Ok.. These Are My Final Entry Choices.. Need Some C&C, Pretty Please...

KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
edited June 10, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Okie Dokie................ Here they are as you all suggested...
I applied all the great and wise advice. :D

You all said you liked the MIC but it was missing something...

Is this better? perhaps this is what it was missing?

I altered it with a constellation appeal...:wink to maximize the title..

How is that Linda? is that enough "wow" factor? :rofl

Re-shoot on this as well to achieve the angle Ben suggested... Well Ben? Whatcha Think? Did I pull it off or ruin it? I was not able to keep the closeness but almost.. Keep in mind I am stuck with a normal 55mm canon kit lens right now..

Silver does this version "pull" ya in more to the composition?

A sharp mask per Allen's advice.. Allen do you still find the writing on the band distracting?

and oh yeah Mark, I used a downy sheet here for the diffusion as you suggested.... LOL:lol:lol:lol

===================================

( Million Hit Wonder ) or (One Hit Wonder) > Need votes on the title..

555931996_oZzUF-XL.jpg

========================================================================

ok.. for Pyro and and Photobug- Also Silver who all favored the angels too.. here are my reworks on them.. I worked hard to give these little stone statues life.. check out the eyes,,, fixed them in "liquefy" pretty cool achieving an actual catch light on a stone eye, dont cha think? My focus here is to humanize them...and to achieve some complicated shadow appeal.. Did it work?

Gotta love that heavenly liquefy tool.. the clients love it anyways.. 10 lbs off here, 20 there..lol anyways great for eye work too... the eyes were warped and this helped...

===================================================================

( Speak No Evil) Contrast Punch

555868650_uQrjX-XL.jpg
=============================================================================

(Speak No Evil ) Normal Process - softer stone appeal

555868660_M4GLT-XL.jpg=====================================================================

ok,, that's what I have to offer this round... This was my final shoot, so I will end up picking from this shoot... all advice is appreciated and if there are any processing nits, please point them out... and I will fix them...

Linda I tried for 2 hours to shoot and process the sequential set, but no luck.. Managing all the shadows they cast on each other was a nightmare with my limited equipment, and they came out too little and only looked like little statues... I tried... but no luck... thanks for the support on that..:thumb

You all are a great help and thank you for pushing me to do better.. I am learning alot from all of you...... :bow:rofl

Kind Regards,

Kat:thumb

Comments

• pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    (Speak No Evil ) Normal Process - softer stone appeal
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    Thanks Pyro... taking notes and votes..

I could have sworn you would have chosen the contrast punch.. why the softer? just curious.. Did I do ok on the shadows..?

Kat
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    Thanks Pyro... taking notes and votes..

I could have sworn you would have chosen the contrast punch.. why the softer? just curious.. Did I do ok on the shadows..?

Kat

Contrast Punch destroys the texture
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
    edited June 6, 2009
    Man.. that one is my favy... I will definitely keep what your saying in the forefront of my mind.... kuddos.. thanks..

I guess I like it because of the shadows and definition.. adds to the stark character.. It may come down to choosing one of the lesser processing evils....

Thank you so much for chiming in before your trip Pyro.. I do appreciate your time.......rolleyes1.gif

Taking notes and votes.....thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    I think somewhere between the first two angels.

I like the first but the shadows seem to cover up more detail in the face.
    Did you crop it? I might add a tich more canvas on the right side it seems a little tight. Of course these are just suggestions as I really like the second on best. Nice work and I like the title to.

g
    edited June 6, 2009
    Thanks Camel.. Another vote for the second angel... jotting it down..deal.gif

what about you? have not seen yours on the board yet..

Kat
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    Thanks Camel.. Another vote for the second angel... jotting it down..deal.gif

what about you? have not seen yours on the board yet..

Kat

I'm trying to think of something. Hopefully will get out this weekend.

Thanks for asking, your a sweetheart.

g
    edited June 6, 2009
    oh stop it camel your making me blush.. he he he......Good luck with it... and look forward to seeing it up here.. rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Thanks for the help....

Kat
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    Hi Kat,

Huge difference IMO. I feel like the MIC has a character now. I like the glows you added a lot too.

The text isn't too bad. I am sure it is a personal thing to decide to remove it or keep it there.

Nice work!

p.s. My wife loves it too!
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

edited June 6, 2009
    Hey Allen.. Thank you for dropping by and taking a look... I am happy that the mic is looking much improved; and that I was able to pull off what you guys were envisioning for it...

This is going to be a hard choice for me on which one to enter, the mic or the speak no evil.. I like both a lot... the opinions help... thank you and thank you to the wife too, gotta love those outside opinions too.. appreciate that,, but I wonder what her choice would be between the mic and the angels? curious..headscratch.gif

Thank you and have a great weekend.. Look forward to seeing what you have up your sleeve for yours too.. I am sure it will be great..thumb.gif

Kat
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    I'm really digging the Mic shot. You really improved it since the first time. I don't know, I guess angles don't do it for me.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
    edited June 6, 2009
    Thanks Cuban... taking notes and votes...

Well I think it is definitely down to the speak no evil and the mic...
    hard choice for me.... perhaps I will take the other angel down.. to narrow it down on the board....

thank you for your vote..thumb.gif

Kat
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    I really like how you pulled the mic shot off. thumb.gif I feel the pain of your decision. Both the mic and the cherub are strong compositions.
  • BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    I like what you've done with the mic - definitely more going for it now. The sparkles give it that "star quality" while the cord keeps it grounded and gives it street cred. thumb.gif

I have just a couple thoughts. (I know you said it's your final entry...) Overall it's still pretty dark, and since it's almost totally horizontal it looks kinda tired, like it's lying down. I think it could be animated with some light work. I'm thinking like an advertising exec here - but how about a spot light on your star? A kind of upside-down "V" of light on the wall behind it would make it look like it's finished a performance on stage. See where I'm going with this?

Imagine the clouds opening up and a choir of angels are singing the praises of this star-making workhorse of a mic, as a light from heaven shines down and revives our exhausted hero for another million hits! Or not. Sometimes I just get carried away! Laughing.gif

Anyway, it's good as is but I'm gonna be the "bad guy" and challenge you not to settle just yet.
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    She likes the MIC better, but who knows what the Judges will like ne_nau.gif
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

edited June 6, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    I really like how you pulled the mic shot off. thumb.gif I feel the pain of your decision. Both the mic and the cherub are strong compositions.

Thanks Linda.. and tell me about it... tough.. I favor the cherubs because I think they show the judges more photo mastery skill wise.. with shadow and light and depth..you would know what I mean if you saw the "originals" > super tiny little yellow figurines.. plus giving still life figurines life and personality is kind of a hobby for me in photography..

Thanks for the vote and supportiloveyou.gif

Kat
    edited June 6, 2009
    She likes the MIC better, but who knows what the Judges will like ne_nau.gif

I was very curious.. please tell her thank you for me for participating.. Allen....

yep the judges... ya never know on that one....headscratch.gif

Kat
    edited June 6, 2009
    Benjer wrote:
    I like what you've done with the mic - definitely more going for it now. The sparkles give it that "star quality" while the cord keeps it grounded and gives it street cred. thumb.gif

I have just a couple thoughts. (I know you said it's your final entry...) Overall it's still pretty dark, and since it's almost totally horizontal it looks kinda tired, like it's lying down. I think it could be animated with some light work. I'm thinking like an advertising exec here - but how about a spot light on your star? A kind of upside-down "V" of light on the wall behind it would make it look like it's finished a performance on stage. See where I'm going with this?

Imagine the clouds opening up and a choir of angels are singing the praises of this star-making workhorse of a mic, as a light from heaven shines down and revives our exhausted hero for another million hits! Or not. Sometimes I just get carried away! Laughing.gif

Anyway, it's good as is but I'm gonna be the "bad guy" and challenge you not to settle just yet.

Now somehow.. I don't know how, but somehow, I knew you were gonna say that Ben......rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif you have a point about the flatness of the composition..

I will try to process the effect you are talking about... however,, if it ( slips) into Photoshop Candy Land, the judges seem to stick their nose up at "too" much photoshop.. so I am trying to be careful from lessons learned in the past... on the PS... but for you, I will try...:D

thanks for the help... as always... will get that rework up by this weekend..thumb.gif

Kat
  • BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    Okay - first let me apologize if I come off like a jerk - Laughing.gif. I don't want you to feel like I'm trying to impose too much on your concept - your idea just sparked something in my imagination and I ran with it. :D

Also, don't worry too much about using PS - it's a valid tool and I believe our esteemed judges have been known to use it as well. Just please don't let my thoughts or suggestions stress you out - half the time I probably don't know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I'm making it up as I go along. mwink.gif

Your passion and enthusiasm come through in your work and in your comments on others' entries, and I hope my little ramblings can be as encouraging as you have been to me. Don't hold back! :ivar
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    I am liking the Microphone. Of the 2 sculptures the second one works better for me.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
    edited June 6, 2009
    Ben......
    Benjer wrote:
    Okay - first let me apologize if I come off like a jerk - Laughing.gif. I don't want you to feel like I'm trying to impose too much on your concept - your idea just sparked something in my imagination and I ran with it. :D

Also, don't worry too much about using PS - it's a valid tool and I believe our esteemed judges have been known to use it as well. Just please don't let my thoughts or suggestions stress you out - half the time I probably don't know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I'm making it up as I go along. mwink.gif

Your passion and enthusiasm come through in your work and in your comments on others' entries, and I hope my little ramblings can be as encouraging as you have been to me. Don't hold back! :ivar

BEN.. :nono NO apologies needed whatsoever...

I love your thorough critiquesiloveyou.gif and they are super helpful. I appreciate that you give them so much thought... I have ultra thick skin... I don't take anything personal...and I am hear to learn, and for that I need to be pushed....and your helping me out..thumb.gif

So...Thank you Mr.......

Kat
    edited June 6, 2009
    DsrtVW wrote:
    I am liking the Microphone. Of the 2 sculptures the second one works better for me.

Hi Chris... Seems like the softer angel is popular.. along with the infamous MIC... jotting it down.. thank you....

Katthumb.gif
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    Hi Kat. As for the angel, #2 works for me better. The high contrast shot takes too much detail out of the wings. It's a really nice conversion (and thanks BTW for the how-to in my thread. I'll definitely give it a try).

Of the 3, the mic really stands out to me. OOOO...I just read Ben's suggestion. That sounds interesting.

You've got a lot of deciding to do. :D
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    #1 is a vast improvement from your first version! Downy has a tighter weave than Bounce, which provides for a more diffuse lighting ... yeah, right! rolleyes1.gif

and I vote for 'One hit wonder.'
    edited June 6, 2009
    Thanks Brian.. was waiting for your chime in...... Oh NO...... the Mic pulls yet another to the darkside...

I am working on the stage lights now.. trying not to ruin it..

thanks bro:D

Kat
    edited June 6, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    #1 is a vast improvement from your first version! Downy has a tighter weave than Bounce, which provides for a more diffuse lighting ... yeah, right! rolleyes1.gif

and I vote for 'One hit wonder.'

They ARE giving you perks... come on fess up...deal.gif
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    They ARE giving you perks... come on fess up...deal.gif

They sponsor me! There's a big ol' Downy sticker on the side of my camera. rolleyes1.gif

For some reason though they originally wanted to put it across my lens. Said something about improving my pictures ... headscratch.gifheadscratch.gif
    edited June 6, 2009
    There ya go.. now doesn't that feel better to get it out and fess up... glad I could be of service..:D
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2009
    I vote Mic... simply because I like it.
    edited June 7, 2009
    Ha.. gotta love that....!

Just because I like it......... period, end of story.. nuff said..rolleyes1.gif

Thanks Donna... I worked all night with the microphone and well I just can't give it that Shazam... and Ben is right, it looks flat...:cry I looked at it in my smugmug gallery to try and get an idea of what it would look like in the contest gallery an it does look flat..too flat,,, I mean it looks good here, but it is blown up bigger here.. so when you look at it in the gallery, the composition lays way too flat, no punch!!! and when I tried to punch it up and balance the composition with some lighting and even some spotlights as Ben suggested, it looked horrible because of all the grain in the backdrop... I may not have a choice but to go with the angels, but perhaps I will shoot something else in the microphone's place today... I am going to the Nashville Zoo today with the husband and kids.. Maybe I will be able to capture something there.. if I can't I am thinking the angels.. unless there is something I can do to make the microphone stand out more..headscratch.gif

Kat