Shout out to Llywellyn

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited May 25, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Just wanted to say "thanks" to our newest Fearless Leader - we've kept her busy this week between tiebreaking megachallenges and potentially-contentious threads on top of the usual housekeeping and rudder-steering.

I've found these recent challenges very hard, but it's probably hit at just the right point in my personal growth curve as a photographer and I'm very grateful. Now I've moved a little beyond the basics (if only a little!) they're REALLY pushing me in new directions and forcing me not only to be more creative and improve my critical thinking as a photographer (which is still pretty new to me), but also to learn new skills in that process. That's WHY I've been doing these challenges from the get-go, and I really appreciate the opportunity to continue growing!!

Great job, Kerry, and thanks to everybody involved in keeping this thing afloat, including dgrin, smugmug and the others for continuing to sponsor DSS!!!!

Comments

• KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    Yeah Thanks
    Absolutely.. clap.gifwe have kept you very busy... thank you for your "patience" and your graciously invested personal time to keep it all going so that all of us can enjoy and learn. Big bow to Llywellyn, Judges and staff... and thanks to Diva for bringing it up...:D

Kat
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    Absolutely DITTO!

:Dwings.gif
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited May 22, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
    ABSOLUTELY SO TRUE!!
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    Aw, thanks guys. iloveyou.gif This certainly has been my own personal challenge this week. Didn't help that work (yeah, that "day job" thing) was exploding this week because I was on business travel last week. I'm looking forward to observing in a more relaxed manner this holiday weekend. :cavig

My fun is in watching the entries roll in, or waiting until the end to be surprised by a whole gallery of new photos at once. It's a real treat. clap.gif

So thank you all for keeping things interesting and educational for me, too. I wouldn't have much to do here without ya'. :D
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    hey if there are brownie points getting dished out i want some too:D

but seriously Kerry we love ya, but i sure miss your entries....
    Aaron Nelson
    edited May 22, 2009
    Quick
    Quick Diva, would ya give Aaron a brownie..rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Seriously though, since I joined,,, it seems you and Tom keep things rolling along... thank you both for that... you guys and your sticky privileges... or however that works.. too new to know....

I do know this: You have a gift for keeping the threads interesting.. wings.gifwoowhoooo..clap.gif what more can we ask for?

Cheers
    Kat

oh yeah and P.S> Llywellyn's entries scare me... I saw some of them in the galleries..boy she knows her stuff..!
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    Mmmmm .... brownies! binge.gif
  • justMEjustME Registered Users Posts: 209 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    clap.gif Three cheers for Llywellyn. THANK YOU.
    Canon EOS 30D & 50D
    Arizona, USA
    http://justineolson.smugmug.com/

..........................................................................................
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    hey if there are brownie points getting dished out i want some too:D

but seriously Kerry we love ya, but i sure miss your entries....

Awww, Aaron, you know we love you too iloveyou.gif

Kerry, are we ever going to see your work around this place in other forums? I haven't had a dose of your film noir sensibilities in ages - I miss them too!
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    Note that I do accept brownies as bribes. But they have to be made from scratch and really scrumptious. mwink.gif
    divamum wrote:
    Kerry, are we ever going to see your work around this place in other forums? I haven't had a dose of your film noir sensibilities in ages - I miss them too!

Here and there (I posted some shuttle photos last week). Sad to say the challenges really spurred me on the most for projects, and my pace has slowed now mainly because setting up shoots with models takes a lot out of me. I still have some in the works, but I do it once every couple months or so now instead of every couple weeks. :D

The model from "The Waiting" contacted me about working together again, so there may be something featuring her in the near future. thumb.gif
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Awww, Aaron, you know we love you too iloveyou.gif

lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif i meant from Kerry not from the peanut gallery:D
    Aaron Nelson
    edited May 22, 2009
    Peanut Gallery
    Hey... Watch it.. I resemble that comment buddy.......rolleyes1.gifeek7.gifD
    edited May 22, 2009
    Off to the kitchen..
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Note that I do accept brownies as bribes. But they have to be made from scratch and really scrumptious. mwink.gif

oh.. you see I make awesome brownies guys.. this is gonna play in my favor..clap.gif

Kat
    edited May 22, 2009
    oh.. you see I make awesome brownies guys.. this is gonna play in my favor..clap.gif

Kat

Not if I get to the kitchen first.... mwink.gifnaughty.gifrolleyes1.gif (for the record, on the packaged-brownie-mix front you can't beat Ghiradelli Chocolate Fudge - teh YUM!)
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009

Kat

Me too :D My brownies are world famous, thanks that is to my family living all over the world :giggle

It's a recipe my mother handed down to me that I've been working to refine for more than 40+ years, starting when she'd let me miss nap time to bake with her. Did I just out age?

But if anyone wants a world-class brownie, just come to my place for a cup of coffee and a chocolate fix :eat binge.gif

Oh, and a BIG THANK YOU to Kerry. ylsuper.gif
    edited May 22, 2009
    World Famous..
    oh no.... I wasn't supposed to get competition on the brownies tooooooooo..

I want some..... brownies are my favorite food group...

How about winner gets some of Llywellyn's World Famous Brownies.. Uncle for me, I fold... I can't compete with 40 years of experience.
    So I will just taste test..rolleyes1.giflust

Kat
    edited May 23, 2009
    I'd like to point out that my sister-in-law makes the Worst. Brownies. Ever. rolleyes1.gif

They are black and burned on the outside, and raw in the middle. yuck.

And whenever she brings them over, we all eat them and say things like "great brownies" and "delicious!"

There might be a lesson in there somewhere that's applicable to the Challenges. ne_nau.gifne_nau.gifne_nau.gif
    edited May 23, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    I'd like to point out that my sister-in-law makes the Worst. Brownies. Ever. rolleyes1.gif

And whenever she brings them over, we all eat them and say things like "great brownies" and "delicious!"

There might be a lesson in there somewhere that's applicable to the Challenges. ne_nau.gifne_nau.gifne_nau.gif

rolleyes1.gif :lol blbl.gifbiggrinbounce2.gif

Mark, I love your sense of irony!
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    MarkR wrote:

Sounds like your sister-in-law needs to cook her brownies a little bit longer at a lower temperature.

You're not trying to tell Kerry to turn the heat down on us, are you? lol3.gif
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
    edited May 23, 2009
    pyry wrote:
    Sounds like your sister-in-law needs to cook her brownies a little bit longer at a lower temperature.

Or that we need to bake our pictures longer? ne_nau.gifdunno

Or, when sister-in-law is visiting, and asking what to bring, say "wine." :D

There might be other lessons there as well. headscratch.gif
    edited May 23, 2009
    pyry wrote:

Slightly lower temperature (~175c or ~350F) and always turn the oven off as soon as you start to smell the rich chocolate through the kitchen and the edges start to pull away. They'll finish baking on their own.

Here's the 4-3-2 recipe:

Dry stuff:
    4 cups sugar
    3 cups flour
    2 cups cocoa
    ~1-2 teaspoons baking powder (altitude and flour type dependent)

Wet stuff:
    9 medium eggs
    3-4 tablespoons honey / treacle / molasses (your choice for flavoring)
    Healthly dose of pure vanilla extract (same as above, but vanilla beans are really good too)
    1 1/2 cups melted butter (unsalted)

Combine the eggs, syrup and vanilla in a wet bowl and the dry products in the mixing bowl. Melt the butter (unsalted) on low heat. Clarified is better. No need for the solids. Hold the butter until the remainder is incorporated.

This will be a thick batter, so prepare to sweat, putting your arms to a serious test. Better is to use a heavy duty mixer such as a KitchenAid. Handheld mixers have been known to leak smoke and die prepping this mix.

While on a low speed, start adding the egg mixture until the whole thing becomes gloppie. You're likely to have to scrape down the blades on occasion. Once done, start adding the melted butter slowly, also until incorporated. It should be a deep, glossy brown. Don't mix too much as this is meant to be heavy. You don't want too much air in the mixture.

(It's at this stage that you can add extra flavors through hand mixing before moving to baking pans. Mint leaves, Orange zest, Pecans, a shot of espresso, other tasty things)

Separate into two standard sized baking sheets and smooth using a long flexible spatula. It should be relatively thin in the pan. The oven should be pre-heated to ~350F or ~175C, depends on your oven.

Take the mixing blades out and hand to the children, give the mixing bowl to the men in the house. They will now leave you alone while they lick to their hearts content with rich, deep chocolate.

Baking time will vary from ~15 minutes to ~25 minutes depending on a ton of variables.

But I think I've share too much already. You'll need to figure the rest out on your own. :D

ETA: Use some of the spare, unmelted butter to line the pans. If you are not confident with sticking, then also cover the base (not the edges) with wax paper. Let cool for 15 or so minutes before slicing into squares. My Mom used to like to reserve some of the melted butter to mix with confectioner's sugar and a little more cocoa as an icing. It should be used before the brownies have cooled so it smoothes easily and penetrates the surface slightly.

Jenn
    edited May 23, 2009
    Oh, MAN Mischswiss - I've been looking for a really GOOD scratch brownie recipe for years (have never found one, hence why I've used the Ghiradelli mix and tweaked it with some extras of my own). I'll be trying this for dessert on Monday (it's a holiday weekend here in the US!)
    edited May 23, 2009
    You Are Awesome..
    Thank you so much for sharing.....clap.gifclapclap.gif I am going to work at making these for sure....

although the whole mixer smoking and dying thing kinda worries me..

looks like a workout... thank you so much..iloveyou.gif I am sure a lot of people on here will appreciate this generosity.. I know I appreciate it, thanks !!!

Not to mention I am sure it brings a tear to Llywellyn's eye that we are all sharing and getting along for a change.. hahaha.. wonder how long that will last..wings.gif

Kat
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    Mucho Gracias!
    thumb.gifclap.gif
    edited May 23, 2009
    Oh my gosh, now I feel pressure that I haven't forgotten anything in the recipe! I only normally think about this sort of stuff when I'm in the kitchen at my Brother's place in New Zealand. And just to be clear, I didn't mean 3-4 tablespoons of vanilla. Just a healthly flavoring. You'll get the hang of it after 40-50 batches... :giggle

I've added a few extra instructions in the original post.
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    Very much appreciated!
    I don't have any great brownie recipes nor have I actually ever baked any brownies :smo

But I would like to join every one in thanking Kerry for all the work she is doing, without her and all the other selfless volunteers we would never have a great place like Dgrin and DSS
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    sherstone wrote:
    I don't have any great brownie recipes nor have I actually ever baked any brownies :smo

But I would like to join every one in thanking Kerry for all the work she is doing, without her and all the other selfless volunteers we would never have a great place like Dgrin and DSS

thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    Or that we need to bake our pictures longer? ne_nau.gifdunno

Is it a picture of a brownie?
    MarkR wrote:
    Or, when sister-in-law is visiting, and asking what to bring, say "wine." :D

Yes. Cider would work as well.

I just found a place that has Thatchers Katy Rosé cider, good ol' Old Rosie has been topped.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    Kerry - I take my hat off to you. You're running this thing SO well and I am eternally grateful for all that you're doing. I know how much work it is and you are doing an AWESOME job! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifcheerleader.gifbiggrinbounce2.gif
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

edited May 24, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    This will be a thick batter, so prepare to sweat, putting your arms to a serious test. Better is to use a heavy duty mixer such as a KitchenAid. Handheld mixers have been known to leak smoke and die prepping this mix.

You're not kidding on the "glop" front! I actually halved the recipe (I figured for a family of three any recipe with 9 eggs might be a little de trop ;) but I don't have a Kitchen Aid so I had to mix it by hand.

The bowl-lickings were heartily approved by the 11-year old division.... can't wait till they come out of the oven to taste test!! thumb.gif