Ok.. These Are My Final Entry Choices.. Need Some C&C, Pretty Please...

2»

Comments

• michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2009
    Ok Kat, I'm wondering why you have an SM58 sitting around the house. Those things are workhorses for vocals in many, many situations. Are you a singer too?
  • silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2009
    Speak No Evil (contrast punch). I'm a big fan of gritty and high-contrast black and white photos.
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    Ok Kat, I'm wondering why you have an SM58 sitting around the house. Those things are workhorses for vocals in many, many situations. Are you a singer too?
    '

ha ha.. no I am tone deaf in one ear.. at least that is what they told me when I took lessons in high school. I suffered a lot of inner ear infections.. eardrum ruptures etc... The mic belongs to my husband Robert..He is a Scientist by day and a musician by night per say.. He records in house... one man band and plays most instruments.. He records his stuff, and I help process it, and do the techie computer stuff, along with help with lyrics etc.. that's my extent in the music world...

Will have to post a pic of the 25th anniversary fender too.. it's purty.. actually I am not supposed to touch any of the equipment. I had to sneak it out, shoot it and run and put it back... lol:ivar.. it is one of those unspoken marriage agreements... if ya now what I mean.. He does not touch my photography equipment and I stay away from his equipment.. good thing he does not surf the DG..mwink.gif

Kat
    edited June 7, 2009
    silversx80 wrote:
    Speak No Evil (contrast punch). I'm a big fan of gritty and high-contrast black and white photos.

Thanks Silver.. That happens to be my favorite too.. I am a big fan of the gritty dark look on statues as well....thumb.gif

Kat
    edited June 9, 2009
    The Verdict... Reshoot
    Ok.... well.. I have tried and tried to get that mic to look stunning with no luck..

so I am gonna go with the Angel. A rework of in between the contrast punch and the soft....

IF.............. I don't pull something else I like out of tomorrow's shoot...

I am super excited.... I have been walking around the house telling my husband that I need a 50's get up for the black and white entry... having no clue where to find such a set up... I knew that for black and white I need silver metal for contrast, and for the mood something old 50's era. I have not been able to get the classic bar stools out of my head..., then I go out driving with my sister tonight as I was thinking of doing a shoot on some other stuff > BAM... I see it... They just opened up in town and are brand new...

558826881_ZrLJa-M.jpg

It was super late, and as I was driving by I see the owner inside so I took a chance and knocked on the door.. I begged him to please let me shoot his establishment, and I would in return give him a CD full of pictures.. "great" pictures I might add.. hehehe.... and he said YES!!!!

I am jumping up and down inside..clap.gifclapclap.gif I would love this for my portfolio anyways PLUS, this is "exactly" what I was after... there are the bar stools and the old bikes and coke machines and the huge posters of Marylyn Monroe, Elvis, BBKing and tons of silver... and so much more..................... and oh yeah, the black and white checkered floor...............rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

and that is just the front 50's part, there is a whole western saloon type area in the back for the fiddles part of the business..

Anway, he gave me one of his music CD's and told me I could shoot all I want before opening time tomorrow... no crowds just shoot time...yippie...........clap.gif

Hopefully I can bring something out of this shoot..

I posted a video here,, it is bad quality and does not do anywhere near justice to the place... but here it is... well off to get the equipment ready for the AM shoot.. Wish me luck.... I have a feeling these are going to be awesome...

Kat

http://imagesbedfordcounty.com/index.php/site/video_gallery/food/50s_fiddles
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Good luck Kat :)
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Awesome opportunity, Kat! Good luck.

... and even if it doesn't work out for this challenge, the angel is a great entry.
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Hope the shoot works out great for you. I like that video. The banjo alone would be fun to shoot.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Kat, your enthusiasm is infectious! Have fun at the shoot, and be sure to share what you get :D

And yeah, that home music studio of yours sounds pretty fabu - I have an extremely high quality miniature rig for recording my own stuff (just say "DPA 4060" to your hubby and see his reaction - they're the Holy Grail of miniature microphones, picking up broadcast-quality sound with something smaller than a pencil eraser!) but sure wish I had money, space and time for a bit more. My (ex-pro-rock-and-roll musician) hubby would love it too!

For now, however... the music room is used as my voice studio for my private students, and doubles up for me to shoot pictures. Not bad for an 8.5x9.5 space!! rolleyes1.gif
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Good luck at the shoot! Bring back a lot of magic. I can't wait to see what you capture! thumb.gif
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    That is awesome! Look forward to seeing your images.
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

edited June 9, 2009
    Underestimations
    Thank you all for the super support... Got back from the shoot and now begins the
    long road of processing.... clap.gifclapclap.gif

I will try to get some samples up later tonight...

This turned out to be a very challenging shoot.. Oh sure.......... yes.......... I went on and on about how that "silver" would be awesome and how all the framed posters of the stars excellent.. yeah right.. until you try to shoot them in the morning with the sun rays beaming through the place bouncing off of every single reflective subject in the place making it a "blowout exposure" nightmare, then, add to that all of the mood lights reflecting off of all the glass.. and well............ eek7.gifhuheek7.gifhuheek7.gifhuheek7.gif

Then I did not foresee needing a ladder, but thankfully the owner came through with that and lots of free fountain drinks and coffee.. it took 4 hours to shoot this place.. I completely underestimated it.. I am learning the reality of photography the hard way for sure.... ha ha...

Anyway... it was huge fun... and I can't wait to share..

Thank you all...

Kat
    edited June 9, 2009
    silversx80 wrote:
    Awesome opportunity, Kat! Good luck.

... and even if it doesn't work out for this challenge, the angel is a great entry.

Thanks Silver.. for the vote of confidence in the angel.. bowdown.gifI think I am going to go enter that tonight into the gallery so it is done.. then I will have to get opinions on the new stuff.. looking at that gallery.. wow.. everyone sure is turning up the heat and bringing their game for sure this round..eek7.gif

Kat
    edited June 9, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Kat, your enthusiasm is infectious! Have fun at the shoot, and be sure to share what you get :D

And yeah, that home music studio of yours sounds pretty fabu - I have an extremely high quality miniature rig for recording my own stuff (just say "DPA 4060" to your hubby and see his reaction - they're the Holy Grail of miniature microphones, picking up broadcast-quality sound with something smaller than a pencil eraser!) but sure wish I had money, space and time for a bit more. My (ex-pro-rock-and-roll musician) hubby would love it too!

For now, however... the music room is used as my voice studio for my private students, and doubles up for me to shoot pictures. Not bad for an 8.5x9.5 space!! rolleyes1.gif

HI Diva.. I must I must I must.. be enthusiastic.. I mean look at that gallery..
    One wonders if they have a chance... ha ha.

Will have to run that name by the hubby when he gets back, he is on a 4 day business trip out of town right now.. Here you on the rock n roller... this was him in his younger years back in the band days.... well till I came along.. heheheheeee.. deal.gif

your studio sounds beyond impressive..... I have seen ones like that. They are built to retain sound right? They are uber expensive... you will have to share your stuff with us some day... host a link to an Mp3 or something... I use fileden to host his converted stuff to mp3 and then I use myflashfetish to link it to a player online.. it works and its free.. it would allow you to show off your talent in your blog.. that's what I had set up for him...

well back on the post process highway... hopefully I can find my way home once I get on there..

Thanks for the support..

Katthumb.gif
    edited June 9, 2009
    A Sample
    ok,, .. This is not a processed fancied up completed version, so never mind it is not straight or cropped right etc,,.. this is just to show you what I was up against..

559709941_U5YAs-XL.jpg

I made a huge mistake I think.. because of all of the reflections and bright blasts of light and then the hanging light reflections and so on.. I decided to not use flash so that I would not worsen it... however, in order to keep my ISO as low as possible "100" I extended the exposures.. I figured it would pick up huge amounts of color and saturation this way... but I still was not able to avoid all of the reflections and bright blasts of white on the silver tin walls..

I am having problems with the blowout here.. any suggestions? on the processing..?

and do you see what I mean on the posters? the light distortions and reflections on her head? some of this can be saved with clone..
    Thanks Guys and Gals.....

Kat
    edited June 9, 2009
    Black and White Conversion
    ok, so you see why I coveted the silver for this contest shot.. but again the blow out.. this is a sample of the one above.. "again" it is not processed, only converted to Black and white to show you how it will convert and so you can see the problems I might be up against..

559726232_cH6F6-XL.jpg

I am working on the others tonight.. will take some time.. and "no" the crops will not be this sloppy, this is just an example... I am thinking to going with the "many theme... of "the classics" or there was only "one" with Marilyn.. etc.. I am wide open for idea on that too..

The shots get much better than this one.. but this will have to do for now, as the others are taking me forever to work with right now..

Thanks as Always..

Kat
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    Wow Kat! What a great place to shoot. If you're worried about the blown-out areas, have you tried the brush tool in Camera Raw? It's basically a spot exposure brush. So if there's detail in the blown-out areas you can "spot" burn those areas with some really good precision.

BTW - I was saying how much I favored the mic over the angel, but I gotta tell ya, I really like the angel entry in the gallery. It looks like you worked on the conversion a little more, and I think it came out wonderful! clap.gif

Can't wait to see what you can do with this shot.
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    What a great place, indeed!

I think I know it - is this in Nashville? Do they also have a stage there in the bar?

... anyway, I still like your entry better :)
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
    edited June 10, 2009
    bf2015 wrote:
    Wow Kat! What a great place to shoot. If you're worried about the blown-out areas, have you tried the brush tool in Camera Raw? It's basically a spot exposure brush. So if there's detail in the blown-out areas you can "spot" burn those areas with some really good precision.

BTW - I was saying how much I favored the mic over the angel, but I gotta tell ya, I really like the angel entry in the gallery. It looks like you worked on the conversion a little more, and I think it came out wonderful! clap.gif

Can't wait to see what you can do with this shot.

==============

Yep, I tried to strike a middle road on the angel on the reprocess between contrasty and soft... Thanks for the support Brian.. Yes, I am working in RAW and guess what... I found that if I burn it in "before" the film conversions it works like a charm.. thank you... I will be starting a new thread by tonight with some finished versions... keep an eye out..mwink.gif they are looking awesome..

Kat
    edited June 10, 2009
    photo-bug wrote:
    What a great place, indeed!

I think I know it - is this in Nashville? Do they also have a stage there in the bar?

... anyway, I still like your entry better :)

Hi photobug.. no, this just opened here in the small town I live in. It is in Shelbyville, TN... I am sure you have heard of Shelbyville, TN, if you have been in the area, it is the Walking Horse Capital of the World.. persay.. you would think I would have all kinds of Equine in my folio.. I need to shoot some this summer and go to the horse shows.. these are some expensive and gorgeous animals.. I have driven by their stables and these horses live in air conditioned prestine stables.. They are gorgeous creatures..

anyways.. this place I shot is in Shelbyville.. and I will be posting a new thread tonight with some processed shots, we will have to see what you think of them.. Thank you for the vote of confidence in my current entry too..thumb.gif

Kat