*ENTRY* Thread DSS #28: Circle or Square

LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
edited June 29, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge #28

Welcome to Round #28 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges. This challenge is open to any Dgrin member. It will run from Monday, June 15, 08:00am, EST time (GMT -5) to Monday, June 29, 08:00am, EST time (GMT -5).

The topic ready for your interpretation: Circle or Square

Show off some shapes! Not just round. Not just angular. Your final image must feature a circle or a square somewhere within the frame. Polygons and ellipses shall be shunned. :wink So dig out those geometry books and look around: shapes can be found anywhere in anything. Be creative and have fun!

Your Judges:
shatch (Winner of Round 25)
divamum (Guest Judge)

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a Smugmug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page: Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your exif will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules, there have been some slight modifications.

Comments

• travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    One question please:

Would this ash-tray (for example) be considered a circle - or because it's not precisely a top view, it would be an ellipse?

564292360_2wFzZ-M.jpg

...also would be the indentations banned?
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    Hmm ... Circles, round, discs ...

This is the Discworld challenge, innit! headscratch.gifwings.gif
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    Okay, I'm not going to break out my compass for every shot. lol3.gif My hope is to avoid outright ovals and rectangles. thumb.gif
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    ok, this sounded really easy, for about 10 seconds...
    but I like it! Good theme Kerry!
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    There can be "both" a circle and a square in the image?
    how about many circles and many squares? is that legal too as long as there is one? but not one or the other right? headscratch.gifscratchheadscratch.gif I mean there can be both?

A little confused.. after looking at photobugs photo..
    edited June 15, 2009
    There can be "both" a circle and a square in the image?
    how about many circles and many squares? is that legal too as long as there is one? but not one or the other right? headscratch.gifscratchheadscratch.gif I mean there can be both?

A little confused.. after looking at photobugs photo..

Katmitchell,

From previous contests I know that:

When there is a theme containing a "or", both subjects can be present
    - it's up to your interpretation "or" imagination :)
    Travelways.com
    edited June 15, 2009
    Thanks Photobug.. Just wanted to make sure..thumb.gif

Kat
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    Definition
    deal.gif
    CIRCLE - A circle is a simple shape of Euclidean geometry consisting of those points in a plane which are the same distance from a given point called the centre. The common distance of the points of a circle from its center is called its radius.

SQUARE - a geometric figure consisting of a convex quadrilateral with sides of equal length that are positioned at right angles to each other as illustrated above. In other words, a square is a regular polygon with four sides.

Not to be confused with Ovals, Rectangles or Triangles. thumb.gif
    edited June 15, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Okay, I'm not going to break out my compass for every shot. lol3.gif My hope is to avoid outright ovals and rectangles. thumb.gif

Thank you Kerry
    Travelways.com
  • silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    Would a self-portrait count? I'm an engineer, and therefore, such a square mwink.gif

This is going to be hard. Looks like I'll have to carry my camera everywhere for the next two weeks. On the road back to NC next Friday, so I'd better get something off soon.
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10
    edited June 16, 2009
    silversx80 wrote:
    Would a self-portrait count? I'm an engineer, and therefore, such a square mwink.gif

This is going to be hard. Looks like I'll have to carry my camera everywhere for the next two weeks. On the road back to NC next Friday, so I'd better get something off soon.

===============

Silver !!!!!!!!!!! you brought up the SP word again... we had gotten her to forget that already... your not gonna be Mr. popular.. once Karin sees that..:nono:bwgrolleyes1.gif-- I already got chewed on for that one..:D
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    ===============

Silver !!!!!!!!!!! you brought up the SP word again... we had gotten her to forget that already... your not gonna be Mr. popular.. once Karin sees that..:nono:bwgrolleyes1.gif-- I already got chewed on for that one..:D

Naaaahhhhh! All bark, no bite! I was just kidding before, the more I think about it, it actually sounds kinda fun (stress on kinda). It would certainly challenge me, I've tried on several different occassions, and it's not as easy as some people make it look.
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    maybe i will see how far i can push the nudity rules:D j/k
    Aaron Nelson
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    maybe i will see how far i can push the nudity rules:D j/k

Aaron raises a good point, what about the naked man with the hedgehogs and the rings of fire?
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    pyry wrote:
    Aaron raises a good point, what about the naked man with the hedgehogs and the rings of fire?

It would require strategically placed hedgehogs, that's for sure...
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:

How would the hedgehogs have needed to be placed for "Breathing?" Ouch!

blbl.gif :deadhorse :hide
    edited June 16, 2009
    ic4u wrote:
    Naaaahhhhh! All bark, no bite! I was just kidding before, the more I think about it, it actually sounds kinda fun (stress on kinda). It would certainly challenge me, I've tried on several different occassions, and it's not as easy as some people make it look.

Ohhhhhhhh. Just G-r-e-a-t...Another one has been pulled to the dark side of Self Portrait... I am starting to feel all alone here.... :patch Houston We Have a Problem.. These photogs have lost their mind actually wanting a
    Self Portrait Challenge....:crazy:crazy:crazy:crazy
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    Ohhhhhhhh. Just G-r-e-a-t...Another one has been pulled to the dark side of Self Portrait... I am starting to feel all alone here.... :patch Houston We Have a Problem.. These photogs have lost their mind actually wanting a
    Self Portrait Challenge....:crazy:crazy:crazy:crazy

Hey, Kat. You can always just choose to not participate if "She Who Guides Our Photographic Quests" deems a self-portrait is in order. For example, I knew I didn't have the tools or time to get a good entry together for the "Book Cover" challenge. But in my case for an SP, my image would likely break way to many mirrors in too many homes to have my smug mug on other's screens. (Like how I built a plug in there?)

I've got two weekends to see what I can find and produce for #28. Looking forward to it...
    edited June 16, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:

Ouch!
    Creativity's hard.

edited June 16, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    Hey, Kat. You can always just choose to not participate if "She Who Guides Our Photographic Quests" deems a self-portrait is in order. For example, I knew I didn't have the tools or time to get a good entry together for the "Book Cover" challenge. But in my case for an SP, my image would likely break way to many mirrors in too many homes to have my smug mug on other's screens. (Like how I built a plug in there?)

I've got two weekends to see what I can find and produce for #28. Looking forward to it...

====================

:jawdropNot participate??????????????? that's insane..:jawdrop This is my addiction we are talking about here....umph.gifhow could I not participate.. I am just hoping she will allow hands or feet or maybe just the eyes..bowdown.gif

I have tried self portrait some, and without the proper lighting equipment it is beyond tough.... that's my fear..

but not participate... uh.. that's like not breathing..:lynnsitelol3.gif

Katrolleyes1.gif
    edited June 16, 2009
    ====================

:jawdropNot participate??????????????? that's insane..:jawdrop This is my addiction we are talking about here....umph.gifhow could I not participate.. I am just hoping she will allow hands or feet or maybe just the eyes..bowdown.gif

I have tried self portrait some, and without the proper lighting equipment it is beyond tough.... that's my fear..

Katrolleyes1.gif

i wasnt even planning on using my face, head, hands, or feet...:D j/k
    Aaron Nelson
    edited June 16, 2009
    eek7.gifhuheek7.gifhuhOMGOSH............Aaron.. Well then you better be sure to use the hedgehogs, else you will get DQ'ed....

Maybe you can call it :haha"Full Moon Out Tonight" by Aaron Nelson..:lol4
    edited June 16, 2009
    onto squares and circles for now. thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
    edited June 16, 2009
    i wasnt even planning on using my face, head, hands, or feet...:D j/k

What? Paint a face on your (beer) belly? lol3.gif
    Creativity's hard.

edited June 16, 2009
    now thats a good idea!
    Aaron Nelson
  • pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    pyry wrote:
    What? Paint a face on your (beer) belly? lol3.gif
    Is "Portly" or "Rotund" the same as circle? Hope so and then I can can a picture of myself :-)
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
    edited June 20, 2009
    pemmett wrote:
    Is "Portly" or "Rotund" the same as circle? Hope so and then I can can a picture of myself :-)

Depends on the shape of the projection.

Nothing a selective distort wouldn't help if needs be. mwink.gif You could end up looking like a Tolkien's dwarf if you swing around a tankard and wear a helmet :D
    Creativity's hard.

• pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    pyry wrote:
    Depends on the shape of the projection.

Nothing a selective distort wouldn't help if needs be. mwink.gif You could end up looking like a Tolkien's dwarf if you swing around a tankard and wear a helmet :D

Hmmm..... Sounds interesting. Maybe a good act to replace my hedgehog and rings of fire thingrolleyes1.gif
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    This is surely shaping up to be an exciting round! The judges are going to have a tough time on this one!

Nice job everyone so far!
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    ====================

Katrolleyes1.gif

I'm down for a foot self portrait challenge lol3.gif

As for regular self-portraits you just need to become creative with lighting, I did a few with my point-and-shoot camera last summer sometimes using one of those bendable lamps. But for the most part I'm with you, there are some photographers I know who do almost exclusively self-portraits and are very bold in what they will do in them. For me it's a much rarer thing Usually being a part of the body not a traditional portrait. But recently I did get some studio lights which is letting me have some fun with it.