A New Kind Of Challenge - Framing

bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
edited June 25, 2009 in People
Think of this as a challenge; think of this as an exercise; think of this as a challenging exercise.
It's called Framing, and it is designed to help you learn to utilize every square micron of your sensor or film frame - the center, the corners, the edges; they're all equally important. So...

Grab a camera and either a prime lens, or a zoom which you tape at a pre-selected focal length no longer than 110 mm (35 mm equivalent). Find a subject. Take that subject anywhere you want to do the shoot. Position your subject anyway you want to position them - sitting, standing, lying, flying, whatever. Now, you position yourself. AND ONCE YOU AND THE SUBJECT ARE POSITIONED, NEITHER OF YOU MAY MOVE YOUR FEET.

Now start shooting, trying to frame the subject in as many interesting and useful ways as you can come up with. Take about 70 shots. And then on Wednesday, June 24, post your five best shots and we'll discuss them.

See you then.

B. D.
bd@bdcolenphoto.com
"He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed

Comments

• ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    bump

Richard, perhaps you should stick this?
    If not now, when?
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    This sounds like a really challenging exercise. Thinking about keeping my feet in one place (well, literally two places) while wielding the camera is already making my mind spin with ideas. Fixed focal length for the entire shoot - ummmmm - not going to be easy.

I'm going to give it a try.

Virginia

Email
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:
    This sounds like a really challenging exercise. Thinking about keeping my feet in one place (well, literally two places) while wielding the camera is already making my mind spin with ideas. Fixed focal length for the entire shoot - ummmmm - not going to be easy.

Virginia

Terrific, Virginia! You're right - it is very challenging. I will be the first to admit that when I did this exercise in a Eugene Richards workshop I made a total mess of it. On the other hand, I have had some students over the years who have come up with some extremely clever ways to work around the restrictions.

B. D.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:

Virginia

15524779-Ti.gif

I'm really digging primes at the moment anyway (oh, that I had the money for the 135L I covet!), so that part appeals to me already :D

I've persuaded the Junior Division to play model for me ("For an assignment? Oh, allllright then, I suppose I can do it for you. But do I have to smile and am I allowed to move anything other than my feet?" rolleyes1.gif)
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    Sorry, just want to be clear:
    Can subject change pose?
    Can I keep the distance but change the vantage point (lower/higher)?
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

I'm really digging primes at the moment anyway (oh, that I had the money for the 135L I covet!), so that part appeals to me already :D

I've persuaded the Junior Division to play model for me ("For an assignment? Oh, allllright then, I suppose I can do it for you. But do I have to smile and am I allowed to move anything other than my feet?" rolleyes1.gif)
    Just be happy she didn't also ask for $$ :D:lol
    edited June 18, 2009
    Just be happy she didn't also ask for $$ :D:lol

Oh, she tried... rolleyes1.gif (mean, mean, MEAN mommy that I am I said, "Uh... no." :lol :D)
    edited June 18, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Oh, she tried... rolleyes1.gif (mean, mean, MEAN mommy that I am I said, "Uh... no." :lol :D)
    It's easy, actually: tell her it's either TF* or you charge *her* :-) mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Sorry, just want to be clear:
    Can subject change pose?
    Can I keep the distance but change the vantage point (lower/higher)?

Yup, just need this clarified too. ne_nau.gif
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
    edited June 19, 2009
    whiterice wrote:

Bump - hoping for clarification.
    - Christopher
    edited June 19, 2009
    whiterice wrote:

You can move everything mwink.gif BUT your feet. Your subject can do the same. So think very carefully before you decide on positions.

I will tell you I made a complete botch of this assignment the one time I had to do it. I sat my subject in a chair, by a fence on a steep little rise. I then positioned myself below the subject on the rise. But I'd forgotten that if I tried to move around at all I'd fall over. thumb.gif So do think carefully about this.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

edited June 19, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    You can move everything mwink.gif BUT your feet. Your subject can do the same. So think very carefully before you decide on positions.

I will tell you I made a complete botch of this assignment the one time I had to do it. I sat my subject in a chair, by a fence on a steep little rise. I then positioned myself below the subject on the rise. But I'd forgotten that if I tried to move around at all I'd fall over. thumb.gif So do think carefully about this.

This helps, thanks BD. I was assuming that the subject had to maintain a pose. Time to start thinking about this one....
    - Christopher
    edited June 19, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    I sat my subject in a chair, by a fence on a steep little rise. I then positioned myself below the subject on the rise. But I'd forgotten that if I tried to move around at all I'd fall over. thumb.gif

rolleyes1.gifrofl

OK. No steep hills. Good thing, too, because it looks like my model is going to be even older and less flexible than I am.

Now, how about some decent weather for an outdoor shoot. They are saying rainy for the entire next week.

Good thing I have some indoor ideas too.

Virginia

Email
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    I'm in on this. It's been a while since I've done some challenges.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
    edited June 21, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:
    I'm in on this. It's been a while since I've done some challenges.

Go for it Frank - and I hope to make this the first of several, if not many exercises/challenges - one of which will not even require -or allow - a camera.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:

Sounds like playing Twister only with a camera in your hands! Actually sounds like a great learning exercise and a difficult one. Hmmm....need a willing victim...uh, subject. mwink.gif
    edited June 21, 2009
    saurora wrote:
    Sounds like playing Twister only with a camera in your hands! Actually sounds like a great learning exercise and a difficult one. Hmmm....need a willing victim...uh, subject. mwink.gif
    Wow, look who showed up... mwink.gif :saurora
    edited June 22, 2009
    Bob, just to recap.

We must pick a distance. Focal length not to exceen 110mm (35mm eq.)

Once planted, you can't move your feet and neither can your subject. Elevation and pose change are allowed. 70 or so frames, and the 5 best come here. One quick question that I didn't see asked, or read over. I personally don't have a full frame camera. I'm on DX format, and it gives a 1.5x boost to the focal length. If I set my 200mm to 110mm for this shoot, it'll actually be equivaletn to 165mm. So personally, and for anyone who has a DX format SLR/DSLR, I can't set the focal lenght longer than 73mm.

Also, are we allowed to add light? Or are we restricted to the natural light only. And I'm going to assume, once your lights are in place, they can't move ither. (If that's allowed.)
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • mpauliempaulie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:
    are we restricted to the natural light only. And I'm going to assume, once your lights are in place, they can't move either. (If that's allowed.)

Good question!
    edited June 22, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:
    Bob, just to recap.

We must pic a distance. Focal length not to exceen 110mm (35mm eq.)

Once planted, you can't move your feet and neither can your subject. Elevation and pose change are allowed. 70 or so frames, and the 5 best come here. One quick question that I didn't see asked, or read over. I personally don't have a full frame camera. I'm on DX format, and it gives a 1.5x boost to the focal length. If I set my 200mm to 110mm for this shoot, it'll actually be equivaletn to 165mm. So personally, and for anyone who has a DX format SLR/DSLR, I can't set the focal lenght longer than 73mm.

Also, are we allowed to add light? Or are we restricted to the natural light only. And I'm going to assume, once your lights are in place, they can't move ither. (If that's allowed.)

My inclination is to say available light only please. And if you have a shorter lens, I'd prefer that you use it. The rest of it is as you have laid it out - but keep in mind that pose change does not allow the model to change foot position. mwink.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited June 23, 2009
    Just to save everyone a bit of scrolling, I started a new thread for posting results and discussing this exercise.
    edited June 23, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Just to save everyone a bit of scrolling, I started a new thread for posting results and discussing this exercise.

Awesome! Thanks a bundle Richard.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited June 24, 2009
    I was going to ask a couple of questions, but I see I am late to the party as usual.

"A couple questions...

Must they all be with the same focal length?
    Apparently, yes.

Must they all be available light? ( eg: no flash? )"----Apparently, yes.

I have a few other questions, then

Must they all be shot in the same limited time period, as opposed to returning to the same precise location at different times of the day as the sun moves overhead?

Is the model allowed to alter their wardrobe between shots?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited June 24, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    I was going to ask a couple of questions, but I see I am late to the party as usual.

"A couple questions...

Must they all be with the same focal length?
    Apparently, yes.

Must they all be available light? ( eg: no flash? )"----Apparently, yes.

I have a few other questions, then

Must they all be shot in the same limited time period, as opposed to returning to the same precise location at different times of the day as the sun moves overhead?

Is the model allowed to alter their wardrobe between shots?

I just answered these over on the extension of this thread. But again...

Yes, they must be shot with the same focal length.
    I prefer that they be available light.
    They must be shot at the same time.
    If the model can change clothes without moving his or her feet, go for it. ;-)
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

edited June 24, 2009
    I thought of having my model change clothing but gave it up as we were shooting in drizzle and, for some reason, my model was not willing to toss his clothes onto the wet grass!!

Thinking of B.D.'s comments so far on what has been already been posted, I think that a clothing change might be fun, but beside the point he is trying to get us to grasp.

Arghhhh. This is really a hard exercise.

Virginia

Email
    edited June 24, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:
    I thought of having my model change clothing but gave it up as we were shooting in drizzle and, for some reason, my model was not willing to toss his clothes onto the wet grass!!

Thinking of B.D.'s comments so far on what has been already been posted, I think that a clothing change might be fun, but beside the point he is trying to get us to grasp.

Virginia

It is, you should pardon me, truly a bitch. But that's why it's valuable.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

edited June 24, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:

Virginia

nod.gif

Yup, it is!
    edited June 24, 2009
    Well, we all agree on at least one thing!

Va

Email
    edited June 24, 2009
    I actually don't find the forward/backward limitation such a big deal - I've been shooting primes a lot recently anyway (often limited by surroundings, eg on a ladder in the studio, or in a theater) so have been doing lots of twisting, bending, leaning and crouching in those contexts, so in a strange way it feels "normal". What I'm finding hard is setting it up for some kind of interest or success; I think in many ways I'll get more out of this if I control it less and respond more, or at least throw in a random element as you did, Virginia - the passersby (and river traffic) added interest to your shots.

Making me think differently which is why I'm continuing to ponder despite the dismal failure of my first set!!
    edited June 24, 2009
    Important Modification Of The Assignment
    divamum wrote:
    I actually don't find the forward/backward limitation such a big deal - I've been shooting primes a lot recently anyway (often limited by surroundings, eg on a ladder in the studio, or in a theater) so have been doing lots of twisting, bending, leaning and crouching in those contexts, so in a strange way it feels "normal". What I'm finding hard is setting it up for some kind of interest or success; I think in many ways I'll get more out of this if I control it less and respond more, or at least throw in a random element as you did, Virginia - the passersby (and river traffic) added interest to your shots.

Making me think differently which is why I'm continuing to ponder despite the dismal failure of my first set!!

IMPORTANT - I occasionally forget things.rolleyes1.gif So here is a slight modification to the assignment that just may make it slightly easier...

IF you decide to have your model sit, he or she MAY move their feet - but then they must keep their rear fastened to the seat. So if they stand, the feet must stay in the same place; if they sit, the feet, and therefore the legs, may move.

Everyone understand?
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com