DSS #26 Modify the Light Unofficial Feedback Thread

hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
edited June 3, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here is the official gallery to give your C&C for DSS#26

Gallery Found Here..

This unofficial feedback thread is a catch-all of sorts, lets make it happen:thumb

Anyway, Lets get #26 Feedback started!!

This thread is:
  • a place to post a list of your top ten favorites. (be heard, and let everyone know what images moved you.)
  • a place to post your "the making of my image"
  • a place to ask someone "how did they do that?"(for us all to see:D )
Feedback is an important part of the photographic process. While those selected as finalists get feedback from the judges and those who vote, others are never quite sure where they stand. So share your thoughts both in this thread and with comments in the actual gallery. Constructive criticism should always be welcome.

As pointed out last month it's easy to post thumbnails (with help from our Moderator).

With the image selected in the gallery, copy its URL from your browser, add "-Th.jpg" to the end, delete the jumble of numbers and letters preceding the hashtag (#), change "gallery" to "photos" and that's it.

Example

Change this url

http://challenges.smugmug.com/gallery/7821877_VUfQz#508585564_r5YQB

To this

http://challenges.smugmug.com/photos/508585564_r5YQB-Th.jpg

Happy Feedbacking :scratch

Comments

• dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    Great Job Everyone!! Outstanding work once again.
    I had too many favorites... so here are some of them in the order entered.

ghinson - Brant Point Light
    MarkR - Bottled Light
    benjer - nifty rays to light yer 'maters
    DsrtVW - Moonlight on Barnwood
    JeffGroves – Heat
    coscorrosa - Sunset at the Palouse
    nightpixels - Mono Lake Tufas at Sunset
    KevXman – Illumination
    Eia - The Lord will give them light
    sherstone - Simply Citrus
    The Curious Camel - Inner Child
    KatMitchell - UMBRA
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    Do we really have to whittle it down? Can't I just post the entire gallery as favorites?! eek7.gif Such consistently high quality shots. As I said elsewhere, it just goes to prove that quality photography is all about LIGHT.

Here are a few of my favorites, in gallery order, but seriously - I could have picked a completely different set of photos and still feel they were my "favorites"!

541485545_jqC5G-Th.jpg543374833_QBm6a-Th.jpg545957064_2RUXK-Th.jpg546940802_V8Fym-Th.jpg547103028_byj5o-Th.jpg549007188_4JYdk-Th.jpg549448493_vZkFZ-Th.jpg549623782_g5gf6-Th.jpg550404053_YU2im-Th.jpg550994422_GN4FR-Th.jpg551436074_fmSpg-Th.jpg550421687_mFFVz-Th.jpg
    551469913_4jNgX-Th.jpg551508926_FpSGt-Th.jpg
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    So many great photos! Easily could have picked more for my favs, but narrowed it down to 10 after going back and forth on several. Good round everyone.

551782996_m9gLy-L.jpg

Good luck to all who entered.
    — Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    This has to be one of the best batch of photos I have seen here. They are all amazing, and some are truly spectacular; so many talented photographers here. bowdown.gif

I will slowly post my comments in the entry gallery.

Dan :D:D
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    It's amazing to see all of the different interpretations. I think these are some of the best entries that I've seen since I've been following the challenges (not long, but still...)! :D It was fascinating and also really "workshop" and educational-like for me to participate in and follow many of the C&C forums from start to finish. And for me, that's what these challenges are all about because I have a lot to learn and there are some talented masters here willing to share their knowledge. bowdown.gif

My favs this round in order of entry:

541485545_jqC5G-Th.jpg542940413_fZwDZ-Th.jpg543777212_sQgpU-Th.jpg545957064_2RUXK-Th.jpg546983520_gg3PH-Th.jpg549007188_4JYdk-Th.jpg549563369_DeVEP-Th.jpg549623782_g5gf6-Th.jpg550404053_YU2im-Th.jpg550421687_mFFVz-Th.jpg551035676_kAaQu-Th.jpg551436074_fmSpg-Th.jpg551469913_4jNgX-Th.jpg551508926_FpSGt-Th.jpg551518859_7XaMg-Th.jpg551543698_datnM-Th.jpg
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    Illumination – How I did it.
    I had always wanted to do something with a stained glass setting. When this challenge came up I figured it was time to give it a shot. I spent most of my lunches at the National Cathedral in Washington DC last week trying to get the image that I had in mind with just the right exposure. Either the interior was just right and the window was blown out or the window was just right and the interior was too dark. After many attempts, and learning a few things about my camera (D300), I ended up using the multiple exposure tract. Here are the 4 exposure that I used to get to the final product.

551822771_n5odU-M.jpg551822666_pMyKv-M.jpg551822719_awfpT-M.jpg551822821_6DGAF-M.jpg

Working in Photoshop, I combined the first three and played with Layer Attributes, Exposure, Curves, Saturation, and Levels to get the interior look that I wanted. I also cropped at this time.

551822881_8dtbd-L.jpg

As you can see, the window is still a little blown out.

I then took the darkest exposure, which was metered for the window, and masked out the stained glass.

551823081_Q9r9Z-M.jpg

Playing with the layer opacity and color saturation, I came up with what I felt looked good with the interior and window together.

551823170_JhQEu-L.jpg

I thought that this looked pretty good as is, but felt that it just needed a little something more for that little added oompf. I know, I'll add some sun beams coming from the window.

So, I copied the window layer. applied the mask and applied a motion blur.

551823190_RPSVH-L.jpg

I ran the distance up as far as it would go, it still wasn't far enough for what I had in mind, and played with the angle until it was pointing in the direction that I wanted.

551822609_D7Efw-L.jpg

I did the Apply Motion Blur 1 or 2 more times to get the distance on the sun beams that I wanted. Then I played with color saturation and layer opacity until I was satified that it didn't look too fake. According to some of the comments that I have recieved, I think I got pretty close, but it still needed a little tweaking. After some cloning, dodging/burning, and another slight crop, tah dah.

Illumination
    550350624_svxia-L.jpg

And there you have my "How I Did It". Thanks for looking.
    — Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    KevXman wrote:
    — Kevin

eek7.gif Wow! I still have a lot to learn! Brilliant! Very much appreciated for the How-To. Wish more would post here as well.

:D
  • thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    My Top 10 in order they are in the gallery
    Awesome pictures guys- great job :)

Passage - 2310
    dreamcometrue- Tulip in the spotlight
    richtersl - Chrysler Building in NYC
    MikeK - Floral Eclipse
    JeffGroves - Heat
    coscorrosa - Sunset at the Palouse
    Muddogbob - Lost in Deep Thought & Dark Shadows
    CAPTURED2H - EARLY MORNING INNER GLOW, SOMETIMES IT'S A LITTLE SLOW

p.s.-thanks kevxmen for liking my photo :)
    Green is the way to be!
    ashleyharding.smugmug.com
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    Well I sure hope I can get back to this. I’ll be flying east tomorrow; I have been called away as my Dad is having emergency surgery. Fortunately I will have computer access back there.

Saying that; this is a most difficult challenge because there are exceptional photos entered. I can't imagine having to judge this one. It is going to be difficult to choose the top ten so I had to make sure 'modified light' was in the forefront of my mind.

My top ten in no particular order – as difficult as it is to choose:

JAG- Glow In The Dark Universe
    JeffGroves – Heat
    Muddogbob - Lost in Deep Thought & Dark Shadows
    moose135 - Day is Done
    CAPTURED2H - EARLY MORNING INNER GLOW, SOMETIMES IT'S A LITTLE SLOW
    KatMitchell – UMBRA
    cmurph – RoughBoys
    dlplumer - Two Jack Lake
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    Well I sure hope I can get back to this. I’ll be flying east tomorrow; I have been called away as my Dad is having emergency surgery. Fortunately I will have computer access back there.

Saying that; this is a most difficult challenge because there are exceptional photos entered. I can't imagine having to judge this one. It is going to be difficult to choose the top ten so I had to make sure 'modified light' was in the forefront of my mind.

Sorry to hear about your Dad, Eia... I do hope everything goes well for him. I do hope you have a safe journey East.

Kat
    edited June 1, 2009
    Well, with the time it takes me to fumble around and produce little thumbnail photos here, I have decided to just utilize the entry gallery for my comments on the entries... Already left one on each photo....

This round was a challenge for sure and I learned a lot and had fun.. The support was super and you all are a wonderful support team....clap.gif Since I have been here, this has to be "the" most challenging round yet, not to mention the stoutest competition too.. Everyone did a wonderful job in my opinion.. and I learned a lot from seeing your work..

Kevin: Thanks for the share on the technique... I had no idea you could produce beams that way in PS,,, I did it the hard way with the line tool.. Nice to learn that... and thanks..thumb.gif

Kat
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    How I did it
    Thank you to those who've left feedback regarding my entry! I've made my own comments in the Challenge gallery. I don't envy the judges!

They say a good magician never reveals his tricks, but I'm a mediocre photographer, and therefore exempt from that rule. :D

I started with my homemade lightbox (old diaper box, diffusers made of white t-shirts, lots of tape.)
    552167346_Lyjw3-M.jpg

I turned the lightbox upside down (so a diffuser edge was facing the bottom) onto a glass table we had in the back.

Underneath said table, I had my super-duper gooseneck desk lamp, with foil "hat"* to allow me to direct and control light, similar to a snoot. The precarious balancing of the lamp on a Marilyn Manson lunchbox is strictly optional, btw.
    552166917_dEoms-M.jpg

At Target, there was a set of four "miniature vases" (that's what it said on the package!) next to the shot glasses, which was what I was originally going to use. One of the vases was chipped, so I ended up not using it. Total expenditure: $4.

To each vase I added two teaspoons of water, and a drop of McCormick food coloring. Two drops for the red, otherwise it looked weirdly pinkish-orange.
    549265669_NE3bS-M-1.jpg

Into the lightbox I put black construction paper which had holes cut into the bottom that were slightly smaller than the bottom of the bottles.

552167718_jiJfV-M.jpg

Construction paper was not the best material to use for this project, btw. as it was too reflective. I tried to use a heavy black t-shirt, but it allowed too much light through it. My wife suggested black felt, but I was already $4 over budget for this projectmwink.gif

The bottles (with water and food coloring) were put over the holes in the paper, and the lamp underneath the glass table was turned on. The results were better than I could have hoped for!

It was then just a matter of doing test shots and blocking stray reflections using cardboard and an old tablecloth, trying different angles, etc.

Post processing was pretty much limited to minor tone changes to darken the darks, get rid of some stray reflections, and brighten the bottles slightly.

543351020_kQPrR-L.jpg

*see? There was a foil hat used in the making of this image. Conspiracy theorists, take note!
    edited June 1, 2009
    uh huh.. I knew you were in cahoots with the aliens... rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for the share... the light box in action ... cool.....

Kat
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited June 1, 2009
    There are too many awsome photos in the gallery so I am going to say everyone gets on my list! Super work and I agree with those who have said the quality of work is getting astoudingly better each round!

Thank you for those who left comments in the gallery and who picked me in the favs!

My how too is so simple and I didn't take pics of the setup but how I did it was written in my original thread at the begining.... http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=131231
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    Thanks to those who shared their techniques. :D And thanks to those who commented.

At one point I thought I might have a chance. bowdown.gif

My technique was exceptionally simple - be in the right place (with the camera) and get lucky! The light that evening was perfect and I had a few others that are keepers. Thinking about the challenge is sure motivating!

All are exceptional. Here are my favorites, not necessarily in order (first attempt at thumbnails)
    http://challenges.smugmug.com/photos/551035676_kAaQu-Th.jpg
    http://challenges.smugmug.com/photos/551149717_E7DBA-Th.jpg
    http://challenges.smugmug.com/photos/551469913_4jNgX-Th.jpg
    http://challenges.smugmug.com/photos/551474268_PMgc6-Th.jpg
    http://challenges.smugmug.com/photos/551518859_7XaMg-Th.jpg
    http://challenges.smugmug.com/photos/551543698_datnM-Th.jpg
    http://challenges.smugmug.com/photos/543005966_rzJJu-Th.jpg
    http://challenges.smugmug.com/photos/550404053_YU2im-Th.jpg
    http://challenges.smugmug.com/photos/549563369_DeVEP-Th.jpg
    http://challenges.smugmug.com/photos/550994422_GN4FR-Th.jpg
    edited June 2, 2009
    OK. What did I do wrong. When I click on it, I go to the thumbnail. ne_nau.gif
  • BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    WhatSheSaw wrote:
    OK. What did I do wrong. When I click on it, I go to the thumbnail. ne_nau.gif

"IMG" should be all caps, like this:

imagenameblahblahblah
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
    edited June 2, 2009
    Thanks, but it still didn't work.
  • BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    rainmaker, rays 'n 'maters
    Oh, in case anyone's interested in how I did the tomato shot, it wasn't as simple as it looks! I mentioned a little about it in my C&C thread, but here's the story.

I was initially inspired by a sudden late evening sun shower - the golden light of the low sun turned the gentle rain into spectacular golden sparkles everywhere. I ran to get my camera but by the time I got back outside the rain had all but stopped and a big dark cloud covered the sun. So I thought I'd try to simulate what I saw with an off-camera flash and spray hose.

I went out to the backyard garden, which though nice and green, didn't have much to photograph. So I grabbed some tomatoes from the 'fridge and piled them on an upturned tin tub, then grabbed the hose and did my best to make it look like rain. Tried several attempts with the flash but it wasn't very convincing as sunlight, and the backlight left heavy shadows in front.

Just when I was about to give up, the clouds parted and I had a few seconds of sun before the next batch of clouds rolled in. I fired off a few shots, holding the flash up front for fill, and ended up with only one with the right combination of sun and "rain." Had to tweak the saturation and contrast quite a bit, since the original exposure was set without the fill. It was a fun learning experience, and I managed to keep the camera dry in the process!
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    absolutely amazing!!!!
    This round brought forth some outstanding images the bar is being set higher and higher each time!
    I will eventually take the time to make some comments on my favorites but for now I thought some of you might be interested in a behind the scenes look at "Simply Citrus".
    Simply Citrus was born, after my wife suggested going back to the basics since the last several rounds my projects have been increasingly complex.

No tricks and no PS wizardry this time around - my goal was to be in camera except for color, tone, and contrast adjustments and my prerequisite burning and dodging.
    Modify the light..... well what immediately came to mind for me was a snoot, one of my favorite light modifiers. Then to top that off why not modify it a second time by projecting the color of a subject through itself.
    Three slices about 1/2 in thick, a paper towel to soak up most of the drippings, some rough watercolor paper and some black felt to fashion a snoot on the flash.

552603478_aEak6-L.jpg

Here is what it looks like with the flash firing from this angle.

552603484_ZSJa8-L.jpg

And....
    this is what I ended up with straight out of Lightroom.
    552603488_wPYnm-L.jpg

Mostly some localized contrast adjustments, dodging and burning plus some minor cloning to fix an odd bump in the shape of the orange and lemon on the bottom.

One of the comments in the gallery mentions that the fruits looked like they had dried out in the fridge. I'm not sure why this was interpreted but the fruit is only about 20 min from being sliced here.

Once again thanks for all the amazing comments and thanks to those who put "Simply Citrus" in their top ten picks.

This group is so... AWESOME!
    edited June 2, 2009
    MarkR wrote:

I started with my homemade lightbox (old diaper box, diffusers made of white t-shirts, lots of tape.)

*see? There was a foil hat used in the making of this image. Conspiracy theorists, take note!

Such a cool behind the scenes, Thanks MarkR!
    I like how you said that you had already gone $4 over budget !!!!!
    edited June 2, 2009
    KevXman wrote:
    I had always wanted to do something with a stained glass setting.

— Kevin

I agree I think you pulled off the light rays VERY well!
    One of my favorites this round for sure.
  • LustuLustu Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited June 2, 2009
    This is pretty cool to share all backstage tricks, tks for everybody doing that. I gonna do it with mine, the "Sorcery".
    I used a laser pen and a pack of cigarettes...

The pen I found in a mall last week does not only make one ray, but multiple ones, like in night clubs :ivar
    The tricky part was to make these rays visible. One bad idea was to make a campfire in the room, I chose to use the smokes of a cigarette bowdown.gif
    So I raised a speedlight with a snoot above me, setup the camera to 5sec f/9, and hid the pen and the cigarette in my hands.
    This one was rejected as we can see the cigarette

_MG_6589 - Version 2 (3).jpg

But you get it now :

548075489_VU2Dy-M.jpg
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    sherstone wrote:
    Such a cool behind the scenes, Thanks MarkR!
    I like how you said that you had already gone $4 over budget !!!!!

Thanks. Looking at your behind the scenes, I may have to invest in some black felt! I get paid Friday ... wings.gif

I already know this next challenge is going to cost at least $1.29 in materials. :cry
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    Uff.... what a difficult round to judge, in addition to my not so extended experience.... headscratch.gif

I could hardly choose 20 top photos from all the fantastic entries and from those it was even
    more difficult to limit my favorites to only 10.

Here they are in order of my personal preference:

552753390_bm8mR-L.jpg

I don't know what the final results will be though...ne_nau.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • jeffgrovesjeffgroves Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    Not enough heat ;0
    So, I guess that I didn't put enough heat on that pitch to get it in the finals. ne_nau.gif I wasn't expecting it really. Man, there really were some awesome photos entered this time around.

Congratulations to everyone that entered, all winners in my book! Thanks to everyone who provided me with feedback prior to the event and thanks to everyone that left me a comment.

549161830_zp3s8-S.jpg
    While I didn't document my shoot, I can tell you that I used a simple two strobe setup with a grid snoot on camera left and fill light on camera right.

More importantly, several asked how I was able to hold the baseball after setting the ball of fire. I will say that after several shots, it started to bother the tip of my index finger, which is why it is more bent in this shot (don't worry, my shutter finger will live for another challenge).

So here is how I did it and where I found the inspiration to create this shot. http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-make-fireballs-you-can-hold-in-your-hand-110568/ (I used sandpaper to prepare the baseball, so it would absorb the fluid).

Again, congratulations to all that entered! thumb.gif
  • manboumanbou Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    jeffgroves wrote:
    So, I guess that I didn't put enough heat on that pitch to get it in the finals. ne_nau.gif I wasn't expecting it really. Man, there really were some awesome photos entered this time around.
    I thought you had a winner, Jeff. You wuz robbed!
    "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Photography is often finding something cool and taking a picture of it."[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] -- Ken Rockwell[/FONT]
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    jeffgroves wrote:
    More importantly, several asked how I was able to hold the baseball after setting the ball of fire.

You held a fireball in your hand ... dude. eek7.gifbowdown.gif
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    You held a fireball in your hand ... dude. eek7.gifbowdown.gif

I just want ya'll to realize that this is coming from a woman who set ice on fire. nod.gifrolleyes1.gif

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/167709#359424268_Sbtzk
    edited June 2, 2009
    sherstone wrote:
    This round brought forth some outstanding images the bar is being set higher and higher each time!
    I will eventually take the time to make some comments on my favorites but for now I thought some of you might be interested in a behind the scenes look at "Simply Citrus".
    Simply Citrus was born, after my wife suggested going back to the basics since the last several rounds my projects have been increasingly complex.

No tricks and no PS wizardry this time around - my goal was to be in camera except for color, tone, and contrast adjustments and my prerequisite burning and dodging.
    Modify the light..... well what immediately came to mind for me was a snoot, one of my favorite light modifiers. Then to top that off why not modify it a second time by projecting the color of a subject through itself.
    Three slices about 1/2 in thick, a paper towel to soak up most of the drippings, some rough watercolor paper and some black felt to fashion a snoot on the flash.

Hi Sean,, always learning by watching you carefully... always running to your site to study your work, and your composite set-ups too.. you have been an inspiration from the time I joined up, and I learn so much... So, thanks for sharing..... Oh yeah, and I have to agree with the "wifey" on this one... its a good idea to target exercise "all" your talent muscles and keep a balance... so kuddos to you for having such a friend in a wife.....:ivar

Kat