*ENTRY* Thread DSS #28: Circle or Square

Comments

• KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    hey its date night and we rented "Mama Mia" , so does that count?
    (second time we rented it)ne_nau.gif (I cant say i hate it...but i will never admit i like it:D )

My sister subjected me to this movie.... Kind of hard to watch Mr. 007 sing about love.... it actually turned out to be somewhat bearable.. Either way I am getting a good laugh tonight imagining you sitting through it... wings.gif

The hubby and I rented The International and Passengers for the Friday night watch.... I hope their good...:D

Kat
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    Sorry Kerry, I need a delete too... this one to go.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    My sister subjected me to this movie.... Kind of hard to watch Mr. 007 sing about love.... it actually turned out to be somewhat bearable.. Either way I am getting a good laugh tonight imagining you sitting through it... wings.gif

The hubby and I rented The International and Passengers for the Friday night watch.... I hope their good...:D

Kat

Pierce Brosnan's S.O.S. was one of the things i liked most about the movie...ne_nau.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    You know, I could be so evil and just start declaring "no deletes." Muahaha. mwink.gif
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    Well, I'm working on an idea. Just not sure if I can get to Tasmania to complete it in time. :D

Stoned Wallabees make crop circles: Australian wallabies are eating opium poppies and creating crop circles as they hop around "as high as a kite", a government official has said.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    You know, I could be so evil and just start declaring "no deletes." Muahaha. mwink.gif

That would be a cool new rule for the future. Or you could deduct one vote per delete rolleyes1.gif
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    That would be a cool new rule for the future.

And then when the server goes down the night before the round closes and nobody can get their shot uploaded in time.... rolleyes1.gif

Kerry, is it easier for you just to have the deletion entries labeled as such in the gallery so you just cull them all en masse when the round closes, or would you prefer them to be pointed out to you for "running deletions" as people have this time out? Serious question - just wondering what makes it easiest for you.

This one point is the only drawback to the entry galleries - they're awesome in all other ways and thus reverting to the entry thread format is NOT being suggested - but it was nice to have full control over one's entry.

(Remember McKee's Constantly Changing Santa Still Life? That was hilarious!! I'd check it every day just to see what had been added - it was like a constantly evolving "I Spy" book :D)
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    divamum wrote:

(Remember McKee's Constantly Changing Santa Still Life? That was hilarious!! I'd check it every day just to see what had been added - it was like a constantly evolving "I Spy" book :D)

Speaking of McKee, anyone know where he's been???? I miss his one-of-a-kind entries!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
    edited June 26, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:

Uh oh... the Temperamental Irishwoman, is surfacing :hide:hide:hide
  • miskatonic_universitymiskatonic_university Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited June 27, 2009
    You know, I'm anxious as all get on this one. Can't wait to see the finalists!! :duel biggrinbounce2.gif :bash I didn't enter anything great but I really want to see what's going to make it and see some mega challenge and awards going to some shooters! *giddy**giddy**giddy*
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:

We'd be doomed! DOOOMED!

lol3.gif

(make it a week long round, theme something like "Nail biting", no changing entries and we can't see each others entries before the deadline and no c&c threads to make it a little extreme mwink.gif )
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2009
    pyry wrote:
    (make it a week long round, theme something like "Nail biting", no changing entries and we can't see each others entries before the deadline and no c&c threads to make it a little extreme mwink.gif )

15524779-Ti.gif Or maybe "Cliff Hanger" for a theme.

That'd be some serious :lurk Everybody would be :devbobo and :slurp and :bash and by the end of the week we'd all be :smo :smo :smo

And afterwards I'd be :wow bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif then 11doh.gif why didn't I headscratch.gif of that?

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif:D
    edited June 27, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Kerry, is it easier for you just to have the deletion entries labeled as such in the gallery so you just cull them all en masse when the round closes, or would you prefer them to be pointed out to you for "running deletions" as people have this time out?

Either way works, honestly, but I really, really appreciate when people label deletions in the gallery. That's extremely helpful and most folks have gotten into the habit of doing that. :D
    pyry wrote:

Ooooh, that's even more tempting than a self-portrait round. naughty.gif
    edited June 27, 2009
    bf2015 wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif Or maybe "Cliff Hanger" for a theme.

That'd be some serious :lurk Everybody would be :devbobo and :slurp and :bash and by the end of the week we'd all be :smo :smo :smo

And afterwards I'd be :wow bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif then 11doh.gif why didn't I headscratch.gif of that?

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif:D

========

Your too funny Brian.. I loved this... It reminds me of old school books...

Kat
    edited June 27, 2009
    Entry Title Question
    Kerry,,

I am not sure I am right, and I looked at the rules again and again, but I could have sworn I read somewhere at one time that we are not supposed to use the actual words that are used to title the competition in our own individual titles.

Is this true? I think I read that once, but I cannot find it in the rules anymore.. If so, I need to change the name of my entry,, I named it " Circles of Coercion". At the time it seemed to fit and I ran with it. However, I would hate to get dqed over the title.

I tried to change it, but it won't let me.. what should I do? and is the name fine the way it is?

Sorry to be a pain,, eventually all of these rules will become second nature..

Thanks,:D

Kat
    edited June 27, 2009
    Kerry,,

I am not sure I am right, and I looked at the rules again and again, but I could have sworn I read somewhere at one time that we are not supposed to use the actual words that are used to title the competition in our own individual titles.

Is this true? I think I read that once, but I cannot find it in the rules anymore.. If so, I need to change the name of my entry,, I named it " Circles of Coercion". At the time it seemed to fit and I ran with it. However, I would hate to get dqed over the title.

I tried to change it, but it won't let me.. what should I do? and is the name fine the way it is?

Kat

Kat, I am pretty sure that was never a rule, just an artistic suggestion.

Dan
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2009
    Kerry,

I hate to add to the insanity of this round but I have a question. I hate to ask, but I need to know if this is ok.
    http://challenges.smugmug.com/gallery/8565009_rLiZ3#572798816_TuP6v
    I don't want to get DQ'ed for it looking like a frame, even though it is just work I did to eliminate the little bit of glass from the next row of blocks

Thank you!
    edited June 27, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Kat, I am pretty sure that was never a rule, just an artistic suggestion.

Dan

Hi Dan.. Thanks for chiming in..:D

Well, what is your advice? Should I just leave it the way it is? headscratch.gif

Or should I change is to "Rounds of Coercion" ? I am stuck between the two..

and I don't know where I read that but I must have read it somewhere on the boards.. so just ignore me if I am being air headed..

Kat
    edited June 27, 2009

Well, what is your advice? Should I just leave it the way it is? headscratch.gif

and I don't know where I read that but I must have read it somewhere on the boards.. so just ignore me if I am being air headed..

Kat

if i remember it was Emily suggesting to not use the words in your title as she wanted people to be more creative in expression than just plain obvious....
    Aaron Nelson
    edited June 27, 2009
    ok,, thank you Aaron. I knew I remembered reading that somewhere...

Well, I think I will go with the play on words, be more creative, and go with "Rounds of Coercion". I don't know how to change the title. I hope I am not going to have to re-upload it and delete it again..

Kerry is gonna ban me just for being a pain in the butt..........:D:bwg:hide
    edited June 27, 2009

Kat

You certainly could leave it as is, but "Rounds Of Coercion" IS Very cool imo.
    edited June 27, 2009
    ok,, thank you Aaron. I knew I remembered reading that somewhere...

Well, I think I will go with the play on words, be more creative, and go with "Rounds of Coercion". I don't know how to change the title. I hope I am not going to have to re-upload it and delete it again..

Kerry is gonna ban me just for being a pain in the butt..........:D:bwg:hide

You just login and edit the title yourself.:D
    edited June 27, 2009
    11doh.gif --haha.. What a bumble head... Thanks Dan... I logged in the first time to do that, and because of the way the edit link shows next to my exif link only, I thought I could not get in to do that.. This is the first time I have ever had to go back and change or delete an entry like this, can you tell?

Changed it... and thanks for the help Dan, appreciate it....:Dthumb.gif

Kat
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2009
    Kerry,,

Kat

Hi Kat,

One example off of top of my head would be Jeff Meyers' entry called "A Singular Catch" in the last round "Singular or Plural" so you should be ok.

edit: It looks like you have already decided to change it. The new title is very good too!
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

edited June 27, 2009
    Yowza, I go out to run some errands... eek7.gif

Personally, being the grammar and language nut I am, I have some editorially strong feelings against using theme words in photo titles. I don't DQ on it, but it's a bit creatively disappointing, especially considering the work that goes into the entries themselves. Why skimp on the title? (Or bloat it...if there's more than four words in a title, my eyes glaze over. But again, that's personal preference and does not affect my impartial DQ-determining side. :D)

Dnie, I'd swear I answered your PM. I know I went to look at your entry. I can see that it isn't a frame added in post, so I'll allow it. thumb.gif
    edited June 27, 2009
    Thanks Kerry...:D
    edited June 27, 2009
    Hi Kat,

One example off of top of my head would be Jeff Meyers' entry called "A Singular Catch" in the last round "Singular or Plural" so you should be ok.

edit: It looks like you have already decided to change it. The new title is very good too!

Thanks Allen... Yep, I changed it.. One day hopefully soon, this will all
    just "flow"..thumb.gif

Kat
    edited June 27, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    I have some editorially strong feelings against using theme words in photo titles. I don't DQ on it, but it's a bit creatively disappointing, especially considering the work that goes into the entries themselves. Why skimp on the title? (Or bloat it...if there's more than four words in a title, my eyes glaze over.

me three
    Aaron Nelson
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2009
    Kerry - So sorry, but I need an image deleted - by accident I uploaded an image for my photog class headscratch.gifhuh - can be found here.
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Yowza, I go out to run some errands... eek7.gif

Personally, being the grammar and language nut I am, I have some editorially strong feelings against using theme words in photo titles. I don't DQ on it, but it's a bit creatively disappointing, especially considering the work that goes into the entries themselves. Why skimp on the title? (Or bloat it...if there's more than four words in a title, my eyes glaze over. But again, that's personal preference and does not affect my impartial DQ-determining side. :D)

Dnie, I'd swear I answered your PM. I know I went to look at your entry. I can see that it isn't a frame added in post, so I'll allow it. thumb.gif

Thanks Kerry.
    I checked a couple of times since you are so good at answering and I never got it. maybe a glich, who knows, but thanks.