Ok.. Here They Are.. Last Round.. Need Votes....Please..... :)

KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
edited June 15, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
ok,, so we have been through the microphone shot and the 50's bar stools..

But,, I had this idea of something else I wanted to shoot and they came out well, I think.... besides, it is not like me to enter in some regular type photography so I thought I would give good old plain field photography a chance instead of always studio type stuff this time around.. what do you think? Are my titles ok? still working on that part and way open to suggestions too..

As always thick skin, so please be honest.. Do you prefer the mic or bar stools over these..? I really want to enter one of these guys........:rofl:rofl:rofl

==================================================

No Name Yet - Uphiller

563110618_F9RBp-L.jpg

Heavenly Harvest OPT #1

563115714_LigdA-L.jpg

==============================================

Heavenly Harvest OPT. #2 Clouded

563147688_DqFPT-L.jpg

A Stormy Harvest OPT #1

563123635_LsQFa-L.jpg

A Stormy Harvest OPT #2 - Clouds and Rain Added

563147696_ZyXss-L.jpg
====================================================

Hazy Harvest OPT #1

563147783_h4BDX-L.jpg

========================================================

Hazy Harvest/ Fog Lifter OPT #2 -

563147709_JsRAh-L.jpg

============================

And The 50's Bar Stools >> No Name Yet... Could Use Some Help On The Title ...

all I can come up with is "A 50's Kind Of Place to Rest Your Rump... HA HA HA... HELP!!

561841600_5bjDj-L.jpg

and last but not least... the infamous MIC.. The One Hit Wonder..

555931996_oZzUF-L.jpg

I am open to entering any one of them.. but I need to narrow it down..:thumb

I need your votes and whys, and edits too.. did I overlook anything in editing.. I have been doing this so long, I may have started to over look things.. all CC most welcome here... you guys always surprise me with your input and favs... so which one is my strongest?

A Million Thanks As Always... Now I need to get some rest... Will log back on to feed my DG addiction later today to check in...

Kat:lust

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    I know you say you want to go with these, but IMO the stools are a stronger entry. They're stronger on theme, and I think are shot with more immediate impact.

I love the work you've done on these (I like the two "Hazy" ones the best, because you can see the telegraph poles/wires behind them), but... I just love what you did with those chrome diner stools!!!
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    A Stormy Harvest OPT #1 gets my vote, my brain is shutting down now so can't critique but that one caught my eye above the rest of them
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    Thank you "both" for your input... I appreciate it ...

Diva.. I hear you and thank you for the honesty... I don't mind entering the stools.. I just like some of these too.. so taking votes..

I went ahead and posted the stools on here for comparison...

Do you think the stools need anymore editing? and my worry on the stools is that the judges may frown on that optical illusion on the floor that the distant checkers create.. What is your take on that?headscratch.gif

Thanks Kat
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    If I had to pick from the Hay bails, I'd go with Stormy Harvest Opt #1. Its the one that say singular to me. The stools don't do it for me. But, Divamum always has a good feel for these things.
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,215 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    I really love the stools over the hay shots. It's just a more powerful photo to me and it hits the 'plural' them quite well (the stools + the black & white square tiles). I love the angle & love how the floor and the stools lead your eyes through the shot.

The hay photos are nice, but seem less interesting by comparison (to me). If I had to choose one, I'd choose the first one--mainly because of the angle and the crispness. You can see each strand of hay.

Just my $.02.

Sherry
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    Hey Kat. Nice job on the hay bail. I do like the composition and the creatively different effects. But IMHO, a single bail of hay as the main and only focal point of a shot just doesn't capture and hold my attention. Don't get me wrong...you captured it beautifully and the finals are very well done. But to me, it's one of those shots that you'll scroll through and maybe take a second or two to look at then keep scrolling and not really remember it. And I'm in that same boat myself. I think my entry is one of those that will just get scrolled through (I have new ideas as well).

But the bar stools shot you have is just the opposite. There is something for everybody in that shot. For those of us that like symmetry like I do you have the bar stools all lined up (I still think it's cool how every single stool is perfectly lined on the tile). You have the bokkeh which is nice. Even a slight optical illusion. You can't look at this shot for just two seconds because the tiles and perfectly lined stools draw your eye from one end of the shot to the other. And that's what a photo is supposed to do! And for the title: maybe find a 50's song or title (something like 1 o'clock Rock!) Rockabilly type maybe.

So the bar stools get my vote. :D

BTW- the bar stool shot above is still the one with the unblackened area under the counter.
    edited June 14, 2009
    Thank you everyone.. Sounds like I can close this thread down now...

After what Brian said,,, I see with a new light here now... and now see
    why you are not picking the bails of hay.. They really do look cool in color..with
    gold spun wheels against blue skies and white clouds... I guess the conversion
    to black and white it just not packing enough punch..

Thank you all for your help and such an in depth reasons.

Going to call this thread finished.. although anyone is welcome to comment..

I am going to post a new thread later this evening with a handful of
    the finals......

=============

Brian.. I agree with what you are saying about our shots not holding enough interest. Nice shots but not enough... I will keep my eye on the board in case you post your new ideas...

Thanks Everyone..... You all are Wonderful..

Kat
    edited June 14, 2009
    Ok 3ish hours of sleep, hope you are getting a bit more than I did, but here we go :D

I like the one I mentioned the most due to its contrast, the processing/contrast grabs me and gets me into the image. If you could do a similar processing job to uphiller I think that composition might be a stronger package with its more dynamic angle.
    edited June 14, 2009
    I wish.. lol

I never went to bed....... so if you got 20 minutes of sleep your doing better than me.... I will more than likely crash this evening,,, but still too much to do..

Thanks for the input....I might have time to work with that conversion, and if I do I will try.. good advice..!! I may not have time.. I have a few other shots I am working on now to put up..

thank you for dropping by and helping me out..

Katthumb.gif
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    Kat...

Ok... let me first narrow it down to two... A Stormy Harvest OPT #1 and the Stools. Both are great image. The contrast and depth of the hay bail is awesome. You really did great on that one. The composition is strong as well. However, I think the Stools tell much more of a story. So I see a nice bail of hay... so what. Beyond that, there is not much to tell. But the stools envoke so much more thought. Where is this place? Why is it empty? I wonder if the pie is good? Laughing.gif... you know what I mean. I say go with the stools.

As for a title, how about:
    • Have a seat
    • Party of one.. or more?
    • A seat is waiting
    Hopefully these will spark an idea for a title.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
    edited June 14, 2009
    Hi Cuban,,

Thank you for dropping by to help out, you know I appreciate it..

ok, I am laughing my butt off now...gotta love your straight talk.."so I see a bail of hay, so big damn deal" HA HAblbl.giflol4:lol4:lol4:lol4

ok,, your right.. it seems that is unanimous.. ok,,, will trust the vote on this one and get the stools polished and entered tonight.... so glad this one is ending ,, man black and white was harder than I realized,, I misssssssss COLOR.......Color is our friend.........:D

as far as title..hmmmmm.

I like the party of 1 twist.. I need something that will make them stay and look..

Maybe having to do with the number of seats? make them count? I dunno.. I will keep thinking on it and if you have a eureka, post me..

P.S> saw your entry in the gallery... looks awesome in there...and now that I have worked through a billion photos, I am back where I started..rolleyes1.gifrolleyesrolleyes1.gif

oh well,, art for the portfolio right? lol

Thanks Cubanthumb.gif
    Kat
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    Of the hay bales, I like Uphillier best. What do you think about 'Now where did I put that needle?' for a title.

I like the impact of the processing on Stormy #1.

That said, I like the bar stools best.

Great work on all of them. thumb.gif
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    Another suggestion on a title for the bar stools - Last one out, turn out the lights.

It's a beginning or end of day shot.

I also like Party of One. A bit ironic - How can you have a party with only one person?
    edited June 14, 2009
    Thanks.. I like up lifter too, it was one of my favs, but I really favored the heavenly series.... I thought it was cool that the cloud looked like puff the magic dragon.. that cloud is what lead my creativity in that direction on those..
    Uplifter is absolutely gorgeous in color..

the needle title made me laugh for sure.. but I think it is a tack they usually refer too... and it would work well if the seats were lower.. but that gives me something to build on... so thank you very much..thumb.gifrofl

Kat
    edited June 14, 2009
    WhatSheSaw wrote:
    Another suggestion on a title for the bar stools - Last one out, turn out the lights.

It's a beginning or end of day shot.

I also like Party of One. A bit ironic - How can you have a party with only one person?

True..

I was thinking party of 1 - 7 seats to go??

I dunno..headscratch.gif
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    I like the hay bales... that is something I have been looking at all along myself, except I wanted a field full of them and the only one I saw were they were laid out in a neat way was coming out of Dallas were I couldn't stop the other day.
    My favorite is still the mic... :D I refuse to conform I guess... lol. (yes, I have been like that my whole life. mwink.gif )

You need to enter the bar stools and get some sleep. This is just a contest, don'y make yourself sick with it. It is here for fun.

(and in the end, you should be entering what you love. That is what really matters. What picture really makes you feel good about your work? Enter it.)
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    You need to enter the bar stools and get some sleep. This is just a contest, don'y make yourself sick with it. It is here for fun.

(and in the end, you should be entering what you love. That is what really matters. What picture really makes you feel good about your work? Enter it.)

15524779-Ti.gif15524779-Ti.gif15524779-Ti.gif15524779-Ti.gif
    edited June 14, 2009
    bf2015 wrote:
    But the bar stools shot you have is just the opposite. There is something for everybody in that shot. For those of us that like symmetry like I do you have the bar stools all lined up (I still think it's cool how every single stool is perfectly lined on the tile). You have the bokkeh which is nice. Even a slight optical illusion. You can't look at this shot for just two seconds because the tiles and perfectly lined stools draw your eye from one end of the shot to the other. And that's what a photo is supposed to do!

Exactly my thoughts - thanks for fleshing out my (rushed out the door) original comment!

Above and beyond the visual interest, they have an untold story (isn't that Virginia's quote? Somebody's tag line, anyway): is it a real place? A set? A reproductioin? Do people go there? Where is it and what can you order? Do they still serve real milkshakes? etc etc. The hay bales are well shot, well processed pictures of .... a hay bale. But it's not one of those exclusively visual shots, and I don't ask myself any of the W's when I look at it. It's just... a well shot, well processed hay bale.

But ultimately, what I think doesn't really matter except as a bit of added feedback. Kat, stop second-guessing yourself. Submit the shot YOU like best, that makes YOU think "singular or plural", that makes YOU think, "you know, I am really proud of that, and it's what I meant to do". What the judges think really is entirely outside our control, so go with the things you can control, and pick the one that makes YOU feel good. You've got plenty to choose from! thumb.gif:D
    edited June 14, 2009
    dnie wrote:

HA!! I was writing while you posted!!!!!!!!!!!! :Drolleyes1.gif
    edited June 14, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    HA!! I was writing while you posted!!!!!!!!!!!! :Drolleyes1.gif

Funny!
    edited June 14, 2009
    You both came along and gave me my come up-ins.. HA...

You both are very kind.. and you make very good points.. one can tell you both have been through some rounds on here and are speaking from experience for sure.. I do like to get everyone's take on it....it always helps me to learn and
    "look at it in a different way James" ok,, James and the giant peach joke there for the parents..

Anyways, I love my hay.. WHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:whew..ok had to get that out.. but I cannot ignore the sound advice... it is just hay and in the end will be looked right over...

Hey sometimes I am a rebel gals... I mean look, I went against everyone's advice on the Energy contest and committed photog suicide on that one.. don't I get big girl points for that?

I will go with the stools, if I can some up with a name.. and
    I am going to listen to you and gut it out by posting my black and white shell.. Yep, I reshot that and I like it.. so will see which one looks best and then I will call it a week...... but I shot them so I gotta give them a chance too... hopefully I will have time to post by tonight,, if not will have to make that call on my own.. thanks for your support..thumb.gif

oh and Donna..I know what you are saying about the contests,, but it is my nature to go balls to the wall on competitions. I love them too much.. total high..lolwings.gifbarbwings.gif
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    Kat -

I heart heart heart the hay bail pics, but understand what the others are saying. Uphiller is really great - iloveyou.gif . Great work on those shots.
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
    edited June 14, 2009
    You both came along and gave me my come up-ins.. HA...

You both are very kind.. and you make very good points.. one can tell you both have been through some rounds on here and are speaking from experience for sure.. I do like to get everyone's take on it....it always helps me to learn and
    "look at it in a different way James" ok,, James and the giant peach joke there for the parents..

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:whew..ok had to get that out.. but I cannot ignore the sound advice... it is just hay and in the end will be looked right over...

Hey sometimes I am a rebel gals... I mean look, I went against everyone's advice on the Energy contest and committed photog suicide on that one.. don't I get big girl points for that?

I will go with the stools, if I can some up with a name.. and
    I am going to listen to you and gut it out by posting my black and white shell.. Yep, I reshot that and I like it.. so will see which one looks best and then I will call it a week...... but I shot them so I gotta give them a chance too... hopefully I will have time to post by tonight,, if not will have to make that call on my own.. thanks for your support..thumb.gif

oh and Donna..I know what you are saying about the contests,, but it is my nature to go balls to the wall on competitions. I love them too much.. total high..lolwings.gifbarbwings.gif

If you love the hay don't give up!!!! deal.gif

If you can go back today I would and just throw any standard composition out the window, just have at it, and see what new angles comes up that just work.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    A Stormy Harvest OPT #1

thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    A Stormy Harvest OPT #1, but I would lighten up the sky just a little bit.
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

edited June 14, 2009
    Well looks like my fit throwing worked:D:D:D

I got some hay votes.. ya know I am tired, and just want to get one in there.. so I am going with stormy harvest... I will try to have to workups by this evening, if I don't get it done in time then it will be a surprise.. I just spent 3 hours on the bar stools and I cannot fix that "HAZE" I think it happened when I messed with levels.. it is a nightmare... in order to pull those shadows out I have to use levels and curves and it blows everything else out or darkens it to the point it looks super contrasty and photo cartoonish.. So, I am going to go with stormy since everyone who pointed a vote for hay picks that one.. Option #1... I may try to throw that effect onto uphiller just to give me a choice..

thanks guys.. :D

man..... and I started early this time.. and what good did that do....

Kat
    edited June 14, 2009

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:
    Work on and enter what YOU love, Hopefully it will be what everyone loves too, but if you don't enter what you feel best about you will always wonder.
    I do love the hay bales and the stromy one is probably favorite simply because I like the contrast between the sky and the light hay. I like darkness in pictures though.
    edited June 14, 2009
    Thanks Donna.. I am going to go with stormy... and if I cannot pull that sky off as Allen suggests, the the good old mic is going into the gallery... because when I first posted that every single person liked it..... so it is a safe bet.. the more I look at it the more it grows on me now that I am up to my neck in all this photoshop..
    It is simple yet effective..:D

Kat
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    Kat - sorry about the shadows with the barstools photo....didn't mean for that suggestion to cause you all sorts of headaches. :cry
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    I have notice that we all here have really been all over the place on this challenge. So subjects so little time. The theme is so open and wide. It has really made it tough on me to pick my own favorite.
    I vote
    50s strong composition

Microphone best for the theme

Uphiller because I am an old farm boy

I really like some of the wheat shots I took but did i not feel them strong enough for the theme. SO when we have rural or crop DSS we will revisit those.
    These challenges do become quite the obsession to me, what a fun addiction though.
    Just Monday the madness will start all over again.
    Hoping for the English comedy themewings.gif
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/