Options

First time post - Desaturation issues

SungsterSungster Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited June 26, 2009 in Finishing School
I am having a desaturation issue everytime I upload pics. This only recently started and use to NOT be a problem with smugmug. Nothing has changed in my process and it use to upload fine. I am aware of color space being sRGB. I have viewed on several monitors including PC's. I use a MAC OSX. To reiteratemy process has not changed from when it worked before. I heard that there might have been a coding change that might cause the problem. Sorry if this is the wrong place for the post. Its my first time.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    Hi, could you please post the pic you sent to the help desk? ear.gif
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2009
    Here is the link. The last image #7260 uploaded is looking desaturated on my screen compared to the rest of the previously loaded images. CAn you see it on your screeen? Same process and upload proceedures.

http://dreamscape.smugmug.com/gallery/8426169_N4UeE#565212420_tVDWf
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2009
    Sungster wrote:
    Here is the link. The last image #7260 uploaded is looking desaturated on my screen compared to the rest of the previously loaded images. CAn you see it on your screeen? Same process and upload proceedures.

http://dreamscape.smugmug.com/gallery/8426169_N4UeE#565212420_tVDWf
    There are two versions of 7260 in your gallery right next to one another #1 and #2. The first one is both brighter and has less saturation. If I grab the original and put control points on it in Photoshop and set them to LAB (which separates color from luminosity), I can clearly see differences in both luminosity and color between the two different versions of the same shot. All I can say is that they must have been different when uploaded to Smugmug since Smugmug preserves the original (unless the colorspace was not sRGB in which case it converts it to sRGB).

Can you explain how you got two versions of the same image in the gallery? You must have created them both somehow.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2009
    How do I attach a screen capture
    I got a good example of what I just did from lightroom, converted to jpg for smugmug and uploaded. It came in lighter. But how do I attach the screen capture. The gallery is new
    http://dreamscape.smugmug.com/gallery/8623226_crYX7#568943909_p3xFP
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2009
    Sungster wrote:
    I got a good example of what I just did from lightroom, converted to jpg for smugmug and uploaded. It came in lighter. But how do I attach the screen capture. The gallery is new
    http://dreamscape.smugmug.com/gallery/8623226_crYX7#568943909_p3xFP
    I can see those versions. What did you do differently when creating them? The key is in how you prepared them differently.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2009
    Versions
    Oh no that link is not to the ones that are different. Those are treatments I did on purpose. If you could tell be how to attach a file I will send a screen capture of the same image side by side one prepped right before upload to smugmug and the other right after it was received.
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2009
    Here it is I think
    OK I hope this works. Attached in a screen shot of the uploaded file after it posts in smugmug (the one on the right. The other is the image right before it gets uploaded. See the desaturation? Nothing changes before upload to smugmug.
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2009
    Sungster wrote:
    OK I hope this works. Attached in a screen shot of the uploaded file after it posts in smugmug (the one on the right. The other is the image right before it gets uploaded. See the desaturation? Nothing changes before upload to smugmug.

Are you using Safari on a Mac as your browser?

The first thing to do is to take your image from Lightroom, export it to an sRGB JPEG on your local hard disk, then open that JPEG right from the hard disk in your browser (no upload to Smugmug yet). You should be able to do File/Open in the browser and then point at the file on disk. Then compare that view in the browser to what you saw in LR.

If you see a difference there, then it obviously has nothing to do with Smugmug - it has something to do with either a difference in LR/Safari rendering or an issue with the export process from LR.

If you don't see a difference there, then please upload that JPEG to a Smugmug gallery that has originals enabled and post a link to that gallery and I will download the original and take a look at it.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2009
    OK Tried it
    OK here is the screen shot of the image inlocal mac browser (not safari). Side by side with the lightroom image. It IS shifting upon upload to smugmug.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    Sungster wrote:
    OK here is the screen shot of the image inlocal mac browser (not safari).

That's preview. Jfriend said to open it in Safari on our mac - drag the fle to safari, or right click, open in Safari.
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2009
    I did it
    Andy wrote:
    That's preview. Jfriend said to open it in Safari on our mac - drag the fle to safari, or right click, open in Safari.

OK I dragged the image into safari and it is exactly like the image should be. So all is pointing to smugmug.
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2009
    Sungster wrote:
    OK I dragged the image into safari and it is exactly like the image should be. So all is pointing to smugmug.
    Then, please do the next step I asked and post a link to it when you've done so.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2009
    Link
    Sorry not familiar with how that works. Do I just cut and past the url. But how could that be since is on my computer and not pushed to the web? I'm not clear on that last step.
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2009
    Sungster wrote:
    Sorry not familiar with how that works. Do I just cut and past the url. But how could that be since is on my computer and not pushed to the web? I'm not clear on that last step.
    Here's what I wrote in my prior post:

If you don't see a difference there, then please upload that JPEG to a Smugmug gallery that has originals enabled and post a link to that gallery and I will download the original and take a look at it.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Do you have somewhere you can upload the photo where we can access it OTHER than smugmug? A mobileme account, for example, or a blog or a wiki?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2009
    Link
    OK Here's the link to the smugmug gallery with original available. Check out the same shot that I've been posting. I just noticed that when I select original the color seems to come back but any other size is desaturated. So looks like theres a bug. But you tell me.

http://dreamscape.smugmug.com/gallery/8623226_crYX7#568945459_dJSsJ
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2009
    Sungster wrote:
    OK Here's the link to the smugmug gallery with original available. Check out the same shot that I've been posting. I just noticed that when I select original the color seems to come back but any other size is desaturated. So looks like theres a bug. But you tell me.

http://dreamscape.smugmug.com/gallery/8623226_crYX7#568945459_dJSsJ
    All sizes look the same to me in Firefox 3 with color-management enabled. The original shows sRGB which is as it should be. What browser are you viewing them in and is it color-managed?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2009
    There does seem to be a very subtle color shift here. I can't see it but I can measure it.

Here is what I did:
    1. Download both original and X3 sizes.
    2. Open both in photoshop.
    3. Resize original to 800x534 pixels (need to use unconstrained resize. For some reason SM's resize of off by a pixel or so. Roundoff of some sort? Shouldn't be.)
    4. Layer resized original over L.
    5. Set some colorsampler points
    6. Toggle visibility of original layer and watch the values.

When I toggle, I can't see the difference, but the numbers do read a little different. I have uploaded a psd file with the layering and sampler points; get it here.

I don't know if this is measuring the right thing. The difference is very subtle. I'd never see it. Sungster, please download the layered file and see if the differences between layers is what you see on smugmug.

I can easily imagine that resampling would cause some color differences at some points...
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    There does seem to be a very subtle color shift here. I can't see it but I can measure it.

Here is what I did:
    1. Download both original and X3 sizes.
    2. Open both in photoshop.
    3. Resize original to 800x534 pixels (need to use unconstrained resize. For some reason SM's resize of off by a pixel or so. Roundoff of some sort? Shouldn't be.)
    4. Layer resized original over L.
    5. Set some colorsampler points
    6. Toggle visibility of original layer and watch the values.
    When I toggle, I can't see the difference, but the numbers do read a little different. I have uploaded a psd file with the layering and sampler points; get it here.

I don't know if this is measuring the right thing. The difference is very subtle. I'd never see it. Sungster, please download the layered file and see if the differences between layers is what you see on smugmug.

I can easily imagine that resampling would cause some color differences at some points...
    When Smugmug resamples to make the web versions, they also sharpen which will change the image a bit too. Nothing visible from the standpoint of color, but if you were looking at the numbers, that could contribute to slight numeric differences.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2009
    Ok
    I downloaded the file and yours looks pretty saturated when I pull into photoshop but does not look the same when I view it outside of photoshop. See comparison to the file on my computer. I'm not sure what's going on to cause this. I'm not as technical as you guys so is there a magical setting that I'm missing.
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2009
    Another
    See here it is pulled into photoshop
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2009
    Here's whats happening
    I just uploaded another image and there is a saturation shift between the different image sizes. So in the past example the shift occurs anything below Original size so it loses color. In the new image it happens between going from medium to large. See for yourself. Click on medium size then on large size. Color desaturates. Drives me really crazy....

http://dreamscape.smugmug.com/gallery/8652554_wgdoW#571088593_BzLgr-M-LB
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2009
    Sungster wrote:
    I just uploaded another image and there is a saturation shift between the different image sizes. So in the past example the shift occurs anything below Original size so it loses color. In the new image it happens between going from medium to large. See for yourself. Click on medium size then on large size. Color desaturates. Drives me really crazy....

http://dreamscape.smugmug.com/gallery/8652554_wgdoW#571088593_BzLgr-M-LB
    I don't see a color change between M and L sizes. That leads me to suspect it's something with your system configuration.

Is there a reason you didn't answer my question about what browser you're viewing these in?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2009
    What if you turn on and off the visibility of the top layer in photoshop? I've circled the button in red.

571184296_gggnJ-O.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    I don't see a color change between M and L sizes. That leads me to suspect it's something with your system configuration.

Is there a reason you didn't answer my question about what browser you're viewing these in?

Sorry probably because I just missed the question. I'm viewing in Safari OS 10.4.11
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2009
    jfriend wrote:

Curious how system configuration might affect going between to different viewing sizes within smugmug. Just trying to understand it better.
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    What if you turn on and off the visibility of the top layer in photoshop? I've circled the button in red.

571184296_gggnJ-O.jpg

Can you explain how that might affect the desaturation between image sizes? Thanks.
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2009
    Sungster wrote:
    Can you explain how that might affect the desaturation between image sizes? Thanks.
    I don't know. Chances are it has something to do with colorspaces on the images and the interaction of that with color management on your system. But, since I can't see the problem here, I really have no idea what's causing it or how to debug further.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2009
    Sungster wrote:

It's supposed to be a very controlled experiment. The two layers are the original image and smugmug's X3 image resized (by photoshop) to the same size. The colors are not exactly the same as measured by photoshop, but neither jfriend nor I can see the difference and we don't think it's significant.

If you can see the difference, it eliminates all the software on your system (except) photoshop. Both images are viewed by the very same color controlled software. If you can't see the difference, it tends to point the finger at some configuration of your system or at your browser.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    It's supposed to be a very controlled experiment. The two layers are the original image and smugmug's X3 image resized (by photoshop) to the same size. The colors are not exactly the same as measured by photoshop, but neither jfriend nor I can see the difference and we don't think it's significant.

If you can see the difference, it eliminates all the software on your system (except) photoshop. Both images are viewed by the very same color controlled software. If you can't see the difference, it tends to point the finger at some configuration of your system or at your browser.
    I tried what you said. I see no difference. So is there anything I can try to adjust. I can't live with this frustration anymore!