Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS #27: Singular or Plural (Exclusive Black and White Challenge)

Comments

• Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2009
    Jumpin Crap, Ahh.... i get it....
    when Im avoiding our Bull (whom wants me DEAD btw) i rarely avoid the crap, usually I find myself running through the crap for dear life.....:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    Jumpin Crap, Ahh.... i get it....
    when Im avoiding our Bull (whom wants me DEAD btw) i rarely avoid the crap, usually I find myself running through the crap for dear life.....:D

The four basic principals of CRAP by Robin Williams (The Non Designers Design Book)
    Contrast: ...Contrast is often the most important visual attraction on a page ...
    Repetition: Repeat visual elements of the design throughout the piece...
    Alignment: Nothing should be placed on the page arbitrarily...
    Proximity: Items relating to each other should be grouped close together...

The four basic principals of CRAP by Lovers of hedgehogs and rings of fire
    Contrast: The bigger the contrast your low lifestyle is against the smart-arse who drives the Porsche the more crappier you feel ...
    Repetition: The more repetitive your unhealthy eating habits are the more crappier you feel...
    Alignment: If you align yourself with people having crap thrown at them and stand in front of the line the more crappier you will feel...
    Proximity: The closer you stand to crappy people the more crappier your will feel...
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    #1 - it is "ya'll"
    #2 - It is "sweet tea", not iced tea... or in my house a good sugary batch is Mamaw tea, becuz of my grandmother.
    #3 - "coke", although here in Texas we have the Dr. Pepper capital and in my house Big Red rules
    #4 - Kat, you haven't lived if you don't eat okra. Please at least tell me you eat some good ole' chicken n' dumplin's. (Not that junk with all the vegtables)
    #5 - Emily, Hot tea and milk? and they let you stay in Georgia? I would have thought it was against the law or somethin'. Geogia is about as southern as they come.

:D Thanks ya'll, I needed something to read before bed and you were very intertaining! iloveyou.gif

(** please note ~ :lol I'm just playin')
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    Ahhhh! It's "y'all." A contraction of "you all." It is not like "you'll." :soapbox

(Also from Texas and thus also right, because all Texans are inherently right. In their own minds. mwink.gif)

Now to have coffee and use my editing powers for good...and for being paid to work myself into a tizzy over things no one else cares about. :giggle
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Ahhhh! It's "y'all." A contraction of "you all." It is not like "you'll." :soapbox

(Also from Texas and thus also right, because all Texans are inherently right. In their own minds. mwink.gif)

Now to have coffee and use my editing powers for good...and for being paid to work myself into a tizzy over things no one else cares about. :giggle

:D ok, a fellow Texan, I can't argue that. Therefore, we are both correct.
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    Check the map deal.gif

If you're west or south of Syracuse NY, it's "pop."

Gave me a complex when I went to SUNY Binghamton all those years ago.
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    Check the map deal.gif

It's true!!! I was born & raised in Syracuse... when I was about 8 we visited an aunt and uncle in the Buffalo area and my aunt asked if I wanted some "pop." I had to ask my mom if I liked that!!! rolleyes1.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    Oh, no. There is a grammatical police lady on board. Be sure to watch your run on sentences, and your split infinitives...and lets not forget, the over use of commas.
    I love those.. I am guessing my posts just drive her nuts....rolleyes1.gif

Yes, Donna,, I have lived, I tried Okra.. loved it until I got to the slimy center... YUCK...

I sure make a mean texmex chili and hand rolled flour tortilla though.. yummy.........iloveyou.gif

Kat
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    Check the map deal.gif

Well that explains why we called it "soda pop" instead of one or the other...
    we lived in Pueblo, Colorado and Rye.. and that borders the yellow and the blue zone..

Neat Map..thumb.gif
  • Options
    lukaokolukaoko Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    just submitted my "thomas" photo for this challenge. since this is my first challenge, any feedback is greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2009
    An even better link: http://http://popvssoda.com:2998/

Even has a breakdown for the "other" responses, (some of which are Not Safe For Work.)

Most important part?

CONCLUSION

People who say "Pop" are much, much cooler.

rolleyes1.gif

I also learned that "Pop" is a soda-jerk contraction of "Phosphates." Dunno if it's actually true, but if it's not, it should be. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2009
    neptun wrote:
    just submitted my "thomas" photo for this challenge. since this is my first challenge, any feedback is greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

You might want to post your image in a new thread with "DSS #27" in the title. You'll likely get the most/best feedback that way.

The peoples on this board are very friendly and helpful! (except me, I hijack threads. headscratch.gif)

Welcome to Dgrin! clap.gifclapclap.gif
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2009
    and im the POT STIRRER'ER'ER'ER

(howz/ Did, yA - Like that, Word.; manbou? i ... made iT / Juzt For4 ... u,)
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    lukaokolukaoko Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    cool, will do MarkR.
    thanks for ur help
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2009
    Aaron... :smack

And what a horrid way to help end an editor's week. Reading that made my head :splat.
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2009
    :D stir'n stir'n..... cant wait to get my entry posted....rolleyes1.gif

:hide
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    An even better link: http://http://popvssoda.com:2998/

Even has a breakdown for the "other" responses, (some of which are Not Safe For Work.)

Most important part?

rolleyes1.gif

I also learned that "Pop" is a soda-jerk contraction of "Phosphates." Dunno if it's actually true, but if it's not, it should be. thumb.gif

=======================================================

Yep, we the "soda pop" people are hip beyond all belief... Can't help ourselves...wings.gif.. couple that with our awesome 80's upbringing and well..awesomeness..

--- thanks for the link Mark the "Thread Hijacker"..:crazy Maybe I will just call you "Jack" or how about "TJ", yeah.. I like TJ... So T.J who is next on your list..:cavig

And Aarron > > :nono ..... Sorry Kerry, I can't help but laugh... :giggle
  • Options
    DuffDuff Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 6, 2009
    What does Singular or Plural refer to?
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge #27

Welcome to Round #27 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges. This challenge is open to any Dgrin member. It will run from Monday, June 1, 08:00am, EST time (GMT -5) to Monday, June 15, 08:00am, EST time (GMT -5).

The topic ready for your interpretation: Singular or Plural (Exclusive Black and White Challenge)

One, two, many, lots... How many will you choose? However many, it or they must be in black and white. No tints. No colors. Just black and white and shades of grey.

Your Judges:
    Greensquared (Winner of Round 24)
    TBA (Guest Judge)

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a Smugmug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page: Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your exif will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules, there have been some slight modifications.
    Is it the subject(s)? You can only submit one photo right? I just joined Smug today! forgive my greenness.
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2009
    Yes, Either shoot > One Subject or Many Subjects... you have to choose one....

Yes, you only get to submit one photo.. and for this round it must be black and white..only.....no color at all..

Welcome Aboard..

Kat
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    To add to Kat's explanation: Singular/Plural is the THEME for the round - your photo must somehow reflect that concept either literally, or interpreted in some way or to quote our beloved Former Fearlest Leader Greensquared, "Yours to interpret as you wish". (Which always sounds like the instruction on an A-level essay question!! rolleyes1.gif)

Have fun - and welcome to dgrin! wave.gif
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2009
    yes... what she said..

Like the new profile pic Diva.. man.. I really need to get around to updating mine...

:D Kat
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2009
    yes... what she said..

Like the new profile pic Diva.. man.. I really need to get around to updating mine...

:D Kat
    careful... don't want to put ideas into "you know who's" mind for a T-H-E-M-E.
    :D
    rolleyes1.gif :lol
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    careful... don't want to put ideas into "you know who's" mind for a T-H-E-M-E.
    :D
    rolleyes1.gif :lol

oh yeah, "you know who"...

walking on egg shells.. thanks for the reminder.

So, Donna.. where is your latest submission? Looked and looked and have not seen it anywhere on the board.. are you gonna go with the wardrobe malfunction after all? :lol4
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2009

• Options
    edited June 7, 2009
    oh no... she heard us..11doh.gif
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2009

walking on egg shells.. thanks for the reminder.

So, Donna.. where is your latest submission? Looked and looked and have not seen it anywhere on the board.. are you gonna go with the wardrobe malfunction after all? :lol4

I haven't had time. My son Graduated yesterday and it has been chaos for days. We weren't even sure if he would get to walk until Thursday afternoon. He still had to make up English 4 this summer. He had failed geometetry too but his teacher let him retake the fianl and he squeaked by. :whew
    Hopefully I will get to it this week. It's busy too, but maybe not quite as bad.
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2009
    oh.. the stress of it.. I am so thankful my son is still 12yrs..old.. graduation sounds stressful.... You sounds very busy as usual... hopefully you will find some time for a little R&R and Shoot..

Ya know, there may be some potential in that graduation hat being so black, maybe on a white background or a white marble background.. that's what popped into my head the minute you said graduation... thought to share that...

So that is where the black and white balloons came from... I wondered..headscratch.gif

I will keep my eye out on the board should you find the time to get one up....thumb.gif

Kat
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:

I may be sucking wind this challenge, but I've got my Discworld picture all ready for the next Challenge!

It is going to be Discworld, right? mwink.gifmwink.gif

"The Turtle Moves"
    558484590_W9NG8-M.jpg

Alas, the zookeeper would not let me balance a giant disk on its back. :cry
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    I may be sucking wind this challenge, but I've got my Discworld picture all ready for the next Challenge!

:haha
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2009
    oh.. the stress of it.. I am so thankful my son is still 12yrs..old.. graduation sounds stressful.... You sounds very busy as usual... hopefully you will find some time for a little R&R and Shoot..

Ya know, there may be some potential in that graduation hat being so black, maybe on a white background or a white marble background.. that's what popped into my head the minute you said graduation... thought to share that...

So that is where the black and white balloons came from... I wondered..headscratch.gif

I will keep my eye out on the board should you find the time to get one up....thumb.gif

Kat
    Nothing from graduation. We borrowed his cap and gown, so they are gone now. Balloons were from a party my younger sond class had at the park.