SmugShowBuilder - Quickly generate HTML and URLs for SmugMug Flash Slideshows

wellmanwellman Swimming for ThemPosts: 961Registered Users Major grins
I'm pleased to announce the release of SmugShowBuilder! SmugShowBuilder is another little project of mine which I've decided to make freely available to the SmugMug community. (The other is AlbumFetcher.) It's a simple web app that serves two main functions:

1. Quickly create the HTML for embedded SmugMug Flash Slideshows
2. Create URLs for full-screen versions of SmugMug Flash Slideshows

SmugShowBuilder is web-based (hosted on Google AppSpot), so it should run on any internet-connected computer. It's completely free to use.

This DGrin thread will be the project's home page. Feedback is extremely appreciated, and if there are bugs and/or other issues (as there always are), please let me know here. This is a hobby, so I can't hope to live up to SmugMug's standard of customer service, but I will try to help you out if you're having an issue with the app.

Enjoy!
-Greg

SmugShowBuilder: http://smugshowbuilder.appspot.com

Future ideas:
  • Auto-parse gallery URLs
  • Add selection of presets
«1

Comments

  • wellmanwellman Swimming for Them Posts: 961Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    SmugShowBuilder is live!
  • lashmonsterlashmonster Big grins Posts: 18Registered Users Big grins
    edited June 7, 2009
    Thanks!!
    wellman wrote:
    SmugShowBuilder is live!

    Just tried it out - cool. Thank you VERY much. clap.gif
  • GollyJerGollyJer Big grins Posts: 42Registered Users Big grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    Awesome little tool. Thanks for putting this together Greg. beer.gif
  • wellmanwellman Swimming for Them Posts: 961Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 17, 2009
    GollyJer wrote:
    Awesome little tool. Thanks for putting this together Greg. beer.gif

    Thanks! Glad somebody besides me found a use for it. rolleyes1.gif
  • SamirDSamirD Huntsville Car Scene.com Posts: 3,473Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Awesome little tool! I was wondering how I was going to easily play with all the options. clap.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • wellmanwellman Swimming for Them Posts: 961Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    SamirD wrote:
    Awesome little tool! I was wondering how I was going to easily play with all the options. clap.gif
    Thanks. :Dthumb.gif
  • dresdres Dev grinner Posts: 7Registered Users Beginner grinner
    edited June 25, 2009
    Gadgetized
    Before I post it, I wanted to get your ok for wrapping your pretty flash with a crusty gadget. I created a google gadget wrapper that you can try out by just adding it manually to iGoogle or some other widget page - http://hosting.gmodules.com/ig/gadgets/file/111500584010921510819/smugmug-2.xml. Let me know if its ok and how you want to be credited.

    By the way, I have updated my old JS gadget too in the google directory since it never worked real well - http://www.google.com/ig/directory?type=gadgets&url=hosting.gmodules.com/ig/gadgets/file/111500584010921510819/smugmug.xml.
  • wellmanwellman Swimming for Them Posts: 961Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    dres wrote:
    Before I post it, I wanted to get your ok for wrapping your pretty flash with a crusty gadget. I created a google gadget wrapper that you can try out by just adding it manually to iGoogle or some other widget page - http://hosting.gmodules.com/ig/gadgets/file/111500584010921510819/smugmug-2.xml. Let me know if its ok and how you want to be credited.

    By the way, I have updated my old JS gadget too in the google directory since it never worked real well - http://www.google.com/ig/directory?type=gadgets&url=hosting.gmodules.com/ig/gadgets/file/111500584010921510819/smugmug.xml.

    Fine by me. I'm actually not sure you need my permission. The Flash Slideshow is all coming from SmugMug and has been offered for a long time; my webapp just makes building the URLs or HTML for embedding much less fiddly. Cool stuff. thumb.gif
  • dresdres Dev grinner Posts: 7Registered Users Beginner grinner
    edited June 25, 2009
    wellman wrote:
    Fine by me. I'm actually not sure you need my permission. The Flash Slideshow is all coming from SmugMug and has been offered for a long time; my webapp just makes building the URLs or HTML for embedding much less fiddly. Cool stuff. thumb.gif

    Ah, didn't realize that was the built-in one. Guess I'm good to go. Thanks for thumbs up.
  • CynthiaMCynthiaM Major grins Posts: 364Registered Users Major grins
    edited July 3, 2009
    Can i use this to create a page on my smugmug site? Here's the code that it generated:

    <object align="middle" height="700" width="1000"><param name="movie" value="http://www.smugmug.com/ria/ShizamSlides-2007090601.swf"><param name="flashvars" value="AlbumID=8764703&AlbumKey=dekGt&autoStart=true&captions=true&clickToImage=true&randomize=false&randomStart=false&showButtons=true&showLogo=false&showStartButton=true&showThumbs=true&transparent=true&bgColor=000000&borderColor=747170&borderCornerStyle=rounded&borderThickness=4&clickUrl=blank&crossFadeSpeed=350&forceSize=OriginalURL&imgAlign=top&splashDelay=1000"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"><param name="bgcolor" value="000000"><param name="allowNetworking" value="all"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.smugmug.com/ria/ShizamSlides-2007090601.swf&quot; flashvars="AlbumID=8764703&AlbumKey=dekGt&autoStart=true&captions=true&clickToImage=true&randomize=false&randomStart=false&showButtons=true&showLogo=false&showStartButton=true&showThumbs=true&transparent=true&bgColor=000000&borderColor=747170&borderCornerStyle=rounded&borderThickness=4&clickUrl=blank&crossFadeSpeed=350&forceSize=OriginalURL&imgAlign=top&splashDelay=1000" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowNetworking="all" height="700" width="1000"></embed></object>

    But where do I put this and how do I get it to effect this "gallery?"
    http://www.cynthiamerzerphotography.com/gallery/8764703_dekGt/1/580184731_JZCZj

    Do I need to put anything in my CSS?
  • wellmanwellman Swimming for Them Posts: 961Registered Users Major grins
    edited July 3, 2009
    CynthiaM wrote:
    Can i use this to create a page on my smugmug site? Here's the code that it generated:

    <object align="middle" height="700" width="1000"><param name="movie" value="http://www.smugmug.com/ria/ShizamSlides-2007090601.swf"><param name="flashvars" value="AlbumID=8764703&AlbumKey=dekGt&autoStart=true&captions=true&clickToImage=true&randomize=false&randomStart=false&showButtons=true&showLogo=false&showStartButton=true&showThumbs=true&transparent=true&bgColor=000000&borderColor=747170&borderCornerStyle=rounded&borderThickness=4&clickUrl=blank&crossFadeSpeed=350&forceSize=OriginalURL&imgAlign=top&splashDelay=1000"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"><param name="bgcolor" value="000000"><param name="allowNetworking" value="all"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.smugmug.com/ria/ShizamSlides-2007090601.swf&quot; flashvars="AlbumID=8764703&AlbumKey=dekGt&autoStart=true&captions=true&clickToImage=true&randomize=false&randomStart=false&showButtons=true&showLogo=false&showStartButton=true&showThumbs=true&transparent=true&bgColor=000000&borderColor=747170&borderCornerStyle=rounded&borderThickness=4&clickUrl=blank&crossFadeSpeed=350&forceSize=OriginalURL&imgAlign=top&splashDelay=1000" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowNetworking="all" height="700" width="1000"></embed></object>

    But where do I put this and how do I get it to effect this "gallery?"
    http://www.cynthiamerzerphotography.com/gallery/8764703_dekGt/1/580184731_JZCZj

    Do I need to put anything in my CSS?

    Yes, you can embed that in your gallery. The easiest way would be putting HTML tags in your description section and pasting the code there.
  • CynthiaMCynthiaM Major grins Posts: 364Registered Users Major grins
    edited July 4, 2009
    wellman wrote:
    Yes, you can embed that in your gallery. The easiest way would be putting HTML tags in your description section and pasting the code there.

    Working on it. I like it!
  • CynthiaMCynthiaM Major grins Posts: 364Registered Users Major grins
    edited July 5, 2009
    wellman wrote:
    Yes, you can embed that in your gallery. The easiest way would be putting HTML tags in your description section and pasting the code there.
    Is there a way to control the size of the caption that is generated? I would like it to be smaller, is that possible? This is what the code produced:
    http://cynthiam.smugmug.com/gallery/8764703_dekGt
  • wellmanwellman Swimming for Them Posts: 961Registered Users Major grins
    edited July 5, 2009
    CynthiaM wrote:
    Is there a way to control the size of the caption that is generated? I would like it to be smaller, is that possible? This is what the code produced:
    http://cynthiam.smugmug.com/gallery/8764703_dekGt

    I am not aware of one. SmugSorcerers, do you have any advice?
  • CynthiaMCynthiaM Major grins Posts: 364Registered Users Major grins
    edited July 5, 2009
    wellman wrote:
    I am not aware of one. SmugSorcerers, do you have any advice?

    Thanks mwink.gif. I will keep checking to see if anyone answers.
  • Freedom ChicFreedom Chic Big grins Posts: 11Registered Users Big grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    Great Tool, but need a lil help
    Hi there- I needed this and it works great! 1 thing I can't figure out though is why when I click on the large image in order to be brought to the gallery on my site so that I can purchase the pic, it's coming up 'page not found'? I have a client that is going to embed a slideshow on his site and his clients need to be able to click the picture they want and be brought to my site to buy it. Did I do something wrong int he builder? this is the code I got:

    <object align="middle" height="400" width="600"><param name="movie" value="http://www.smugmug.com/ria/ShizamSlides-2007090601.swf"><param name="flashvars" value="AlbumID=8838035&AlbumKey=SE67k&autoStart=true&captions=false&clickToImage=true&randomize=false&randomStart=false&showButtons=true&showLogo=true&showSpeed=false&showStartButton=false&showThumbs=true&transparent=true&bgColor=e3e3e3&borderColor=ffffff&borderCornerStyle=square&forceSize=MediumURL"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"><param name="bgcolor" value="000000"><param name="allowNetworking" value="all"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.smugmug.com/ria/ShizamSlides-2007090601.swf" flashvars="AlbumID=8838035&AlbumKey=SE67k&autoStart=true&captions=false&clickToImage=true&randomize=false&randomStart=false&showButtons=true&showLogo=true&showSpeed=false&showStartButton=false&showThumbs=true&transparent=true&bgColor=e3e3e3&borderColor=ffffff&borderCornerStyle=square&forceSize=MediumURL" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowNetworking="all" height="400" width="600"></embed></object>

    This needs to go live tomorrow, so I'm hoping you can help. Thanks SO much in advancebowdown.gif
  • wellmanwellman Swimming for Them Posts: 961Registered Users Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    Hi there- I needed this and it works great! 1 thing I can't figure out though is why when I click on the large image in order to be brought to the gallery on my site so that I can purchase the pic, it's coming up 'page not found'? I have a client that is going to embed a slideshow on his site and his clients need to be able to click the picture they want and be brought to my site to buy it. Did I do something wrong int he builder? this is the code I got:

    <object align="middle" height="400" width="600"><param name="movie" value="http://www.smugmug.com/ria/ShizamSlides-2007090601.swf"><param name="flashvars" value="AlbumID=8838035&AlbumKey=SE67k&autoStart=true&captions=false&clickToImage=true&randomize=false&randomStart=false&showButtons=true&showLogo=true&showSpeed=false&showStartButton=false&showThumbs=true&transparent=true&bgColor=e3e3e3&borderColor=ffffff&borderCornerStyle=square&forceSize=MediumURL"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"><param name="bgcolor" value="000000"><param name="allowNetworking" value="all"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.smugmug.com/ria/ShizamSlides-2007090601.swf" flashvars="AlbumID=8838035&AlbumKey=SE67k&autoStart=true&captions=false&clickToImage=true&randomize=false&randomStart=false&showButtons=true&showLogo=true&showSpeed=false&showStartButton=false&showThumbs=true&transparent=true&bgColor=e3e3e3&borderColor=ffffff&borderCornerStyle=square&forceSize=MediumURL" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowNetworking="all" height="400" width="600"></embed></object>

    This needs to go live tomorrow, so I'm hoping you can help. Thanks SO much in advance<img src="https://us.v-cdn.net/6029383/emoji/bowdown.gif&quot; border="0" alt="" >

    Something weird is going on with your domain name. SmugMug thinks your website is www.freedomchic.com, because that's where the slideshow is redirecting when you click on a photo. But none of your galleries actually work at www.freedomchic.com; they work at freedomchic.smugmug.com. (You can see this by changing the URL yourself after clicking on a picture from within the slideshow.)

    I see you have a homepage set up at www.freedomchic.com that has links which redirect to different sites, one of them being your SmugMug site.

    Check your CNAME settings under your SmugMug control panel. Hope that helps. :D
  • Freedom ChicFreedom Chic Big grins Posts: 11Registered Users Big grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    It helps to make a little more sense of why the page isn't found, but after reading up on cNames & instructions I'm now more confused than ever. I used to use freedomchic.com as the way to reach my SM but I've since used that domain for other projects as well and it has a landing page that links out to other sites, including SM. I didn't change anything regarding cnames or a records with Network Solutions or SM since I instituted the landing page.ne_nau.gif I'm completely puzzled as to why I need to change something in order to have the slideshow link back to the proper sm gallery? Is it possible to change something in the html to fix this? I'm really thankful that you replied already, but I guess what I'm saying is "I don't get it. Please, please help me more! What can I do or where do I go to figure out what to do?"
    headscratch.gif
  • Freedom ChicFreedom Chic Big grins Posts: 11Registered Users Big grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    wellman wrote:
    Something weird is going on with your domain name. SmugMug thinks your website is www.freedomchic.com, because that's where the slideshow is redirecting when you click on a photo. But none of your galleries actually work at [URL="http://www.freedomchic.com;"]www.freedomchic.com;[/URL] they work at freedomchic.smugmug.com. (You can see this by changing the URL yourself after clicking on a picture from within the slideshow.)

    I see you have a homepage set up at www.freedomchic.com that has links which redirect to different sites, one of them being your SmugMug site.

    Check your CNAME settings under your SmugMug control panel. Hope that helps. :D

    You can disregard my confusion above...THANK YOU SO MUCH for pointing me in the right direction...all fixed!!!wings.gifclaprolleyes1.gifD:ivar
  • wellmanwellman Swimming for Them Posts: 961Registered Users Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    You can disregard my confusion above...THANK YOU SO MUCH for pointing me in the right direction...all fixed!!!wings.gifclaprolleyes1.gifD:ivar

    Good deal. I was all set to 'splain things, but I'm sure happy you got it sorted. clap.gif
  • MartinoMartino Big grins Posts: 77Registered Users Big grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    I try and I try but I cant get it right....
    Hello,

    I have been trying to customized a slide show that can be easily duplicated for each one of my customer proof galleries and to be able to add new galleries quickly. I have attempted to use the super cool slidebuilder tool, but I keep getting double slide shows, buttons in the wrong place, etc.

    I really like the standard slideshow, but would like to make a few simple changes. Can someone please show me how?

    Here is what I have:
    588000549_MSz4G-L.jpg

    But this is what I am trying to achieve:

    588000547_Wy96Z-L.jpg

    Any guidance, help, insults or general comments are welcome. headscratch.gif

    Thank you!

    M
  • AllenAllen "tweak 'til it squeaks" St. Louis, MoPosts: 9,728Registered Users Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    Martino wrote:
    Hello,

    I have been trying to customized a slide show that can be easily duplicated for each one of my customer proof galleries and to be able to add new galleries quickly. I have attempted to use the super cool slidebuilder tool, but I keep getting double slide shows, buttons in the wrong place, etc.

    I really like the standard slideshow, but would like to make a few simple changes. Can someone please show me how?

    Here is what I have:


    But this is what I am trying to achieve:



    Any guidance, help, insults or general comments are welcome. headscratch.gif

    Thank you!

    M
    Those are all elements of the flash code and not configurable. It's been
    asked for variables for controlling some of this. No response yet. Might put
    in a feature request.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website | My Blog
  • MartinoMartino Big grins Posts: 77Registered Users Big grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    Allen wrote:
    Those are all elements of the flash code and not configurable. It's been
    asked for variables for controlling some of this. No response yet. Might put
    in a feature request.

    Thank you Allen.

    I can get close to that I need with the super duper slideshow generator, but I am having trouble with the Fullscreen, Buy & view cart button locations. (They end up at the bottom of my slideshow.) I also end up with duplicate slideshows in the gallery. Grrrrrr. I am a photog and just want to take photos.... Maybe I need to hire a developer. :o)

    M
  • AllenAllen "tweak 'til it squeaks" St. Louis, MoPosts: 9,728Registered Users Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    Martino wrote:
    Thank you Allen.

    I can get close to that I need with the super duper slideshow generator, but I am having trouble with the Fullscreen, Buy & view cart button locations. (They end up at the bottom of my slideshow.) I also end up with duplicate slideshows in the gallery. Grrrrrr. I am a photog and just want to take photos.... Maybe I need to hire a developer. :o)

    M
    Those that could help would probably need a link to the gallery.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website | My Blog
  • MartinoMartino Big grins Posts: 77Registered Users Big grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    Allen wrote:
    Those that could help would probably need a link to the gallery.

    Ah, good thinking 99!

    http://www.martinoroselli.smugmug.com/gallery/8850855_8mHTz

    Gallery Password: bob

    Thank you Allen!!!!!
  • AllenAllen "tweak 'til it squeaks" St. Louis, MoPosts: 9,728Registered Users Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    Martino wrote:
    Ah, good thinking 99!

    http://www.martinoroselli.smugmug.com/gallery/8850855_8mHTz

    Gallery Password: bob

    Thank you Allen!!!!!
    Looks fine her with Firefox3.5 and IE6. Not seeing what you're describing.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website | My Blog
  • MartinoMartino Big grins Posts: 77Registered Users Big grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    Allen wrote:
    Looks fine her with Firefox3.5 and IE6. Not seeing what you're describing.

    Hi Allen,

    thanks for looking. I was playing, so you must have caught me between edits. It is there now in all its un-coolness.

    There are 2 slide shows appearing, but I dont know why. The top one is the new script in the "description" field, the one on the bottom is the smugmug standard.

    I like the look and everything of the smugmug standard, but just with the tweaks that apparently cant be done. So I am trying to do it with the slide show builder. If I could just make some tweaks to the slideshow builder code, I may be most of the way there. Any ideas?

    588086529_BoSkB-L.jpg

    Thank you again.

    Cheers,
    M
  • CynthiaMCynthiaM Major grins Posts: 364Registered Users Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    Martino wrote:
    Hi Allen,

    thanks for looking. I was playing, so you must have caught me between edits. It is there now in all its un-coolness.

    There are 2 slide shows appearing, but I dont know why. The top one is the new script in the "description" field, the one on the bottom is the smugmug standard.

    I like the look and everything of the smugmug standard, but just with the tweaks that apparently cant be done. So I am trying to do it with the slide show builder. If I could just make some tweaks to the slideshow builder code, I may be most of the way there. Any ideas?

    588086529_BoSkB-L.jpg

    Thank you again.

    Cheers,
    M
    Try adding this to the CSS:
    .gallery_8850855 #photos {display:none}

    But make sure that it hides the photos only in this gallery, not in all of your galleries. Now tell me, how did you get the javscript slideshow centered (you used the slideshow generator and put the javascript in the gallery description, right?)?

    When I've tried it, it comes out left aligned, unless if I set it up as a traditional gallery and then hide the photos. But when it's set up like yours, with the description for a slideshow gallery, you get the fullscreen button, which I like.
  • MartinoMartino Big grins Posts: 77Registered Users Big grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    CynthiaM wrote:
    Try adding this to the CSS:
    .gallery_8850855 #photos {display:none}

    But make sure that it hides the photos only in this gallery, not in all of your galleries. Now tell me, how did you get the javscript slideshow centered (you used the slideshow generator and put the javascript in the gallery description, right?)?

    When I've tried it, it comes out left aligned, unless if I set it up as a traditional gallery and then hide the photos. But when it's set up like yours, with the description for a slideshow gallery, you get the fullscreen button, which I like.

    Ah, that code worked Allen! It suppressed the extra slideshow. Thank you.

    I simply used html <center> to put it in the middle of the page. Now, if I can only find a way to put a frame around the container, and not the images and move those bloody buttons to the top of the container. :o)
  • jonstlejonstle Big grins Posts: 16Registered Users Big grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    Flash Slideshow Question
    I have been searching the forums to try and find an answer to this one. I created a slide show using the SmugMug Flash Slide show Builder, great tool by the way.

    I am wondering if there is a way to have the slide show start with the fast speed setting instead of the medium setting. Here is a link to the page http://www.sarahgracephoto.com/Nature/Fine-Art/10069048_bQBwK.

    I have seen a few places where this is discussed and Have tried a few things on my own but cannot seem to get this to work.
Sign In or Register to comment.