ready to send to the original recipient, I think that is you, at no charge, just say the word. This will be a good one to compare these new prints with your first un-color corrected order.

Thanks for the comments,
    Larry

542872973_Pb3Qo-X3.jpg
    542872975_FqpV5-X3.jpg

I like seeing this clap.gif But I must correct something. My first order from bayphoto was with the correction to be made by your staff. I paid $0.38 (4x6) for each print. My second order I placed last night before posting on this thread (I turned off the bayphoto color correction for this order) was for $0.25. That order # is 1004974.

Maybe something went wrong with my first order, because in your before and after views I see here -- it shows what I expected from bayphoto. Like I said previously -- my prints from you were wonderful the last time I used your services. I felt confindent that if I messed up with my photos being to light or dark your people would correct my editing skills :D
    edited May 22, 2009
    Papalouie wrote:

Thanks for the comments,
    Larry

Larry

Thank you so much.

I hit you with an e-mail as I had other questions about color corrections on the pictures I work myself and not wanting them changed up too much. I don't mind the help with the simple stuff like this (GOD KNOWS I NEED it right now with all the stuff I have been doing). :)

The pictures look great.

:) ~ Thank you for all your help.

I did want to make note if you noticed his one comment about the line that was across one of the pictures. Did you want me to send that picture back to you or find out the number on it?

Just curious.

Thanks so much. ~ micki
    edited May 22, 2009
    micki wrote:
    L
    I did want to make note if you noticed his one comment about the line that was across one of the pictures.
    Can you link me to that picture in your gallery? ear.gif
    edited May 22, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Can you link me to that picture in your gallery? ear.gif

It is "this" picture

this is what he says

Also got one pic back with a big gray line about 1 inch on the bottom of a 5X7

He also bought it in 4x6

I am going to buy several other pictures for him and send them to him and see how they are (different pictures) now that I have them color corrected clicked and hopefully that will make him go "wow".

He's a good guy and works with my hubby so (as you can tell buy what he says in his e-mail) he doesn't even want to hurt my feelings.

Honestly after all the sport/portrait pics I have sold I have never once had anyone had a problem so I'm actually pretty thrilled.

And that is after almost two years (I have my personal smugmug too).

So that is good odds.
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    micki wrote:
    It is "this" picture

this is what he says

Also got one pic back with a big gray line about 1 inch on the bottom of a 5X7

He also bought it in 4x6

I am going to buy several other pictures for him and send them to him and see how they are (different pictures) now that I have them color corrected clicked and hopefully that will make him go "wow".

He's a good guy and works with my hubby so (as you can tell buy what he says in his e-mail) he doesn't even want to hurt my feelings.

Honestly after all the sport/portrait pics I have sold I have never once had anyone had a problem so I'm actually pretty thrilled.

And that is after almost two years (I have my personal smugmug too).

So that is good odds.
    Micki I just looked at your file and there is no line in it. I can only assume the line was from the printer or the print was somehow damaged after it was printed. Error's like that are rare, especially from Bay, but they can happen. I also replied to your email to the help desk. Did you need that print re-done? If you already re-ordered it please send us the order number to the help desk and give a link to this thread. Well take care of it for you.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • PapalouiePapalouie Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    I like seeing this clap.gif But I must correct something. My first order from bayphoto was with the correction to be made by your staff. I paid $0.38 (4x6) for each print. My second order I placed last night before posting on this thread (I turned off the bayphoto color correction for this order) was for $0.25. That order # is 1004974.

Maybe something went wrong with my first order, because in your before and after views I see here -- it shows what I expected from bayphoto. Like I said previously -- my prints from you were wonderful the last time I used your services. I felt confindent that if I messed up with my photos being to light or dark your people would correct my editing skills :D

Sorry I think I got Dogdots and Micki reversed, Dogdots are the scenics and Micki's are the portraits.

Dogdots, we did lighten your first order, on 2nd one we are shipping out we lightened more.
    edited May 22, 2009
    gluwater wrote:
    Micki I just looked at your file and there is no line in it. I can only assume the line was from the printer or the print was somehow damaged after it was printed. Error's like that are rare, especially from Bay, but they can happen. I also replied to your email to the help desk. Did you need that print re-done? If you already re-ordered it please send us the order number to the help desk and give a link to this thread. Well take care of it for you.

Larry from Bay says he is re-printing my order thumb.gif

I did not re-order it on my own.

I also think that the line was probably from the printer (which is why I thought maybe the printer might have printed dark). I still plan on looking at the pictures myself. When I get a look at them I will know more myself.

I now see the feature when people order (click yes or no to color correct) and LOVE it. I can click on that individual button on each picture during the order process on each picture. Click on YES or NO for each picture. WHOO HOOO (I mean like I am really happy dancing here :ivar:ivar:ivar) Now I don't have to worry about the pictures I don't want color corrected and can have the ones I do want color corrected done.

This will save LOTS of time.

YEAH!!!!!

Great feature. Never really paid attention to it before.

Thanks guys for being the best customer service guys ever!