DSS #26 Modify the Light Unofficial Feedback Thread

2»

Comments

• KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    Lustu wrote:
    This is pretty cool to share all backstage tricks, tks for everybody doing that. I gonna do it with mine, the "Sorcery".
    I used a laser pen and a pack of cigarettes...

The pen I found in a mall last week does not only make one ray, but multiple ones, like in night clubs :ivar
    The tricky part was to make these rays visible. One bad idea was to make a campfire in the room, I chose to use the smokes of a cigarette bowdown.gif
    So I raised a speedlight with a snoot above me, setup the camera to 5sec f/9, and hid the pen and the cigarette in my hands.
    This one was rejected as we can see the cigarette

Nice Share Lustu.. thumb.gif Thanks.. really creative there.. I am glad the first one did not work out.. Because I really like the harsh shadows on the side of the face on the second one...It really gives it that sorcerer appeal coming out of the dark area.. Great job..

Kat
    edited June 2, 2009
    Hi Bug
    photo-bug wrote:
    Uff.... what a difficult round to judge, in addition to my not so extended experience.... headscratch.gif

I could hardly choose 20 top photos from all the fantastic entries and from those it was even
    more difficult to limit my favorites to only 10.

Here they are in order of my personal preference:

I don't know what the final results will be though...ne_nau.gif
    ========================================================

Well Photobug..... That was tough Missy... Not easy choices to make, but you went with your best instinct and personal judgment, and that is the best any judge can do individually...!!!!

I personally think you did wonderfully, it can't be easy picking from your fellow peers... I dont envy you....... Did miss having you around on the board though... It is always so fun.....rolleyes1.gif

Kat
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    no time to link anything this round, but i added a few comments to the gallery...
    Aaron Nelson
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    I just want ya'll to realize that this is coming from a woman who set ice on fire. nod.gifrolleyes1.gif

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/167709#359424268_Sbtzk

rolleyes1.gif

The only possible point of "behind the scenes" interest for mine is that the "wall" behind me was in fact a small piece of foamboard propped on my piano. The biggest challenge was simply that I don't have enough SPACE - it's easy enough to use blinds as a gobo but the only window situated where I could safely put my flash was the front window (overlooking the porch) which left me zero space inside to stand, which is why composition was so tough.

Here's the 9x10 room I use as a "studio", aka my music room (here set up for a completely different shoot some months ago - 'scuse the very bad stitch job on this quickie snap!) - the window in question is where that makeshift backdrop is hanging, and I was kneeling in front of it with my back to the piano, the foamboard set on the piano itself

studiostitch.jpg

Other than that, it's an easy setup - just keep the flash slightly angled to avoid a hotspot on the window and shoot through the blinds onto the "wall" for shadows, putting subject in between to catch the light. The 2nd batch I did added a snooted 2nd flash dialled way down sitting on the bookcase to light my face a little more (I personally preferred the light in those, but without the extra space to get the full "Film Noir" impact of the shadows on a full wall it required funny crops and didn't quite come off, so I stuck with my first effort where, by luck, my positioning meant the light fell exactly on my eye)

Btw, the arty semi-abstract quasi-nude I did was just my back leaning over onto the piano; alas, I never quite managed to get camera, flash and me in the same position again, so I had to abandon that one as a lucky shot and call it quits!
    edited June 2, 2009
    jeffgroves wrote:
    So, I guess that I didn't put enough heat on that pitch to get it in the finals. ne_nau.gif I wasn't expecting it really. Man, there really were some awesome photos entered this time around.

Congratulations to everyone that entered, all winners in my book! Thanks to everyone who provided me with feedback prior to the event and thanks to everyone that left me a comment.

549161830_zp3s8-S.jpg

:ivarThat video was cool Jeff.. I could have sworn this was a composite.. thanks for sharing that.. Awesome.. and you did wonderfully for your first round... You never know what the judges will personally prefer,, but that does not mean your work is not winning material.... they have to narrow it down......
    I do look forward to your next submission.. Katthumb.gif
    edited June 2, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif

Btw, the arty semi-abstract quasi-nude I did was just my back leaning over onto the piano; alas, I never quite managed to get camera, flash and me in the same position again, so I had to abandon that one as a lucky shot and call it quits!
    =====================================================

Artsy Semi-Abstract Quasi-Nude? eek7.gifhuheek7.gif lol... Diva lingo ?

Your a Laugh Riot..rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Thanks for the share.. and congrats on making the cut Diva, very worthy photothumb.gif

Kat
  • LoriKTMLoriKTM Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    Well, I sure picked an exciting challenge for my first entry! Congrats to all the finalists clap.gif , and bowdown.gif to everyone who participated. Awesome entries!

I'm a noob to this sport, plus my post processing skills are sadly lacking, so I knew whatever I did would have to work right out of the camera.

"Modify light" makes me think of reflection, refraction, and the different ways to accomplish that. I also thought of using a prism, but didn't have one handy. However, I though I might get some neat effects refracting a beam of light through water. It was harder than it sounds.

One evening I played around with a laser pointer, LED lights, and a wine glass filled with water. What I ended up with was two identical wine glasses, one filled with water and one empty. In between them was a sheet of white computer paper. (My high-tech background.)
    The whole thing was lit from behind with a red LED light (from our camping gear), which combined with the white paper gave it a nice diffuse glow. I saw the resulting illusion two ways-- there is a wine glass shape echoed in pink light inside the original glass, as well as the suggestion that the empty glass in front is full (due to the shadow of the full glass behind it).

546201068_54vqe-Th.jpg

The reflections from the stem were an added bonus. Ah well. I had fun doing it, and I think it turned out pretty well for my first "studio" shot. :D
    edited June 2, 2009
    Wow Lori,

who knew so much work went into this set up.... I think it was a good first entry... stick around and this crowd will teach you a lot... Welcome to the DG:D

Being the new "digital darkroom" it is a must to learn the post processing....The best way to master the Photoshop skills is to do it often... go to youtube.com and look up photoshop tutorials and open any photo on your computer and step through the tutorials, it is the best way to learn..

Look forward to seeing what you bring the next round.. thumb.gif

Kat
  • LoriKTMLoriKTM Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited June 2, 2009

Being the new "digital darkroom" it is a must to learn the post processing....The best way to master the Photoshop skills is to do it often... go to youtube.com and look up photoshop tutorials and open any photo on your computer and step through the tutorials, it is the best way to learn..

Look forward to seeing what you bring the next round.. thumb.gif

Kat

Hi Kat, and thanks for the welcome!

I don't even have Photoshop yet. Just using GIMP for basic curves/levels/USM. As a beginner I'm trying to work on camera/composition skills first, hoping that the better the picture is in camera, the less processing I have to do later. One thing at a time... :D
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    LoriKTM wrote:

I don't even have Photoshop yet. Just using GIMP for basic curves/levels/USM. As a beginner I'm trying to work on camera/composition skills first, hoping that the better the picture is in camera, the less processing I have to do later. One thing at a time... :D

You don't necessarily need Photoshop. You just need a good image editor that you feel comfortable with. GIMP is as good as any for most needs. thumb.gif
    edited June 2, 2009
    Of course this is every photographers goal, out of camera perfection..:D

I am not saying use it as a crutch.. I am saying it is the second most important skill to build, aside of your shooting skills.. and is crucial. At least in my opinion....

And yes, what Mark said, Gimp is just fine to learn on too.. I hear those that don't use PS, prefer GIMP.. so it must be a good program.. although I don't personally have any experience with it...

All the same.. Good luck to you in building your photography skills.. and have fun with it...thumb.gif

Kat
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    LoriKTM wrote:

I use Gimp also, and as little as possible. I have been told by people that have used both that Gimp is a very comparable software to PS. It is all what you learn on. For me, f I have to spend hundreds of dollars to post process my photos, it wouldn't be worth it.

I would never have guessed this was your first entry. You did an excellent job! As for your hi-tech background... hey, whatever works! Sometimes it is the most unexpected things that make the photo what it is.

Glad you've joined the fun here.
  • CAPTURED2HCAPTURED2H Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    First I want to thank all those that picked my shot in their picks and to those that took the time to comment on the challenge post. I am most honored by the kind comments.
    Great shots by all in this one and congratulation to the finals and good luck.
    I am sorry but I do not have access to a computer on a daily basis so I am a bit late to respond. A few answers to the question. I shot this with a friend early morning and it was overcast and damp. Shooting birds was well not a good idea. So looking around found the snails and at about that time a ray of sun, like a flash light came streaming thru. I ask if I could use his 500 and tripod and luck was with me. We took a few shots but this one was great. You never see with the naked eye what in a fraction of second a camera can capture. Very little PS on this, it was pointed out to crop out part of the plant and this may be a good idea? But a few folks that shoot wildlife do so to show the subjects they shot or their action and surroundings. I like the shot the way it is, this is not a snail in a garden it live it harsh times and still has time to glow.
    Thank you all you have made an old man smile and again many thanks !
    edited June 3, 2009
    CAPTURED2H wrote:
    I like the shot the way it is, this is not a snail in a garden it live it harsh times and still has time to glow.
    Thank you all you have made an old man smile and again many thanks !

=============================================================

I Agree 100%.... I love that you captured it the way you did in its own natural environment.. It gives it a ton of character and tells its story of survival, plus it shows us some of the photographer's story as well.... Love the shot, very nice and look forward to seeing your other entries...thumb.gif

Kat